ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic: Who is the richest person in Tallahassee?

Not accurate, the original 300 acres (give or take) which included the 28 acre garden was donated by Louise Fleishman Maclay in 1953. The Overstreet property was purchased and Phipps certainly involved. I’ll get better details when I’m back at work but Overstreet was not donated at all. Click this link and read intro.

https://floridadep.gov/sites/default/files/ABMGSP_Approved Plan_withmaps_20140310_dc.pdf

I'm friends with one of the family members (Peter Metler), a longtime Golden Chief who has endowed a scholarship in his mother's name. She was a Fleishman who married John Metler. They still own a very valuable tract of land between Miccosukee Road and Centerville Road east of Fleishman Road but at one time their holdings extended all the way to Meridian and included what is now Killearn Estates. They also owned another very big tract of land up by Lake Miccosukee that they sold years ago.

There are more than a few families from the Northeast who found Thomasville and Tallahassee generations ago and now live here year round.

I remember years ago I was in Omaha at the College World Series and I was picking up a couple of bar tabs for beers for a Seminole fan who had become my new best friend. He was dressed in camo and duck boots and I enjoyed his conversation about FSU sports. As I was picking up a tab for about third night, a mutual friend said, "You know he can afford to pick up a tab now and then. He's the richest person you will probably ever meet."

Whether its Coca Cola, Fleishman Yeast, Interwoven Sock, Maybelline, or some other major corporation, there are dozens of good folks who found our beloved Seven Hills pleasing and settled here. They and their children have been active participants in building our community and Florida State University.

Last edited:
Tallahassee has quiet wealth. You have a number of families who inherited a lot of land (Plantations) and wealth but you would never know it. They'd tell you they are land poor. They prefer duck boots and camo rather than Armani and pickup trucks to sports cars.
It wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple of dozen families with that kind of net worth if you consider Quincy Coca Cola money and the plantation owners up into Thomasville Georgia.

So few people are aware of the Coca Cola/Quincy connection. I visited with one of that family this fall in the Varsity Club and he was definitely a character. A retired judge. Old money going back to their great grandfather being a friend of Dr. Asa Candler and an early financial backer. A few of them played ball at FSU in the 60's.

The one on Apalachee Pkwy right down the street from the Moon? That’s the only one I knew of. I used to work there. Started off on pantry, moved to the front and worked as a host, then head host, then made the “big bucks” as a server. Used to bank after FSU football games. Got fired for drinking on the job as I was training to bartend...good times, missed that place.

What years? I was therein the late 80’s

The Lewises were also bankers and walked around town in white bed sheets. Very eccentric folks but I believe they were very philanthropic as well.
--
The Lewises are especially fond of Halloween.

Last edited:
The Bender's are up there too....oh wait, that was a dream, all I inherit is sleep apnea and diverticulitis from dad's side and early hair loss from mom's side;)

Reactions: squiffynole
I'm friends with one of the family members (Peter Metler), a longtime Golden Chief who has endowed a scholarship in his mother's name. She was a Fleishman who married John Metler. They still own a very valuable tract of land between Miccosukee Road and Centerville Road east of Fleishman Road but at one time their holdings extended all the way to Meridian and included what is now Killearn Estates. They also owned another very big tract of land up by Lake Miccosukee that they sold years ago.

There are more than a few families from the Northeast who found Thomasville and Tallahassee generations ago and now live here year round.

I remember years ago I was in Omaha at the College World Series and I was picking up a couple of bar tabs for beers for a Seminole fan who had become my new best friend. He was dressed in camo and duck boots and I enjoyed his conversation about FSU sports. As I was picking up a tab for about third night, a mutual friend said, "You know he can afford to pick up a tab now and then. He's the richest person you will probably ever meet."

Whether its Coca Cola, Fleishman Yeast, Interwoven Sock, Maybelline, or some other major corporation, there are dozens of good folks who found our beloved Seven Hills pleasing and settled here. They and their children have been active participants in building our community and Florida State University.
Good stuff Jerry. I know Alfred B. Maclay and his wife Louise (Fleishman) fell in love with Tallahassee in the early 1900’s. They would travel to the area from Milbrook NY to visit Mrs. Maclay’s brothers, Charles and Udo. The brothers owned what was then called Waverly and Welaunee plantation. I think they were uncles of J.W. Mettler from what I just read. A lot of the plantations at the time were for quail hunting. Mr. Maclay purchased his land and created his beautiful garden which is on the National Historic Register. The Maclay house (open January through April) was actually the hunting lodge for the quail plantation when he purchased it. “Killearn” is named after the village where his great-grandfather was born in Scotland. He fell in love with our beautiful live oaks and huge pine trees, which I’ve had my fair share of chainsaw operation on after Hermine and Irma.

This thread is fking stupid and embarrassing.
Don’t read, thx.

Reactions: pauldNole
So few people are aware of the Coca Cola/Quincy connection. I visited with one of that family this fall in the Varsity Club and he was definitely a character. A retired judge. Old money going back to their great grandfather being a friend of Dr. Asa Candler and an early financial backer. A few of them played ball at FSU in the 60's.

Maybe transplants, but the locals know all about the Coke / Quincy connection.

This thread is fking stupid and embarrassing.
^^^ Broke.

To think Jimbo wasn’t a top 50 richest person in tallahassee is the most insane thing I’ve ever heard.

Not really. I'd imagine that, at any given time, there are several hundred students at FSU whose families are far more wealthy than Jimbo was. I was in a relatively small fraternity in the early/mid 80s, and I know for sure that of the 50-60 brothers there were easily a dozen whose families were flat out wealthy (not talking, "dad got a job a couple of years ago & his salary went from a few hundred thou to a few million; talking "children of families who owned sports franchises, or were from prominent, "old money").

Ted turner has property just outside of tally

Exactly. If you count the greater “metro” area of Tallahassee it’s clearly Ted Turner. If you only count the city limits it’s probably Governor Skeletor.

Surprisingly, St. John's County is the wealthiest County in Florida. MANY folks there who want to fly under the radar by avoiding "flashy" South Florida. Ponte Vedra is home to most of them.

Reactions: funksouljon
Pretty sure Carmichael is getting a divorce (or just did), so he may be moving from the home on Thomasville / Lake Hall.

He's building a new car wash on cap cirlce - dude loves car washes.

And speaking of local legends, saw Odell this morning at the Petro. He was looking spiffy in his Raptor.

Last edited:
Reactions: noleone99
Of all the small hole-in-the-wall towns in Florida dude said Clewiston. Almost spit my drink out when I saw that. Shout out to my hometown! Thanks for the mention!

Don't get me wrong, I like Clewiston. We stay at Roland Martins when we pass through the Okeechobee Waterway on our boat. Heck, I live in Wakulla, I'm a small town guy. I think that is what makes me laugh when people talk about how small Tallahassee is, they don't even know what a small town really is.

And for what it is worth, I doubt Jimbo would be the richest guy in Clewiston either.

Last edited:
Reactions: swissnupe
Don't get me wrong, I like Clewiston. We stay at Roland Martins when we pass through the Okeechobee Waterway on our boat. Heck, I live in Wakulla, I'm a small town guy. I think that is what makes me laugh when people talk about how small Tallahassee is, they don't even know.

And for what it is worth, I doubt Jimbo would be the richest guy in Clewiston either.

Size is relative. Tallahassee would be the fourth biggest city in New Zealand and the twelfth biggest in Australia. Conversely, Miami would barely make the top 200 (it looks like it would be 198th) cities in China and there are 24 Chinese cities with ten times or more the population of Miami.

Don't think I've seen DeVoe Moore listed here. That dude has some moolah.

Fun topic. There are in fact a large contingent of wealthy 100 million plus folks who live, at least part of the time, in Tallahassee. I think partly this is the fact this region of North Leon and Jefferson Counties and Thomas County had a lot of Northern money infused in it due to the hunting ranches in late 1800s early 1900s. Some of those bloodlines never left. Like serious money bloodlines.

And put me down as the Phipps being great down to earth people who you would never know are that wealthy.

I may have missed it but one name not dropped is the owner of Horseshoe Plantation, on the south shore of Lake Iamonia.

It was owned by Frederic Hamilton up until his death in September 2016 and still owned by family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Plantation

As far as his worth? Dude gave away 100 million dollars in art...

https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/...14/02/denver-art-museum-to-keep-hamilton.html

Nature as Muse: Impressionist Landscapes from the Frederic C. Hamilton Collection and the Denver Art Museum," which includes a number of works never before on public display, will re-open Feb. 12 and stay on display through March 23, the DAM announced late Tuesday.

Many of the works featured in "Nature as Muse" are being donated by Hamilton to the museum, including works by Vincent van Gogh, Claude Monet, Paul Cézanne, Edouard Manet, Auguste Renoir, Camille Pissarro, Alfred Sisley and Eugène Boudin. At an estimated $100 million, it's the largest gift of art to the DAM in its history.

Last edited:
Reactions: noleone99
Surprisingly, St. John's County is the wealthiest County in Florida. MANY folks there who want to fly under the radar by avoiding "flashy" South Florida. Ponte Vedra is home to most of them.

Not sure about that. Wiki stole my PB picture (from Warchant nonetheless) and didn't even give me credit. :-(

1. Palm Beach
palm-beach-fl-0.jpg

Source: Wikipedia
Population: 8,501
Median Income: $115,050
Unemployment Rate: 2.3%
Poverty Rate: 5.4%
The Town of Palm Beach is an incorporated town in Palm Beach County, Florida, United States. The Intracoastal Waterway separates it from the neighboring cities of West Palm Beach and Lake Worth. In 2000, Palm Beach had a year-round population of 10,468, with an estimated seasonal population of 30,000.

How did we come up with these mega wealthy cities? We analyzed Census data from the 2012-2016 American Community Survey for the 217 places in Florida with more than 5,000 people.

At the end of the day, here’s the set of the 10 richest places in Florida for 2018:

1. Palm Beach (Photos)
  2. Belle Isle
  3. Pinecrest (Photos)
  4. Coral Gables (Photos)
  5. Key Biscayne (Photos)
  6. Surfside (Photos)
  7. Gulf Breeze (Photos)
  8. Parkland
  9. Longboat Key (Photos)
  10. Palm Beach Gardens
For more on how we calculated the top ten, read on or skip to the end for the full list of the richest cities in Florida.

https://www.homesnacks.net/richest-places-in-florida-126061/

Reactions: pauldNole
I'm referring to counties rather than specific cities so there may be a difference there.
Ponte Vedra is not a city, but rather a municipal services district-

I think we are in agreement that there are some pretty rich folk in our state -

Reactions: noleclone2
If it’s the one right there on Park Ave I’m pretty sure he’s the owner of cap city bank and owns a lot of land. And I’ve also heard that fondville Foote and messer. I think fondville was in on that tobacco lawsuit
Yep off Park Ave its the Smiths, played baseball with their son. Their family started Capital City bank and own (all?) the land the Governors Square Mall is on and some surrounding. Their parents lived off Magnolia and just sold the land in the past couple years because thats where the new WhichWich/McDs/Blaze/MissionBBQ shopping center is. Guessing they're still landowners collecting rent from all these places.

Fonvielle is rich but not Phipps or "old money" rich. He has a nice plot of land off Baum rd where he takes hunting parties and keeps his toys in a big warehouse.

I read over

A reported 2 million acres in US and Argentina. I know he's a crazy lib but he loves the outdoors and open spaces. He works hard on restoring and improving what he has and shares it with others.
I have a hunting lease in Wacissa near his place and saw him one day in Bolins Store. Getting up there in age. A friend who is a Timber Track Real Estate guy said he had an appointment with him some years ago when his office was in Atlanta. This guy told me you would have to go through 3 offices to get to him there but here he was one day by himself in Bolins Store.

Crazy Lib is right. He has publicly committed giving away his entire fortune to the UN, wow!

I read over

A reported 2 million acres in US and Argentina. I know he's a crazy lib but he loves the outdoors and open spaces. He works hard on restoring and improving what he has and shares it with others.
I have a hunting lease in Wacissa near his place and saw him one day in Bolins Store. Getting up there in age. A friend who is a Timber Track Real Estate guy said he had an appointment with him some years ago when his office was in Atlanta. This guy told me you would have to go through 3 offices to get to him there but here he was one day by himself in Bolins Store.

I made a sales call to his office/condo in ATL, it was above the Ted's Montana Grill on Lucky Street in downtown. Pretty nice digs.

I think Stan Kroenke may have passed him or he's very getting close anyway.

Also, Stan Kroenke should die of guanira and rot in hell.

Kroenke is a major owner of working ranches, owning a total of 848,631 acres. The Land Report magazine ranked him as the United States' ninth-largest landowner in 2015.[

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT