ADVERTISEMENT

Mayweather vs Mcgregor

Floyd Sr. accused Paquiao of using supplements and wanted testing done above the normal. Paquiao agreed but not to the timeline the Mayweather camp wanted. He was willing to be tested at the time of the prefight press conference and immediately after. That surely would've shown if he was dirty.

Fair enough. I don't remember all the details. But I just remember a disagreement on drug testing.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Well, Floyd is 40.. I wouldn't expect him to be able to win a cage fight against a 29 year old guy in his prime

Pretty pathetic that the 'best of all time' couldn't knock out a guy with his lack of training in under one round. Guarantee you if Mayweather got in the cage against Mcgreggor he wouldn't last a round...

Pretty pathetic that the 'best of all time' couldn't knock out a guy with his lack of training in under one round. Guarantee you if Mayweather got in the cage against Mcgreggor he wouldn't last a round...

LOL.

Again, he's 40.. Have this fight 10 years ago and see what happens.

What were you expecting to happen? Floyd let him blow his wad in the first 4 rounds, then he diced him up from there on in.

LOL.

Again, he's 40.. Have this fight 10 years ago and see what happens.

What were you expecting to happen? Floyd let him blow his wad in the first 4 rounds, then he diced him up from there on in.

He's supposed to be good. Just good a ducking...

I don't believe anyone actually thinks Floyd would have a chance against an elite MMA fighter in the cage.

In MMA you need to know how to wrestle, kickbox, box, and jujitsu. If you are really really good at just one of those four, but insufficient at the rest, you won't stand a chance against an elite MMA fighter; and all Floyd can do is box. If Floyd took a year to try and learn the other three sports, while McGregor trained as well, it still wouldn't be enough time to get him out of the first round.

As far as the last nights fight; I was more impressed with how well McGregor did against Floyd, and not how poorly Floyd performed; the gap was much closer than I expected.

I don't believe anyone actually thinks Floyd would have a chance against an elite MMA fighter in the cage.

In MMA you need to know how to wrestle, kickbox, box, and jujitsu. If you are really really good at just one of those four, but insufficient at the rest, you won't stand a chance against an elite MMA fighter; and all Floyd can do is box. If Floyd took a year to try and learn the other three sports, while McGregor trained as well, it still wouldn't be enough time to get him out of the first round.

As far as the last nights fight; I was more impressed with how well McGregor did against Floyd, and not how poorly Floyd performed; the gap was much closer than I expected.

As far as the fight goes, the so called gap being close has a lot to do with age in my opinion.. you have a guy who is 29, in the middle of his prime UFC star going up against an out of prime boxer. And he only made it 9 full rounds.. against a defensive fighter no less! Floyd turned the heat on in the 6th round.. and it was over shortly after that. Floyd hardly threw a punch in rounds 1-4.
So we are supposed to pat Conner on the back for going 9 rounds? Once Floyd went on the offensive, the huge gap showed. Which would have been 10 times worse had Floyd been in his peak boxing years.

As far as the fight goes, the so called gap being close has a lot to do with age in my opinion.. you have a guy who is 29, in the middle of his prime UFC star going up against an out of prime boxer. And he only made it 9 full rounds.. against a defensive fighter no less! Floyd turned the heat on in the 6th round.. and it was over shortly after that. Floyd hardly threw a punch in rounds 1-4.
So we are supposed to pat Conner on the back for going 9 rounds? Once Floyd went on the offensive, the huge gap showed. Which would have been 10 times worse had Floyd been in his peak boxing years.

Well it's not like they are completely different sports like a golfer playing baseball or something. But it is basically like having an elite marathon runner try to outrun Usain Bolt in the 100 meter. Completely different skill set and prime attributes.

Reactions: NebNoles
Mayweather is a chump. Tyson would have destroyed a guy walking into the ring like that. Lol Mayweather...

1caUInF_d.jpg

How much credit do you give Mayweather for beating a guy with zero professional boxing matches?
I don't care if Floyd was in his prime, he would never last a round in an MMA fight with guy at CMs level. Also don't think CM would have lasted nearly as long had Floyd been in his boxing prime either.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Bob Ley said it best this morning:

The fight was a "slickly orchestrated long con that reached into your wallet for a hundred dollars,"

I don't think so. I think if Mayweather could have knocked him out in the 1st he would have knocked him out in the first. Dude reminds me of the guy that doesn't drink at the bar then closes in on a drunk girl at closing time. All he has to do is have a little game and outlast everyone else...

I don't disagree with this.

I didn't watch the fight but was told that on several occasions, when CM had Mayweather in the corner, FM would squat and duck his head. That lead to McGregor hitting him on the back of the head and getting warned. Was told he even turned his back to him once when trapped in the corner. Each time the ref stepped in and separated them. Did that happen?

The fight was a farce. The only reason it lasted that long is because mayweather toyed with mcgregor and wanted to make sure it didn't look like a total joke. Any of the top five contenders would have taken out mcgregor in 2 rounds.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I didn't watch the fight but was told that on several occasions, when CM had Mayweather in the corner, FM would squat and duck his head. That lead to McGregor hitting him on the back of the head and getting warned. Was told he even turned his back to him once when trapped in the corner. Each time the ref stepped in and separated them. Did that happen?

Yes; it was a very poor fight from a technical prospective. Really bad grappling. If you want to see a good fight, watch the replay of Cotto v. Kamegai. Kamegai kept getting nailed, but kept bull rushing Cotto and even at 36, Cotto has a super strong chin.

Yes; it was a very poor fight from a technical prospective. Really bad grappling. If you want to see a good fight, watch the replay of Cotto v. Kamegai. Kamegai kept getting nailed, but kept bull rushing Cotto and even at 36, Cotto has a super strong chin.

Speaking of grappling, how many bottles did you end up going through?

The secondary complaint was the ref warned McGregor for hitting him in the back of the head but never said anything to Mayweather about his tactics. Is what FM did legal? Should he have been warned too?

Ray Lewis is a murderer.
Ray Rice & Floyd Mayweather are woman-beaters.

End of story. Nothing else matters about these individuals other than those facts.

What if they took the gloves off and let them fight MMA?
It would have been like the whole world knows, woman beater would have got his butt kicked so fast he would wonder where he lived. FM is a flashy talented "boxer/promoter" but when it comes to fighting he is a clown who would get a beating against any mid level fighter in MMA

Reactions: cmanole
Dude FM wouldn't win a fight against a mid-level MMA fighter in his prime. He would get put on his back and bludgeoned.

Two different sports dude.. what's your point? He wouldn't last in MMA? Ok?
Does that take away from what he does/done in boxing?

Usain Bolt probably can't compete in a marathon... what does that have to do with him sprinting?

All I'm pointing out when people bring up Conor and Floyd in a cage match is that Floyd is 40 damn years old and probably 25 less pounds.. I would hope Conor could make quick work of him in the octagon lol.

Entertaining fight...
Anyone else notice during the in ring instructions from the ref, that he only looked at Conor?
Conor also referenced it in one of the after fight interviews.
Conor's cardio is terrible...He wasted too much energy for nothing.

Pretty sure the UFC started as a way to let all the fighters from different disciplines step into a ring and see which is the best fighting method. What we learned (I didn't watch) is a boxer (even a 40yo champ) needs 1) boxing rules and 2) 10 rounds to win. What we know when a boxer comes into MMA is that they will only last several minutes in the first round before they are submitted. See James Toney and Randy Couture.

It was a circus show. I had no interest in watching pay having my money for this feed the egos of either of those two.

Pretty sure the UFC started as a way to let all the fighters from different disciplines step into a ring and see which is the best fighting method. What we learned (I didn't watch) is a boxer (even a 40yo champ) needs 1) boxing rules and 2) 10 rounds to win. What we know when a boxer comes into MMA is that they will only last several minutes in the first round before they are submitted. See James Toney and Randy Couture.

It was a circus show. I had no interest in watching pay having my money for this feed the egos of either of those two.

Fair enough but I'd rather give my money to fighters as compared to going to a few movies and donating to Hollywood elitists..
Personally I can't stand FM, but I had hoped CM would somehow clip him...We had friends over so there was the whole aspect of that as well..

Fair enough but I'd rather give my money to fighters as compared to going to a few movies and donating to Hollywood elitists..
Personally I can't stand FM, but I had hoped CM would somehow clip him...We had friends over so there was the whole aspect of that as well..
What is your criteria for declaring someone a "Hollywood elitist"? I'm curious what makes them worse than a guy who beats women.

Reactions: LesClaypool
eh, The fight seemed to be a bit of a joke to Mayweather. He acted like he knew Conor was no real threat, so he just toyed with him and let him wear himself out. From the little bit I've seen, at no point did Mayweather actually seemed like anything hurt him or concerned that it would.

Mayweather has never been the boxer who comes with power and tries to knock you out, but instead one who uses the rules to his advantage and just tries to be quicker and smarter than you. Conor seemed legit interested in winning this thing, he just didn't have the skill to really do it. Once Mayweather was ready to end the fight, he did so. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some under the table push to have him make it go long. Wouldn't be surprised if he somehow became involved with anything McGregor does in boxing in the future.

eh, The fight seemed to be a bit of a joke to Mayweather. He acted like he knew Conor was no real threat, so he just toyed with him and let him wear himself out. From the little bit I've seen, at no point did Mayweather actually seemed like anything hurt him or concerned that it would.

Mayweather has never been the boxer who comes with power and tries to knock you out, but instead one who uses the rules to his advantage and just tries to be quicker and smarter than you. Conor seemed legit interested in winning this thing, he just didn't have the skill to really do it. Once Mayweather was ready to end the fight, he did so. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some under the table push to have him make it go long. Wouldn't be surprised if he somehow became involved with anything McGregor does in boxing in the future.
I got a pretty good feed on Kodi. I missed the first 2 rounds, but it was the first Mayweather fight that I saw Floyd being the one pressing forward each round. Usually he is the one letting the other guy press forward and being the counter puncher. That tellls me without seeing the first 2 rounds, he didn't think McGregor was going to be fast enough to land a knockout punch and his jabs and other punches didn't hurt Floyd too much. And I absolutely believe Floyd didn't believe he had the endurance to maintain pace after 5 rounds so wanted to really test his endurance. Then once he felt him being gassed he pressed even harder and really had McGregor where he wanted him. I think the fight should not have been stopped when it did, but the result I think would have been the same maybe just a round later.

Two different sports dude.. what's your point? He wouldn't last in MMA? Ok?
Does that take away from what he does/done in boxing?

Usain Bolt probably can't compete in a marathon... what does that have to do with him sprinting?

All I'm pointing out when people bring up Conor and Floyd in a cage match is that Floyd is 40 damn years old and probably 25 less pounds.. I would hope Conor could make quick work of him in the octagon lol.
Dude FM wouldn't win a fight against a mid-level MMA fighter in his prime. He would get put on his back and bludgeoned.

Fair enough I just don't buy the age thing. The bottom line is FM made sure this was a boxing match because he knew if even 1 thing from the MMA world was let in he would get destroyed. If they let even leg kicks come in FM doesn't last 4 rounds. My point is the supposed one of the greatest took on a guy that had never boxed in his life and needed every boxing rule to beat him in 10 rounds. I don't care if FM was in his prime or 40 had they allowed anything from MMA into the fight FM is done. It goes to the FM motto take no chances and only agree to fights that favor him considerably.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Fair enough I just don't buy the age thing. The bottom line is FM made sure this was a boxing match because he knew if even 1 thing from the MMA world was let in he would get destroyed. If they let even leg kicks come in FM doesn't last 4 rounds. My point is the supposed one of the greatest took on a guy that had never boxed in his life and needed every boxing rule to beat him in 10 rounds. I don't care if FM was in his prime or 40 had they allowed anything from MMA into the fight FM is done. It goes to the FM motto take no chances and only agree to fights that favor him considerably.

I just think we are arguing two different points.. I think it's safe to say that a boxer going over to UFC won't stand much of a chance.. just like a UFC guy coming over to boxing doesn't stand much of a chance either. The only reason this went to the 10th round was because Floyd didn't do anything the first 4 rounds.. once Floyd turned the heat on, the difference showed in a big way.. esp the endurance. Conor wasn't ready for a 12 round fight.. which is understandable because he's used to 3 rounds in the UFC

I just think we are arguing two different points.. I think it's safe to say that a boxer going over to UFC won't stand much of a chance.. just like a UFC guy coming over to boxing doesn't stand much of a chance either. The only reason this went to the 10th round was because Floyd didn't do anything the first 4 rounds.. once Floyd turned the heat on, the difference showed in a big way.. esp the endurance. Conor wasn't ready for a 12 round fight.. which is understandable because he's used to 3 rounds in the UFC

Agreed. Surely, if this were a straight up street fight, Mayweather gets his tail kicked quickly, even in his prime. He hasn't trained to fight and defend against kicks, grappling, elbows, etc... He's trained to do one specific thing, and that's fight technically within the rule system of boxing. Boxing has never claimed to be the preeminent fighting sport, it simply is what it is. To me, the best example is taking the world's best decathlete and putting them up against the best of one specialty. Most decathletes will get their tails beat against almost any of the specialized athletes. They're not great at any one thing, but they're ok to good at all of them. UFC has become the epitome of a decathlete. You've got to be good at a number of different fighting styles, but not really great at any one of them (That's where this has changed the most since the early days of UFC). If you take a UFC fighter and ask them to fight straight up, within the rules system of any specific fighting style they're going to lose, but the same goes in reverse. You take the best Judo fighter in the world, for example, but with no other skills and put them in a UFC fight, they're going to struggle.

Ok. Not a good fight, as the announcers were trying to sell it, but fun enough. Probably the best possible outcome for boxing and MMA, if people thought they saw something fun.

McGregor's smarter than I gave him credit for (as if you should ever underestimate the intelligence of someone making $100M+ for a half hour's work). He made zero effort to knock Mayweather out, just touching him with pattycake arm punches at a high rate. That was pretty clever, after talking a big game about knocking him out, this strategy actually allowed him to stay in the fight.

I wonder if he pulled the idea from De La Hoya, who I thought had a pretty good game plan along those lines as the bigger guy. He just kept firing on Mayweather, even arm shots, and it made that a competitive fight.

Taking big swings and missing dissipates a ton of stamina, so it also helped Connor extend 2-3 rounds past what I thought he could go. He was always going to gas before 12 rounds, so this had zero chance to be a winning strategy, but there was NO winning strategy. He managed to go 10, not get embarrassed, vs either being KO'd or gassing in 4-5 rounds if he'd really chased him around trying to knock him out.

Conversely, Mayweather did exactly what he said he was going to do, and stalked him for the knockout aggressively. Funny that McGregor did the majority of running and holding. Kudos to both guys for doing what they had to to make it a watchable event.

McGregor landed 2-3 meaningful punches, which is 2-3 more than I expected, so good job there as well.

As for the officiating...McGregor's hammer punches were absurd...in a regular match, a fighter would have lost points or been disqualified. As for Floyd "turning his back" I agree with Malignaggi, the bigger part of that was McGregor stepping around Mayweather...that was really bizarre. Floyd was pulling away in the clinches because Byrd was letting him get hit with hammer punchers, and then McGregor would circle around his back. Mayweather landed a couple retaliatory low blows as well, which went uncommented upon. The officiating was really strange.

Glad that's over, and neither sport is necessarily worse off for it. There's a lot of good stuff coming up in boxing the rest of the way.

By the way...Top Rank and ESPN signed a huge rights deal. Seriously big time boxing has come to ESPN for the first time in it's history. These will be HBO/Showtime caliber fights.

It's a really interesting development considering ESPN's supposed crunch, and the state of boxing in U.S. culture right now. I'm going to guess boxing's strength in the Latino community helps.

Ok. Not a good fight, as the announcers were trying to sell it, but fun enough. Probably the best possible outcome for boxing and MMA, if people thought they saw something fun.

McGregor's smarter than I gave him credit for (as if you should ever underestimate the intelligence of someone making $100M+ for a half hour's work). He made zero effort to knock Mayweather out, just touching him with pattycake arm punches at a high rate. That was pretty clever, after talking a big game about knocking him out, this strategy actually allowed him to stay in the fight.

I wonder if he pulled the idea from De La Hoya, who I thought had a pretty good game plan along those lines as the bigger guy. He just kept firing on Mayweather, even arm shots, and it made that a competitive fight.

Taking big swings and missing dissipates a ton of stamina, so it also helped Connor extend 2-3 rounds past what I thought he could go. He was always going to gas before 12 rounds, so this had zero chance to be a winning strategy, but there was NO winning strategy. He managed to go 10, not get embarrassed, vs either being KO'd or gassing in 4-5 rounds if he'd really chased him around trying to knock him out.

Conversely, Mayweather did exactly what he said he was going to do, and stalked him for the knockout aggressively. Funny that McGregor did the majority of running and holding. Kudos to both guys for doing what they had to to make it a watchable event.

McGregor landed 2-3 meaningful punches, which is 2-3 more than I expected, so good job there as well.

As for the officiating...McGregor's hammer punches were absurd...in a regular match, a fighter would have lost points or been disqualified. As for Floyd "turning his back" I agree with Malignaggi, the bigger part of that was McGregor stepping around Mayweather...that was really bizarre. Floyd was pulling away in the clinches because Byrd was letting him get hit with hammer punchers, and then McGregor would circle around his back. Mayweather landed a couple retaliatory low blows as well, which went uncommented upon. The officiating was really strange.

Glad that's over, and neither sport is necessarily worse off for it. There's a lot of good stuff coming up in boxing the rest of the way.

I will have to wait until it comes out on HBO to see it. Any indication this could have been scripted or staged? The cynic in me makes me question the authenticity of this event.

I will have to wait until it comes out on HBO to see it. Any indication this could have been scripted or staged? The cynic in me makes me question the authenticity of this event.

It won't be on HBO ever. Possibly Showtime eventually.

No indication it was literally staged, but I don't think either guy had any misconception whatsoever about McGregor's chance to win. So from that sense, you could say it was staged from the perspective of both guys acting like it was a competitive fight when neither believed it was, but no, I don't think they went through a script or anything.

At most, I would not be shocked if there was some communication between camps through the grapevine. I could see POSSIBLY the Mayweather camp giving some indication that they were hoping it would go several rounds. They might have let McGregor know that Floyd was going to give him 2-3 rounds to show his stuff.

The appearance of Joe Cortez and Paulie Malignaggi in McGregor's camp tells me there was more collusion between camps than what you'd see in a real fight, but I don't think it went in any way towards a script or a fix.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT