ADVERTISEMENT

Hazard Lights in the rain........Do you????

jim65

All-ACC
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2002
I think this has been approached before, but there was a heck of a thunderstorm around here last night, high winds, tons of lightning, but I was more concerned with the buffoons driving 15mph with their hazard lights on than I was the weather.

I have lived and driven in Florida rain, to NC ice, to MI snow, but folks around here, let it sprinkle a little rain and the hazards are on!

Reactions: plethera1
No I don't and I think in FL it is illegal. Hazard lights are for stopped vehicles only. If conditions are bad enough for you to turn hazards on you need to pull of the road.

Reactions: Lemon Thrower
I have before in the past.

Was traveling home from Atlanta on i85 and a massive storm came in. Was hard to see to far ahead of you. Other cars had theirs on which allowed for me to not only see them more clearly, but also gave a lot more clarity on the road etc. It seemed to serve a good purpose in those conditions while on the interstate. Of course we were traveling slow as well...maybe 45ish.

This was before we had ways to see weather on our phone.

I can't say I've ever turned them on while in the city and close to home though. I know the roads well, visibility is better,and traffic slows down a great deal more than it does on the interstate.

But yeah, the hazard lights can serve a good purpose in the rain when needed IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReliableOstrich
(7) Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except:
(a) As a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway;
(b) When a motorist intermittently flashes his or her vehicle’s headlamps at an oncoming vehicle notwithstanding the motorist’s intent for doing so; and
(c) For the lamps authorized under subsections (1), (2), (3), (4), and (9), s. 316.2065, or s.316.235(5) which may flash.

I used to because I simply assumed it was what you were supposed to do since so many people do, however it is dangerous and illegal so it is not something I do any longer.

Was traveling home from Atlanta on i85 and a massive storm came in. Was hard to see to far ahead of you. Other cars had theirs on which allowed for me to not only see them more clearly, but also gave a lot more clarity on the road etc. It seemed to serve a good purpose in those conditions while on the interstate. Of course we were traveling slow as well...maybe 45ish.

This was before we had ways to see weather on our phone.

I can't say I've ever turned them on while in the city and close to home though. I know the roads well, visa ill is better,and traffic slows down a great deal slower than the interstate. Much less splash and spray from back tires in the ruts of the interstate.

But yeah, the hazard lights can serve a good purpose in the rain when needed IMO.

As opposed to looking through the windshield?

Reactions: Wendy79
(7) Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except:
(a) As a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway;
(b) When a motorist intermittently flashes his or her vehicle’s headlamps at an oncoming vehicle notwithstanding the motorist’s intent for doing so; and
(c) For the lamps authorized under subsections (1), (2), (3), (4), and (9), s. 316.2065, or s.316.235(5) which may flash.
I like (b)...cite that one if a cop ever gives you grief for warning oncoming drivers of the speed trap you just passed.

As opposed to looking through the windshield?

yes....as opposed to looking through windshield.

With a radar you can see where it's coming from, how intense it will be and for how long. With this information you can decided if pulling over and eating a bite is the best idea because it's going to be awhile, of if it's only going to be 10 or 15 minutes and then you'll be through it. You can't get that perspective from simply looking at your windshield.

Embrace the technology!

Does it bother any of you when someone has theirs on during an intense storm when visibility is poor?

yes....as opposed to looking through windshield. With a radar you can see where it's coming from, how intense it will be and for how long. With this information you can decided if pulling over and eating a bite is the best idea because it's going to be awhile, of if it's only going to be 10 or 15 minutes and then you'll be through it. You can't get that perspective from simply looking at your windshield.

Embrace the technology!

This helps pre-plan the hazard light decision-making?

I can't say I've ever turned them on while in the city and close to home though. I know the roads well, visa ill is better,and traffic slows down a great deal slower than the interstate. Much less splash and spray from back tires in the ruts of the interstate.

I've gotten stuck in blinding storms on I-75 in central florida and noticed the same phenomenon: Traffic slows down to 45 or so yet the cars in front can be very hard to see. But if they have their hazards on it's SO much easier to gauge. If I have to choose one or the other, I'll stay behind a car with hazards on b/c I can maintain a safe distance at all times with no difficulties.

The visibility gets so bad that I don't want to be stopped on the roadside and risk somebody plowing into the back of me with speed. I did here that it was illegal, but on the interstate at least that's a very unhelpful statute.

Not to hijack, but I can't stand people that don't use their headlights when it's raining. Especially if your car tends to blend into the rain and color of the road. Turn your damn lights on so the people in front of you and behind you at least know you're there.

Reactions: Wendy79 and gwgwi
This helps pre-plan the hazard light decision-making?

Not at all. But it visibility is super poor and roads are dangerous, and will be dangerous for a long period of time, it helps me make an more educated decision on whether to pull over or not.

The same way you may look at the weather the day before you plan a trip to the beach. It gives you an idea on if it's a good idea or not.

The hazard light thing is just something that seemed to help with visibility of other cars while in the monsoon. It was very short period of time they were on....maybe 5 or 10 minutes, some thing like that. Again, this was long time ago.

This really hazard thing really annoys you guys doesn't it??? Kind of funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
I don't get it...why would you follow them into a ditch? Do the lights hypnotize you or something (kind of being sarcastic, but not really?)

First, it's just distracting.
Second, if visibility is really poor you typically follow the driver in front of you.
Drivers that use their hazards while moving tend to be the worst and least-confident drivers on the road.
Therefore, these are the drivers most likely to lead you into a ditch.
(I'm thinking more about snow than rain, but the principle is the same).

If visibility is poor you typically follow the driver in front of you.
Drivers that use their hazards while moving tend to be the worst and least-confident drivers on the road

lol....and why is that??

I can't believe I'm taking the bait on this, but it's too funny. Maybe you can convenience me that I'm wrong.

Just curious, do you have data that says this, or is this based on your subjective reasoning?

Second, if visibility is really poor you typically follow the driver in front of you.
Drivers that use their hazards while moving tend to be the worst and least-confident drivers on the road.

Your thinking snow, gotcha. ....where do you live? Have you ever lived a substantial amount of time in Florida where you are consistently driving on the interstates?

lol....and why is that??

I can't believe I'm taking the bait on this, but it's too funny. Maybe you can convenience me that I'm wrong.

Just curious, do you have data that says this, or is this based on your subjective reasoning?

It's a fact.
;)

Reactions: DanC78
Your thinking snow, gotcha. ....where do you live? Have you ever lived a substantial amount of time in Florida where you are consistently driving on the interstates?
Lived in FL for 25 years, and yes have driven all over the state.
And there are storms outside of Florida, believe it or not.

Yup, it's a sign of weakness.

Does it bother any of you when someone has theirs on during an intense storm when visibility is poor?
Absolutely, which is why I posed the question. If the weather is bad enough for you as the vehicle's operator to think that you need hazard lights on, please just pull off the road so that those of us that want to drive can do so safely.

Lived in FL for 25 years, and yes have driven all over the state.
And there are storms outside of Florida, believe it or not.

okay.

Has there ever been an incident that you or someone you know had where they followed a person with their hazard lights on and ended up in a ditch, or wrecked there car in general?

Absolutely, which is why I posed the question. If the weather is bad enough for you as the vehicle's operator to think that you need hazard lights on, please just pull off the road so that those of us that want to drive can do so safely.

I would love to go toe to toe with you on this, but I have enough battles going on right now.

I hear you though

I just saw an article on this that had the following info:

"It has been a big discussion on social media: motorists who use their hazard lights while driving in the rain.

In Florida, it is illegal to drive with your hazard lights. Hazards lights are for stopped vehicles only, officials say.

The one situation where Florida drivers are allowed to use their hazards when in motion is when the vehicle is being used in a funeral procession .

A Florida Highway Patrol spokesperson told NewsChannel 5 that flashers are for emergency situations.

"First responders look for flashers to see if someone needs help," said an FHP spokesperson.

Law enforcement officials say hazard lights can actually reduce visibility making other drivers think you are stopped or stalled.

Other drivers writing on social media say flashers make it difficult to see when a motorist is tapping the brakes or using a turn signal.

The FHP spokesperson says if visibility is so bad that you cannot see, pull over in a parking lot, plaza or somewhere safe until conditions improve."

I only put my hazard lights on when i want to create a hazard and surprise people as to whether i plan to turn right or left.

It's a snowbird thing.

I don't like it because it confuses the issue of whether they are off the road or not. I picture a poor old guy who has properly pulled off the road with his hazards on getting rammed by a semi because the semi driver assumed the old guy was among the legions of people staying on the highway with their hazards on.

Reactions: F4Gary
I rank hazard light drivers up there with left lane drivers. If you feel the conditions are so dangerous, get off the road. It is illegal to move a vehicle in Florida with hazards with the only exception being a funeral.

It's a snowbird thing.

I don't like it because it confuses the issue of whether they are off the road or not. I picture a poor old guy who has properly pulled off the road with his hazards on getting rammed by a semi because the semi driver assumed the old guy was among the legions of people staying on the highway with their hazards on.

I used to think this, but saw plenty of Florida drivers doing it on 75 last night.

It's a snowbird thing.

This.

I've driven in intense rainstorms on I-10 where the cars in front of me had their hazards on, it 100% helped me see them better. A steady red taillight simply doesn't do a great job of showing up through heavy rain.

Realizing that it helped me see (and thereby not ram into) the car in front of me, I decided I'd similarly like to be seen, and not rammed into, so I turned on my hazards. Perhaps it was against the law, but perhaps that's a stupid law.

This is a very interesting and helpful thread for me. It doesn't rain in CO like it does In FL. Admittedly while in FL I have driven slow with hazards on as it seemed like the norm. There were times that I was uncomfortable and wanted to pull off but I felt even more uncomfortable sitting on the side of the road awaiting the rear ending (not the good kind). I suppose once I live in FL I will get used to driving in these storms and piss less people off.

I just posted this:

I bet the people who use flashers in the rain own cats and prefer seedless watermelons while watching MSNBC. I appreciate you letting me know visually that I don't need to know you. It saves time.

Reactions: goldmom
I've gotten stuck in blinding storms on I-75 in central florida and noticed the same phenomenon: Traffic slows down to 45 or so yet the cars in front can be very hard to see. But if they have their hazards on it's SO much easier to gauge. If I have to choose one or the other, I'll stay behind a car with hazards on b/c I can maintain a safe distance at all times with no difficulties.

The visibility gets so bad that I don't want to be stopped on the roadside and risk somebody plowing into the back of me with speed. I did here that it was illegal, but on the interstate at least that's a very unhelpful statute.

I find this to be the case. I do a lot of driving and when I get in a bad downpour on an interstate , I got to admit, the noobs with the hazards on are much more easier to see and follow behind. I may or may not do the same....

Law enforcement officials say hazard lights can actually reduce visibility making other drivers think you are stopped or stalled.
I can go along with a lot of what they said, but here they are just grasping. It's just not true when a really intense cell blows across the interstate. Hazards 100% help you see the cars ahead, and you know exactly what they are doing. No way are you confused into thinking a car 30 feet ahead of you going your same speed is "stopped or stalled". You know exactly what he's doing and why. And if somebody speeds up to you from behind foolishly barreling along at 80 mph, that guy does need a hazard warning due to the huge difference in speed. If you try to pull over when the visbility has precipitously dropped like that, you have 2 risks: A car already over there that failed to put on his lights and you hit him; a car ramming into you from behind b/c he accidentally veers too far off the road, or just somebody elderly who decides to get off but can't even see well enough to see hazards.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT