ADVERTISEMENT

Need advice on best beach/vacation in Florida

Idaho Nole

All-ACC
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
Pocatello Idaho
Hi friends! Just wanted some input from you all....taking my husband home to Florida for a weeks vacation for his 50th birthday. I want to stay at the beach preferably the gulf side. What are your favorite beaches, beach towns, places to stay, things to do, etc? We’ve been a lot of places in Florida both of us having grown up there but it’s always fun to get other’s opinions and perspectives. So if you have any advice please share! Thank you!

Tough question since 'gulf side' is over half the state. You prefer Panhandle gulf or Southwest gulf?
Where is your husband from?

FloridaCoastalRegions.jpg

Pensacola Beach is beautiful and could absolutely use the business. Just hope the Pensacola Bay Bridge is open by the time you go on your vacation.

Reactions: Idaho Nole
My fair skin hates beaches and can offer little helpful advice here. I just popped in to say one can not keep from smiling looking at your avatar. You two are obviously good parents and best of luck on the vacation. :)

Tough question since 'gulf side' is over half the state. You prefer Panhandle gulf or Southwest gulf?

Thats an old map we have not been the Lee Island Coast for years.

Time of year?
I’m a fan of the panhandle but I love SW Florida this time of year. Naples/Vanderbilt Beach...or even Anna Maria Island.

^^^^Gulf side in the dog days of summer can be MISERABLE. In Spring or Fall, Longboat Key, Captiva/Sanibel and Naples are all great.

Please stay away from New Smyrna to Amelia Island at all times. The whole area is eaten up with bubonic plague, which "they" don't want you to know about. Be super safe and pick a different area. Wink, wink. :D

I grew up in Tally my husband in Lakeland. We are going the last week in May. I spent my childhood going to Cape San Blas, Panama City, Ft Walton. Husband always did Cocoa Beach and Ana Maria Island. I guess my question is where will the water be somewhat warm by the end of May? I’m thinking it probably won’t be warm by then?

Reactions: dero316
Time of year?
I’m a fan of the panhandle but I love SW Florida this time of year. Naples/Vanderbilt Beach...or even Anna Maria Island.
Going last week in May! I was thinking southwest Florida but don’t have much experience there. I will check out those places thanks!

I grew up in Tally my husband in Lakeland. We are going the last week in May. I spent my childhood going to Cape San Blas, Panama City, Ft Walton. Husband always did Cocoa Beach and Ana Maria Island. I guess my question is where will the water be somewhat warm by the end of May? I’m thinking it probably won’t be warm by then?

All ocean water -- Gulf or Atlantic -- should be "nice" in late May. The "bathtub thing" on the Gulf side does not kick in until July-September.

My fair skin hates beaches and can offer little helpful advice here. I just popped in to say one can not keep from smiling looking at your avatar. You two are obviously good parents and best of luck on the vacation. :)
Aww, you are so kind! That’s actually my grandbaby! We have 5 kids but all are grown up only one left at home. We have entered the delightful world of grand parenting and it is awesome!!!!! Too bad our grandson lives across the country from us in Connecticut. That picture was taken at the Boston College game.

^^^^Gulf side in the dog days of summer can be MISERABLE. In Spring or Fall, Longboat Key, Captiva/Sanibel and Naples are all great.

Please stay away from New Smyrna to Amelia Island at all times. The whole area is eaten up with bubonic plague, which "they" don't want you to know about. Be super safe and pick a different area. Wink, wink. :D
Haha, good to know thank you!

Reactions: goldmom
Best for secluded and just the beach, St. George Island.

I've always liked Indian Rocks Beach, away from all the super touristy stuff but enough restaurants and bars nearby.

Hi friends! Just wanted some input from you all....taking my husband home to Florida for a weeks vacation for his 50th birthday. I want to stay at the beach preferably the gulf side. What are your favorite beaches, beach towns, places to stay, things to do, etc? We’ve been a lot of places in Florida both of us having grown up there but it’s always fun to get other’s opinions and perspectives. So if you have any advice please share! Thank you!
30a

St. Pete all day everyday. Beautiful beaches, warm gulf water, and the sunset every night. And when you have enough of beachside, it’s only a 20 minute drive into downtown. The nightlife and restaurants are amazing. The pizza and wall of beer at Oak & Stone is my favorite. Lastly, the new St. Pete Pier is great evening attraction in downtown to check out. Also, the view from the Skyway bridge is a must as well. That’s it. Hope this helps.

I’ve never been, but I have a bunch of family that go to Anna Marie island every year and they love it.
Anna Maria Island all day long, from October to June. My favorite beach in the Lower 48 by a longshot. Unspoiled by high rises. Phenomenal restaurants, spectacular sand.

It depends on whether you want restaurants and other off the beach activities and the time of year. I'm more into nature, boating and fishing and tourist traffic drives me crazy so would go for:

1. Cape San Blas;
2. St. George Island;
3. Cedar Key; or,
4. Upper Captiva/Cayo Costa (no bridges).

St. Pete all day everyday. Beautiful beaches, warm gulf water, and the sunset every night. And when you have enough of beachside, it’s only a 20 minute drive into downtown. The nightlife and restaurants are amazing. The pizza and wall of beer at Oak & Stone is my favorite. Lastly, the new St. Pete Pier is great evening attraction in downtown to check out. Also, the view from the Skyway bridge is a must as well. That’s it. Hope this helps.
Thanks for this I appreciate it!

Huge fan of Anna Maria island. I’ve been going there now for 10 to 15 years. Sleepy island where you can truly enjoy the beach and relax. Traffic to and from the island can be a pain

It depends on whether you want restaurants and other off the beach activities and the time of year. I'm more into nature, boating and fishing and tourist traffic drives me crazy so would go for:

1. Cape San Blas;
2. St. George Island;
3. Cedar Key; or,
4. Upper Captiva/Cayo Costa (no bridges).
Cedar Key is a very quiet, relaxing place. A great place to chill.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT