ADVERTISEMENT

Hazard Lights in the rain........Do you????

I can go along with a lot of what they said, but here they are just grasping. It's just not true when a really intense cell blows across the interstate. Hazards 100% help you see the cars ahead, and you know exactly what they are doing. No way are you confused into thinking a car 30 feet ahead of you going your same speed is "stopped or stalled". You know exactly what he's doing and why. And if somebody speeds up to you from behind foolishly barreling along at 80 mph, that guy does need a hazard warning due to the huge difference in speed. If you try to pull over when the visbility has precipitously dropped like that, you have 2 risks: A car already over there that failed to put on his lights and you hit him; a car ramming into you from behind b/c he accidentally veers too far off the road, or just somebody elderly who decides to get off but can't even see well eniugh to see hazards.

Perhaps car manufacturers should put a function within hazards for rain versus emergency and simply vary the cadence of the flashers, so there becomes a universal sign for driving in low visibility versus having them on when stalled and in an emergency. Then also override the hazard when someone is using the blinker so you can tell a lane change when the hazards are on.

so if hazards help with visibility, do those of you who recommend highly using them in rain....do you also use them when there is thick fog?

Most cars in Europe have a rear fog light. It is a steady red light separate from the brake lights but of similar brightness.

iu

so if hazards help with visibility, do those of you who recommend highly using them in rain....do you also use them when there is thick fog?

I don't notice that as much in fog but when there is a severe storm which a certain percentage of the drivers pull off the road to wait it out, I do see the majority of people up here put on their hazard lights. It is so common I never thought about it until reading this thread to check to see if there are laws against this practice.

Most cars in Europe have a rear fog light. It is a steady red light separate from the brake lights but of similar brightness.

iu

We were going to get these rear fogs in the US a few years back. They made the preliminary list of coming soon items and some cars were built with them (Olds Aurora comes to mind). Then they fell off the list.

Part of the problem with the flashers is the law is not consistent in all 50 States. The Federal law is not consistent with the States and FL is not consistent either. In one spot (posted above) it clearly states it is illegal. In the truck/semi section it says to refer to the Federal law which tells Truckers to use flashers in low vis conditions.

Personally, I never use them in the rain because of the clear law posted above. If you have them on then other drivers should not be following but rather avoiding you.

I HAVE used them temporarily (illegal or not) to warn the cars behind me of having to stop. On the highway if I see a big backup and the flow is going from 75+ MPH to zero I will turn them on to get the people behind me to prepare. I just started this recently and I find that it works wonders in keeping the car behind me off my butt and spreading out the cars to help ward off a huge pileup. Once the cars behind me are warned I turn them off so we are only talking a few seconds, 30 seconds max.

If it improves visibility, I'd think such things would be more standard, such as daylight running lamps.

It is probably worth pointing out for those throwing up the "it is illegal" trump card that Florida is one of only 12 states that have declared this a violation and that in 38 (76%) of the US states say you can put your hazards on in the rain/snow/fog or for other reasons while driving. One of those 12 also permits it if you are having to drive under 25 mph. Also, driving 1 mph over the speed limit is a similar violation.

It is probably worth pointing out for those throwing up the "it is illegal" trump card that Florida is one of only 12 states that have declared this a violation and that in 38 (76%) of the US states say you can put your hazards on in the rain/snow/fog or for other reasons while driving. One of those 12 also permits it if you are having to drive under 25 mph. Also, driving 1 mph over the speed limit is a similar violation.
Does that make it any less illegal in Florida?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I've driven in intense rainstorms on I-10 where the cars in front of me had their hazards on, it 100% helped me see them better. A steady red taillight simply doesn't do a great job of showing up through heavy rain.

Realizing that it helped me see (and thereby not ram into) the car in front of me, I decided I'd similarly like to be seen, and not rammed into, so I turned on my hazards. Perhaps it was against the law, but perhaps that's a stupid law.

I agree with this guy start to finish...

Reactions: angusnole
I keep a spot light in my truck for when it rains. I just turn it on and shine it at the drivers behind me so that can see where I'm at. Sure its illegal and I could probably just turn my headlights on, but its just not enough. I'm saving lives. These people need to see if they wont just pull over to the side of the road.

I HAVE used them temporarily (illegal or not) to warn the cars behind me of having to stop. On the highway if I see a big backup and the flow is going from 75+ MPH to zero I will turn them on to get the people behind me to prepare. I just started this recently and I find that it works wonders in keeping the car behind me off my butt and spreading out the cars to help ward off a huge pileup. Once the cars behind me are warned I turn them off so we are only talking a few seconds, 30 seconds max.

I do this too. I think it's a smart move.

I don't drive with my hazards on, though. And 90% of the people I see doing that in Iowa have Florida license plates.

Does that make it any less illegal in Florida?
I would prefer maybe the term violation perhaps, since illegal insinuates a crime. Do you believe all Floridians follow all other driving rules by the book? Perhaps you can start a thread "Going over the speed limit....do you?????" Actually, that would be a good topic since it is the number one cause of wrecks. And a violation in 50 states.

Not to hijack, but I can't stand people that don't use their headlights when it's raining. Especially if your car tends to blend into the rain and color of the road. Turn your damn lights on so the people in front of you and behind you at least know you're there.
AGREE 1000% not only in the rain, but in fog low beams please), or very close
to sunrise or sunset. Lights have TWO purposes: Help the driver see, make the car easier to be seen.
If I'm a two lane road, I drive with my lights on, even during the day.

No never. And I hate it when people put them on and stay in the left lane. Pull over if you don't like the weather!

Yes, it is illegal to use your flashers while driving, but everyone knows that no cop will write you a ticket in a driving rainstorm.

I only put my hazard lights on when i want to create a hazard and surprise people as to whether i plan to turn right or left.

This.

Assuming hazards are the same color as brake lights, you can't tell when someone is changing lanes (which is really dangerous if it is crowded) and if someone hits their brakes suddenly, it will take you an extra second or so to register that.

Maybe someone should lobby for some form of rain light that is really intense, and doesn't mess with my ability to see when you're stopped, turning, or braking inmediately.

Sometimes I will turn the left blinker on for a while, then the right, then the hazards, just to keep the people around me guessing. Usually only when I'm doing my duty as a good citizen and enforcing the speed limit in the left lane.

Does it bother any of you when someone has theirs on during an intense storm when visibility is poor?
Absolutely it does. Flashing lights indicate something other than a regular vehicle driving. If you feel the need to turn on your hazards then you need to get your car off of the road, because that's exactly what you are indicating to others that you are doing.

I don't do it, but don't have a problem with those that do. The problem I have is with people who drive too fast during dangerous conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT