ADVERTISEMENT

Mayweather vs Mcgregor

I don't understand that line of thinking at all, but I can't speak for UFC fans I guess.

It shouldn't be any different than Emmitt Smith having a bad showing on Dancing with the Stars, or Drew Brees getting drubbed on celebrity jeopardy or something.

I mean, I know it's different based on the profile of the thing, but it's bizarre to me that UFC folks would turn on the guy for losing badly in another sport. If their appreciation of their fighters is based on the premise that they could beat the best athletes in other sports in their sports, that's an absurd fantasy (as it would be for any fans of any sport).
I think a better analogy would be Smith or Brees having a poor showing against Greg Maddux in his prime or not being able to score at the rime against Shaq.

I think a better analogy would be Smith or Brees having a poor showing against Greg Maddux in his prime or not being able to score at the rime against Shaq.

Sure, agreed.

I can't think of any boxing fan that would have any thoughts at all about what it meant for boxing if Mayweather went into the Octoagon and got destroyed. However...I think it's clear that UFC has a lot more casual fans in addition to hardcore fans than boxing does. There aren't many boxing fans that aren't hardcore, because the sport is so niche at this point.

So maybe this "fight" could impact casual fans, which would have more affect on MMA I guess.

I would have been far more interested in this fight if they had scheduled two fights, one in the boxing ring and one in the octagon. In both cases I think it would be a whitewash, but at least that would have been interesting.

I would have been far more interested in this fight if they had scheduled two fights, one in the boxing ring and one in the octagon. In both cases I think it would be a whitewash, but at least that would have been interesting.

That might still happen because an mma record doesn't change his (probable) perfect boxing record. If it's semi-close in the boxing match a high dollar mma fight between the two might happen. If it's a complete blowout then I don't think they would bother with an MMA fight.

Let me get my tiny violin out for the poor leeches I mean "ticket brokers".

08b5ec6dc4497f0e9153ed10a82424421c62cb6e3cb4cce60f3e26159d5e278a.jpg

The only thing that would make me happier was if they were NAZI ticket brokers.

Because of the insanely high ticket cost, this will still probably set gate records, even with empty seats. It's not that there's no interest, but they most definitely overestimated the interest when they priced the tickets. I'm sure reasonably priced tickets would have sold out. Gonna be a lot of high rollers getting comped tickets to this event I imagine, which is going to piss off people that did spend $5k or whatever.

I also heard that Mayweather froze out the major ticket brokers from getting in on blocks, so this is really a bunch of amateur wannabes getting their ass kicked.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
If I'm still awake I will watch it on Periscope. No way I'm paying $100 for the equivalent of Ali-Lyle Alzado.

Data provided by online ticket marketplace Vivid Seats paints a similar picture. In recent weeks, the average ticket price (ATP) for Mayweather vs. McGregor has hovered around 5-8% lower than Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, which closed with an average sold ticket price of $3,859. The cheapest ticket for that fight on the secondary market fell in the $4,000 range, while the low price for a Mayweather vs. McGregor ticket is around $1,200 on the Vivid Seats site as of Thursday, down from $1,702 on Aug. 8.

Going by StubHub numbers, the discrepancy in average ticket price is even larger, with Mayweather vs. McGregor’s $3,521 coming in well behind an ATP of $4,456 for Mayweather vs. Pacquaio, according to Kevin Skiver of CBSSports.com. That figure is still well ahead of the third-place fight on the list, Mayweather’s 2013 meeting with Canelo Alvarez ($2,109 ATP) and McGregor’s most successful UFC fight against Eddie Alvarez last November ($1,207 ATP).

For a broader comparison, the most recent Super Bowl between the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons had an average sold ticket price of $5,015 (per Vivid Seats).

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/8/...egor-fight-average-price-trails-pacquiao-bout

But money is still going to be made of course. It's not like it will be a financial failure.

Sounds way better than most would think. He ran out of gas after four is what I hear.

I missed the first two rounds but saw the rest. McGregor did way better than I thought he would. Just ran out of gas halfway through and Mayweather took over. It was a fun fight to watch.

I thought it was a laughable fight. WWE has taken over boxing. Mayweather danced and pranced for four rounds. Then he toyed with him for 3-4 more. Mayweather could have ended this in 2 if he wanted to. Even after getting his ass totally beat, MCGregor's combo of ignorance and arrogance is impressive

Agreed. I enjoyed the fight. Seemed like it was a mixture of Conor mixing stuff up and Floyd not prepping as well and being old. Conor was gassed after 6/7. Conor is just a fighter. His end statement of saying let the man put me down or let me wobble to my corner was awesome.

I thought it was a laughable fight. WWE has taken over boxing. Mayweather danced and pranced for four rounds. Then he toyed with him for 3-4 more. Mayweather could have ended this in 2 if he wanted to. Even after getting his ass totally beat, MCGregor's combo of ignorance and arrogance is impressive
So you don't know anything about boxing, I guess? Mayweather is literally one of the most technical boxers ever and him dancing and prancing is part of his strategy. There's nothing about that fight that was "WWE". I don't agree in anyway that Mayweather could have knocked him out in 2. A fresh McGregor was reliably dodging/blocking his punches while also being posing a real threat as a counterpuncher.

Other than the result, pretty much almost all were wrong in this thread leading up to the fight. That was an entertaining and a good fight till the end. I'm sure the boxing purists wil continue on with their elitist bs.

What if they took the gloves off and let them fight MMA?

So you don't know anything about boxing, I guess? Mayweather is literally one of the most technical boxers ever and him dancing and prancing is part of his strategy. There's nothing about that fight that was "WWE". I don't agree in anyway that Mayweather could have knocked him out in 2. A fresh McGregor was reliably dodging/blocking his punches while also being posing a real threat as a counterpuncher.
I know plenty about boxing and Mayweather as well. I guess we just have differing opinions on last nights spectacle.

How much credit do you give Mayweather for beating a guy with zero professional boxing matches?

Not much.. his wins over De La Hoya, Paq, Canelo, etc are much more impressive..

The fight last night was just a huge circus.

His wins over De La Hoya and Paq would've been more impressive if he hadn't dodged them for years while they were in their prime.

The Paq fight was supposed to happen in 2010 I believe.. but Paq wouldn't agree to drug testing. And I don't blame mayweather, cause Paq was coming up some 30-40 pounds for the weight class. So he just wanted to make sure it was done without any short cuts

A fresh McGregor was reliably dodging/blocking his punches while also being posing a real threat as a counterpuncher.

I only watched rounds 6-10, so I missed when he was doing his best. In 6 he was still being aggressive, but by 7 you could see he was getting tired. Only thing he was blocking Mayweather's punches with was his face. Maybe an MMA/boxing distinction, but he just wasn't keeping his hands up and couldn't react to dodge Mayweather's speed late.
Ref decision to stop it when he did was good. Mayweather was coming after him to make sure it didn't go to a decision.

The Paq fight was supposed to happen in 2010 I believe.. but Paq wouldn't agree to drug testing. And I don't blame Mayweather, cause Paq was coming up some 30-40 pounds for the weight class. So he just wanted to make sure it was done without any short cuts
Floyd Sr. accused Paquiao of using supplements and wanted testing done above the normal. Paquiao agreed but not to the timeline the Mayweather camp wanted. He was willing to be tested at the time of the prefight press conference and immediately after. That surely would've shown if he was dirty.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT