ADVERTISEMENT

Jenn Sterger rips ESPN for job interview that ended in strip club

If she knew it was a strip club why did she go in, if she was going to be upset by it?

Are people Ever gonna be responsible for their actions?

She could have just made the decision to not enter. Seriously lap dances a part of that scene

I personally never had one I had to pay for!

All I’m sayin is you sit in the barbers chair long enough your gonna get a haircut

Sorry madcow, it had to be said

If she knew it was a strip club why did she go in, if she was going to be upset by it?

Are people Ever gonna be responsible for their actions?

She could have just made the decision to not enter. Seriously lap dances a part of that scene

I personally never had one I had to pay for!

All I’m sayin is you sit in the barbers chair long enough your gonna get a haircut

Sorry madcow, it had to be said

Totally disagree with this.

Tough situation that she should not have put in, I empathize for her if it truly went down the way she described.

Last edited:
What kind of job interview is done in a strip club?

Not trying to be a smart azz

“I later found out through a friend that works there they only brought me in to show his coworkers I was ‘just as f–kable in person as I was in pictures.’

I assume he is referring to those Playboy pics.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
What kind of job interview is done in a strip club?

Many Wall Street and Investment banking jobs?

Not questioning her statement that she had never been in strip club, but it should be caveated with a statement that after a a big game Tallahassee is quite a bit more raucous than many strip clubs.

The same ESPN that just cancelled Barstool Van after one episode, because Sam Ponder screamed loud enough to get many of her coworkers to complain about Barstool because a few years Barstool referred to Ponder as a slut.

I can think of three:
*stripper
*strip-club bouncer
*strip-club bartender

If you conduct any other job interview at a strip club, you probably deserve to end up in trouble

Don't forget jizz-mopper and person who changes out black lights. Although that may be 1 job with multiple duties. And short order cook. See Strip club Dining guide if you are in Miami.

Seems like Fall, 2017 is the time for women to emerge from the woodwork and share stories of alleged piggish behavior (or worse) that occurred 10-20-30 years ago. Obviously fomented by the Weinstein situation.

I don’t at all condone men acting like idiots. Women who are truly victimized should complain. Loudly. But when you wait 1-2-3 decades to air your grievance, I have to wonder if it was really as horrible, and non-consensual, as you claim. What, exactly, do you think can realistically be accomplished at this late date? To me, it seems like some of these folks may be seeking their “15 minutes.”

First off what happened was wrong and if true there should be some sort of punishment or action taken. I find it very interesting that a network that often tries to preach to its' viewers on a number of social issues; brings in all kinds non sports info into their programing etc. is doing many of the things that they tell the viewers are out of bounds etc. Wonder how many athletes they have trashed for doing things that it appears are common place at espn. Now for the unpopular comment. If I recall JS was discovered because she looked hot when she was half dressed at games; sure she may have talent, I don't know her; but the fact remains she had no issue using her appearance to open doors. Nothing wrong with that and certainly doesn't excuse what espn did; however if you use sex appeal and skimpy clothing to get ahead or promote yourself, you shouldn't be surprised when people treat you certain ways. No different than if I were to hang out or associate with certain groups, wear certain clothing or belong to certain groups; how people may judge what I am about may be wrong, but if all they can go off is what they initially see I have helped create that image.

cp-ghost.png

Sterger is criticizing other women for not speaking up soon enough. Sterger herself didn't speak up about this until now.

The whole sexual harassment thing is wrong. There's no defending it. Women should be able to speak out without any negative consequences. Women should also be free to make their own decisions about how to handle uncomfortable situations.

What I find troublesome is that men and women criticize victims for not speaking out, or not speaking out sooner.

I also personally know some women who love being a victim, and will publicly lie about events that never happened, just to get attention. They hurt the message of true victims.

Sterger is criticizing other women for not speaking up soon enough. Sterger herself didn't speak up about this until now.

The whole sexual harassment thing is wrong. There's no defending it. Women should be able to speak out without any negative consequences. Women should also be free to make their own decisions about how to handle uncomfortable situations.

What I find troublesome is that men and women criticize victims for not speaking out, or not speaking out sooner.

I also personally know some women who love being a victim, and will publicly lie about events that never happened, just to get attention. They hurt the message of true victims.
This makes me wonder how much of the #metoo on the internet is fake just for attention.

Reactions: bigloum

No, she's calling out other women for not coming to her defense during the Favre weiner episode.

My guess is that she didn't speak up about ESPN at the time because A) Nothing would have been done; and B) She would have been punished for it.

First off what happened was wrong and if true there should be some sort of punishment or action taken. I find it very interesting that a network that often tries to preach to its' viewers on a number of social issues; brings in all kinds non sports info into their programing etc. is doing many of the things that they tell the viewers are out of bounds etc. Wonder how many athletes they have trashed for doing things that it appears are common place at espn. Now for the unpopular comment. If I recall JS was discovered because she looked hot when she was half dressed at games; sure she may have talent, I don't know her; but the fact remains she had no issue using her appearance to open doors. Nothing wrong with that and certainly doesn't excuse what espn did; however if you use sex appeal and skimpy clothing to get ahead or promote yourself, you shouldn't be surprised when people treat you certain ways. No different than if I were to hang out or associate with certain groups, wear certain clothing or belong to certain groups; how people may judge what I am about may be wrong, but if all they can go off is what they initially see I have helped create that image.
I look forward to the stories you tell about how some guys slapped your daughter on the ass, but it was ok because she was wearing those tiny shorts and a spaghetti strap tank top - I mean, practically asking for it advertising like that.

What, exactly, do you think can realistically be accomplished at this late date?
This is the key question underlying this thread and many off the comments in it as to the timing of many of the women, Sterger included, who've come forward with allegations years after the fact.

All these women coming forward does a few things, not the least of which are:
- creating public awareness of the awfulness, scope, and frequency of sexual harassment and assault
- empowering women in the future to come forward immediately without hesitation or fear

Sterger, among others, may never get their chance at justice but by coming forward they're helping women in the future get theirs.

That alone is reason enough.

Every scumbag guy ought to now be on notice that you do something stupid, you have a higher chance of being called out for it. The lack of accountability men have taken advantage of is now being rectified.

I look forward to the stories you tell about how some guys slapped your daughter on the ass, but it was ok because she was wearing those tiny shorts and a spaghetti strap tank top - I mean, practically asking for it advertising like that.
He has a point. There's obviously a middle ground to everything. But the reason any of us has ever heard of her is because she wasn't afraid to play up her sex appeal. If she had been on camera vs Miami with a t shirt on and her hair pulled back no one would have ever given her national modeling opportunities, etc. I don't blame her for using her looks to move up and she doesn't deserve to be sexually harassed in any way but she has profited greatly off of her own sex appeal.

This is the key question underlying this thread and many off the comments in it as to the timing of many of the women, Sterger included, who've come forward with allegations years after the fact.

All these women coming forward does a few things, not the least of which are:
- creating public awareness of the awfulness, scope, and frequency of sexual harassment and assault
- empowering women in the future to come forward immediately without hesitation or fear

Sterger, among others, may never get their chance at justice but by coming forward they're helping women in the future get theirs.

That alone is reason enough.

Every scumbag guy ought to now be on notice that you do something stupid, you have a higher chance of being called out for it. The lack of accountability men have taken advantage of is now being rectified.

Respectfully disagree. I think these highly-belated and uncorroborated "complaints" detract from the ones that are legitimate. And, if anything, coming out "late" may actually encourage other women to do the same thing. Screw that. If you have a legitimate beef, there is no reason it should not be voiced immediately, and, in a worst-case scenario, within the statute of limitations.

Respectfully disagree. I think these highly-belated and uncorroborated "complaints" detract from the ones that are legitimate. And, if anything, coming out "late" may actually encourage other women to do the same thing. Screw that. If you have a legitimate beef, there is no reason it should not be voiced immediately, and, in a worst-case scenario, within the statute of limitations.
I hear what you're saying, but a complaint could still be legitimate even if long ago a woman decided, at that time, that it wasn't worth losing her job or career over.

He has a point. There's obviously a middle ground to everything. But the reason any of us has ever heard of her is because she wasn't afraid to play up her sex appeal. If she had been on camera vs Miami with a t shirt on and her hair pulled back no one would have ever given her national modeling opportunities, etc. I don't blame her for using her looks to move up and she doesn't deserve to be sexually harassed in any way but she has profited greatly off of her own sex appeal.
Making a living off of your looks doesn't make it ok for people to sexually harass and demean you.

Some of the complaints are starting to make the lines blurry. There are differences in sexual assault and making someone uncomfortable by asking them to go to a strip club. Then there's the hearsay insinuation thing about what the guy says to others. I'm not saying those things are OK, but it seems to all be getting lumped together at this point because of the public outrage.

This is confusing to me - she was coerced to go to the club, and then fired for it? I assume different people were involved in the coercion and firing, but this is confusing.

Sterger said she was confronted by two bosses the following day, asking whether she went to the strip club.

“I told them I had been, but didn’t want to be there once I realized what it was. They admonished me and said it was a bad look for the company for me to be there and to never do it again,” she recounted. “I was fired before my plane landed in Tampa.”

A lot of what Jenn says doesn't make sense to me. I'm not questioning if any of the events happened. I'm not, in any way excusing the behavior of others. A scorpion is always going to be a scorpion. I just don't understand why she would put herself in an awkward position after the first time. Why would she go back to ESPN in 2008 after the events of 2007, especially without knowing the nature of the supposed job she was applying for, and to meet with the same guy who did her wrong the first time?

If a man was seeking a job and the executive making the hiring decision was a female, would you not find it inappropriate if she asked you to meet her and a few other female execs at Chippendales?

If a man was seeking a job and the executive making the hiring decision was a female, would you not find it inappropriate if she asked you to meet her and a few other female execs at Chippendales?
Of course.

It's ludicrous that she was taken to a strip club. There's no defending it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT