ADVERTISEMENT

New shorts

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
I stopped into a surf shop in Virginia Beach the other day looking for some new digs. It was a blast and I could have done almost all of my Christmas shopping there. It was a step back into fun times. Oh, the chicks working there were hawt.

Wave Riding Vehicles
Not only is Virginia Beach home to Wave Riding Vehicles’ global headquarters, but also exists as one of only five WRV locations in the world. For over 50 years, WRV has served as a leader in apparel and equipment for all things surf, skate and snow. WRV designs and sells a host of private label and brand-name products including outerwear, accessories, drinkware and children’s apparel. Perhaps most importantly, WRV creates custom surfboards running the gambit of longboards, alternative shorts, performance and more. WRV also offers surf lessons and skate camps.WaveRidingVehicles.com

I bought a really comfortable pair of board shorts and a shirt. I know that @BrainVision likely will not approve, but I took the leap.

https://www.quiksilver.com/products/waterman-backwater-20-amphibian-boardshorts

Reactions: BrianNole777
Hey, if you are wearing those board shorts while actually in the water, you have my full support! Matching the clothing to the activity is my primary objective. I just picked up a couple of aloha shirts at Kahala, myself, while in Honolulu.

Hey, if you are wearing those board shorts while actually in the water, you have my full support! Matching the clothing to the activity is my primary objective. I just picked up a couple of aloha shirts at Kahala, myself, while in Honolulu.
Noice. I love an aloha shirt. A buddy gave me one he outgrew right out of high school and that is one of my go to shirts for nearly all occasions.
This is the one I got the other day. Mountain Hardwear produces quality stuff. Not silk, but a good daily wear….

Reactions: BrainVision
I know that Mountain Hardware has a good reputation. My personal favorite for aloha shirts is Pagong. The cotton/linen fabric and the patterns are excellent.

Pagong Kyoto Aloha Shirts
Very cool selection there. The Devine Beasts would be my first choice. Water Dragon second call… Was Honolulu a good time?

I can’t begin to imagine the aftermath from the fires on the entire island group.

Well if board shorts have to be worn in the water, what activity do you have to be doing to wear the aloha shirts?

Very cool selection there. The Devine Beasts would be my first choice. Water Dragon second call… Was Honolulu a good time?

I can’t begin to imagine the aftermath from the fires on the entire island group.
I have the "Floral Cascade" and a more subdued crane motif that I do not see on the website currently.

Honolulu was okay. We were staying in Waikiki, and I really do not like that area at all. I spent a couple of days exploring the capitol district around Iolani Palace, which was amazing, and Chinatown.

I spent several hours hanging out with folks who run this tiny cafe in Chinatown, called Drip Studio HNL. Vince made me three of the best cups of coffee I have ever had, and I learned more sitting at his bar talking to him and watching him work than I have in 25 years of trying to become a competent amateur coffee maker.

We also found a great tiki bar in Chinatown called the Skull & Crown Trading Co. It is more of a craft cocktail bar than any of the others that I saw in the area, and the drinks are excellent. I strongly recommend the Crystal Skull. I did drop in and have a beer in Smith's Union Bar, which is the oldest bar in Hawaii. It's a legit dive, and I am glad that I went. I am also glad that I went alone, and I don't see myself returning.

We also made it over to Kailua Bay, which has far prettier beaches than Honolulu, proper, I think. There is very little to do on that side of the island, but it is undeniably gorgeous.

I have the "Floral Cascade" and a more subdued crane motif that I do not see on the website currently.

Honolulu was okay. We were staying in Waikiki, and I really do not like that area at all. I spent a couple of days exploring the capitol district around Iolani Palace, which was amazing, and Chinatown.

I spent several hours hanging out with folks who run this tiny cafe in Chinatown, called Drip Studio HNL. Vince made me three of the best cups of coffee I have ever had, and I learned more sitting at his bar talking to him and watching him work than I have in 25 years of trying to become a competent amateur coffee maker.

We also found a great tiki bar in Chinatown called the Skull & Crown Trading Co. It is more of a craft cocktail bar than any of the others that I saw in the area, and the drinks are excellent. I strongly recommend the Crystal Skull. I did drop in and have a beer in Smith's Union Bar, which is the oldest bar in Hawaii. It's a legit dive, and I am glad that I went. I am also glad that I went alone, and I don't see myself returning.

We also made it over to Kailua Bay, which has far prettier beaches than Honolulu, proper, I think. There is very little to do on that side of the island, but it is undeniably gorgeous.
Sounds like a great trip. Nice. That is one we hope to do. I mostly enjoy a solid coffee from our Jura and don’t expand much on that. May have to study under drip studio hnl to expand our morning offerings.

Last edited:
Existing in Hawaii.
So, its mandatory wear? You can't just go out in a tee shirt?

JK. I go there a lot for work and lots of people wear them. My wife (born and grew up there) tells me the locals wear more muted patterns and of certain brands. They almost look like they are inside out.

Reactions: noletaire
But never shorts for just casual wear, right? 😉
dodged-dodging.gif

;)

Good god. Who would spend that on a shirt? Maybe on a Barbour jacket or something but a shirt? Ill go with a 30 buck Coast Hippie t shirt.
BV travels and could maybe use a Barbour, but that is not So Cal gear. He is likely gonna buy sport coat instead of the Barbour.
I could absolutely see him buying from Kahala.

BV travels and could maybe use a Barbour, but that is not So Cal gear. He is likely gonna buy sport coat instead of the Barbour.
I could absolutely see him buying from Kahala.
You are quite right! Although, I am on a "one-in, one-out" policy for my sportcoats and blazers at this point. Barbour is not my style, but I did pick up a new heavy pea coat for cold weather this year.

I love Kahala. The history of company is cool, and the shirts have history and tradition. The reverse printing is iconic, and I really like that they are still made in Hawaii.

• Love
Reactions: billanole
You are quite right! Although, I am on a "one-in, one-out" policy for my sportcoats and blazers at this point. Barbour is not my style, but I did pick up a new heavy pea coat for cold weather this year.

I love Kahala. The history of company is cool, and the shirts have history and tradition. The reverse printing is iconic, and I really like that they are still made in Hawaii.
Yep. Just buying and wearing a shirt is typical. Buying and wearing native art is a very different “thang”.
Good on yah, BV

Good god. Who would spend that on a shirt? Maybe on a Barbour jacket or something but a shirt? Ill go with a 30 buck Coast Hippie t shirt.
And you will sport around in a $30 shirt. All good. Show up big.
Does buying the Barbour jacket elevate your “status”?

And you will sport around in a $30 shirt. All good. Show up big.
Does buying the Barbour jacket elevate your “status”?
Clothing is about function not status. Nobody really cares what you have on unless it's one of those celeb junkies that monitor those types. I travel a lot, so my gear is all about function and not having to carry a big bag everywhere. A Barbour jacket will last years so its 300 bucks well spent. Warm, waterproof, windbreaker they do it all and can add a liner for when its extra cold.

Now for when I'm in Florida its easy. T shirt, shorts and flip flops.

Clothing is about function not status. Nobody really cares what you have on unless it's one of those celeb junkies that monitor those types. I travel a lot, so my gear is all about function and not having to carry a big bag everywhere. A Barbour jacket will last years so its 300 bucks well spent. Warm, waterproof, windbreaker they do it all and can add a liner for when its extra cold.

Now for when I'm in Florida its easy. T shirt, shorts and flip flops.
You just described why I bought the shorts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT