ADVERTISEMENT

Kickoff Luncheon cancelled due to COVID risk

It’s been more like 3 weeks and this surge has exploded. Same hospital system I posted about last week with 130 admitted is now at 198. In late June it was 30.
it is very clear on the state of florida reports that the current spike began 5 weeks ago.

it is very clear on the state of florida reports that the current spike began 5 weeks ago.
No, that’s not clear. According to Worldometers using a running 7 day average it’s been 4 weeks. Also according to Worldometers we were at a low of 24 dead per day a few weeks ago and are now at 36. 36 isn’t alarming but it will be going up. Last winters case surge started in Mid Oct while the death surge started in mid Nov. So we’ll see, I’d expect deaths will start climbing in the next week or two. And that train is rarely late. I don’t think it will get even close to as bad as last year but we shall see.

Israel is the most vaccinated country on Earth. The Jerusalem Times reported yesterday that more than half of the current cases and two-thirds of patients in serious condition were fully vaccinated per their Health Ministry statistics. It is becoming more and more evident that that vaccine does not prevent one from getting COVID-19. Also, why did the CDC announce yesterday that they recommend masking up indoors for the vaccinated?

COVID in Israel: Severe Cases Rise as Delta Runs Rampant

This one is from today. They are trending in the wrong direction and the majority are fully vaccinated.

Israel is the most vaccinated country on Earth. The Jerusalem Times reported yesterday that more than half of the current cases and two-thirds of patients in serious condition were fully vaccinated per their Health Ministry statistics. It is becoming more and more evident that that vaccine does not prevent one from getting COVID-19. Also, why did the CDC announce yesterday that they recommend masking up indoors for the vaccinated?
I have no idea what is happening in Israel. But, I do know that isn't the case in the US.

Reactions: gwgwi
To simply be on the safe(r) side. Shots are either 97% effective and as we all know the J&J shot is only 85% effective. Its simply extra precaution.

Delta variant is real. 3 colleagues in ICU (one for the past 4 months). Another colleague hospitalized on 07/16/2021 & a week later that colleague is gone at only 40-years-old.
As much as I am looking forward to this season (still somewhat hopeful) as I opted not to attend last year, but I suspect stadiums will not be full this year.
When someone close to you who was generally healthy dies (even though I was already cautions) it becomes "really real." I'm really sad that this person who was a very good/decent human being who was a bright spot at work will no longer grace our paths.
Please be careful folks!
Sorry for your loss. But you left out two important pieces of info, were they vaxed and did they have comorbidities? Otherwise info is not very useful.
That's a very difficult position for fsu to be in, and I honestly don't know the correct answer. If you put a gun to my head, I'd say you prob need to respect the kids' wishes and not require the shot.
Kids should be able to do what they want but the school should be able to do what they want as well. If you are not vaxed its your choice but it's the schools choice if you will participate with the team this year. So choose wisely.

Kids should be able to do what they want but the school should be able to do what they want as well. If you are not vaxed its your choice but it's the schools choice if you will participate with the team this year. So choose wisely.
I don't think I disagree with this. As long as the school has, in the scholarship 'contract' that they can do that.

I don't think I disagree with this. As long as the school has, in the scholarship 'contract' that they can do that.
I’m sure they do. Not one of the kids in the team enrolled without proof of MMR. I would be stunned if that wasn’t at least broadly addressed in the scholarship agreement.

Reactions: WLaw and mjpwooo
To simply be on the safe(r) side. Shots are either 97% effective and as we all know the J&J shot is only 85% effective. Its simply extra precaution.
I would respectfully disagree. Israel's Dashboard provided by the Health Ministry was up until yesterday showed deaths by vaccination status. Israel's data dashboard provided by the Health Ministry today no longer shows breakdowns of hospitalizations and deaths by vaccination status. Also, why did the CDC not release the data they cited as the reason for vaccinated to mask up again? CDC fails to publish data needed to judge risk of breakthrough infection

I would respectfully disagree. Israel's Dashboard provided by the Health Ministry was up until yesterday showed deaths by vaccination status. Israel's data dashboard provided by the Health Ministry today no longer shows breakdowns of hospitalizations and deaths by vaccination status. Also, why did the CDC not release the data they cited as the reason for vaccinated to mask up again? CDC fails to publish data needed to judge risk of breakthrough infection
Because, respectfully, its all one big massive conspiracy between the CIA, FBI, CDC, The Mob, The U.N., and the current and past U.S. administration(s).
Oswald

Reactions: goldmom
Guy I know that is a virologist mentioned yesterday that his understanding is Israel had a much high number of J&J vaccines, which has a lower rate of efficacy against Delta

Guy I know that is a virologist mentioned yesterday that his understanding is Israel had a much high number of J&J vaccines, which has a lower rate of efficacy against Delta
That doesn't surprise me as J&J has been least effective at fighting variants. Their vaccine has been the least beneficial in a variety of ways, but I can't say I'm surprised with a company like J&J.

Reactions: 89nole and PopsNole
No, that’s not clear. According to Worldometers using a running 7 day average it’s been 4 weeks. Also according to Worldometers we were at a low of 24 dead per day a few weeks ago and are now at 36. 36 isn’t alarming but it will be going up. Last winters case surge started in Mid Oct while the death surge started in mid Nov. So we’ll see, I’d expect deaths will start climbing in the next week or two. And that train is rarely late. I don’t think it will get even close to as bad as last year but we shall see.
36 deaths in a week is not alarming. Check.

a good chunk of the UK took astrazeneca though which is basically a two dose version of J&J. UK had a ton of delta positives but significantly lower deaths than alpha COVID. the CDC does acknowledge that J&J recipients may contract delta but the symptoms will be much more mild.

i'll bite. where was that reported?
Double checked the number when I went to grab the link and I had accidentally grab the 7 day average. Thanks!

Reactions: GbrNole
The whole season may be in danger. Things don't sound good at all......
The best defense against covid and the delta variant is vaccinations.
My neighbor friend (50) remains on a ventilator and the ECMO machine after being flown to UAB. Three weeks and no improvement. In fact, she has an infection that prevents a trachea procedure. She wasn't vaccinated.
Ivermectin. It works.

Reactions: MagNoleA
Ivermectin. It works.
I really appreciate your concern, but now the UAB Drs. are trying another medication (unknown to me) to see if she (55) can respond. This med has a timetable on it and she hasn't responded to anything else.... The update from our pastor is dismal.
24 days on a ventilator, ECMO, and dialysis and a tracheotomy..... Her husband just texted me and he's at her bedside. I feel completely helpless as I mow his yard for him. It just makes me sick to my stomach as my heart aches knowing that this was preventable. Unvaccinated, although she and her husband had covid last year. They thought the antibodies would cover them. And I'm not in the mood to hear that antibodies will cover you. Thank you, again, for your concern.
Thinking of Bobby as well. Its like I'm in a death watch from two different angles.

• Sad
Reactions: WLaw
more facts: the deaths historically have trailed positive rate spikes by two weeks throughout the pandemic. we are now 5-weeks into a spike of week over week positive case increases in Florida but the death rate has declined in each of those 5 weeks.
I’m here to circle back on this. Looks like I was right. Deaths in state of FL now at 7 day running average of 90. We were at ~25 end of June. It’s only going to go up from here.

Reactions: WLaw and GbrNole
I really appreciate your concern, but now the UAB Drs. are trying another medication (unknown to me) to see if she (55) can respond. This med has a timetable on it and she hasn't responded to anything else.... The update from our pastor is dismal.
24 days on a ventilator, ECMO, and dialysis and a tracheotomy..... Her husband just texted me and he's at her bedside. I feel completely helpless as I mow his yard for him. It just makes me sick to my stomach as my heart aches knowing that this was preventable. Unvaccinated, although she and her husband had covid last year. They thought the antibodies would cover them. And I'm not in the mood to hear that antibodies will cover you. Thank you, again, for your concern.
Thinking of Bobby as well. Its like I'm in a death watch from two different angles.
I know it's late but I think you actually have to ask for Ivermectin. They won't just up and do it without prompting.
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210506/covid-patient-in-coma-gets-ivermectin-after-court-order

https://kevinbae.com/2021/update-nurije-fype-is-out-of-the-hospital-and-has-returned-home/

Reactions: GbrNole
I’m here to circle back on this. Looks like I was right. Deaths in state of FL now at 7 day running average of 90. We were at ~25 end of June. It’s only going to go up from here.
no i won't disagree, it's disturbing. it's certainly not following the trend of the UK for delta.

with respect to the florida covid deaths during the past three weeks, right about 90% of them are occurring in the highest % vaccinated population in florida - those who are 50 years of age or older.

nearly 64% of the total deaths occurred in the 65+ age group. that age group is >85% fully vaccinated and 95% of that age group has had at least one dose of vaccine. the most populated areas in florida for those 65+ are generally >99% having received at least one dose of vaccine and >85% fully vaccinated.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
no i won't disagree, it's disturbing. it's certainly not following the trend of the UK for delta.

with respect to the florida covid deaths during the past three weeks, right about 90% of them are occurring in the highest % vaccinated population in florida - those who are 50 years of age or older.

nearly 64% of the total deaths occurred in the 65+ age group. that age group is >85% fully vaccinated and 95% of that age group has had at least one dose of vaccine. the most populated areas in florida for those 65+ are generally >99% having received at least one dose of vaccine and >85% fully vaccinated.
I've a feeling we find out the incidence rate, vaxed/non- vaxed, only if and when it isn't really embarrassing to whomever is the keeper of data (or their bosses) to do it. That, or we discover from other channels.

Do the st
The whole season may be in danger. Things don't sound good at all......
The best defense against covid and the delta variant is vaccinations.
My neighbor friend (50) remains on a ventilator and the ECMO machine after being flown to UAB. Three weeks and no improvement. In fact, she has an infection that prevents a trachea procedure. She wasn't vaccinated.
Im going to guess, unless we get our vax rate way up we dont make it thru this fb season without some Covid disruption that really hurts. Do those teams with far higher vax rates have different government decision makers, or do they just not care about individual liberty and freedom? (SF)

Reactions: WLaw
The head of intensive care nursing in our local hospital was a healthy 32-year-old antivaxer. He died of Covid earlier this week and this was the last stray. Now the remaining 45% of hospital who were not vaccinated have to get vaccinated in the coming month or lose their job. Also, the rate of serious illness among children is also rising rapidly with delta, one of my grandchildren already got it and had a rough time. We worry about the potential long-term effects of the disease given that he was 2 when he got it.

Reactions: MagNoleA and WLaw
Two in my wife's building died yesterday (not in the building, you know what I mean). Over 50 and sounds like not best of health, but still surprises. Neither vaxxed. Wife's boss is freaking and does not want to be in office any more, so hopefully she will quit and my wife can take her job.

The head of intensive care nursing in our local hospital was a healthy 32-year-old antivaxer. He died of Covid earlier this week and this was the last stray. Now the remaining 45% of hospital who were not vaccinated have to get vaccinated in the coming month or lose their job. Also, the rate of serious illness among children is also rising rapidly with delta, one of my grandchildren already got it and had a rough time. We worry about the potential long-term effects of the disease given that he was 2 when he got it.
Lots of kids are getting RSV, not necessarily covid. I wonder if masking the up has contributed to this.

Also, the rate of serious illness among children is also rising rapidly with delta, one of my grandchildren already got it and had a rough time. We worry about the potential long-term effects of the disease given that he was 2 when he got it.
The under 18 hospitalizations peaked at 106 (entire US) two weeks ago. Last week was 92. Data indicates the infectiousness of Delta, is the culprit, not that Delta causes more serious illnesses. Sorry about your grandchild.......
Good news is we are beyond peak for hospitalizations now for the US. 22 of the 50 states + PR have decreasing infection rates, which is a great sign.

Reactions: ChiefWB and goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT