ADVERTISEMENT

Kickoff Luncheon cancelled due to COVID risk

northvanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 2, 2003
FSU just announced that the return of the Kickoff Luncheon, which was scheduled for August, will not happen because of an "abundance of caution" due to the rapid rise of the Delta variant. Hijacking this thread for political reasons serves no purpose, so please don't go in that direction. The NCAA and ACC protocols will be based on the cold hard rate of vaccinations. Period. Full stop. There is no data being collected on the immunity of previously infected and non vaccinated players, so don't even bring it up (in this thread). It's either get vaccinated or put this team at risk. Call the NCState baseball team for more commentary.

There are rumors that the FSU football team vaccination rate is not what it should be, and perhaps this is proof. And also a warning. Maybe this is just an incentive for unvaccinated players to get the vaccine. But time is running out. The vaccination doesn't count until two weeks after the J&J shot or two weeks after the second shot of the other two vaccines.

Seven ACC schools, either because they are private schools or public schools that require the vaccine for all students in the state, are fully vaccinated. And apparently they are raising concerns about other ACC schools that cannot meet the expected required vaccination rate to limit testing. Once you tested positive, bad things start to happen. Those seven (and those that meet the threshold) will avoid the testing. In other news, the apparent "threshold" is being raised because of this variant.

giphy.gif

If our team really wants to play this season I hope they “choose” to get vaccinated. I’d hate to see a majority of the season forfeited due to positive tests. Can’t even imagine what will happen to our athletic department if we have to cancel games and people start demanding money back.

Delta variant is real. 3 colleagues in ICU (one for the past 4 months). Another colleague hospitalized on 07/16/2021 & a week later that colleague is gone at only 40-years-old.
As much as I am looking forward to this season (still somewhat hopeful) as I opted not to attend last year, but I suspect stadiums will not be full this year.
When someone close to you who was generally healthy dies (even though I was already cautions) it becomes "really real." I'm really sad that this person who was a very good/decent human being who was a bright spot at work will no longer grace our paths.
Please be careful folks!

The whole season may be in danger. Things don't sound good at all......
The best defense against covid and the delta variant is vaccinations.
My neighbor friend (50) remains on a ventilator and the ECMO machine after being flown to UAB. Three weeks and no improvement. In fact, she has an infection that prevents a trachea procedure. She wasn't vaccinated.

one of my best friends is a doctor and he said he's seeing a big increase in hospitalizations due to the delta variant and people are getting VERY sick. And the ones getting REALLY sick are the ones who've not had the shot(s).

What if a kid doesn't want to get vaccinated?
I imagine we will see a season much like last year if enough decide to not get vaccinated. Which is disappointing to say the least as it appears some programs are having a high success rate at getting players to buy in.

Reactions: Spenser1
one of my best friends is a doctor and he said he's seeing a big increase in hospitalizations due to the delta variant and people are getting VERY sick. And the ones getting REALLY sick are the ones who've not had the shot(s).
This is a fact at this point. 90+% of hospitalized patients are non vaxxed. It’s being reported all over the country consistently.

This is a fact at this point. 90+% of hospitalized patients are non vaxxed. It’s being reported all over the country consistently.
This is now a disease of the unvaccinated. But, the constant testing makes it very likely we see breakouts and players out despite no serious infections/hospitalizations. If there is a way to forego testing, then everything should be done to get to that point.

This is now a disease of the unvaccinated.
I guess that's a risk I am comfortable taking (vs taking the vaccine). I'd imagine those that want the vaccine have already received it and those that haven't are comfortable like I am.

I guess that's a risk I am comfortable taking (vs taking the vaccine). I'd imagine those that want the vaccine have already received it and those that haven't are comfortable like I am.
No problem with that. But, if you test positive you probably aren't going to cost FSU millions of dollars. Truth is a few years down the line, almost everyone in the US will either be vaccinated, infected or vaccinated/infected.

No problem with that. But, if you test positive you probably aren't going to cost FSU millions of dollars. Truth is a few years down the line, almost everyone in the US will either be vaccinated, infected or vaccinated/infected.
So if half the team doesn't want to take the vaccine, what's the move for FSU? Do you make them take a vaccine they aren't comfortable with to save the school money? The issue is numbers here. I don't think the problem is just a few players not wanting to take the vaccine.

So if half the team doesn't want to take the vaccine, what's the move for FSU? Do you make them take a vaccine they aren't comfortable with to save the school money? The issue is numbers here. I don't think the problem is just a few players not wanting to take the vaccine.
You lose another season to this thing. Unless it is somehow mandated like MMR or players change course that looks like the inevitable conclusion.
Fortunately there should be enough football being played to ease some of the pain and boredom.

I don't know else you could do but have them sit out if they don't want to be vaccinated. You can't have them travelling on airplanes and in buses, working out and practicing and potentially affecting the health of other players and coaches because of their personal decisions. They should definitely be allowed to choose not to get vaccinated, but the consequence is they sit out.

That's a very difficult position for fsu to be in, and I honestly don't know the correct answer. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say you prob need to respect the kids' wishes and not require the shot.

Israel is the most vaccinated country on Earth. The Jerusalem Times reported yesterday that more than half of the current cases and two-thirds of patients in serious condition were fully vaccinated per their Health Ministry statistics. It is becoming more and more evident that that vaccine does not prevent one from getting COVID-19. Also, why did the CDC announce yesterday that they recommend masking up indoors for the vaccinated?

• Haha
Reactions: Hayduke GW
Didn't you have COVID? I seem to recall that. Glad you're healthy!
I did. ALL my people did at one point or another (even the few who made it through fall and winter ended up with it in the last couple months). Everyone is good.

I am also vaxxed. Did not want to do it, but in-laws are STILL locked up and afraid and it is not a hill I want to die on. I wanted to be able to see them (though they still made us stay out on porch on Fathers Day when we went by).

Israel is the most vaccinated country on Earth. The Jerusalem Times reported yesterday that more than half of the current cases and two-thirds of patients in serious condition were fully vaccinated per their Health Ministry statistics. It is becoming more and more evident that that vaccine does not prevent one from getting COVID-19. Also, why did the CDC announce yesterday that they recommend masking up indoors for the vaccinated?
Getting COVID and getting sick and dying aren’t the same. The vaccine isn’t perfect but the numbers don’t lie. Israel is averaging 1 death per day, ONE.

Reactions: WLaw
Nah. We can "circle back" in a few weeks and see, and I will be ready for the next argument.
Nah, what? ~90% of admitted patients in the US are unvaxxed and admissions have gone up about 600% in last 4-6 weeks. Standby because deaths will follow as they always do unless they have better treatments that I’m unaware of.

Nah, what? ~90% of admitted patients in the US are unvaxxed and admissions have gone up about 600% in last 4-6 weeks. Standby because deaths will follow as they always do unless they have better treatments that I’m unaware of.
How many of them have multiple comorbidities?

more facts: the deaths historically have trailed positive rate spikes by two weeks throughout the pandemic. we are now 5-weeks into a spike of week over week positive case increases in Florida but the death rate has declined in each of those 5 weeks.

Reactions: gwgwi
more facts: the deaths historically have trailed positive rate spikes by two weeks throughout the pandemic. we are now 5-weeks into a spike of week over week positive case increases in Florida but the death rate has declined in each of those 5 weeks.
It’s been more like 3 weeks and this surge has exploded. Same hospital system I posted about last week with 130 admitted is now at 198. In late June it was 30.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT