ADVERTISEMENT

My Daughter Got Her Rejection Letter from FSU today

if the college you are interested in allows you to super score the SAT, then it's crazy not to take it more than once.

Reactions: Nole Lou
My daughter, a high school senior who was initially wait-listed, received word that she will not be accepted to FSU. She has a 3.8 GPA and SATs of 1130 and apparently that is not enough. Feels like a stab in the back from the school I have loved for most of my life.

We were probably going to have her complete her AA anyway since she's a dual enrollment student who only needs 18 hours for her associates, but this stings. She has been crying for hours. Thanks FSU.

My Daughter in 2012 applied with a 4.3 grade point average and 1200 SAT and was turned down at FSU. Was I pissed as I was alumni and all my Uncles, Aunts, Cousins and even my Son were FSU grads. She ended up at UCF and graduated with honors in 4 yrs. Because FSU pissed me off I stopped my season tickets after 2013 and cut my booster contribution way back to $360 yr. I’m already a paid lifetime Alumni member. But FSU admissions sure know how to tick off their alumni.

My Daughter in 2012 applied with a 4.3 grade point average and 1200 SAT and was turned down at FSU. Was I pissed as I was alumni and all my Uncles, Aunts, Cousins and even my Son were FSU grads. She ended up at UCF and graduated with honors in 4 yrs. Because FSU pissed me off I stopped my season tickets after 2013 and cut my booster contribution way back to $360 yr. I’m already a paid lifetime Alumni member. But FSU admissions sure know how to tick off their alumni.

You showed them!

According to this, the average GPA and SAT for enrolled freshman in 2012 is 3.85 and 1201, respectively.

http://www.ir.fsu.edu/factbooks/2015-16/2015-16 FSU Fact Book.pdf

Something isn't adding up. Is she a convicted murderer?

According to this, the average GPA and SAT for enrolled freshman in 2012 is 3.85 and 1201, respectively.

Probably applied for the Fall only.

http://www.ir.fsu.edu/factbooks/2015-16/2015-16 FSU Fact Book.pdf

Could have to do with geography/high school. Colleges deny having limits per high school, but almost everyone involved in the system including high school guidance counselors concede this happens. If you're the 41st in line at your high school for acceptance, and in some other high school in another part of the state, some kid with 100 pts lower would be the third admitted, they're going to go with the latter to represent more of the state. If they're looking at the 40th-50th applicants from a given high school, versus spreading those acceptances over maybe 8-10 other schools in the state, you're in a tough spot. It's the drawback of going to a very good high school.

Happened to a kid we know right now...stats are above UGA's median in every respect...but we are in a huge top 20 high school, and there are probably 200+ kids higher than her and ahead of her who applied to UGA, and she got deferred. Even though kids all over the state have been accepted with lesser scores.

It sucks, but it's also understandable that UGA doesn't want to become the college of solely the north Atlanta suburbs, which it could easily do if it didn't consider high schools or geography.

My daughter was a HS senior last year and started college this year. She applied to 8 schools, got into all of them I believe, including FSU. She was a hard working, solid, HS student, and was most definitely on the lower end of the initial group that was accepted for entrance last fall. We were stoked. her mom and I both graduated from FSU and were excited for her.

She is now in her 2nd semester at Troy and is having the time of her life. Excellent grades, all kinds of new friends, and joined a sorority. Never visited FSU, and never had any desire to go there. She later told us she applied there just to see if she could get in.

In the end, I was kind of relieved. I wasn't really excited about her going to Tallahassee and being on the that side of town with the increasing crime rates in the area. She's at a smaller school, but not too small, and made a decision to go outside her comfort zone and it has worked out great.

My point is, it will all work out in the end. Sometimes it doesn't go the way you want, but that's how it is supposed to be.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
My daughter was a HS senior last year and started college this year. She applied to 8 schools, got into all of them I believe, including FSU. She was a hard working, solid, HS student, and was most definitely on the lower end of the initial group that was accepted for entrance last fall. We were stoked. her mom and I both graduated from FSU and were excited for her.

She is now in her 2nd semester at Troy and is having the time of her life. Excellent grades, all kinds of new friends, and joined a sorority. Never visited FSU, and never had any desire to go there. She later told us she applied there just to see if she could get in.

In the end, I was kind of relieved. I wasn't really excited about her going to Tallahassee and being on the that side of town with the increasing crime rates in the area. She's at a smaller school, but not too small, and made a decision to go outside her comfort zone and it has worked out great.

My point is, it will all work out in the end. Sometimes it doesn't go the way you want, but that's how it is supposed to be.

Troy is a nice campus. My son did a semester there, but he was the Bluto Blutarsky of Troy and done in one semester.
HandyDecentAnemoneshrimp-mobile.jpg

This happens all of the time, unfortunately. I know several Bull Gator families with multiple generations of uf graduates whose kids were rejected there. I am talking prominent families who have given major bucks to uf. All of them are pissed and have withdrawn all support of the school. I guess we will see in 30+ years whether the “diverse” kids who made the cut stroke the donation checks like the jilted families that had been doing it for generations.

Reactions: dvorbs11
GT is close to 70% male... and trust me that 30% of females does not resemble a sorority at FSU.

A couple of sayings have come out of tech:
From females: "The odds are good but the goods are odd"
On orientation day at tech: "look to your left and then look to your right... chances are only 1 of you will graduate from tech"
From every student who graduates: "The best two days at tech is the orientation and the day you graduate"....like I said not your typical college experience there.

My fave: They had a raffle at GT; 1st place was a date with the Homecoming Queen. 2nd place was 2 dates with her.

If any of my kids got into GT I would be absolutely thrilled. Place is tough but the connections you make + the reputation is top notch.

IF you graduate from Tech with good grades AND conduct yourself in a polished and smooth manner, you are golden. Of course, that Venn diagram is VERY small. GT has one of the most incredible dork collections you will ever see.

My son just found out he got in to FSU BUT he is in the Pathways Program which as far as I can tell means he needs to take classes somewhere else in the fall then enroll in January. As of not he's not to happy about it. Even though he has a guaranteed spot eventually, he doesn't like the idea of having to start college twice.

Congratulations to your daughter! I just saw this thread and read about her crying for hours after getting that first letter. Then I noticed it was from March and went to to end of the thread hoping to see this.

We are on pins and needles waiting on my son's applications (UMD, NC State, FSU and a few others). We are hoping for UMD for in-state but it is tough to get in there. He also has very good GPA (takes AP classes), but not a great standardized test taker and has an SAT just below 1200.

NC State decisions came out...did your son make it?

My daughter was watching all the videos of those accepted today. She texted me that it will be her in 1 year. I sure hope so!

Last edited:
This is both awesome and sad. Awesome that they get emails! Sad that I assumed it was an old fashioned letter in the mail ... I'm getting old :(

They'll follow up with a letter, my daughter got her physical letter from GT yesterday. Having a real acceptance letter is still pretty cool.

Both my kids got into FSU from out of state. Both did very well on their tests, with daughter only taking the ACT. I definitely think the fact that they had so many family members who were alums was a factor.
This was the late 90's, and I'm thinking it would be different - as in more difficult - today.
It was interesting to see how the other schools they applied to responded in comparison, too. Daughter was admitted to LSU within ten days, son got into every school he applied to - he ended up at his first choice, which was TCU.

I might rent a kid for the weekend just to meet her.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
I survived Dr. Menon in Troy for my masters, and I did it in my mid 30s. I would think it would be an extremely tiny town for the college experience for young folks, but I know several that do. Will she transfer to FSU (I didn't read through the whole thread)?

http://spectrum.troy.edu/gmenon/

My daughter's boyfriend got the pathways acceptance yesterday. He should be coming in under the summer CARE program but they (not sure if they is his parents or FSU, the former won't surprise me) messed something up. The kid is stoked and pissed - he drove up to Tally this morning to try and determine what the issue was with the CARE application and attempt to resolve it.

FSU yet again is outdoing themselves with application numbers and acceptance standards. He has a 4.9 weighted GPA, though his ACT could be a bit better - believe it was a 25 which is sufficient for CARE but on the lower end for regular fall acceptance. More than 47,000 kids have already applied for 6,200 openings.

My daughter's boyfriend got the pathways acceptance yesterday. He should be coming in under the summer CARE program but they (not sure if they is his parents or FSU, the former won't surprise me) messed something up. The kid is stoked and pissed - he drove up to Tally this morning to try and determine what the issue was with the CARE application and attempt to resolve it.

FSU yet again is outdoing themselves with application numbers and acceptance standards. He has a 4.9 weighted GPA, though his ACT could be a bit better - believe it was a 25 which is sufficient for CARE but on the lower end for regular fall acceptance. More than 47,000 kids have already applied for 6,200 openings.
Yea my son said he would have rather been in the summer acceptance group (CARE) than the spring (Pathways). We have a bunch of questions for the office about the Pathways program but can't get through yet. The website has very limited info.

If you adjust the 4.9 for inflation, would that be like at 3.0 back in the day?

Yea my son said he would have rather been in the summer acceptance group (CARE) than the spring (Pathways). We have a bunch of questions for the office about the Pathways program but can't get through yet. The website has very limited info.
Pathways basically replaced deferrals this year. The equivalent last year generally required that students enroll at another college for the fall (many enrolled at TCC), take no less than 15 credit hours, score no worse than a C in any class and have a GPA for the semester of 2.5 or greater. If the kids being brought in through Pathways have a lower high school GPA they may need to maintain a somewhat higher college GPA during the fall to qualify for spring enrollment.

Janice Finney typically heads up the spring enrollment - she is extremely helpful, an amazing wealth of knowledge and a die hard Nole.

Ms. Finney will set a curriculum tailored for the Pathway's students for classes to attend at their fall college. In most instances she already has this mapped out, the caveat being when kids are coming through Pathways that have a ton of college credits from AP, IB or dual enrollment.

If you adjust the 4.9 for inflation, would that be like at 3.0 back in the day?
depends on when "the day" was. could be a 1.0 if we're heading back to the 60's! probably accurate too...

@jamnolfin

Do you think FSU retains copies of old admissions letters? I can’t find mine from 99 but would love to have a copy.

depends on when "the day" was. could be a 1.0 if we're heading back to the 60's! probably accurate too...
Back in the late 60's admission was heavily weighted on the now-long-gone Florida Senior Placement Test. I placed very high on the test and didn't even have to take the SAT.

It's amazing that 47,000 kids have applied to FSU. And that the actual admits is such a small number.

Reactions: GbrNole
It's amazing that 47,000 kids have applied to FSU. And that the actual admits is such a small number.
Indeed. It's up nearly 10% from last years record setting applications when my daughter applied.

Where are you guys getting the 47000 and 6500 figures from?
its in the emails from FSU admissions. they state they have received over 47,000 applications thus far. they go on to say they will enroll 6,200 students for the 18/19 calendar year.

I think it’s deceiving because how many enrolled and how many accepted are vastly different. The acceptance rate is close to 50%.

Reactions: RTM58
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT