ADVERTISEMENT

How much do you use LinkedIn?

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
I created a profile and check it periodically but for the life of me I can't really figure out how it is useful. I get a number of inquiries from sales people and loose professional contacts. Really adds no value for me, but I acknowledge I don't put the time in to get maximum value.

How about you? Is it a valuable tool for career/professional development or simply Facebook for Business?

I used to work for a headhunting firm where LinkedIn was used a lot. It is very useful when you're looking for a new job or if you freelance and need to network constantly in order to find new projects.

If you have a regular office job and you are not looking for a new job, the only benefit of using LinkedIn is to passively maintain certain relationships in case you find yourself looking for a new job in the future.

i have had headhunters find me with it.

also had the moderator of the warchant technical board stalk me with it. i know, because you can see who views your profile. creepy.

I used to work for a headhunting firm where LinkedIn was used a lot. It is very useful when you're looking for a new job or if you freelance and need to network constantly in order to find new projects.

If you have a regular office job and you are not looking for a new job, the only benefit of using LinkedIn is to passively maintain certain relationships in case you find yourself looking for a new job in the future.

So, if you have a job currently, want to look for a new job, but don't want your current employer to know you are looking, how does LinkedIn help you? I would imagine most people are connected to various people they work with, so if you post things to LinkedIn regarding a job search, your current employer will find out.

So, if you have a job currently, want to look for a new job, but don't want your current employer to know you are looking, how does LinkedIn help you? I would imagine most people are connected to various people they work with, so if you post things to LinkedIn regarding a job search, your current employer will find out.
You can send your contacts direct messages if/when you want to reach out to them. Direct messages won't end up on your news-feed. Also, recruiters usually pay extra for the ability to send direct messages to people that they are not contacts with, that way nobody in your network has to see that you are adding new contacts that are recruiters. Beyond that, you just have to be discreet regarding what your contacts can and cannot see on your news-feed.

I think it's a great tool even if you are not looking for work. I look at as a professional networking site that can be very much in the open since most of my managers have a page too.
You can manage your page differently depending if you are actively looking or are content. If you are looking, try to continuously update your page. Think of it as a living document. Everytime you update it, alerts go to those (HR and hiring managers) in your network so you can be in the front of their minds if something were to come up. Think of it as keeping your resume on the top of the pile on their desks.
If you are not looking, it's a great way to keep up with those in your network. You never know a change happens that could create an opportunity for you. Plus it's a more professional way of networking vs. FB.

I use it once a day at least. To get the most out of it you need to have some sort of a paid membership.

I use it for finding out decision makers for companies and to learn more about a person before I jump on a call with them.

Another great way to utilize is to join groups of like minded people and then post a blog once a week or so promoting your services. For an example, you could join the FSU Alumni group. Once joined everyone from that group can see your post in their news feed. From there you would want to drop a post/blog explaining what you do, or some sort of industry insight, a free did you know type of thing. After time people will start recognizing you as the go to person for whatever it is you do. Once those who can see your blogs are in the market to purchase whatever it is you do, you should have a leg up on the business. Hopefully they will send you a message saying, "I see your post talking about commercial real estate and things you may need to know before making a decision. I'm now in the market and looking for a place to relocate my office too, I need more space and need something closer to the airport.....can you help?"

It actually works, but it does take a little time each week to do, but not much. If you're serious about what you do, then this is something you should be doing. (do as I say, not as I do.)

Got pursued by a recruiter pretty hard last year, which lead to a couple of phone calls with another firm. I was not looking for a job, just happened that my resume and job experienced matched what they were looking for. Got as far as a 2nd call before I told my current boss about the inquiring, since they wanted to fly me to Texas to interview me.

Ultimately, my current employer ponied up to give me the salary I wanted to keep me happy where I was. I still kept that other firm as a contact for future reference, should things here ever change.

That was all through just keeping my Linked In profile current and presentable. Don't have to be looking for career opportunities to come up.

Last edited:
I wish I could figure out how to get OUT of LinkedIn. Nothing I do will get them to stop with the constant emails. I'm retired, no longer need it, but they won't go away.

I wish I could figure out how to get OUT of LinkedIn. Nothing I do will get them to stop with the constant emails. I'm retired, no longer need it, but they won't go away.

Log into LinkedIn then at the top right click on your photo. Then click on COMMUNICATIONS on the lower left and then change your email settings. Turn everything off, and you're done.

2vbu7p3.png

More info here: https://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/67/

Yea its for keeping up with contacts and for recruiters to find you. I get contacted by a recruiter atleast once a month. Usually I just refer them on to some of my friends in the business. I also get contacted to speak at events from it.

Never really found it that useful. Never go on unless someone sends me an invite.

It's good if you start a business or if you are looking for other jobs.

I'm not really looking for a new job, but I get lots of recruiters contacting me. So it is useful if you want to keep your options open.

you put up a profile.

recruiters do a search for folks with certain experience.

if there is a match, they send you an email. you can set up your account so they go to your home email obviously.

recruiters are really pretty lazy and if you are not on there its hard for them to find you. not being on linkedin is like having an unlisted phone number.

Got pursued by a recruiter pretty hard last week, which lead to a couple of phone calls with another firm. I was not looking for a job, just happened that my resume and job experienced matched what they were looking for. Got as far as a 2nd call before I told my current boss about the inquiring, since they wanted to fly me to Texas to interview me.

Ultimately, my current employer ponied up to give me the salary I wanted to keep me happy where I was. I still kept that other firm as a contact for future reference, should things here ever change.

That was all through just keeping my Linked In profile current and presentable. Don't have to be looking for career opportunities to come up.

Which might be sooner than later as your employer is now actively looking for your replacement.

Ive never been to the site ever yet I get invites from people I know that want to add me. How is that possible? Do I have a profile out there I don't know about? I don't get it.

Ive never been to the site ever yet I get invites from people I know that want to add me. How is that possible? Do I have a profile out there I don't know about? I don't get it.

There is an option to send an invite to everyone in your address book. That's likely where those request are coming from.

There is an option to send an invite to everyone in your address book. That's likely where those request are coming from.
I was looking at email contacts and accidentally did this......sent invites to everyone in my address book. The horror. Old Girlfriends. My 84 year old mother who actually sent up a profile...hahah.
Was interesting to see the people I hardly knew accept the invite. Never could figure whether accepting an invite was an endorsement or just widening the net of contacts.
I think the usefulness of LinkedIn depends on your field.

I use it every day. I'm in sales and I find it very useful to expand my network. If nothing else, you are able to research your prospects before meeting them. It's always nice to be able to discuss their college or past employers. In most cases I can always find a few ways to break the ice on a first meeting. I do have a premium membership as well though.

I'm on it every day. Not a week goes by that I don't get contacted by recruiters looking to fill roles at other companies.
Same here. I've been contacted by 10 recruiters in April reaching out to see if I have interest in various positions, networking, etc.

I was looking at email contacts and accidentally did this......sent invites to everyone in my address book. The horror. Old Girlfriends. My 84 year old mother who actually sent up a profile...hahah.

It's an automatic setting and very annoying. If I want to send someone an invite, I can do it myself.

I created a profile and check it periodically but for the life of me I can't really figure out how it is useful. I get a number of inquiries from sales people and loose professional contacts. Really adds no value for me, but I acknowledge I don't put the time in to get maximum value.

How about you? Is it a valuable tool for career/professional development or simply Facebook for Business?

I do not find it to be of any use at all. Some seem to. Apparently I just don't understand how it can be.

I'm not looking for a job so I dont get any benefit from it. I just have one because it seems like you are supposed to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT