ADVERTISEMENT

How will covid effect this season

dww07

Veteran Seminole Insider
Dec 2, 2005
Unless thing change, it may very well be like last year. Canceled/postponed games etc.
This stupid virus wont go away.

Very frustrating we can't put this thing away. Sounds like our 3rd down defense. Between vaccinations lagging and the delta variant surging, it sounds like it could be another repeat of last year. My unvaccinated neighbor (age 55) is now in ICU at UAB with the ECMO machine for the past several days. Its a surgical procedure that bypasses both the heart and lungs while oxygenating the blood. Two staff members are with her at all times. Absolutely no change..... She had had covid and thought her antibodies were enough. Both her and her husband were hospitalized at the same time. He got better and now she's fighting for her life. UAB brought a plane with 8 staff members down here to get her. At best, a three to four month recovery. You can't imagine the outpouring of community support and prayer she has had. Stacy is a fighter! But more prayers are always welcomed!

Very frustrating we can't put this thing away. Sounds like our 3rd down defense. Between vaccinations lagging and the delta variant surging, it sounds like it could be another repeat of last year. My unvaccinated neighbor (age 55) is now in ICU at UAB with the ECMO machine for the past several days. Its a surgical procedure that bypasses both the heart and lungs while oxygenating the blood. Two staff members are with her at all times. Absolutely no change..... She had had covid and thought her antibodies were enough. Both her and her husband were hospitalized at the same time. He got better and now she's fighting for her life. UAB brought a plane with 8 staff members down here to get her. At best, a three to four month recovery. You can't imagine the outpouring of community support and prayer she has had. Stacy is a fighter! But more prayers are always welcomed!
Way more to this thing than what were being told I'm afraid. Confusion is worse than fear. People hear one thing and see another. Things just don't add up for folks.

Even with Delta, they are not going to shut everything down again, especially with Desantis. Barring some overwhelming surge in cases and deaths with hospitals being swamped I highly doubt much if anything changes this season.

This thread was about how covid may effect out upcoming football season. That is why it was posted in the TC.

What concerns me is I am hearing of pockets of out breaks. Even vaccinated people are getting infected.

While it may not be as bad as last year, all it takes is one person on the team or staff and it may cause a canceled game. I read somewhere that the infected team would have to forfeit.

I really hope I am wrong.

Reactions: FSUDoles
Even with Delta, they are not going to shut everything down again, especially with Desantis. Barring some overwhelming surge in cases and deaths with hospitals being swamped I highly doubt much if anything changes this season.

I really believe you are correct, so I guess it’ll be someone’s duty to define “overwhelming”…I’m glad it’s not me.

All my best to your neighbor, this all sucks.

I really believe you are correct, so I guess it’ll be someone’s duty to define “overwhelming”…I’m glad it’s not me.
Who knows. I would assume people literally dying in their cars waiting to get a hospital bed.

Reactions: FSUDoles
Has the ACC made any statements similar to the SEC on COVID and rescheduling games? I’d hate to have to forfeit games this year. I note the SEC also claims at least 6 teams are at 80+% vaccinated.

Please do not turn this thread into a vaccination debate. It doesn’t really matter what we think anyway.

What about an outbreak among vaccinated players? I’m not debating or arguing but if the CDC is saying vaxxed folks may carry a high viral load and be transmitters.
What’s the logic of breaking it down like that?

Reactions: wwheisman
What about an outbreak among vaccinated players? I’m not debating or arguing but if the CDC is saying vaxxed folks may carry a high viral load and be transmitters.
What’s the logic of breaking it down like that?
My guess is the reasoning would be vaxxed people are having much reduced symptoms so they're not as concerned about them.

When they're all over each other in sports with no masks anyhow, the specific regulations don't really make much logical sense but from just a football being played perspective I hope we get to the "herd immunity" number so we can avoid testing and having a forfeit. What a disaster if the ND game were to get cancelled.

The key is that if you hit 85% vaccination rates, there is much less testing and contract tracing is limited. This allows teams to have a few positives but still play. Without that 85%, you are tested more frequently and players have to go into quarantine.

Reactions: PopsNole
My guess is the reasoning would be vaxxed people are having much reduced symptoms so they're not as concerned about them.

When they're all over each other in sports with no masks anyhow, the specific regulations don't really make much logical sense but from just a football being played perspective I hope we get to the "herd immunity" number so we can avoid testing and having a forfeit. What a disaster if the ND game were to get cancelled.
Yeah. But if it’s about who is sick, then just isolate the actually sick people. From day one the whole testing of healthy people was predicated on idea that there is a risk they have it ans spread it. If that’s true of both, then testing only unvaxxed people is pure theater.

I think the idea of testing anyone who’s healthy is absolutely ridiculous. But if it’s going to be done, it should make sense. This doesn’t.

Yeah. But if it’s about who is sick, then just isolate the actually sick people. From day one the whole testing of healthy people was predicated on idea that there is a risk they have it ans spread it. If that’s true of both, then testing only unvaxxed people is pure theater.

I think the idea of testing anyone who’s healthy is absolutely ridiculous. But if it’s going to be done, it should make sense. This doesn’t.
Nothing in the sports realm makes a lot of sense with Covid but isn't really relevant because the rules they came up with are the rules regardless of whether we agree or disagree. All FSU can do it hope to reach that magical number to lower the chances anyone has to miss a game.

Fair, I just wish they had rules that were consistent. I process things that I may disagree with but are consistent a lot better. None of this makes any sense.

probably going to lock the thread since this starts once a day but
the team is vaccinated
fans can fill the stadium

its over dude - relax - if someone gets covid he is the only one that misses nobody else

I have heard otherwise.
most of the team .. the only issue is if we lose one player for one game and it a big one parchment or mm or johnson or r scott at ot

but the game / season will not get cancelled

I think this wave starts to die down by the beginning of football season. Look at England. They went from 0-60 with delta and back to zero again.

Reactions: WxNoleMO
Well today Florida broke the cases record. I don’t think that’s a big deal, but it’s an easy to use stat to get things slowing down again.

probably going to lock the thread since this starts once a day but
the team is vaccinated
fans can fill the stadium

its over dude - relax - if someone gets covid he is the only one that misses nobody else
Don't be so sure, the latest studies indicate breakthrough infections in those vaccinated, albeit rare, are every bit as contagious when they do happen with this delta strain.

I think this wave starts to die down by the beginning of football season. Look at England. They went from 0-60 with delta and back to zero again.
From your lips to god’s ears

we’re getting crushed here in central Florida

Don't be so sure, the latest studies indicate breakthrough infections in those vaccinated, albeit rare, are every bit as contagious when they do happen with this delta strain.
They never said people couldn’t get infected if they were vaccinated. You just won’t get nearly as sick because your body has an immunity to fight it with. You can be exposed and be infected and may not even know it with the vaccine. That’s why people need to get their asses up and get the vaccine. Things would pretty much get back to normal if 80%+ of this country was vaccinated.

I am here in Tallahassee and my 7 year old son has COVID. Got it at summer camp last week. Luckily he’s doing fine. But the delta variant is alive and making its rounds in the 850.

Serous question - are there any reports on the impact of having already had the virus? Are people who naturally had it getting it again?

The UK is trending down, but they are not at zero. They had almost 30K cases yesterday.

UK
I think we’d take a plateau even at this point, wouldn’t we? Exponential growth in cases and hospitalizations Over the last 2-3 weeks. Ormc and advent here is central Florida are at capacity

Not back to zero but a significant decrease from the high point in mid july. The more important data they collected though is that the rate of death for delta was 0.1% of infected vs 1.9% for non-delta covid.

They never said people couldn’t get infected if they were vaccinated. You just won’t get nearly as sick because your body has an immunity to fight it with. You can be exposed and be infected and may not even know it with the vaccine. That’s why people need to get their asses up and get the vaccine. Things would pretty much get back to normal if 80%+ of this country was vaccinated.
Preaching to the choir on vaccination, I work in the medical field. 98%+ of our hospitalized Covid patients are unvaccinated. Everyone, myself included, however is surprised by the latest data however regarding viral loads of breakthrough infections.

Preaching to the choir on vaccination, I work in the medical field. 98%+ of our hospitalized Covid patients are unvaccinated. Everyone, myself included, however is surprised by the latest data however regarding viral loads of breakthrough infections.
Any idea when we may get a peak in this current surge?

Serous question - are there any reports on the impact of having already had the virus? Are people who naturally had it getting it again?
Yes, I aware of one family that had it, later on was given the Shot for it. They tested positive for it two weeks ago.
my Understanding is that all students must be vaccinated and show proof or apply for waiver for religion reason or medical reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT