ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic: Who is the richest person in Tallahassee?

Not really. I'd imagine that, at any given time, there are several hundred students at FSU whose families are far more wealthy than Jimbo was. I was in a relatively small fraternity in the early/mid 80s, and I know for sure that of the 50-60 brothers there were easily a dozen whose families were flat out wealthy (not talking, "dad got a job a couple of years ago & his salary went from a few hundred thou to a few million; talking "children of families who owned sports franchises, or were from prominent, "old money").

I would agree with that, but most of those people are not from Tallahassee.

I remember back in the early '70's driving back and forth between Tally and Key West, it took a long time to drive past Castro Farms on the way to Ocalla on 27.

Last edited:
The Overstreet property was donated by the Maclay, Fleischman, Mettler and Davenport Family. Those are the names I know of in that clan. There may be others, but not the Phipps.

Across Meridian Road is Elinor Klapp-Phipps park, extending to Lake Jackson.

Reactions: noleone99
I recall in the 70's they had an herb farm just north of Maclay Gardens. Legit herbs. Very unpretentious folks.
Also back in the 70’s, my older brother had a hand written note from one of the Phipps allowing him access onto some of their ground to harvest mushrooms for “research” purposes. That was a piece of paper which he closely guarded.

Also back in the 70’s, my older brother had a hand written note from one of the Phipps allowing him access onto some of their ground to harvest mushrooms for “research” purposes. That was a piece of paper which he closely guarded.

The Seminole Boosters' leadership award is the Godfrey Smith Award, named in honor of the one of the patriarchs of the banking Smith family from Tallahassee

I would agree with that, but most of those people are not from Tallahassee.

I realize that, but if there have been several hundred (probably more, really) every single year for the last 40 years, it would only take a couple a year staying to keep a coach out of the upper level of the list.

Pretty sure Carmichael is getting a divorce (or just did), so he may be moving from the home on Thomasville / Lake Hall.
Looks like it's on the market

92f47f670e24c4e474d4c39dd970814dl-m35xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

92f47f670e24c4e474d4c39dd970814dl-m20xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT