ADVERTISEMENT

Labor Day Weekend in New Orleans

Hammering Hank

Star Player
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
For those planning on attending the FSU vs LSU game, Labor Day weekend in New Orleans should provide some interesting entertainment. This weekend is time for the annual Southern Decadence — this world-famous LGBTQ festival has been a Labor Day weekend tradition in the French Quarter since 1972.
Walking around the French Quarters should be educational.

I live in Mandeville, LA, and work as a physician at Ochsner in New Orleans.
Bourbon Street is not "NOLA" but a fraction representing a city that is historic, cultured, and potentially magical if you educate yourself.
Writing it off as a dump based on a couple of streets in the quarter is inaccurate at best.

We live near NOLA. We have a place to stay in the Garden district. We never go on Labor Day weekend cuz we aren’t into the festival. I’m more concerned about a winning team showing up. As it draws nearer, I feel like I can give y’all some restaurant ideas. We are kinda foodies.
Also, as a little note, in 1999, I watched us play our first football game of the season. The next day I made reservations at a hotel in Nola and Sunday brunch at Commanders cuz I knew we were going to the NC. We lived in Dallas then.

Last edited:
Love Mandeville!
Bourbon Street is not "NOLA" but a fraction representing a city that is historic, cultured, and potentially magical if you educate yourself.
Writing it off as a dump based on a couple of streets in the quarter is inaccurate at best.

We live near NOLA. We have a place to stay in the Garden district. We never go on Labor Day weekend cuz we aren’t into the festival. I’m more concerned about a winning team showing up. As it draws nearer, I feel like I can give y’all some restaurant ideas. We are kinda foodies.
Also, as a little note, in 1999, I watched us play our first football game of the season. The next day I made reservations at a hotel in Nola and Sunday brunch at Commanders cuz I knew we were going to the NC. We lived in Dallas then.
When we get closer please start a thread with restaurant ideas. Would be very helpful to many. Thanks!

@FSU91 said Imma dress up like Belle Watling and have a ball!, That's a big dress
1e84ef69e23e0148010325fbd3154e9e.jpg

For those planning on attending the FSU vs LSU game, Labor Day weekend in New Orleans should provide some interesting entertainment. This weekend is time for the annual Southern Decadence — this world-famous LGBTQ festival has been a Labor Day weekend tradition in the French Quarter since 1972.
Thanks, but no thanks! Go NOLES! Go Army!

I was stationed there for a year when I was in the military. I lived on the West Bank. I did not enjoy it at all. I never did Mardi Gras either. I’m glad you enjoy it. My favorite duty station was Mayport. Cheers.

Reactions: goldmom and cleatm
Obviously lots of cool and historic things in and around New Orleans. Definitely a very neat city in those respects. The WW2 museum is something that everyone should see (among many other things).

But it also consistently rates as one of the most impoverished and crime-riddled cities in America. Its problems are pervasive, and go far beyond “a couple of streets in the quarter.” U.S. News and World Reports ranks Louisiana as the “worst state in America,” based on its dismal crime, economic opportunity and environmental rankings.

Where is everyone planning on getting tickets from? Seems like it’s gonna be a tough ticket

I'm goin but could do without all that.

Walking around the French Quarter is always educational, any weekend of the year. Nole Nation is gonna show up big in NOLA. Can't wait to be there!

I'm heading to NOLA that weekend with @Tobynole98 and our wives plus a couple of other couples. We've got a big house rented via VRBO in the Lower Garden District. Really looking forward to it.
I'll be there staying at the Magnolia (where else?) a couple of blocks from Canal. I just won't be bending over to pick up any pennies or watching Deliverance that weekend.

Last edited:
Obviously lots of cool and historic things in and around New Orleans. Definitely a very neat city in those respects. The WW2 museum is something that everyone should see (among many other things).

But it also consistently rates as one of the most impoverished and crime-riddled cities in America. Its problems are pervasive, and go far beyond “a couple of streets in the quarter.” U.S. News and World Reports ranks Louisiana as the “worst state in America,” based on its dismal crime, economic opportunity and environmental rankings.
The nation's #1 murder rate per capita and that the police force is estimated to be 10% corrupt which means its much more. Despite those numbers, its still a great place to visit. I often miss the smell of fresh vomit and old urine a la The Palace. :)
Those Hurricanes at O'Brien's can make some people literally dance on top of the bar counters.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT