ADVERTISEMENT

Hulu/YouTube/Sling TV

BriNole

Star Player
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Trying to decide between these three streaming services for my sports fix (mainly College football). I’m finally ready to cut the cord (I know, should have done a while ago). Anyhow, any advice/info/opinions is much appreciated from my warchant community!!! Gracias in advance!

I have hulu but we are thinking about switching to youtube tv. It's about the same price but looks like more channels and users per account for youtube along with unlimited cloud dvr storage

I had Hulu last year. was $40 and before the season was over had been hiked to $50/55. Crazy crap to have to pay $55/65 per month this year to see FSU football. :mad:

Reactions: Big Modem
Start with do they all have the ACC Network and go from there. I have YouTubeTV.

Reactions: rion1
Guys first to say that I’m not electronic savvy (laugh at me all you want my two teenagers do) but my question is that I don’t have a smart tv just 60 inch HD that I watch in our entrainment room. I have WiFi all through the house , so do I need to purchase a smart tv to switch from Comcast ( I know ) over to YouTube tv. If not is there something I can do to have both. So I don’t mess up my other tv’s in house. My wife is going to want to keep her tv the way it is as will my teenagers . Sorry for the long questions.

I have Hulu through a Roku and turned off live tv in March, I’ll switch it back on in September.

Not sure on ease of turning YouTube live tv on and off but that is best feature of Hululive in my opinion.

Guys first to say that I’m not electronic savvy (laugh at me all you want my two teenagers do) but my question is that I don’t have a smart tv just 60 inch HD that I watch in our entrainment room. I have WiFi all through the house , so do I need to purchase a smart tv to switch from Comcast ( I know ) over to YouTube tv. If not is there something I can do to have both. So I don’t mess up my other tv’s in house. My wife is going to want to keep her tv the way it is as will my teenagers . Sorry for the long questions.

Before I got my smart TV last year, I just ran my lap top to my TV with an HDMI cable. Had no problems streaming from laptop to TV.

YouTube TV is an app. I have a 65 inch Roku TV. It opens right up. Never had a problem. I can pause what I'm watching, rewind,record. I love it. I with is was 65 a month but I think it's worth it. Have it on all my TV's. My internet is through att and the box is 3 rooms away. Wifi works great.

I am not tech savvy either so if I am reading your question correctly, no you don’t need to but a smart tv. Just go buy a Roku or Firestick(you will connect the device to WiFi) etc etc. All your tv needs is an HDMI Port and you just plug your device in. When you want to watch Comcast watch it and when you want to watch your device you change your input on main remote to your device. Easy breezy.
I have YouTube tv and it’s great.

As others have mentioned, a smart tv is not necessary to use an app like YouTube TV. If you are set on using that, I’d highly recommend purchasing a chromecast extension, which plugs into the hdmi port(obviously need that). From there you can control the channel using your phone. In addition, if you want to have some additional convenience, you can purchase a google home device, which then will allow you to control the channel using your voice. These things work best with a smart tv setup, but are still usable without it. All the devices will need to be using the same network in order for this setup to work.

I notice Hulu has a no ad option and YouTube doesn’t. Is there commercials on YouTube and if so, is it a lot or not too much and can you fast forward thru them if pre-recorded?

I notice Hulu has a no ad option and YouTube doesn’t. Is there commercials on YouTube and if so, is it a lot or not too much and can you fast forward thru them if pre-recorded?

I’m pretty sure that only applies to streaming shows, not live content.

Reactions: NoleMan32
Trying to decide between these three streaming services for my sports fix (mainly College football). I’m finally ready to cut the cord (I know, should have done a while ago). Anyhow, any advice/info/opinions is much appreciated from my warchant community!!! Gracias in advance!
Look into FuboTV they do 4K as well

Yeah you have tons of on demand options and some of them won’t have commercials and some of them do. You can’t skip them if they do have the commercials

You Tube does have commercials, and yes, you can fast forward.

I am not tech savvy either so if I am reading your question correctly, no you don’t need to but a smart tv. Just go buy a Roku or Firestick(you will connect the device to WiFi) etc etc. All your tv needs is an HDMI Port and you just plug your device in. When you want to watch Comcast watch it and when you want to watch your device you change your input on main remote to your device. Easy breezy.
I have YouTube tv and it’s great.
Thank you!

I have mediacom as my cable/internet provider at 100mb/s and use their basic plus package for tv. I subscribe to netflix, hulu, disney+. I tried youtube.tv but found the user interface to be downright annoying. It does matter what type/how new your tv is vis a vis its ability to process data.

YouTube TV is an app. I have a 65 inch Roku TV. It opens right up. Never had a problem. I can pause what I'm watching, rewind,record. I love it. I with is was 65 a month but I think it's worth it. Have it on all my TV's. My internet is through att and the box is 3 rooms away. Wifi works great.

Do they charge per TV?

Hulu has the package deal with Disney+ and ESPN. So you can get all three for a discount. If you have kids it is great and the ACC network comes with HULU.

I tried a few others, but family really likes Disney+ and I have enjoyed having access to ESPN archive.

I have Sling TV. There is a Blue package & a Orange package. Each package cost $30. So I have both the orange & blue packages. Which is roughly $60 a month. Most of the Sports channels are on the Orange side. Local channels are Fox5 & NBC4 on the Blue side. FS1 & FS2 provides Big 12, there’s also NBC Sports Network (Blue Side). ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, SEC Network, SEC Network Plus, ACC Network, ACC Network Extra, LongHorn Network, Six Pac12 channels (All Orange Side). Some of the channels repeat on each package like (TNT, TBS, USA, Comedy Central, BET). Overall I like it, but I am missing CBS & ABC as local channels.

Man I can't quote all of these questions but I'll tell you this. Youtubetv has been a game changer in our house. And yes they have all ACC content, what little we've had. Cut my bill in half, get local chanels, love it. Other providers do the same but really happy with this route. I want to thank all the people on this board when the cord cutting was the topic, very enlightening. Go Noles!

I have YouTube TV and love it. I find the live view interface easy to use and not much different to use then the cable network interfaces except I don’t think you can create a favorites list.

Youtube TV is great and still worth $65. You can only watch on 3 devices at one time.

Brinole...you cant cut corners and ask for others opinion as what we like may be different then what you like.

You have to do your own research and find out what fits your needs the best. There is not one package that will provide you every channel like cable tv. Therefore, you will have to weigh the pros and cons per cost of each service.

I did my research for myself and my spouse and at the end of the day, Youtube TV offered the more ideal package for what we needed. I enjoy sports, she enjoys all the Bravo and Discovery ID or investigation shows.

However, this is NOT an endorsement to go with YTTV.

Do your homework and continue to ask questions here as people will provide you the info you need.

My wife was pessimestic at first and not sure she would be happy. Today, she is sooo excited that we switched because she doesnt even notice we switched as she gets everything she wanted.

Good luck in your search and enjoy saving a ton of money as we cut our cable bill from 130 down to what was 50, now its 65 bucks a month.

We have Hulu and like it. Get all the channels we need for sports all the espns acc network and big ten network (for my husband) and all the major networks plus all the other ones we watch including for our kids. Biggest upside is that it was half the cost of what we were paying for direct tv.

Reactions: yetinole1484
I’ve tried a few streaming services, and YouTubeTV on the Roku is the best setup I’ve had.

I got rid of Comcast and got YouTube TV in order to get the ACC network and I absolutely love it. Would never go back. Much less expensive and tons of perks. Takes a minute to turn on but worth the wait.

I agree on You Tube TV. I don't like the price hike to $65 but I don't plan to change. I have used Sling (4-5 years ago) and AT&T Now but like You Tube TV better. DVR is great, easy to use, I tape plenty of movies as well as sports and other stuff. It has all local network channels as well as most of the standard sports channels. Being able to rewind live TV is nice too. Use on 6 tvs and my computer. 3 streams at a time allowed. I use ROKU players on all and even the patio tv has built in Roku. No problems on any of the tvs. I also use the same subscription at our beach condo and could use on phone or computer when traveling.

I prefer yttv to Hulu for “live” programming (record almost everything I watch) but kept Hulu on demand because it has a ton of great shows. Fast forward through what I record on yttv and buy the commercial-free version of Hulu.

Reactions: yetinole1484
Keep political stuff off the boards.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT