ADVERTISEMENT

Nootropics

RealtyNole

Sep 6, 2016
Do any of you use a certain type/brand? Any feedback? Experiences with it?

There is essentially no strong evidence for the existence of any nootropic medication or substance beyond the basic central nervous system stimulants: caffeine, nicotine, and the ADHD/narcolepsy drugs. Even those chemicals have notably limited and diminishing effects for people who do not have impaired cognitive functioning.

The best nootropic is adequate sleep, good nutrition, hydration, daily cardiovascular exercise, and stress reduction.

There is essentially no strong evidence for the existence of any nootropic medication or substance beyond the basic central nervous system stimulants: caffeine, nicotine, and the ADHD/narcolepsy drugs. Even those chemicals have notably limited and diminishing effects for people who do not have impaired cognitive functioning.

The best nootropic is adequate sleep, good nutrition, hydration, daily cardiovascular exercise, and stress reduction.

Thank you.

If you're willing to put your life at risk, and risk jail time, I heard from a friend that you can get modafinil delivered to your house from India. I do not recommend this. I am not a lawyer, or a non-lawyer spokesperson. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUDoles
If you're willing to go the pharmaceutical route you can get modafinil delivered to your house from India. To be clear I don't recommend this, I tried it and had more negative effects than good ones... I felt jittery, elevated heart rate and blood pressure, headache, etc. Positive effects were "okay" felt more focused for 3-5 hours.

Hmmm, it sounds like the positive effects of the three to five hours of focus will allow you to call 911 without misdialing, hear the approaching sirens, possibly unlock your door and perhaps even talk to the paramedics and attending emergency room staff.

I think I’ll just drink my coffee in the morning....

If you're willing to go the pharmaceutical route you can get modafinil delivered to your house from India. To be clear I don't recommend this, I tried it and had more negative effects than good ones... I felt jittery, elevated heart rate and blood pressure, headache, etc. Positive effects were "okay" felt more focused for 3-5 hours.

No, I’ll pass. I’ll take a little bit of Kratom if I’m having a bad migraine, but I’ll stay away from the overseas pharmaceuticals.

Hmmm, it sounds like the positive effects of the three to five hours of focus will allow you to call 911 without misdialing, hear the approaching sirens, possibly unlock your door and perhaps even talk to the paramedics and attending emergency room staff.

I think I’ll just drink my coffee in the morning....

What type of vehicle (your avatar) is that?

Porsche 718 Cayman

What type of vehicle (your avatar) is that?

Hi,

It is a Cayman...but it’s a 981 UCLA....2016....the last of the flat 6 cylinder naturally aspirated Caymans....the Cayman 718s are now 4 cylinder turbos. It was my retirement gift to me....I love it.

Realty...it’s not super practical as a two seater, but has a surprisingly decent amount of storage in the front and the back...golf clubs don’t fit anywhere but the front seat though. Love your Cayenne too...nice ride.

Have a great weekend...

TD

No, I’ll pass. I’ll take a little bit of Kratom if I’m having a bad migraine, but I’ll stay away from the overseas pharmaceuticals.
I'm in a business mastermind with a guy that does $20mm a year in kratom wholesale, it's my understanding that it's not pharmaceutical, more like a gray area supplement. I've even being seeing facebook ads for it lately.

Reactions: RealtyNole
I'm in a business mastermind with a guy that does $20mm a year in kratom wholesale, it's my understanding that it's not pharmaceutical, more like a gray area supplement. I've even being seeing facebook ads for it lately.

I could probably make several million a year from it, but I’m terrified of the DEA showing up one day to arrest me. We have a friend who lives in Indonesia and owns a very large farm.

Hi,

It is a Cayman...but it’s a 981 UCLA....2016....the last of the flat 6 cylinder naturally aspirated Caymans....the Cayman 718s are now 4 cylinder turbos. It was my retirement gift to me....I love it.

Realty...it’s not super practical as a two seater, but has a surprisingly decent amount of storage in the front and the back...golf clubs don’t fit anywhere but the front seat though. Love your Cayenne too...nice ride.

Have a great weekend...

TD

Every time that I go to Jim Ellis… I salivate over them.

Supplement my bottom. My husband came off years of Percocet with Kratom. Didn’t taper. Cold turkey. And hasn’t had an opioid in a very long time.

Every time that I go to Jim Ellis… I salivate over them.

It’s the 911’s little brother, but I’ve driven both and dare I say it’s a better handling car than big brother, simply due to the location of the motor...Porsche just will never put equal HP in the Cayman....but I like my body style more than a 911.

Test drive one....you won’t regret it. There is something that may be more practical in your line of work coming late 2019...early 2020...I saw the prototype at an event last Saturday....omg. The Taycan...Starting in the mid 70s with a pretty nice tax break and the other obvious benefits that come with a total electric vehicle.

Range on a charge-300 plus miles
15 minute charge-250 miles
600 HP
0-60 in 3.5 seconds
125 mph in 12 seconds

You’ll never be late to a showing. : )

5c4f7d642bdd7f50cd04bd84-1920-1440.jpg

It’s the 911’s little brother, but I’ve driven both and dare I say it’s a better handling car than big brother, simply due to the location of the motor...Porsche just will never put equal HP in the Cayman....but I like my body style more than a 911.

Test drive one....you won’t regret it. There is something that may be more practical in your line of work coming late 2019...early 2020...I saw the prototype at an event last Saturday....omg. The Taycan...Starting in the mid 70s with a pretty nice tax break and the other obvious benefits that come with a total electric vehicle.

Range on a charge-300 plus miles
15 minute charge-250 miles
600 HP
0-60 in 3.5 seconds
125 mph in 12 seconds

You’ll never be late to a showing. : )

5c4f7d642bdd7f50cd04bd84-1920-1440.jpg

I did test drive the Macan. I’m scared to test drive anything else… I’d probably end up pulling the trigger. My husband and I always joke that we’re going to blow through any inheritance we had for the kids!

I have an original Cayenne with barely 100,000 miles on it. And I have a 2015 that I will finish paying off this year. It has about 50,000 miles on it. A lot of Trips in it.

I’m always late to showings… all my clients know it and laugh about it. There’s no fixing it.

“Nootropics are drugs, supplements, and other substances that may improve cognitive function, particularly executive functions, memory, creativity, or motivation, in healthy individuals.”

I know several CEO’s who endorse them. But. The science seems to be a bit shaky. I take one, but maybe it’s the placebo effect.

Kratom imitates an opioid. My husband was in a very bad accident and they had him on a very high dosage of Percocet. If I took 1/4 of a pill it would have knocked me out all day.… they didn’t even slow him down. A very high tolerance. However, he wanted off them for various reasons. Our friend sent him some Kratom and he was able to stop the pain medication completely. My mother takes it for her arthritis instead of four different prescriptions. It’s very effective in pain management and mood enhancement. Of course, you can take too much and have a euphoric experience. We aren’t in to all that.

Red kratom is good for pain.

Green is good for energy (kratom is a cousin of coffee).

White.... I don’t really remember.

Hi,

Have a great weekend...

TD
My bad. I didn’t look closely enough.

I have been considering a 718 Boxster to replace my Z4. At heart, I am a mid-engined loyalist. I have done the rear-engined vs. mid-engined courses at the Porsche Experience a couple of times. The 911 is the classic in all ways, but I still prefer the feel of the mid-engined 718s. To repeat a popular thought among Porsche folks, the 718s seem to be hobbled by design to avoid outperforming the flagship.

My bad. I didn’t look closely enough.

I have been considering a 718 Boxster to replace my Z4. At heart, I am a mid-engined loyalist. I have done the rear-engined vs. mid-engined courses at the Porsche Experience a couple of times. The 911 is the classic in all ways, but I still prefer the feel of the mid-engined 718s. To repeat a popular thought among Porsche folks, the 718s seem to be hobbled by design to avoid outperforming the flagship.

Let me know what you decide...you’ll love it. I’ve seen a couple Boxster Spyders around lately...interesting look.

I did test drive the Macan. I’m scared to test drive anything else… I’d probably end up pulling the trigger. My husband and I always joke that we’re going to blow through any inheritance we had for the kids!

I have an original Cayenne with barely 100,000 miles on it. And I have a 2015 that I will finish paying off this year. It has about 50,000 miles on it. A lot of Trips in it.

I’m always late to showings… all my clients know it and laugh about it. There’s no fixing it.

They’re both just getting broken in....have a wonderful day. Chat soon.

If you're willing to go the pharmaceutical route you can get modafinil delivered to your house from India.
Personally, I would reconsider posting on a public website about illegally smuggling a controlled substance into the U.S.

Kratom is also problematic, legally. It’s banned in some places, e.g., Alabama, Tennessee, San Diego. The DEA is due to release a federal disposition in the very near future. In the mean time, I tend to avoid any substance for which there is minimal scientific support or understanding of its mechanism of effect.

Let me know what you decide...you’ll love it. I’ve seen a couple Boxster Spyders around lately...interesting look.
I’ve never been a fan of the spyder aesthetics. One of the best features of a Porsche is the iconic roofline, and the spyders muck around with that too much for my taste:

Personally, I would reconsider posting on a public website about illegally smuggling a controlled substance into the U.S.

Kratom is also problematic, legally. It’s banned in some places, e.g., Alabama, Tennessee, San Diego. The DEA is due to release a federal disposition in the very near future. In the mean time, I tend to avoid any substance for which there is minimal scientific support or understanding of its mechanism of effect.
That's fair. I edited my first post, lol.

I actually have a lot to add to the original topic since as an entrepreneur I've tried a lot of different things to increase my mental productivity.

I've tried 3 or 4 natural supplements and never felt any difference. If you find a natural one that works, let me know!

I talked my doctor into giving me adderal once, but he only gave me 30 pills and wouldn't refill it unless I went and had a full evaluation done. So I just dropped it.

@FSU_UCLA already gave the best advice in the thread, proper sleep, diet, exercise, stress reduction are by far your best options. I'd add to that and say you should minimize carbs, especially during your work week. I felt like I was on natural adderal when I followed a strict keto diet, but that's hard to maintain. I now just avoid carbs during the week, especially at lunch time. No crash after lunch goes a long way to being productive.

I supervise the ADHD and assessment clinic at UCLA, and in that capacity I end up talking about cognitive enhancement and medications and supplements way more than I would prefer. There are a lot of good cognitive and behavioral approaches to building concentration and focus, and there are essentially no effective chemical approaches.

Diet fads ebb and flow out of the discussion and the public consciousness fairly regularly. I remember my very first child case as an extern was particularly challenging because some quack had convinced the parents that high fructose corn syrup was causing their kid's ADHD symptoms, and they were obsessively monitoring and controlling his diet. It took almost a year to get them to chill out and adopt symptoms mitigation approaches that were actually effective.

Personally, I wouldn't focus on or worry about carbs or any other particular aspect of diet unless an identified medical issue associated with diet has been diagnosed.

That's fair. I edited my first post, lol.

I actually have a lot to add to the original topic since as an entrepreneur I've tried a lot of different things to increase my mental productivity.

I've tried 3 or 4 natural supplements and never felt any difference. If you find a natural one that works, let me know!

I talked my doctor into giving me adderal once, but he only gave me 30 pills and wouldn't refill it unless I went and had a full evaluation done. So I just dropped it.

@FSU_UCLA already gave the best advice in the thread, proper sleep, diet, exercise, stress reduction are by far your best options. I'd add to that and say you should minimize carbs, especially during your work week. I felt like I was on natural adderal when I followed a strict keto diet, but that's hard to maintain. I now just avoid carbs during the week, especially at lunch time. No crash after lunch goes a long way to being productive.

Yoga has had a tremendous upside in my ability to concentrate and focus. Processed sugar always makes me tired and irritable. Carbs.… I love my carbs.

I supervise the ADHD and assessment clinic at UCLA, and in that capacity I end up talking about cognitive enhancement and medications and supplements way more than I would prefer. There are a lot of good cognitive and behavioral approaches to building concentration and focus, and there are essentially no effective chemical approaches.

Diet fads ebb and flow out of the discussion and the public consciousness fairly regularly. I remember my very first child case as an extern was particularly challenging because some quack had convinced the parents that high fructose corn syrup was causing their kid's ADHD symptoms, and they were obsessively monitoring and controlling his diet. It took almost a year to get them to chill out and adopt symptoms mitigation approaches that were actually effective.

Personally, I wouldn't focus on or worry about carbs or any other particular aspect of diet unless an identified medical issue associated with diet has been diagnosed.
I have a family member whose family doctor decided they were ADHD and prescribed Vyvanse. It was NOT a good choice for this individual and it changed their behavior drastically - not for the better. It nearly took an intervention to get them off the drug, and months after to stop exhibiting the adverse behavior.

I have a family member whose family doctor decided they were ADHD and prescribed Vyvanse. It was NOT a good choice for this individual and it changed their behavior drastically - not for the better. It nearly took an intervention to get them off the drug, and months after to stop exhibiting the adverse behavior.
I am sorry to hear that, but I am not surprised. If you don’t mind sharing, what was the adverse behavior? I tend to view Vyvanse favorably relative to the other stimulant medications for ADHD. It has a remarkably clever mechanism for smoothing and maintaining its clinical effect and for reducing its potential for abuse/casual use.

I am sorry to hear that, but I am not surprised. If you don’t mind sharing, what was the adverse behavior? I tend to view Vyvanse favorably relative to the other stimulant medications for ADHD. It has a remarkably clever mechanism for smoothing and maintaining its clinical effect and for reducing its potential for abuse/casual use.
It's been three years so some of the specifics have faded from memory, but as the dose wore off the person tended to become difficult, agitated to some degree, and since it had dulled their appetite, low blood sugar seemed to become an issue.

Reactions: MagNoleA
It's been three years so some of the specifics have faded from memory, but as the dose wore off the person tended to become difficult, agitated to some degree, and since it had dulled their appetite, low blood sugar seemed to become an issue.
The stimulant crash is real, as is the appetite suppression. As my folks are starting their stimulant trials, I typically have them keep a food, water, and sleep diary to ensure that they are eating and sleeping enough to counteract those side effects. Vyvanse has arguably the gentlest onset and offset of the stimulus medications, but the effect can still be disruptive, especially in conjunction with increased productivity/fatigue during the day due to the direct effects of the medication.

Reactions: goldmom
You might try looking it up on ed and beneficial arch thingy on the inter web....Goggle it.
Prevagen? I tried that for a week or so, but all it did was make me weirder than I am already.
I do take Acetyl L-Carnitine HCI and Alpha Lipoic Acid 200 mg which is supposedly supportive of overall brain health. For all I know it could be nothing more than a placebo, but it seems to be okay. Of course I also take two daily probiotic gummies which are also loaded with B12, and I notice increased energy levels and a sense of well being.

Reactions: MagNoleA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT