ADVERTISEMENT

If we could go back in time for one more drink....The Phyrst? Pink Flamingo? Doc's?

I was in Tally from 2001-2006 so here's my list:

1. Late Night Library - did an internship Spring 05 and when I came back to Tally in the summer it was GONE :(
2. AJ's for Flippin Tuesdays (perfect when you know the bartender you get 9 out of 10 right every time)
3. Yianni's for 80's Saturdays
4. Pub
5. Palace Saloon
6. Potbelly's & Painted Lady
7. Chubby's (after LNL closed down)

Reactions: Sight and Sound
The Tempo, my first beer in Tallahassee and later my first legal beer. Near Favers, long, long gone.
I worked at the Tempo for 3 years, 73-75. Jim Miller was a great guy. The men's room wall should've been preserved and placed in the Tallahassee History Museum. The Electric Eye on Wednesday nights, free beer for an hour and lighted dance floor.

Reactions: Backinday
I got there in '69 and not long after in 70 they lowered the drinking age from 21 to 18.
Pasqualli's Pizza was one of our hangouts for cheap pitchers of beer.
It's the Dollar General now I think.

Without question..........give me a Saturday night in 1977 at Fred's Back Door Lounge on West Tennessee Street, with Brenda the Bartender ruling the place. You needed $5.00 ( Four drinks @ 50 cents each and $1.00 for Brenda. ) And as much as a zoo as it was, nobody even had a fight, much less got hurt. A lot of fun at FSU.
Who was the other female bartender beside Brenda at Fred’s. I used to go there after waiting tables at killearn. Place was always a zoo......I’m surprised I’m still alive ( probably many of you feel the same way.....)

Kens was really the only place besides the Keg...the Electric Eye my senior year.
It was so strict with 21 drinking age, plus if you hung out there and got drunk you might end up at Standards Board of your sorority where a Committee of Hypocrites judged you. 🤬
The Electric Eye.... not that there is anything wrong with that.....
Did you often fancy the feel of being light in your loafers? :cool:

1975 per Wiki.
All I know it was 18 in the fall of '77. Journey and Van Halen came in the spring
of 1978 in Ruuuuuuuby Diamond Auditorium and the fix was in.
Steve Perry and David Lee Roth
Why do I remember David Lee shoving a legit thorny rose stem down his crotch....?
Is this the onset where I became somewhat or fully twisted? :cool: I was just a naiive impressionable purely innocent young lad taking a rare date to a massive brawl with the spraying of mace..... Let's just say that date ended with a misunderstanding.
The cold *****. I'm still working through it....

Kens was really the only place besides the Keg...the Electric Eye my senior year.
It was so strict with 21 drinking age, plus if you hung out there and got drunk you might end up at Standards Board of your sorority where a Committee of Hypocrites judged you. 🤬
And then there's the Anchor out front. I often wonder if anybody had the stones to get after it late night on the Anchor..... Now, that would be a memory! Sounds very hot and risky. And unfazed by Anheurser's Disease mind you....

Great thread! The Phyrst Spring of 84 when I lived in Landis (all freshmen coed) and turned 18( when drinking age was still 18); then Bullwinkles, Poor Paul’s (in that order of course); Thursday night 4 for 1 at Clydes (ladies night); Flamingo Cafe; the Moon. After graduation, the Mill and Roosters! I’m sure I saw a lot of you there over the years!!

The reason
I worked at the Tempo for 3 years, 73-75. Jim Miller was a great guy. The men's room wall should've been preserved and placed in the Tallahassee History Museum. The Electric Eye on Wednesday nights, free beer for an hour and lighted dance floor.
used to have private time for players in late 77-79 a lot of secrets from those parties 😝

Phyrst- 1st or 2nd time there, drunk both times, a hot blonde blocked my route to the restroom and said, “you’re a fox”. What not to like. Drinking age in ‘80 was 18. Co-eds!!! Ridiculous.

Fred’s Back door- strongest drinks in town. Frat boys, Rednecks, and bikers mixing. Lots of fights.

Big Daddy’s Parkway- dance floor. Beat the clock night Thursdays. School of business didn’t have classes on fridays😁 2 for 1’s other nights.

Brown Derby

Honorable mentions-
Rocky’s- Big Ron bounced there while at FSU. Rumors of a meeting of Big Ron, Jack Youngblood, and Larry Brooks and it wasn’t cordial.

Sugar Mill Tavern- before the Moon opened, place to go in the late 80’s for 2 for 1 drinks and pretty women.

Reactions: FSUDoles

Oh Lordie how times have changed, huh???

Reactions: goldmom
All I know it was 18 in the fall of '77. Journey and Van Halen came in the spring
of 1978 in Ruuuuuuuby Diamond Auditorium and the fix was in.
Steve Perry and David Lee Roth
Why do I remember David Lee shoving a legit thorny rose stem down his crotch....?
Is this the onset where I became somewhat or fully twisted? :cool: I was just a naiive impressionable purely innocent young lad taking a rare date to a massive brawl with the spraying of mace..... Let's just say that date ended with a misunderstanding.
The cold *****. I'm still working through it....
How about Molly Hatchett Fall 78 across from Salley Hall? For free! Free Bird for their encore was incredible.

aa0773ccc18ef054f799de33fc63204d.jpg

I didn't go to most of the places referenced here 'cause firstly I was from and lived here so the only places I went to of the many mentioned were Poor Paul's and the Backdoor. Us locals hated with a passion the fratboys especially the "Pikes" and the " ATO"s and more than a few times "tussled" with them. And somehow made it through that time. Then I became somewhat A "normal" citizen. Then I Graduated to places like Finnegan's Wake and Leon Pub. I really miss Donna and Barrett from Finnegan's.
Red, I was an ATO and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Pike and ATO in the same sentence. When I was there, we were too busy fighting the KA’s to fight the locals. I’d love to hear more of your stories. That being said give me the Phyrst and Fred’s as my favorites.

I didn't go to most of the places referenced here 'cause firstly I was from and lived here so the only places I went to of the many mentioned were Poor Paul's and the Backdoor. Us locals hated with a passion the fratboys especially the "Pikes" and the " ATO"s and more than a few times "tussled" with them. And somehow made it through that time. Then I became somewhat A "normal" citizen. Then I Graduated to places like Finnegan's Wake and Leon Pub. I really miss Donna and Barrett from Finnegan's.
I talk to both Donna and Barrett from time to time. Donna still works behind the bar in the Varsity club on game days. Barrett is working a 9-5er and hasn’t bartended in a couple years. I spent many a night at Finnegan’s and the Leon Pub.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT