PGSF FedEx Cup Week 22 The BMW Championship

NoleinATL

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2006
  • JustinThomasTrophyClean-1268-KK.jpg

HIGHLIGHTS
    Justin Thomas' shot trails at BMW Championship
The top 70 in the FedExCup standings head to Olympia Fields Country Club for the penultimate event of the FedExCup Playoffs.

As of Saturday, the field will feature 69 of the TOUR’s top 70 players, including two-time FedExCup champions Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy.

Those on the outside looking in will jockey for their spot in the BMW Championship this weekend in THE NORTHERN TRUST at TPC Boston.

FIELD NOTES: Woods has committed to the BMW Championship as he looks to make another run at the FedExCup. He is a five-time winner of the BMW Championship, including twice in the FedExCup era. He went on to win the Cup both times that he won the BMW (2007, ’09)… The PGA TOUR’s latest member of the ‘59’ club, Scottie Scheffler, will make his debut at the BMW Championship. Scheffler competed at Olympia Fields in the 2012 Junior Ryder Cup… Dustin Johnson – who nearly shot 59 the same day as Scheffler but ended with a 60 – is also a two-time winner at the BMW Championship. He’s looking for more magic this week as he takes a run at his first FedExCup… Justin Thomas leads the FedExCup standings (as of Aug. 22) and not only will defend his BMW Championship title, but is gunning for his second FedExCup in four seasons… Other past BMW Championship winners who will be at Olympia Fields include Marc Leishman (2017), Jason Day (2015), Billy Horschel (2014), and McIlroy (2012)… Justin Rose finished T5 in the 2003 U.S. Open hosted at Olympia Fields, but save for a magical weekend at THE NORTHERN TRUST, he’ll fall short of earning a spot to the BMW Championship.

FEDEXCUP: Winner receives 1,500 FedExCup points.

COURSE: Olympia Fields Country Club (North Course), par-70, 7,366 yards. Located about 35 minutes from Chicago, this 36-hole facility has a long history. It hosted the Western Open five times, and is a storied major championship venue. Most recently on the men’s side it hosted the 2003 U.S. Open (won by past FedExCup champion Jim Furyk) while the KPMG Women’s PGA Championship came to the club in 2017 (Danielle Kang was the winner). Established in 1915, the North Course was designed by Willie Park Jr. It will play as a brute to the best golfers in the world with one par-3 longer than 250 yards and two par-5’s (including the opening hole) playing longer than 600 yards.

STORYLINES: The BMW Championship marks the final opportunity to earn a spot in the 30-man Playoffs finale at East Lake. This is the second year that the No. 1 seed in the FedExCup standings will start the TOUR Championship at 10 under par and with a two-shot lead before the tournament starts. That No. 1 seed will be determined at the conclusion of the BMW Championship … Xinjun Zhang, who missed the cut at THE NORTHERN TRUST, will wait to see his fate. He came into the week on the bubble for the BMW Championship, ranked 70th in the FedExCup standings.

72-HOLE RECORD: 261, Marc Leishman (2017). *At Olympia Fields – 272, Jim Furyk (2003)

18-HOLE RECORD: 59, Jim Furyk, (2nd round, 2013) *At Olympia Fields – 63, Vijay Singh (2nd round, 2003)

LAST TIME: Justin Thomas captured his 10th PGA TOUR title at the 2019 BMW Championship, contested at Medinah Country Club. A six-shot lead early Sunday was reduced to just two as Thomas made the turn, but a birdie on the 72nd hole put a bow on a three-shot victory over Patrick Cantlay. Thomas came into Sunday after firing a tournament-low 61 in the third round and headed into the TOUR Championship as tops in the FedExCup standings. Hideki Matsuyama finished third at 20 under, but still five shots back of Thomas’ 25-under winning total. Tony Finau, Jon Rahm, and past FedExCup champion Brandt Snedeker rounded out the top five.

Congratulations again to last weeks winner @fsu67810

@Nolerball maintains his season lead with one week left in regular season.

RMS0wb1.png

Good luck to everyone this week

Berger
Rahm
Sheffler
Cantlay in and Simpson out after WD

Last edited:
Reactions: Nolerball
Berger
Simpson
Thomas
DJ

I thought about using the same 4 as last week. However, Morikawa missing the cut last week isn't giving me much confidence in him. So, this week I'm sure he will come out and finish top 5.

After playing consecutive weeks? I would hate to see Webb have to report to an actual job where he would actually have to work more than 2 weeks in a row. Imagine if after 2 weeks Cal Ripken Jr. decided to take a week off, instead of essentially playing for 16+ years with even a DAY off.

Well, let's replace Simpson with Morikawa.

Morikawa
DJ
Thomas
Berger

Yeah, I watched that yesterday...impressive, most impressive...
character0170.gif
Watched this afternoon. Phil is playing under control. He knows he’s the best guy out there. I thought he missed some opportunities in the last few years to play courses that were a little shorter and may have fit his game better. Valspar is a perfect example. There are trees but not much rough to speak of. Hope he plays more Champions Tour events. Hope Tiger does too. ( When he gets there.)

@NoleinATL Please replace Dahmen with Patrick Cantlay...Thanks.

Also, it just hit me that the U.S. Open & the Masters won't be part of our competition. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: NoleinATL
Dang - that's like the '27 Yankees...

if JT and Morikawa don't play better, I have to wonder if my grouping is more like the '62 Mets..

One aspect that concerned me about taking Thomas is in the same group with Daniel and Rahm. That means three picks in the same group. Often when it is two in the same group, it has too many times not worked out well. I can only guess what three of four picks in the same playing group would yield.

One aspect that concerned me about taking Thomas is in the same group with Daniel and Rahm. That means three picks in the same group. Often when it is two in the same group, it has too many times not worked out well. I can only guess what three of four picks in the same playing group would yield.

Yeah, I just noticed my guys are paired up as well - JT & Berger and English & Collin. At least it won't be so scattered in tracking them.

It's still early of course, but Olympia Fields is just a little more difficult than Medinah.

Seems like a Major lay-out and not that mini-golf romp from last week...sorry, but when my wife comments on the scoring as we watch highlights or replays in the evening and wonders about the '30 under' final score from last week, something must be different, eh?

Seems like a Major lay-out and not that mini-golf romp from last week...sorry, but when my wife comments on the scoring as we watch highlights or replays in the evening and wonders about the '30 under' final score from last week, something must be different, eh?
This is like a particularly difficult major lay-out! The USGA will be hard pressed to set up Winged Foot to be this tough.

This is like a particularly difficult major lay-out! The USGA will be hard pressed to set up Winged Foot to be this tough.

Though it seemed like after JT snuck in there with Ti-ger for a round before the NT, that his comments were that it (WF) was challenging and a brutal lay-out or set up. I am sure it will lead to some above par scores from the best in the field. Maybe the guys who are more versed than me can comment on what Winged Foot is like...the only winged-foot I am familiar with is the FTD logo. :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT