ADVERTISEMENT

NYE/ New Year's Day Plans?

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
I'm going to bring my little girl to work on NYE day. I wanted to get some organizing, cleaning and paper shredding done. Figure she would have fun with the shredder then we'll go to Dave & Busters or the Children's Museum.

AFter that we are probably just going to enjoy some downtime. Probably not even make anything particularly exciting for dinner. The weather is supposed to be crappy - so good time to sit on the couch and watch movies and bowl games.

My wife is going out to dinner and play with her friends tonight. I told her if she makes any plans that she was going to do them alone (which she might be alright with).

Neighborhood get together....got out of hosting this year so good times (til about 12:30 when I will be going home)

My wife and I are deciding between Seattle (there's an ultra cheap flight), NOLA, the Keys, San Antonio or just staying in Tally. I didn't realize she had a four day weekend or I would have made plans.

My wife and I are deciding between Seattle (there's an ultra cheap flight), NOLA, the Keys, San Antonio or just staying in Tally. I didn't realize she had a four day weekend or I would have made plans.
Seattle is way too much flight time to make it worth your while for a 4-day weekend, IMHO. You spend literally all of one day and the better part of another in the air or at airports. Pass.

No rooms in NOLA. Sugar Bowl

Seattle is way too much flight time to make it worth your while for a 4-day weekend, IMHO. You spend literally all of one day and the better part of another in the air or at airports. Pass.

Valid point. I might end up doing nothing because I thought we only had the one Tues off and my wife is new at her job so she can't take off extra time yet.

No rooms in NOLA. Sugar Bowl

You'd think that but I just checked Kayak and there's plenty available Sun through Tues. Some places I usually stay like the Hotel Monteleone are double their normal price but others are normal weekend rates. And my backup for busy times the Holiday Inn in Slidell is only $99.

NYE is amateur hour and I am clearly an amateur. I will likely be in bed by 10:30 but will still have a hangover in the morning.

I'm not a fan of NYE. Never have been. It's forced revelry or something along those lines.
Then again this year has been somewhat of a downer holiday for me and I'm glad it's wrapping up. No bowl game for FSU, among other things going on in my life at the moment, have made it a dud!

Still debating as i work until 4:30 ,which means likely staying in and having pulled pork, and day tripping New Years Day to Boston or Portsmouth as it’ll be quiet.

Im surprised so many saying NYE is amateur hour, ive only found that to be true by Times Square.
IMHO St Pattys and Thanksgiving eve- you couldn’t pay me to go out on. They are a hot mess

Reactions: LesClaypool
Bimini with a group of friends...leave manana. NYE...maybe some fishing, pool/beach time then play some craps....oh...maybe a few beers too....

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
I'm not a fan of NYE. Never have been. It's forced revelry or something along those lines.
Then again this year has been somewhat of a downer holiday for me and I'm glad it's wrapping up. No bowl game for FSU, among other things going on in my life at the moment, have made it a dud!

Hope 2019 is better and brighter....in all aspects....

Reactions: goldmom
Probably staying home. Will have a glass of champagne with the wife and our 12 grapes at midnight. In bed at 1230. NYD we will have pork, black eyed peas, greens and corn bread while watching bowl games.

Probably staying home. Will have a glass of champagne with the wife and our 12 grapes at midnight. In bed at 1230. NYD we will have pork, black eyed peas, greens and corn bread while watching bowl games.

12 grapes is something I hadn't heard of until you posted it. Apparently it's a "new" tradition from the early 1900s that started in Spain and has slowly wound itself through the greater Hispanic community.

Further proof you can learn something new everyday.

Ha! As I expected, you get the ladies together and plans start to get hatched. I got a text last night asking if I minded her going on a rode trip to Hot Springs this weekend.

Will be in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl.

Wow! Those tickets are dirt cheap. $14? You would pay more for FSU versus Jacksonville State. I would definitely go if my wife wasn't working the next day.

And that really shows that the bowls are dead. Forget the Pinstripe and Independence Bowls having less fans than an average Miami home game, when a traditionally elite bowl like the Sugar Bowl with two programs that have more money than God (Tejas and Jawja) is basically giving away tickets.....Yeah the bowl system is dead. Time to bring on a 16 or 32 team playoff.

12 grapes is something I hadn't heard of until you posted it. Apparently it's a "new" tradition from the early 1900s that started in Spain and has slowly wound itself through the greater Hispanic community.

Further proof you can learn something new everyday.
I had never heard of it either. My wife is of Puerto Rican, Spanish and Cuban descent.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
So I axed Seattle until we have more time to spend (we went once about two or three years ago but I'd like to go back). And I axed Miami and the Keys as there was nothing really interesting going on in Miami and apparently the seas are not conducive to diving or fishing at the moment.

So that only left NOLA/Biloxi. NOLA has a lot of great local and regional bands going on Sat and Sun but the Dick Clark Rockin Eve is just Florida Georgia Line and Marren Morris which isn't exactly "Rockin" more like country Rollin and I HATE modern Nashville "country" music. So nothing much going on NYE that I would want to do. Biloxi has the Molly Ringwalds performing at the Beau for NYE but there aren't seats together unless you get Ticketmaster seats and I'm not overpaying for a glorified cover band.

So my usual backup plan of heading to NOLA and Biloxi is now scrubbed as well. I haven't looked to see if there's anything worth doing in Jax, Savannah or Otown, but it's looking likely that I may just stay in Tally. Which for anyone who knows me is basically torture* to sit around and not do anything.

*For reals. My only nightmare I have as an adult are what I call my "pudding dreams" because sometimes they are all white (vanilla) and sometimes all black (chocolate). Basically I'm trapped in a nothing void of only one color with no floor, no ceiling, only nothingness or one color. And while I "walk" there's no barriers or fences and I eventually wake myself up from agonized frustration of nothing to do or see.

New Zeland maybe?

Lol, well we ended up doing nothing this time. I wasn’t going to overpay for an 80s cover band and the biggest thing going on in New Orleans is country music despite being “Rockin” and on tv.

So instead we’re just sitting around Tally as we didn’t find anything in Otown or Jax worth the trip. Oh well, apparently I need to find a carpenter and a ceiling guy anyways. One of the second story toilets started leaking out of the blue and it dripped through the ceiling near the kitchen. Apparently it’s been slowly leaking for awhile as the particleboard was rotten so we need to take a big section of flooring and ceiling out and replace them. Our Homeshield covers the plumbing and new toilet but doesn’t cover “secondary rot” so that’s on me to fix. So there goes the $3-5k I would have spent on this trip anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT