ADVERTISEMENT

NEW Footie Thread

seminoleed

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
It appears the old one has started to hang up on people after 5 pages, so maybe this one will the few of us on here through to the end.

Bayern up 2:0 HT! Resting players this match day! Good result from the Gooners yesterday as well!

Gonna be a wild end to the Bundasliga with 3-4 teams (Leverkusen, Dortmund and Schalke within 2 points of each other and Wolfsburg just hanging around behind them) all fighting for the final 2 places in the Champions League for next year.

In the BPL still very close in all the groupings but I'm now including Liverpool in the top group as they've played their way in. Several teams in the mix for the top 5 (as there is a very real possibility of an FA Cup final without 2 top 5 teams in it, depending on the draws for the following rounds) as spots 6 (possible) and 7 (definite as Sunderland is in) for Europa will be occupied by non-top 7 teams.

I'm still confused as to why Everton didn't play their makeup game this past mid-week or even this up-coming mid-week. The longer you wait the more congested the schedule gets. To me Man City should be playing their game against Sunderland this mid-week and Everton/Palace should have taken place this past mid-week. Luckily for City (he said with tongue firmly planted in cheek) they only have one more UCL game then their mid-weeks will be free for replays dictated by the FA Cup (as quite frankly I'm assuming they will win the Domestic Treble as this point - or at least both Cups). If City do indeed win the Capitol One Cup and the FA Cup they will be only the 4th squad to have done so after Arsenal (92/93), Liverpool (2000/1) and Chelsea (2006/7).

The Bundesliga gets a 4th club into the CL although through the qualification route
smile.r191677.gif

Even though the title is settled and could be clinched in a matter of weeks when Bayern host Leverkusen on March 15, the rest of the league is wide open like you said. 2nd place Leverkusen and 9th place Mainz, are seperated by 9 points. A lot of shuffling from 2nd to 9th between now and the end of the year with 12 matchdays remaining. Watching the CL in my office at home, and BVB are dominating Zenit 2:0 HT! It seems as though the Russian side is still on its winter break. Not defending well at all and don't look likely to get back into the Tie! NO WAY will they overturn that result at Signal Iduna Park so they better score some goals in the 2nd half or this one is over with. Hoping the Greeks "greek" manu in a little while!
smokin.r191677.gif

Zenit have played better, scored twice this half so far with less than 10 min to play! Only bad thing for them is BOTH times they knicked a goal back, the Doofmunders replied within 60 seconds! 4:2 Dortmund at the moment. This Tie is done!

Olympiakos 2:0 manu 65th min

cdowlar.....cdowlar....where fore art thou my dear cdowlar!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

My apologies to those on here who will post after that are mancs!

So...Does anyone else think it's a bit more than coincidental that my Blues drew Galatasaray (and Drogba) in the round of 16?? Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist or anything....

rolleyes.r191677.gif

I don't thing that Galatasaray are as good this year but an away goal or more for Chelsea would be good!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Tim, I've found that my dislike (nee hatred) of United seems to have diminished now that Ol' Whiskey Nose isn't the manager. The Scouse Peasants have replaced them on my hate parade, along with Hotpants.

The most amazing this about United latest disaster is that Olympiacos is one of the rd 16 teams just waiting for their CL pay check. This was their goal so they sold their only great player Mitroglou and his 21 goals in 23 games to Fulham for 12 mill a few weeks ago. The Greek side only wanted to put up a fight. Tie is not over but it's must see tv second leg.

Yeah Everton should have played it the day after is was cancelled now Tottenham has Europa last two Thursdays.

Drogba vs Mourinho 3rd straight year I think, expect nauseating compliments of both at each other.

Originally posted by seminoleed:
Tim, I've found that my dislike (nee hatred) of United seems to have diminished now that Ol' Whiskey Nose isn't the manager. The Scouse Peasants have replaced them on my hate parade, along with Hotpants.
I understand that Ed and kind of feel the same way. Now I just enjoy laughing at them. Moyes is turning out like I thought and how manu fans feared he would. That team won the league last year by default. They had loads of weaknesses last year but no other team could sustain any form to make a run at them. This year they are being exposed and Moyes is clueless at how to fix things. Lots of records being set this season for them and they are the ones that we all love and the wancs do not! LOL! Loved Keane's comments on the brainwashing of thinking the Prem is the best league etc. I thought it was spot on.

I am sure Ole cdowlar would have banned me by now if he was still here! Typical manc....all mouthy until the shoe is on the other foot and they whine, make excuses or disappear altogether...kind of like gates!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by GriffDog1:
I don't thing that Galatasaray are as good this year but an away goal or more for Chelsea would be good!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Meh...I'll take the away goal and draw, but losing a lead after dominating so much of the match like that is a bit disappointing.

Ugly Chelsea game but they did their job. Surprised Gala wasn't more offensive at home after going down early.

Real with a massacre at Schalke that should have been much worse. Ronaldo with a ridiculous 7 shots on goal, lucky saves and woodwork saved a record home loss for Schalke. For the first time this season were starting to see what a fit Bale and Ronaldo look like together. Real starting to look like a real threat to Bayern but long way to go.

Real gets 2nd win in Germany in 27 attempts! I'd still prefer they draw an English side next and not a German team again.

And now we see the inevitable collapse of The Arsenal, due primarily to Wenger's unwillingness to spring for another striker when he had the chance, and his obvious shortcomings in the tactics department. I'm willing to bet after this year's 3rd or 4th place finish that he's gone, either voluntarily or otherwise.

Originally posted by seminoleed:
And now we see the inevitable collapse of The Arsenal, due primarily to Wenger's unwillingness to spring for another striker when he had the chance, and his obvious shortcomings in the tactics department. I'm willing to bet after this year's 3rd or 4th place finish that he's gone, either voluntarily or otherwise.
The fact that Wenger is still there after all these years is laughable really. All he wanted to do after the match was talk about the "gift penalty" (which IMHO was a clear penalty...hand was up and away from the body and the hand hit the ball...done...penalty!) and not mention that his side created next to nothing during the course of the 90 min. The routine almost seems scripted with him as it is repeated so much. It is a shame as the team had shown signs of some fight in them this season. It was clear to everyone but Wenger that they needed another striker in the team and he should have brought one in during the January transfer window. They will now suffer for the remainder of the season and go back to the form of the past decade of dropping points to teams they should easily dispense of. I am anxious to see what sort of team he fields in Munich next week. I expect an attacking side but who really knows with Wenger?

WTF, has Fox Sports 1 dropped the FA Cup?

What are the odds that Arse and City do not draw each other.

Originally posted by Manch.:
WTF, has Fox Sports 1 dropped the FA Cup?

What are the odds that Arse and City do not draw each other.
If City doesn't its act together in the second half, it might be moot. Yesterday's Arsenal match was on, but nothing today? Is weird.

Wigan wins 2-1! The Cup holders return for a semi against The Arsenal, while Hull and 3rd division Sheffield Utd. meet in the other. Surprisingly, had the Citizens won, they WOULD have been paired with the Gooners.

This is clearly now Wenger's best shot at some silverware. If he fails, he and his miserly ways should part company with the club, IMHO.

And another spot for Europe gets claimed by a non-top 7 side. Possibility that only the top 4 get spots in Europe next year (if Arsenal don't make the finals).

On a positive note, no domestic Treble for City.

Horrible for the tottenhams and evertons and EPL. Another year where Spain pulls farther away from England in Uefa rankings.

No chance Everton keeps Lukaku or Barkley now.

Arsenal I agree must win FA Wenger should already be fine.

Btw, man city must have the worst chemistry of any big team in the world. They look miserable but so much individual talent it often wins out. Total choke as usual like champions league

Man Citeh are still oblivious to the fact that team unity cannot be bought! It doesn't matter who they get to manage the team it still remains a collection of "mercenaries", if you will, that only fight for individual goals.

Originally posted by warriortim:
Man Citeh are still oblivious to the fact that team unity cannot be bought! It doesn't matter who they get to manage the team it still remains a collection of "mercenaries", if you will, that only fight for individual goals.
Meh. You've just described Chelsea too, and it's worked fine for them. Man City just have the wrong mercs. It's really that simple.

Originally posted by LesClaypool:

Originally posted by warriortim:
Meh. You've just described Chelsea too, and it's worked fine for them. Man City just have the wrong mercs. It's really that simple.
Chelsea are similar but I don't think I've described them so much. They still have a longstanding nucleus of players like Cech, Terry, Lampard, etc that provide some semblance of order there. They do, of course, have that Billionaire owner part. For me Citeh is on another level than any other club I can think of.

This post was edited on 3/11 1:16 PM by warriortim

Joe Hart, Kompany, Yaya, Aguero... They're not that different.from chelsea really.

It's the Nasri's, Navas's, and Nastasic's that don't seem to be the right mercs, IMO. Who knows though? I hate them both!

Originally posted by LesClaypool:
Joe Hart, Kompany, Yaya, Aguero... They're not that different.from chelsea really.

It's the Nasri's, Navas's, and Nastasic's that don't seem to be the right mercs, IMO. Who knows though? I hate them both!
I'm not really a fan of any of them either. Good points though. I would call Citeh 1a and chelski 1b then LOL

Arsenal going with an all out attacking lineup. I find this both encouraging and terrifying. I fully expect them to be dismembered on the counter attack but I have to give it to Wenger for starting a side as attack-minded as this. At least he's really trying!

Wow, City with 3 games in hand, are now in control of their own destiny, being 6 points down.

Not going to be easy for City, as they travel to United, Arsenal, home against the Saints and then a trip to Anfield. That's a stretch that the Gunners experienced in February. MC also has to travel to Everton.

Kompany will sit for 3 games and Aguero will miss a minimum of two weeks and the Darby.

Isn't Kompany out only 1 game? I know it was a straight red, but not for violent conduct (which is the 3 game standard IIRC).

Arsenal also catch a break as when they play Chelsea on Saturday both William and Ramires are out due to their reds in the loss to Villa.

I thought that all straight reds were 3 games, regardless of the severity. A red resulting from 2 yellow's is a 1 game ban.

Liverpool embarrassing United. Even if sturridge dove and should get post game yellow it wasn't close.
United has a miserable midfield especially in the middle and the highest paid player in the world, Rooney, continues to be pathetic. Vidic and Evra look ready for retirement. This one could have been 6-0, at trafford! Good stuff

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Liverpool embarrassing United. Even if sturridge dove and should get post game yellow it wasn't close.
United has a miserable midfield especially in the middle and the highest paid player in the world, Rooney, continues to be pathetic. Vidic and Evra look ready for retirement. This one could have been 6-0, at trafford! Good stuff
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Absolutely exquisite this was to watch! Especially the looks on Moyes' face and Whiskey Nose' as well. 9 losses already...something like 21 points dropped by manu at home as well. Holding out hope that the Greeks can hold onto their 2:0 aggregate lead but something tells me they won't. The Prem though is truly going to be a 4 horse race this season or at least it is shaping up to be that way. I do feel bad for cdowlar's dog as he must be getting kicks every matchday from his owner after these results!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

As a Chelsea fan, I'm definitely feeling a bit Blue after this weekend's events. Hopefully they take it out on Drogba & Co. Tuesday in the CL.

1-Nil to the Arsenal!

Arsenal went 3-0 vs Spurs this year w/ZERO goals allowed.

Suck it, Spurs!

Mertesacker & Kocsielny = co-MOTM, no doubt.

If the Goons beat Chelsea, they're in it till the end.

C'mon you Gunners!!

I actually think United drum up some old ghosts and dominate a below average Olympiacos today at home, to survive. Something like 4-1 feels right, i can't see Van Persie playing his last meaningful game of the season today without a good game. Plus the Greek side will most likely play all defense and try to survive the first half. Hope i'm wrong but it's been a season of surprises for United.

CL draw should be massive for quarters.

Everton with a few must wins before the big battles to see if they really have an interest in Europa. Tottenham left the door open. Everton is playing horribly but they got a result last week off of a funny mishit by Coleman, 3 pts is all that matters.

Would be fun to see Arsenal upend Chelsea, but you can't hide Koscielny in big games. And Wenger usually gets tactics wrong in big games these days.

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
I actually think United drum up some old ghosts and dominate a below average Olympiacos today at home, to survive. Something like 4-1 feels right, i can't see Van Persie playing his last meaningful game of the season today without a good game. Plus the Greek side will most likely play all defense and try to survive the first half. Hope i'm wrong but it's been a season of surprises for United.

CL draw should be massive for quarters.

Everton with a few must wins before the big battles to see if they really have an interest in Europa. Tottenham left the door open. Everton is playing horribly but they got a result last week off of a funny mishit by Coleman, 3 pts is all that matters.

Would be fun to see Arsenal upend Chelsea, but you can't hide Koscielny in big games. And Wenger usually gets tactics wrong in big games these days.
Good call, Koot. Bambi with the hat trick and Moyes lives to see another game or two as manager.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT