ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic: Who is the richest person in Tallahassee?

To think Jimbo wasn’t a top 50 richest person in tallahassee is the most insane thing I’ve ever heard.
Then you have not seen enough insane things. Jimbo was not in the top 50. There is a lot of difference between netting $3.5 M per year after taxes for a.few years and having long-time family wealth.

The Lewises were also bankers and walked around town in white bed sheets. Very eccentric folks but I believe they were very philanthropic as well.

Ridiculous that this thread has reached page 2 and no one has mentioned @Dot Com. Dude lives like a Saudi prince. I think he runs this website to throw people off the scent.

Jimbo was up there.
I want to know who owns this behemoth in golden eagle

ISatcmvtgqpr7u0000000000.jpg

ISug8yug8a9x7u0000000000.jpg

ISe44au30us28u0000000000.jpg

ISibwrdh1m90gu0000000000.jpg

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2163-Golden-Eagle-Dr-W-Tallahassee-FL-32312/69822828_zpid/

I have a friend that is a real estate agent. I sent him this house and he said Ricky Carmichael owns this house. He is the motorcross racer that is from Tallahassee.

He's living the
In 2000, before the disastrous merger CNN /Time Warner he was worth an estimated $8 billion and almost took his own life over the losses in stock value... true story.
He's living the dream now. Loosing 6 billion had to hurt though!

Reactions: pauldNole
Reactions: noleone99
I work at Maclay gardens, the park was about 300 acres until the state acquired the Overstreet property from Phipps, over 800 PRIME acres. That was 1994 and not sure the price tag but I’m sure it wasn’t cheap. There are nesting Bald Eagles on Lake Overstreet. It’s beautiful out there.

The Overstreet property was donated by the Maclay, Fleischman, Mettler and Davenport Family. Those are the names I know of in that clan. There may be others, but not the Phipps.

The Overstreet property was donated by the Maclay, Fleischman, Mettler and Davenport Family. Those are the names I know of in that clan. There may be others, but not the Phipps.
Not accurate, the original 300 acres (give or take) which included the 28 acre garden was donated by Louise Fleishman Maclay in 1953. The Overstreet property was purchased and Phipps certainly involved. I’ll get better details when I’m back at work but Overstreet was not donated at all. Click this link and read intro.

https://floridadep.gov/sites/default/files/ABMGSP_Approved Plan_withmaps_20140310_dc.pdf

Any truth to the rumor that you are trying to replace Renegade with a camel? Or was that just Ira trying to generate clicks? Those Texas oil guys licking Fisher’s boots are like paupers compared to Mohammad Dot.com.
Whoa dude, Dot may be a Shiek or a Sultan, but he is not a Mohammad!

So back to the OP, who is the richest Tallahasseeite?
As has been stated by several, the Phipps family and it’s not even close. Not only are they far and away the wealthiest family in Tally, they are one of the wealthiest families in the US. You’ll find them on top 50 lists with a little google research. My grandfather (who lived his life in Tally dating back to the early 1900’s) used to tell the story that you could fly from Miami to NYC and never lose sight of Mr. Phipps land.

I read over
How much land does ted own? I went to his web site to see he is the second largest land owner in the USA.
A reported 2 million acres in US and Argentina. I know he's a crazy lib but he loves the outdoors and open spaces. He works hard on restoring and improving what he has and shares it with others.
I have a hunting lease in Wacissa near his place and saw him one day in Bolins Store. Getting up there in age. A friend who is a Timber Track Real Estate guy said he had an appointment with him some years ago when his office was in Atlanta. This guy told me you would have to go through 3 offices to get to him there but here he was one day by himself in Bolins Store.

As has been stated by several, the Phipps family and it’s not even close. Not only are they far and away the wealthiest family in Tally, they are one of the wealthiest families in the US. You’ll find them on top 50 lists with a little google research. My grandfather (who lived his life in Tally dating back to the early 1900’s) used to tell the story that you could fly from Miami to NYC and never lose sight of Mr. Phipps land.
Good read.

http://www.tallahasseemagazine.com/...re-Both-Concerns-of-the-John-H-Phipps-Family/

Reactions: billanole
From what I'm told he lives there full time now and keeps his G5 at Tally International. He has 40,000 acres mostly in Caps on both the north and south sides of 27/19 as you go south on 19/27 the entrance to his place has a sign that reads the Plantation. He does not hunt deer but is a big bird hunter. Go on google earth and you can see how he has developed his property for bird hunting as well as his big, big house and gardens. Beautiful rolling hills, very nice place!
would be hard to believe but possible .. they have done million and million of dollar in renovation the last 5 year at the plantation

would be hard to believe but possible .. they have done million and million of dollar in renovation the last 5 year at the plantation
I was told that but I read an article that said he spends more time there than anywhere else. So that doesn't sound like it's full time. He did say in the article that loves the climate and it's a good place to grow old.

Him and Jane used to come into Bennigans back in the day.
The one on Apalachee Pkwy right down the street from the Moon? That’s the only one I knew of. I used to work there. Started off on pantry, moved to the front and worked as a host, then head host, then made the “big bucks” as a server. Used to bank after FSU football games. Got fired for drinking on the job as I was training to bartend...good times, missed that place.

This thread is indicative of an interesting phenomenon that I sometimes see on Warchant and other places as well where Tallahassee is perceived as some tiny little city like Live Oak or Suwannee or Clewiston with a university in it. Tallahassee certainly isn't a big metropolis like Tampa or Miami but it is a vibrant, mid sized town with quite a bit going on outside of FSU.
Of all the small hole-in-the-wall towns in Florida dude said Clewiston. Almost spit my drink out when I saw that. Shout out to my hometown! Thanks for the mention!

To give you an idea of their circles, John Mettler exchanged property in Texas with his friend John D. Rockefeller for property in Wyoming. Texas property had oil....but the Wyoming property had a really good view of the Grand Tetons!

This house was originally designed and owned by Andy Haggard, a huge Seminole fan, who lives in Miami. Andy sold the house.

Reactions: David Slaton
There are not several people in Tallahassee worth over 100 million.

Tallahassee has quiet wealth. You have a number of families who inherited a lot of land (Plantations) and wealth but you would never know it. They'd tell you they are land poor. They prefer duck boots and camo rather than Armani and pickup trucks to sports cars.
It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple of dozen families with that kind of net worth if you consider Quincy Coca Cola money and the plantation owners up into Thomasville Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT