ADVERTISEMENT

Oil Change/Tire Rotation at dealership

JLORYFSU!

Freshman
Apr 6, 2002
I bought a pre-owned Buick Enclave SUV from a Cadillac Dealership about 3 months ago. I got a fair price and appreciated that they weren't high pressure and didn't play games. At the time I bought, they set up a 3 month maintenance appt to change oil and rotate my tires. I was also experiencing a small leak in my left rear tire and wanted them to check it out, especially because I bought a tire damage warranty from them.

I arrived at the dealership at 8:50 AM and my appt was 9 AM. The customer service rep was very friendly. He is a gator grad and saw my FSU tag and we gave each other some good natured ribbing. I went into the waiting lounge area and was in there for about 90 minutes when the rep came out and told me I had a nail in my tire and they could patch it for $40. I told him I paid for 5 yr coverage on the tires and nails and he said they would replace the tire completely so that was good. He told me it shouldn't be long and I'd be on my way.

About 11:30 I got a bit restless as I had a 12:30 lunch date back near where I live which is 30 mins from the dealer. I went out and asked him how much longer and he said he'd get on the workers to get me out of there. At noon my car was ready and the rep was very apologetic about the delay. He said he was going to give me a $25 discount on the oil change and rotation and there was no fee for the tire or labor on it since I bought the coverage.

So at this point, I am pretty happy even though I've been at the dealer for over three hours....figured I got a new tire and dude is giving me $25 off so all is good......until I got the bill......it was $140-$25......$115......I ask him if he mistakenly charged me for the tire.....he says Nope....the tire and everything with it (labor, mounting, balancing) are all free.....So I ask him how did they come up with $115 and that was with $25 so what was the charge of $140 for? He says the oil change and tire rotation......I say that must be some great oil.....he laughs and says no that's a pretty std fee......I told him that I've owned quite a few cars and have probably had over 100 oil changes and lots of tire rotations and I've never paid half of that much.....he is nice and apologetic and says he is sorry that's what they charge.

I got a survey today.....told them the service rep Brian is a nice guy.....give him a pat on the back from me and tell him Go Noles......I tell them to give the person who does the pricing and the mechanics who took 3 hrs to change the oil and a tire a big kick in the nuts from me.

Never have owned a Cadillac or had a car serviced at their dealership....is this normal? Does Lexus charge that too?BMW? Just curious.....I've had Toyota's and Ford's and $40-50 is pretty standard for that service.

Oh well, live and learn......in my younger years I'd have raised hell.....I just wanted to get out of there.....never to return.....unless I have tire issues.

"At the time I bought, they set up a 3 month maintenanceappt to change oil and rotate my tires."

Why did you feel obligated to do this? Also, every 3 mos is probably unnecessary anyway. Why not just take it to jiffy Lube or a similar quick lube shop?

"At the time I bought, they set up a 3 month maintenanceappt to change oil and rotate my tires."

Why did you feel obligated to do this? Also, every 3 mos is probably unnecessary anyway. Why not just take it to jiffy Lube or a similar quick lube shop?
I didn't feel obligated....but I figured since I had the small leak in the tire and had paid for that coverage I might as well get it checked and have the oil and tire job done.....expected it to be more than Jiffy Lube.....thought maybe $60 instead of say $30 at Jiffy Lube.....didn't have a problem with that since I was curious about tire and knew I paid for that so might as well take advantage of it.....my error was not asking what the cost was for oil change and rotation......that blew my mind.....my question is.....is this std for a Cadillac dealer?

Lord that's an expensive oil change. The most expensive oil change I've had was for a VW Passat. As with anything VW, it's a huge pita to get at everything so it takes 3x as long to change as any other car ever made. They also have sludge issues, so you have to use the high dollar synthetic oil. Even with all that, it was only 1/2 what you were charged.

I know it doesn't do you any good but up here I take my vehicles to a dealership for their oc. I pay $20 and that includes free tire rotation and a car wash.I think it's $25 for my SUV but $20 for the cars and that is using synthetic blend oil as well. Tire Discounters fixes tires for free(if there are any down there).
I'd say you got severely jobbed. You really should have asked what the price was going to be 1st.

I'm jaded to where I'm automatically suspicious when a business does not post a price list, that business leaves consumers open to abuse. The automotive and medical fields are two of the worst.

Reactions: YogiNole
They call it the stealership for a reason. Find a reputable third party shop (not a Jiffy Lube, unless you want your car ruined). I pay about $70 for a synthetic oil change on my Acura.

Since you question has not really been answered.....I cannot speak to cadillacs per se, but yes, Mercedes and BMW charge close to if not over $100 for an oil change if memory serves me well. One of the reasons that once I got out of that relationship I swore that I would never own or be tied to a luxury car again.

That's a dealership for you. Unless it's covered under warranty, a recall or a brand-specific issue, I shy away from dealerships.

A friend of mine used to sell cars at one of the local Coggin dealerships. He claims the dealer's margin on cars isn't all that high so they make up for it in other areas like service and selling warranties.

Reactions: dmm5157
Avoid the dealers. That is an outrageous price and a ridiculously long wait for it, too!

Dealer for oil change is really no better than the $30 oil change at Jiffy Lube.

As for the part about Buicks, they're still GM and really not much above basic Chevy. No real difference between Enclave and Chevy Traverse. Just because it's a Buick does not mean you pay Mercedes prices, you got hosed on that price. Shouldn't have been any more than $50 to start with. Bad dealership service department, I'd leave a detailed review on Yelp and their Google business page to warn others to steer clear. That 3 month service appointment was a bait and switch.

That is the stealership for you. They are usually overpriced but over $100 for oil change and rotation does seem excessive.

I do take my Acura to the dealership and they do the oil change for around $40 with a wash and vacuum. They get me in and out fairly fast so not really that bad of a deal. Bought set of tires from Discount Tires so I let them handle the tire rotations since they do that for free.

I'm still scratching my head at how they can actually sell people on $100 for an oil change and a tire rotation. Tire Kingdom will change your oil and rotate your tires for 25 bucks.

Reactions: dmm5157
I always take my car to the Ford dealership, but I know the price ($39.95) and they are good about not trying to BS me on things. I also ran into a repair where I had to replace the Brake Control Module (rare it goes out I was told) and it was quoted ($1,500). The person in the service department talked to the Manager and they said since I had taken care of my car well and they had done all of my service they were able to get it covered under warranty even though my car hasn't been for about a year now.

Now I know most dealerships probably don't work that way, but it was nice to see them go to bat for me and reward me for my loyalty to them over the last 5 years.

I'm still scratching my head at how they can actually sell people on $100 for an oil change and a tire rotation. Tire Kingdom will change your oil and rotate your tires for 25 bucks.
My grandparents drove Buicks exclusively and always took them to the dealership for service.
But that was a long time ago.

Two weeks ago, 2015 Ford F250 diesel to the dealership for state inspection, rotate tires and oil change. $171. Keep in mind the F250 takes 13 quarts of oil.

When I take my Wife's Mercedes in for service, to the dealership, because no where else will work on it....bend over and get ready for the plow, I'm not getting out of there for under $500. Holy shit that car is expensive to service.

When I take my Wife's Mercedes in for service, to the dealership, because no where else will work on it....bend over and get ready for the plow, I'm not getting out of there for under $500. Holy shit that car is expensive to service.

Mercedes, Porsche and BMW all have extremely high cost of ownership.

I know it doesn't do you any good but up here I take my vehicles to a dealership for their oc. I pay $20 and that includes free tire rotation and a car wash.I think it's $25 for my SUV but $20 for the cars and that is using synthetic blend oil as well. Tire Discounters fixes tires for free(if there are any down there).
I'd say you got severely jobbed. You really should have asked what the price was going to be 1st.
No doubt I got jobbed and you are 100% correct I should have asked the price upfront. Definitely effed up there and you live and learn. I expected them to mark it up.....really expected $60-70 which would have been double what a quick lube type place charges. I would be ok with that since I wanted to get the tire leak checked out and had paid for that coverage.

Just shocked at the $140 price.....when dude told me I was getting $25 off, I was expected bill to be $25-40....

Only time I will go back is if I have a tire issue that I have coverage for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT