ADVERTISEMENT

NEW Footie Thread

Originally posted by kooterridesagain:
Rooneys dive was awful agreed unjust. It seems Schweinsteiger gets unjust suspensions each late Champions run. Def many worse fouls in that game.

In the end I can't see Munich making ancient Ferdinand and slow Vidic look 25 again.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Mandzukic certainly occupied the 2 center halves once he came on! That in turn would create more space for the likes of Ribery, Robben, Kroos, etc. Schweinsteiger missing next match may not be as big of a deal as they think. He has struggled a bit since returning from injury. Although he scored the goal yesterday, he was off his game for most of the rest of the match. Lahm was a holding MF yet he was more involved in the offense going forward than Basti was!? Martinez is a holding MF in a 4-2-3-1 like Heynckes fielded last year and NOT a CB like Pep is trying him at. Obviously, with Dante suspended he was forced to play him there but Dante returns for the next match in Munich. That means Martinez being suspended is of little to no impact to the team since Pep has not used him in MF in a long time. I think we see Neuer-Alaba,Dante,Boateng,Rafinha-Ribery,Lahm,Kroos,Mueller(or Goetze),Robben-Mandzukic as the XI for the return leg. Fact I heard today: Bayern have had a 1:1 Away 1st leg result in the CL 11 times in their history and won the return leg ALL 11 times. We shall see what happens!

Devastating ending for Chelsea...Looks like both England & Europe are lost now.

Originally posted by NoleLizards:
Indeed devastating. Only hope is that Zlatan is out next week, and Eto is back and we can win 2-0. Europe was never in the cards, but making the final 4 was possible. Oh well, lost season with no hardware, but Cech is probably gone now and we can finally bring in the future with Courtois,

Originally posted by fsugrad06:

Originally posted by NoleLizards:
Indeed devastating. Only hope is that Zlatan is out next week, and Eto is back and we can win 2-0. Europe was never in the cards, but making the final 4 was possible. Oh well, lost season with no hardware, but Cech is probably gone now and we can finally bring in the future with Courtois,
I don't have NBC SN, so I rarely get to see Chelsea's BPL matches. Never mind...finally found the info about Cole still being out with a knee injury.

This post was edited on 4/2 5:07 PM by NoleLizards

Huge PSG goal at the end that tie got a lot more interesting. Psg has some great weapons. Chelsea I don't think can shut them out.

Real should have won 7-2. Some really poor defending both ways. Varane should be furious. I do not get it.

Ronaldo off injured, he's exhausted and an insane amount of games this month. I expect they'll rest him Saturday and hope he's fit for Dortmund trip. Real gets a first half goal away they can relax, but I doubt they shut out Dortmund again. They were a bit lucky today on defense, but not offensively.

Dortmund simulation whole second half surprised me in the box, how Barcelona of them. I respect their club a lot that was disappointing.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Rooneys dive was awful agreed unjust. It seems Schweinsteiger gets unjust suspensions each late Champions run. Def many worse fouls in that game.

In the end I can't see Munich making ancient Ferdinand and slow Vidic look 25 again.

LOL! After Ribery getting Rafael red carded when the French diver threw an elbow that assisted Munich to win the 2nd leg the last time they played in champions league. Consider it poetic justice this time around. :)

And on another note, CONCACAF officials make sure that the Mexicans don't lose yet again to the US.

Hell, I'd rather have seen Howard Webb as the center than any group of refs from CONCACAF.

Landon Donovan is now behind G Zusi and B Davis at wing in Jurgens imaginary depth chart.

If Donovan doesn't start in Brazil there is no reason to watch the slaughter. Germany and Portugal just stopped scouting the us team and popped the champagne. A day too late for April fools

Just read after the game Jurgen said Donovan had a bad practice day before and a knee knock.
His story changes by the minute Jurgen doing his best Mourinho lately

Just read after the game Jurgen said Donovan had a bad practice day before and a knee knock.
No mocking The Special One!
tongue.r191677.gif

Originally posted by rdbarks10:

LOL! After Ribery getting Rafael red carded when the French diver threw an elbow that assisted Munich to win the 2nd leg the last time they played in champions league. Consider it poetic justice this time around. :)

LOL! What? The elbow you refer to by Ribery was him pulling away from Rafael grabbing him as he was going by him. You do this on a yellow and you have no complaints. Fail to see any comparison here when Basti goes off with NO Contact at all and Valencia stays on for his ACTUAL foul with contact on Boateng.

Ribery has a nice diving career tape, agreed, was only talking about the game this week. Thought calls were inconsistent.

Onto the big club weekend ahead...

Which big star in footy doesn't!? They all do it and do so regularly! It's a part of the game that I wish would go away!

Only thing I've read concerning last night (I didn't watch because the game was too late) was that Green is likely out for WC after his play and Gonzalez is in trouble for his spot in the starting 11.

Ribery has a nice diving career tape, agreed, was only talking about the game this week. Thought calls were inconsistent.

And so does Robben, sorry but I don't want hear a club complain of diving when your two stars make a living of doing it.

Landon Donovan is now behind G Zusi and B Davis at wing in Jurgens imaginary depth chart.

If Donovan doesn't start in Brazil there is no reason to watch the slaughter. Germany and Portugal just stopped scouting the us team and popped the champagne. A day too late for April fools

He's making stars work for their starting position and rewards players based on performance. We have a lot of guys that coasted under the former coach: Dempsey, Altidore, Donovan, Johnson, and Beasley. He's trying to get them to perform consistently.

No why Edu isn't starting at Center Back, that's a good question.

rdbarks,

Edu is interesting, but the Lichaj never starting at wing back when euros are in is just downright baffling. Kid is our best wing back and he probably won't go to Brazil.

Otherwise, I totally disagree IMHO, on the "having to earn it." Only Doonvan has had to, and no matter what he can't earn it, it's a no win situation with Jurgen. He only cares about performance over reputation when it suits him.

Donovan was Gold Cup MVP just last summer surrounded by our B team, and after the tournament all Jurgen did was criticize him. Donovan finished MLS year strong got them deep as usual, more criticism. 2010 Donovan scored a goal 3 straight games people like to forget, no other American has ever done that, he was spectacular, now he's washed up? Zusi is gonna run by German fulbacks?

Dempsey has been an atrocious player the last year for club and he continues to start him and give him captain's armband, captain bad attitude and no work ethic is our captain. All Jurgen does is defend Dempsey it's nauseating.

Bradley back to MLS, Jurgen cries foul, and starts him.

Altidore has what 1 goal in 30 games? he'll still start.

Brad Davis and GOnzalez have all had slow starts to MLS season, both started.

Wondo had a terrible 2013 and kept getting caps last year, did score few early MLS but he's starting.

Rimando hasn't been a top shelf MLS keeper in years, keeps starting.

You get my point, I just find it unreal that the all time leader in goals/assists who dominated last gold cup can't get a fair shake from a coach who constantly disses him in the press. It's unprofessional at the least and stupid at best. IMHO this team will only go as far as Landon and Bradley take them. Yes the offense and defense is a mess but in games vs WOrld Class competition only Bradley and Donovan have proven the last decade that they belong and can win games. And Tim Howard usually.
Donovan is 50/50 club. Now tell me what star striker he's been feeding all these years for those 50 assists, and what star #10 has been feeding him 50 goals + all these years? It's a remarkable feat, and US fans are going to miss Donovan like nobody can imagine. There is no attacking player like him and i've been looking for 12 years on our youth teams. Nada.

Originally posted by rdbarks10:

And so does Robben, sorry but I don't want hear a club complain of diving when your two stars make a living of doing it.

Did you still feel this way when CR7 played for manu? It's all good though. The calls were inconsistent and that's the point. Bringing up the past is a fun topic but not relevant in what happened during the match.

rdbarks,

Edu is interesting, but the Lichaj never starting at wing back when euros are in is just downright baffling. Kid is our best wing back and he probably won't go to Brazil.

Otherwise, I totally disagree IMHO, on the "having to earn it." Only Doonvan has had to, and no matter what he can't earn it, it's a no win situation with Jurgen. He only cares about performance over reputation when it suits him.

Donovan was Gold Cup MVP just last summer surrounded by our B team, and after the tournament all Jurgen did was criticize him. Donovan finished MLS year strong got them deep as usual, more criticism. 2010 Donovan scored a goal 3 straight games people like to forget, no other American has ever done that, he was spectacular, now he's washed up? Zusi is gonna run by German fulbacks?

Dempsey has been an atrocious player the last year for club and he continues to start him and give him captain's armband, captain bad attitude and no work ethic is our captain. All Jurgen does is defend Dempsey it's nauseating.

Bradley back to MLS, Jurgen cries foul, and starts him.

Altidore has what 1 goal in 30 games? he'll still start.

Brad Davis and GOnzalez have all had slow starts to MLS season, both started.

Wondo had a terrible 2013 and kept getting caps last year, did score few early MLS but he's starting.

Rimando hasn't been a top shelf MLS keeper in years, keeps starting.

You get my point, I just find it unreal that the all time leader in goals/assists who dominated last gold cup can't get a fair shake from a coach who constantly disses him in the press. It's unprofessional at the least and stupid at best. IMHO this team will only go as far as Landon and Bradley take them. Yes the offense and defense is a mess but in games vs WOrld Class competition only Bradley and Donovan have proven the last decade that they belong and can win games. And Tim Howard usually.
Donovan is 50/50 club. Now tell me what star striker he's been feeding all these years for those 50 assists, and what star #10 has been feeding him 50 goals + all these years? It's a remarkable feat, and US fans are going to miss Donovan like nobody can imagine. There is no attacking player like him and i've been looking for 12 years on our youth teams. Nada.
All of your complaints are valid and go along hand in hand with Klinsmann from his 1st days in charge of Germany! Jogi Loew did the tactical stuff and Klinsmann got the credit! Klinsmann's time at Bayern was a complete waste of time for us and so is his time with the USA. What sense did it make to cut loose his right hand man Vasquez(?) within a few months of the WC? His reign has been dotted with questionable decisions in all facets of the NT! I would be shocked to see the USA make it out of the group stage.

Warrior,
You're right our soccer media mostly doesn't realize the panic a regime is in when they replace long time coaches two months out of a World Cup. Not a good sign and par for Jurgen

Well, I see Ibrahimovic is out 4 weeks with the hammy injury. Just maybe the Blues have a chance after all following yesterday's disaster.

Wow brutal news for PSG, huge Chelsea gift. Can Mourinho actually play an attacking formation from the start? We shall see

Wow brutal news for PSG, huge Chelsea gift. Can Mourinho actually play an attacking formation from the start? We shall see
Mourinho will park the bus....get 2 goals on the counter v PSG and the world will sing the praises of the Special One!
smokin.r191677.gif

injury concerns warranted for Real too, Ronaldo out tomorrow for big La Liga trip to Sociedad, questionable for Dortmund Tuesday.

Benteke tough break, so does Lukaku now start for Belgium? Big blow for Belgium

Everton! The original blues crush Arsenal what a performance. They don't make a lot of money and some aren't that talented but what effort, I love it!

For the first time Everton now control the champions league over Arsenal. And also a plus 5 goal difference which may come into play.

Next up at Sunderland gotta keep it going still 6 to play and a tough finish.

Arsenal needs playmakers desperately and Wenger refused to change his tactics mid game even though Everton exploited a gap all game in front of their defense. Sleepless nights for Wenger this week

Not trying to be an arse here (see what I did there?), but I think this late season collapse by the Gunners has to be somewhat unprecedented. Some of you with more knowledge about the EPL's history than I, please chime in.

Ebenezer Wenger now paying the price for not buying and developing depth throughout the roster. This collapse is just horrible.

Massive road result for Pool today...Damned Scousers just might take home the trophy.

Noble lizards,

Yes, no team in EPL history has had 60 points after 30 games and missed top 4 finish. Both Arsenal and Everton were in that boat so one will be the first but headed in different directions. Everton were like a dozen points back a month ago

Noble lizards,

Yes, no team in EPL history has had 60 points after 30 games and missed top 4 finish. Both Arsenal and Everton were in that boat so one will be the first but headed in different directions. Everton were like a dozen points back a month ago
United is 7 points out of that last CL spot and with a game at Everton. It could get interesting, as United will attempt to bump Arsenal out of the CL by winning the UCL, much like Chelsea did a few years back when they bumped the Spurs.

I'll go out on a limb and say that ManU will not win the CL.

I also will say that arsenal won't finish in the Top 4.

I'd pick Wigan to beat arsenal next week in the FA cup semis too. They've totally fallen apart. Wigan should be smelling blood.

Ronaldo knee issue becoming concerning not sure he'll play again today after missing Saturdays game, but Bale fit.
Surprised to hear so many pundits picking Chelsea, I know they're home but they have issues, I'd be surprised if they shut out PSG or score 3. We shall see

Halftime. Pepe 2, Madrid 0. ronaldo might have yo come on but I'd just yank Pepe

Demba BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow!
Real hangs on they were awful without CR, he's better get fit

I couldn't deal with pic in pic missed much of Chelsea shocked they got shut out. Recap anyone?

Utmost respect for Dortmund. Ancelotti got nothing correct today. Varane must start or it's semis and out yet again.

Fully expecting a Real v Atletico and Bayern v Chelsea in the Semi Final Draw this Friday but we shall see. Credit to manu, who tactically found ways to stay in the Tie over the course of the 2 legs. Employing the park the bus and hit on the break tactic for nearly the whole of the 2 matches. Props as that is one more thing I love about the game. Tactics can negate other side's strengths etc. Rafinha coming on allowed our tactics to finally change and it showed. We essentially played with 3 at the back until that time. Doing so, negated any width on the right side of the pitch, as it was Robben v Evra and Kagawa out there as Lahm played more central in the creative midfield. Evra with a 1 in a 100 rocket, but it only seemed to wake us up from that point as Bayern made the 1:1 within 60 seconds of that goal. All in all, we made it through to the Semi's with a real concern in the MF tonight due to suspension(Basti and Javi) and injury to Thiago. If you saw Bayern's bench tonight besides,Pizarro, van Buyten and Rafinha, we had FCB II players sitting in the other spots on the touchline! This weekend is the return fixture of Bayern v Dortmund...hoping for a great match there in the Allianz. Auf gehts Ihr Roten!
smokin.r191677.gif

Bayern got it done but if they play as bad as they did first 3 halves vs United that'll be it for them in semis. Was surprised Bayern had so much trouble in the box didn't have many ideas to break it down. They rely on width IMHO too much in these two legs as United took away.
2nd half was what everyone expects of them. Some nervous moments there.

Atletico dominated chances should have scored 5 goals and gotten a pk on Mascherano. messi was disinterested. Really great crowd and positive football by Atletico.

I agree on draw predictions but Real vs Chelsea also makes sense.

Hard when a team plays with 8-9 in the box! Ask Barca from a few yrs back with Chelsea and AC Milan! Real Madrid May be great on attack but their defense is a sieve! Atletico is a bogey team if they can get Costa(?) back healthy!

Bayern got it done but if they play as bad as they did first 3 halves vs United that'll be it for them in semis. Was surprised Bayern had so much trouble in the box didn't have many ideas to break it down. They rely on width IMHO too much in these two legs as United took away.
2nd half was what everyone expects of them. Some nervous moments there.

Atletico dominated chances should have scored 5 goals and gotten a pk on Mascherano. messi was disinterested. Really great crowd and positive football by Atletico.

I agree on draw predictions but Real vs Chelsea also makes sense.

Much of Bayern's issues you mention were due to the way manu played. Issues in the box can be caused by the fact that most times there were 8 manu players in the box! LOL! Issue I had was the way they used Lahm in the center as it took away the advantages of any overlapping runs.....which is usually the tactics. Barca are no longer Barca BUT huge respect for Atletico. Real is a team that must improve more than anyone in defense for sure the next round. Excited to see the Draw tomorrow morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT