ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Hockey Season!

I was surprised at how much time ESPN gave the NHL after the NL wild card highlights. There must have been a good solid 5 minutes of highlights.

Milan Lucic is in midseason form for the Kings, missing an empty net and then gooning it up with a few minutes to play.

The Bruins open up at home tonight, and if I had to guess who their opponent was, I would never have guessed Winnipeg. Boston has won 13 straight against Winnipeg at the Gah-din!

Here we go Bruins, here we go!

Reactions: BlingBlingxii
Well the Lightning wasted no time trying out the new, 3 on 3 overtime rule. Holy hell, is that method set up solely for offense. Nothing but breakaways & odd man rushes, had to have been a dozen of them in the couple of minutes before Tampa scored.

Well the Lightning wasted no time trying out the new, 3 on 3 overtime rule. Holy hell, is that method set up solely for offense. Nothing but breakaways & odd man rushes, had to have been a dozen of them in the couple of minutes before Tampa scored.

And the game ends with a defenseman scoring on a breakaway. I think that the 3 on 3 is a bigger gimmick than the shootout, but I'll take the 3 v 3 over the shootout.

Yeah, the 3 on 3 is certainly gimmicky, but at least it's fast-paced & has some excitement. In a couple of years they'll jazz it up again by putting multiple pucks in play, with the first team to score with any of them getting the win.

The 3 on 3 was unbelievable last night!!! That was the loudest I have heard that building outside a playoff game. We were standing the entire 3 on 3. The place really erupted after Bishops save after a penalty shot was awarded in the 3 on 3. If the NHL was looking to add excitement and end games, I believe they have succeeded. I will also go out on a limb and say that there are not many teams that will hang with the Bolts in the 3 on 3. The matchups that can be created by them will be hard to touch. The refs last night were obviously in their first game of the year as well as they sucked. Two penalty shots?!?!

SMH at the Bruins. They are bad and it got worse now Marchand in out. Could be a long season.

God, the Bruins suck, 16 goals in three games with the highest paid goalie between the pipes, it's just awful.

I tell you, we will not see many PK shootouts because there will be at least 5-6 breakaways/PK's during the OT.

What happens when there is a penalty in OT? Does it become a 3 v 2 or does one team add a player and play 4 v 3? If it's 4 v 3, what happens to the player who commits the penalty, does he sit in the tank for 2 minutes?

They add a player and make it 4-3 during OT.

The Bruins remind me of the years between Jon Casey and Tim Thomas when they played really bad defense and ate goalies alive, specifically the Dave Lewis years.

My Islanders finally won a game against a team that did NOT win the Stanley Cup last year!!!

I feel watching them against Winnipeg that teams are going to try pushing the Isle's around based on the Islanders NOT reacting properly to a little goonery in the playoffs last year. The lineup is almost exactly the same as last year's. Considering how young the team is that may not be such a bad thing if they continue to improve. I really would have liked to see one more physical stay at home defensemen....not like they are falling off trees in any case.

Go Islanders!!!

Yeah the B's had a great start yesterday and then gave up 6 to my Bolts. First time the Bolts have won in Boston since, I believe, 2010.

I also heard today that the B's are shopping Chara and Marchand.

My Islanders finally won a game against a team that did NOT win the Stanley Cup last year!!!

I feel watching them against Winnipeg that teams are going to try pushing the Isle's around based on the Islanders NOT reacting properly to a little goonery in the playoffs last year. The lineup is almost exactly the same as last year's. Considering how young the team is that may not be such a bad thing if they continue to improve. I really would have liked to see one more physical stay at home defensemen....not like they are falling off trees in any case.

Go Islanders!!!
Johnny Rockets should cheris that roll for the Isles. Man I wish the Bruins still had him.

I don't mind the Bruins shopping these guys just as long as we get something in return.

Odd season for the Bruins so far. Undefeated on the road including going west and winless at home.

B's have liked good. A quality win over the Isle's and smoking the yotes. Hopefully they can remain competitive.

I'm really happy with what Jimmy Hayes has done so far. He is getting to the net but skates pretty good. Love having a local kid come home and do well.

B's have liked good. A quality win over the Isle's and smoking the yotes. Hopefully they can remain competitive.

I'm really happy with what Jimmy Hayes has done so far. He is getting to the net but skates pretty good. Love having a local kid come home and do well.
That third line with Spooner and Beleskey has played decent, both of those additions look good.
Nice road swing through Florida with two more quality wins. The lines and defensive pairings are developing some decent chemistry, the youngun's are playing well too. After that disastrous three game start in which we gave up 16 goals, this is a good turnaround to say the least.

That goal that Beleskey scored was a great hustle play by the whole line.

I really like what Hayes has done so far. He is getting to the net but is skating well. Connelly is contributing which is huge, hopefully for the Bruins he is a late bloomer.

That goal that Beleskey scored was a great hustle play by the whole line.

I really like what Hayes has done so far. He is getting to the net but is skating well. Connelly is contributing which is huge, hopefully for the Bruins he is a late bloomer.
Bruins lose yet another at home, despite out shooting the Stars by 20, Rask is struggling to say the least. Seguin gets the hat trick taking advantage of our penalty killing incompetence. Kelly is out, possibly for the season with a broken leg.

Yup Kelly is out for 6-8 weeks. I really don't see that hurting the team and let's one if the younger guys get more ice time.

The ghost on Tyler Seguin will haunt the Bruins for years.

Islanders look like crap.....they are not playing anywhere near as well as last year. They come out almost every game and get outworked by the competition.

I am expecting Capuano to be fired soon....which may not be fair, but sometimes change is a good thing.

Can't believe how awful they've been offensively. They'd struggle to score if they were shooting at a soccer goal.

Bruins look like crap....sorry I couldn't resist. Same offensive woes again this year, although strangely our power play is suddenly top notch and now our even strength production is anemic, go figure. Bad news, have lost 8 straight to Avs at home, good news, Seidenberg is back.

B's finally win 2 in a row at home. They need to get it going if they want to make the playoffs. Hopefully they can make it 2 in a row against the leafs.

Bolts finally string a couple wins together and score a few goals the other nights against the Ducks. They have been playing better as of late, even with all of the injuries. Call ups are playing really well. They are still outside of the playoffs if the season ended today, but there are very positive signs for them. While they have gone from the highest scoring team in the league to currently being 21st in the league @ 2.41 goals for/game, the D and goal tending has been really good. Bolts are currently 2nd in the league in goals against @ 2.18. This bodes really well if the offense can start to put it together and open up a bit. Without Bishop and Vasilevsky, this team would be in a world of hurt right now. Some other stats on the upside is that the Bolts, while only 19th in the league in PP, they are 12th in PK. Another stat that shows that the goaltending and D is keeping them alive. I think the win against the Rangers the other night was huge. You could see the team really took away a lot from that game and how they won it. It was huge after a BS call with a minute and a half left to go in a tie game, to get a game winning shorty. These guys know they can score, they just have to start doing it.

Islanders are shopping Travis Hamonic.....this sucks moose ba**s!!!! He has turned into a solid D-man - great in the defensive zone, physical, stands up for his teammates - he moves the puck well enough.

He has asked to be traded close to his home/family in Winnipeg.

You can bet your life savings the Isles with be getting the short end of this deal.

I cannot fault the guy as it sounds like a personal matter - possibly health issues with his folks.

Islanders are shopping Travis Hamonic.....this sucks moose ba**s!!!! He has turned into a solid D-man - great in the defensive zone, physical, stands up for his teammates - he moves the puck well enough.

He has asked to be traded close to his home/family in Winnipeg.

You can bet your life savings the Isles with be getting the short end of this deal.

I cannot fault the guy as it sounds like a personal matter - possibly health issues with his folks.

Yeah the Travis Hamonic thing is really weird. Unless the trade is to the Jets (hometown is 1 hour drive from Winnipeg), what help is being traded. I would argue that it is probably easier to take a plane from LGA/JFK to anywhere in North America than to fly from somewhere else. I do believe that he has some family issue, but I am not sure that being traded helps that, unless it is to the Jets like I said. This is almost a case where he should take the rest of the season off and sort it out. Supposedly he likes everything about the Islanders, and he is still playing hard, so I really believe it is a family thing, but the Islanders aren't giving him away for nothing. Just a weird situation.

Yeah the Travis Hamonic thing is really weird. Unless the trade is to the Jets (hometown is 1 hour drive from Winnipeg), what help is being traded. I would argue that it is probably easier to take a plane from LGA/JFK to anywhere in North America than to fly from somewhere else. I do believe that he has some family issue, but I am not sure that being traded helps that, unless it is to the Jets like I said. This is almost a case where he should take the rest of the season off and sort it out. Supposedly he likes everything about the Islanders, and he is still playing hard, so I really believe it is a family thing, but the Islanders aren't giving him away for nothing. Just a weird situation.
It sucks. They made some great moves to draft him (not typical for the Isles!).

Can't fault the guy as it is a family issue - they need to accommodate so other players in the league see evidence that they care about their players, but surely the Islanders are going to land up getting the short end of any deal.

Bruins 7-1-2 in the last ten with a west coast trip and a win in Montreal, creeping up the standings.

A big part of this run has been the defense, particularly Rask returning to form. Hell, he even beat Montreal, who are starting to look mortal with Carey Price out. The top two lines have jelled nicely, with Connolly playing decent with Marchant/Bergie, and Beleskey complimenting Krejci/Ericksson. I think they need to reel in Chara's minutes, he's had some major mistakes in our end the last couple games.

Bolts finally string a couple wins together and score a few goals the other nights against the Ducks. They have been playing better as of late, even with all of the injuries. Call ups are playing really well. They are still outside of the playoffs if the season ended today, but there are very positive signs for them. While they have gone from the highest scoring team in the league to currently being 21st in the league @ 2.41 goals for/game, the D and goal tending has been really good. Bolts are currently 2nd in the league in goals against @ 2.18. This bodes really well if the offense can start to put it together and open up a bit. Without Bishop and Vasilevsky, this team would be in a world of hurt right now. Some other stats on the upside is that the Bolts, while only 19th in the league in PP, they are 12th in PK. Another stat that shows that the goaltending and D is keeping them alive. I think the win against the Rangers the other night was huge. You could see the team really took away a lot from that game and how they won it. It was huge after a BS call with a minute and a half left to go in a tie game, to get a game winning shorty. These guys know they can score, they just have to start doing it.
Alum99, it's been a crazy year, injury wise for the Bolts and you're right, things could be a lot worse considering your offensive injuries. I haven't followed the Stamkos situation closely, I know his production is down, what's going on with his contract? What's the word on the street?

A big part of this run has been the defense, particularly Rask returning to form. Hell, he even beat Montreal, who are starting to look mortal with Carey Price out. The top two lines have jelled nicely, with Connolly playing decent with Marchant/Bergie, and Beleskey complimenting Krejci/Ericksson. I think they need to reel in Chara's minutes, he's had some major mistakes in our end the last couple games.

First, Rask played 70 games last year and started playing every game this year, I don't know if he had a nagging injury, but Gustavsson has already started 9 games, where as the backup started only 15 regular season games last year. Rask getting rest is huge!

Chara is past his prime and they need to cut his minutes down, big time, and possibly sit him on the 2nd of back to backs.

The defense is thin, and the Bruins adding a top 4 defenseman is a must, for the playoffs. A lot of people cringed at the Lucic trade, but he would be invisible for 8, 9, 10 game stretches, and the return on him has been decent with the #13 pick in 2015, D Colin Miller and G Martin Jones. Jones ended up going to San Jose for a 2016 #1, which could be a top 10 pick at this point. Back to Miller, who I watched here in Manchester for the better part of two seasons, so he instantly becomes a favorite of mine.... Anyway, he has played some pretty decent hockey and has a future here in Boston.

Marchand has been playing great and the team has adopted, finally, to the style of play and they are only 5 points behind the Habs with two games in hand, and that is after the Bruins getting smoked their first three games and Montreal winning their first 9 games, 11 out of the first 13 and being 13-2-1 in their first 26.

Ericksson is in a contract year and playing well. Krejci is also playing well, and Bergeron is his typical self up top.

What a 180 degree turn around! I do cringe at Tyler Seguin who is lighting it up again in Dallas, and Taylor Hall, of whom the Spokes almost traded for around draft time.

Alum99, it's been a crazy year, injury wise for the Bolts and you're right, things could be a lot worse considering your offensive injuries. I haven't followed the Stamkos situation closely, I know his production is down, what's going on with his contract? What's the word on the street?

The Bolts are having a crazy year. We are basically playing with about half of the Syracuse Crunch roster at this point. With Palat, Johnson, Paquette, and Drouin all being on IR, we have call-ups who are taking their spots. The good news is the call-ups have been producing. Angelidis had a goal last night on his first night of call-up this time around (he has been up before). The great news about the injuries (knock on wood), is that the D has been pretty healthy. That and goaltending is also the best side of the Bolts right now . Fortunately these guys are playing lights out or we would be in the cellar. Ben Bishop is 2nd in the league in GA @ 2.00, only .04 behind Holtby. But when you compare the same 2 guys in the win column, Hotlby leads the league with 21 and Bishop only 14. That shows what kind of goal support he is getting. The Bolts as a team have done a complete turnaround of last year stats. We are T-3 with a 2.29 GA/G, yet 20th in GF/G with 2.50.

As far as Stamkos goes, I have nothing for you. His production has dropped the last 10 games or so, but last night he pots two, of course they were a PPG and an empty netter. I think the lack of consistent line mates does not help that situation. I will say though that he has been mostly out with Kucherov lately and he has been hot, so Stamkos' stats have been suffering. As far as the signing saga goes, I honestly have nothing. Both sides have kept this pretty tight lipped. Really the only thing that may be inside info was leaked by Phil Esposito last week on radio saying that the Bolts were preparing their final offer to Stamkos. Was this true? Was this what he heard? I don't know. There is also so much BS from the media too. It is very close to all the national signing BS in college. There was a report out that Stamkos' parents just bought a house in Tampa. Not true. Although even if it was I don't know how that would be an indicator as I think every person over 60 from Ontario lives in the Tampa area during the winter!!! There are stories from both sides that are BS and the real reason is I think that both Stamkos' team and the Bolts/Yzerman have done a great job of keeping this silent. I am still hoping a deal gets done, but the longer it goes on, the less I think he will be back. I also think the longer it goes on, the more it will affect the team too. They may say this isn't affecting them, but how can your franchise player/captain's contract being up in the air, not affect he team? My personal opinion is we really need to sign a core of (3) players in the next year or so for this team. We need to sign Stamkos, Kucherov, and Hedman. I really like Tyler Johnson, I think he had a phenomenal year last year, but I don't think he is as crucial of a piece as everybody was talking at the end of the year. As he showed in the Finals and so far this year, I think he is a guy who may have to play hurt much of the time. He is quite simply smaller than everybody else, and he does not seem to have that trait Marty used to have for keeping from getting hit. Tyler gets hit, and if he continues to get hit, he is going to get hurt. I like the guy, but I would not let his future contract hinder us from signing Stamkos.

Wow, Bolts get everyone but Palat, that were injured, back and come out and play two straight games of uninspired hockey. Yes, we are only 6 points out of first in our division, but this time comes out against 2 teams who are playing absolutely terrible hockey as of late and make them look like superstars. The Rangers last night absolutely owned the Bolts. Bolts were so sloppy and lazy with the puck it was so easy for the Rangers to simply take the puck from them and move up ice. Even as bad as they played they still had a chance with about 3 1/2 minutes left. this team better figure out what the hell is going on and get on it.

We haven't chimed in a while and a lot has gone on. Florida kitties go on a huge run, Montreal on a huge slide, Washington out of this world. Some great stuff going on right now in hockey. The team that has surprised me the most has been the Blackhawks. I think the number is 7 guys that are not there from last year's team and they just pick up where they left off and keep winning. Even the Bolts are starting to come around. They played what was probably the best game I have seen from them all year the other night against Colorado. Watching that game looked like the team from last year instead of the middling team that has been throughout the first half of the year. I really like the line of Stamkos, Palat, and Namestnikov. Putting Palat with Stammer finally gives him a guy with some talent to compliment him.

We haven't chimed in a while and a lot has gone on. Florida kitties go on a huge run, Montreal on a huge slide, Washington out of this world. Some great stuff going on right now in hockey. The team that has surprised me the most has been the Blackhawks. I think the number is 7 guys that are not there from last year's team and they just pick up where they left off and keep winning. Even the Bolts are starting to come around. They played what was probably the best game I have seen from them all year the other night against Colorado. Watching that game looked like the team from last year instead of the middling team that has been throughout the first half of the year. I really like the line of Stamkos, Palat, and Namestnikov. Putting Palat with Stammer finally gives him a guy with some talent to compliment him.

When Palat is on then the whole team plays well. They will come on now and won't be stopped

Big win for the Bolts against Florida, they're really getting some mo. Blackhawks are on top of their game now, Habs continue to slide, but they play us tonight so they'll likely have a reprieve, lol. Speaking of the Bruins, I can't believe we're third in the league in goals scored and still first in pp. Marchand, McQuaid and Krejci being sidelined threw us out of kilter a bit, we've been middling around. I linked the story about John Scott being voted into the All Star game, social media run amuck! lol
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...cipate-all-star-game-trade-montreal-canadiens

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT