ADVERTISEMENT

If the casket don't fit, you must....

Had to be one of the most bizarre episodes in the life of a sport icon...
not a rhetorical question, but how does someone not convicted for murder in a criminal case, but then gets convicted for "wrongful death" in a civil case?

Reactions: F4Gary and goldmom
not a rhetorical question, but how does someone not convicted for murder in a criminal case, but then gets convicted for "wrongful death" in a civil case?

Step one is to have a jury that isn’t looking for payback from Rodney King.

The jurors knew he did it but didn’t give a damn. This was a middle finger to the LAPD for the Rodney king trial.

Reactions: noletaire
Step one is to have a jury that isn’t looking for payback from Rodney King.

The jurors knew he did it but didn’t give a damn. This was a middle finger to the LAPD for the Rodney king trial.
Definitely a jury of his "peers".

Burden of proof.

Definitely a jury of his "peers".

I’m in my mid 30s. I was a youngin when all this was going down. But that 30 for 30 made in America was phenomenal.

Funny thing about a jury of his peers, OJ was more involved in “white america”than he ever was in “black America” — according to the documentary.

Reactions: F4Gary
Understood.... Wouldn't the burden of proof also be applicable in the criminal case?
the burden is much higher in the criminal case. Not sure if you’re getting at something else? Trust me, it’s a travesty he was acquitted in the criminal case. It’s hard to imagine a more open and shut case. Clearly the race card won out with a jury that I think was overwhelmingly black.

the burden is much higher in the criminal case. Not sure if you’re getting at something else? Trust me, it’s a travesty he was acquitted in the criminal case. It’s hard to imagine a more open and shut case. Clearly the race card won out with a jury that I think was overwhelmingly black.
I can't say I disagree... and I'm not getting at something else. I'm not a lawyer, just trying to understand from a legal basis, how one can win a criminal case and lose a civil case... I honestly don't know.

Criminal conviction the jury is asked to determine if the accused is guilty beyond a shadow of doubt.
A civil case requires the jury to make a determination based on a “preponderance “ of the evidence.
The bar is lower in a civil case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT