ADVERTISEMENT

Po Boys on Pensacola St.

Gonolz

Veteran Seminole Insider
Aug 6, 2002
Indian Rocks Beach
When did this shut down? Anyone been to the place that replaced it?

On a side note, the former owner of Po Boys was recently arrested for sales tax evasion. The former owner of Tucker Duke's was recently arrested for sales tax evasion for the second time. What is it about that College Ave location and taxes? Employees too stoned to remember to do it?

http://www.wtxl.com/news/crime_watch/former-po-boys-owner-arrested-for-not-paying-taxes/article_b1bd7196-f562-11e3-a026-001a4bcf6878.html\

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...t-kitchen-star-arrested-tax-charges/87472534/

UOTE="Gonolz, post: 2257979, memberw8"]When did this shut down? Anyone been to the place that replaced it?

On a side note, the former owner of Po Boys was recently arrested for sales tax evasion. The former owner of Tucker Duke's was recently arrested for sales tax evasion for the second time. What is it about that College Ave location and taxes? Employees too stoned to remember to do it?

http://www.wtxl.com/news/crime_watch/former-po-boys-owner-arrested-for-not-paying-taxes/article_b1bd7196-f562-11e3-a026-001a4bcf6878.html\

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...t-kitchen-star-arrested-tax-charges/87472534/[/QUOTE]

I didn't even notice as I stopped going to Po Boys about 10 years ago after they severely cut into their menu and the quality across the board dropped. For Cajun in town I either cook it myself or else go to Coosh's Bayou Rouge.

Truthfully I go to Mississippi and Louisiana often enough that I usually wait until I go there. But Coosh's and Harry's aren't bad options just not amazing. The real takeaway for me is how long Po Boys lingered on after all quality control ceased about a decade ago or even more.

Unlike Gordos which was always ^ȴ^ masquerading as Cuban, Po Boys was at one time pretty good especially for brunch. But during their expansion they cut back on quality tremendously to save money I guess and after their attempted chain failed the original never reverted back to what made them good in the first place.

Last edited:
I still miss the original Po Boy's on Tennessee St that has 5 cent beers starting at 5 AM on St Paddy's Day.

Reactions: 4th & 14
I also liked the Po Boy's downtown to drink, but the food never came out on time.

Last edited:
UOTE="Gonolz, post: 2257979, memberw8"]When did this shut down? Anyone been to the place that replaced it?

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...t-kitchen-star-arrested-tax-charges/87472534/

I didn't even notice as I stopped going to Po Boys about 10 years ago after they severely cut into their menu and the quality across the board dropped. For Cajun in town I either cook it myself or else go to Coosh's Bayou Rouge.

Truthfully I go to Mississippi and Louisiana often enough that I usually wait until I go there. But Coosh's and Harry's aren't bad options just not amazing. The real takeaway for me is how long Po Boys lingered on after all quality control ceased about a decade ago or even more.

Unlike Gordos which was always ^ȴ^ masquerading as Cuban, Po Boys was at one time pretty good especially for brunch. But during their expansion they cut back on quality tremendously to save money I guess and after their attempted chain failed the original never reverted back to what made them good in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Cajun restaurants when did Good Time Charlie's close in Tallahassee?

Unlike Gordos which was always ^ȴ^ masquerading as Cuban, Po Boys was at one time pretty good especially for brunch. But during their expansion they cut back on quality tremendously to save money I guess and after their attempted chain failed the original never reverted back to what made them good in the first place.

Speaking of Cajun restaurants when did Good Time Charlie's close in Tallahassee?[/QUOTE]

A LONG time ago. Maybe around the same time Po Boys went downhill. For several years there was a bad Cuban place in where Good Time Charlie's was located and now I think it's (maybe going to be I don't know if it opened yet) some Chicago "steak" place. I don't even know what the replacement is going to be because the sign was something vague like Jimmy Bob's House of Steaks home of the world's best chicken. What??????

And I actually liked Good Time Charlie's better than Po Boys even when Po Boys was decent.

Wasn't Good Time Charlie's the place where you'd pee into ice? If so, it was pretty good.

The Tucker Duke's guy has a habit of skipping out on paying his taxes. It was his second arrest this year for doing so. One in Okaloosa County and now this one in Leon. He also screwed a former poster pretty good out of his investment in the Tallahassee spot.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I spent a lot of time at PO's Downtown. Football season was so much fun - there were a lot of fun memories made there.

I lived at The Tallahassee Center, then moved to the Tennyson so it was an easy walk home.

Reactions: DanC78
With the amount of Colombian marching that moved through that place, I'm surprised they ran out of cash.

The Tucker Duke's guy has a habit of skipping out on paying his taxes. It was his second arrest this year for doing so. One in Okaloosa County and now this one in Leon. He also screwed a former poster pretty good out of his investment in the Tallahassee spot.

Yeah, that guy Cartenuto's a dick. JC is always overwhelmingly happy when something bad happens to him.

Reactions: Gonolz
Used to always hit the DT location when i'd come back into town for games. Had a bunch of TVs and we'd just sit on the back deck for hours. Didn't go to the Penasacola location too often but it was always slammed.

If you didn't see it, maybe you can track down the old Tucker Duke's Facebook and twitter accounts if they are still up and running because it was hilarious at the end when Tucker Duke's shut down. My wife and I had eaten there one time in the past and enjoyed it and stopped off one night only to see a sign on the front door saying it was closed as there had been a small fire the night before. A couple of days later we checked Facebook to see if had been reopened and thats when we saw the hilarious (*&)^storm that had occurred. Allegedly (according to my somewhat sketchy memory of the Facebook accusations) the main guy had embezzled the company funds that had been set aside for rainy day issues like the minor fire and that as a result the other investors wouldn't recapitalize to fix the relatively minor issue. And the person running the social media accounts was NOT happy and aired all of the dirty laundry for everyone to see specifically calling the owner out by name.

Reactions: runkpanole
If you didn't see it, maybe you can track down the old Tucker Duke's Facebook and twitter accounts if they are still up and running because it was hilarious at the end when Tucker Duke's shut down. My wife and I had eaten there one time in the past and enjoyed it and stopped off one night only to see a sign on the front door saying it was closed as there had been a small fire the night before. A couple of days later we checked Facebook to see if had been reopened and thats when we saw the hilarious (*&)^storm that had occurred. Allegedly (according to my somewhat sketchy memory of the Facebook accusations) the main guy had embezzled the company funds that had been set aside for rainy day issues like the minor fire and that as a result the other investors wouldn't recapitalize to fix the relatively minor issue. And the person running the social media accounts was NOT happy and aired all of the dirty laundry for everyone to see specifically calling the owner out by name.
I remember the posts and needless to say, the person is still not happy.

Hey guys, long time no talk. Heard I was being discussed and figured I'd chime in.

Hope everyone is well.

Everyone has the story pretty much correct. Cartenuto is a crook, he's been arrested twice for not paying state taxes (I may have helped make those cases), he's under federal investigation by a few multi letter agencies (something else I might have a hand in) and I was the one who took over the social media account - which I still have control of and might re appear as a greatest criminal hits of Brian Cartenuto page when we have another sweet mugshot and charge to add to it. I don't have many hobbies, so making sure this guy doesn't screw more people has become mine.

In any case, this has to be the first time I've posted in over 6 years, so thanks for giving me a reason to get involved.

Hey guys, long time no talk. Heard I was being discussed and figured I'd chime in.

Hope everyone is well.

Everyone has the story pretty much correct. Cartenuto is a crook, he's been arrested twice for not paying state taxes (I may have helped make those cases), he's under federal investigation by a few multi letter agencies (something else I might have a hand in) and I was the one who took over the social media account - which I still have control of and might re appear as a greatest criminal hits of Brian Cartenuto page when we have another sweet mugshot and charge to add to it. I don't have many hobbies, so making sure this guy doesn't screw more people has become mine.

In any case, this has to be the first time I've posted in over 6 years, so thanks for giving me a reason to get involved.

You still have the Garnet Tux, bro?

Welcome back, Costumello. Good to hear from you. It's hard to believe it has been that long since you have been here. Sorry that it is under these circumstances. I knew you were an investor, but didn't know details. I was going to suggest other multi-letter fed agencies, but it seems you are already all over that. These low-lifes who screw some people and agencies seem to screw everyone they can over. The Feds are going to be much rougher on him if he didn't cover his bases, which it sounds like he is too stupid to do.

Not sure how far along things are with these federal agencies. I know you are sophisticated and have plenty of connections. Nevertheless, I know some things and people on the Fed side, so if you ever would like any advice or help, let me know. I thoroughly enjoy making sure scumbags get what is coming to them.

I lived down the street from the one on Pensacola. We were there regularly, sad to see it go. Did some serious day drinking there.

We used to frequent Buffalos on Pensacola street regularly too. I had a couple friends that worked there. They would only charge me for maybe 1/10 of what my bill should have been. Actually, they would only charge my group maybe 1/10 of what my bill should have actually been. And I know I wasn't the only person getting that deal. And yes, they are oob.

I didn't have a deal like that at Po Boys, but wonder if others did. Now knowing a little more about business, there is no way a restaurant can survive when employees are giving away inventory like that.

Last edited:
I'll tell you my Po'Boy's story. I was 22 and had been accepted to FSU. I went up to check out the campus with a buddy of mine from UF and another buddy from UM. Just for the weekend in the summer.

When we went to lunch at Po'Boy's on the recommendation of a friend of mine who was already at FSU. While there we had this cute little blonde waitress and I chatted her up. Got her phone number and agreed to give her a ring to meet up with her friends at AJ's that night. We ended up heading over to Potbelly's, and getting an early start. That place was so full of hot girls that it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Every girl I chatted up was hotter than the one before, and I ended up hooking up with a girl that was probably the hottest girl that I'd hooked up with in my lifetime up to that point.

This was before the time of cell phones. Needless to say I didn't call the spinner from Po'Boys. A few months later when I started the fall semester I went back up there again with a few friends. She came over and gave me the stink eye, and said "you never called". I did a bit of back peddling and explained the situation, and got her number again. This time with no intention of calling. The crazy had already begun to poke through.

I started dating a girl and life just went on, about 6 months later I went back, this time with my girlfriend. No service. I shit you not. No one ever came to our table. I had to go and talk to the manager, and he even said "apparently you really mistreated one of our waitresses and I'll have to serve you myself" I'm thinking to myself, Jesus, imagine if I had take her out.

I avoided the place for a while, but would go every once in a while after intramural just to drink beer, once I had scoped out the place and was convinced that she no longer worked there I began to go and have a more normal restaurant experience there. I really liked the place, not the best Cajun in the world, but very decent and I liked the Po'Boys. They were the best spot for Green Beer on St. Patty's day with thier 0700 $0.5 beer kickoff.

Fast forward to about 2.5 years later. My roommate at the time was a big sasquach of a dude, and he and I lived at the gym always lifting and drinking protein, you know basic early twenties "get huge" mentality. He was 6'7" 270 and I was about the same size I am now 6'2" 225 (only now Im a fat turd, but then it was muscle I swear, I have pictures to prove it). So either way in an effort to be even more douchebags then we already were we decided to go to the tanning bed.

I had never been to a tanning bed. We walked into the joint which was across the street from the old Club Publix just up the road from Po'Boys. We walk in the door and low and behold who is the girl working the desk who gets you all set up on the oven coffin? Short Stack from Po'Boys. She gives me the stink eye again, and says "Oh, it's you". I did a sharp about face and told my homeboy I'd be waiting in the car.

He had no idea why. I explained to him that I was not going to climb into a coffin that was monitored by a psychopath. Needless to say, I never went back or into a tanning bed. I was pretty sure that if she could have locked me in that oven she would have.

Did anybody ever go to the original Po Boys on Tennessee St on St. Patrick's Day? They opened up at 5AM and went until 2AM with 5, 10, and 25 cents beer. My buddy tells me he wants to be there at 5AM so we wake up at 4:30 and are there at 4:45 and there are 200 people waiting for it to open. What a great day and night.

Did anybody ever go to the original Po Boys on Tennessee St on St. Patrick's Day? They opened up at 5AM and went until 2AM with 5, 10, and 25 cents beer. My buddy tells me he wants to be there at 5AM so we wake up at 4:30 and are there at 4:45 and there are 200 people waiting for it to open. What a great day and night.

Read my story above. 3 years in a row, I went on my morning run and stopped at Po'Boy's and never left.

Reactions: Nole Daddy

Yes. At that point I was living in a house on Bellvue. I'd get there at like 7-8am and it was a already a zoo. I don't know how I didn't die stumbling from there to home.

This right here is about 7:24am on St. Paddy's day at Po'Boys circa 1998.

(I'm far right)
4401_108776540409_5575677_n.jpg

Yes. At that point I was living in a house on Bellvue. I'd get there at like 7-8am and it was a already a zoo. I don't know how I didn't die stumbling from there to home.
It was awesome. I remember getting starting to drink at 5AM with hundreds of other students. At 10 I walked over to a class, not because I had to be here but because I thought it would be funny to go drunk. I wasn't the only one because there were so many people that had their backpacks and would go hit a class or 2 after drinking. They had couches outside and people were laid out all over the place.

Yes...always seemed to be the last weekend or the following weekend after spring break

I knew the name Cartenuto sounded familiar, he's a fellow Nicevillian. Seems like I remember playing baseball against him back in the day--he was a year or two older than I. Is the restaurant investor from the 'Ville? Seems like there was one or two on this board back in the day.

Nickel beers beginning at 6 a.m. for the UF game in 1996 is a great memory. That was a noon kickoff when we knocked off the then No. 1 Gators.

Yea, always on a random date like March 17th or something.
lol....the spring breaks were the random dates....I just recall always being tired, hung over, and broke when there for st patty day

Reactions: Zeek99
I don't remember the Po Boys on Tennessee St, but did do the crack of dawn St Patty's day beers at the one on Pensacola in the late 90's.

I remember being bleary eyed waiting in a long line to get in before it opened. It went to pure havoc as soon as the doors opened and everyone was piss drunk within 30 minutes. I recall the Fire Marshall making everyone leave and re-enter because they couldn't get a count of how many had come in. I also recall a fraternity standing on picnic tables and chanting "she has crabs!" at a girl in the crowd.

I lasted until about 11 and waddled out covered in green stains and narrowly avoided a citation for wizzing on the back fence. A few others got rung up as I was stumbling away.

Jon Sweede, so many stories when I used to work there. Back in early 1999-2002, it wasn't that bad.

I went back a year or two the floors were greasy, I asked for a bowl of jambalaya because I knew all it took was for the bartender to walk back there and scoop a bowl and be done with it. Well, I waited 30 minutes for that bowl of jambalaya. I blame the younger generations for not being as competent.

Jon Sweede, so many stories when I used to work there. Back in early 1999-2002, it wasn't that bad.

I went back a year or two the floors were greasy, I asked for a bowl of jambalaya because I knew all it took was for the bartender to walk back there and scoop a bowl and be done with it. Well, I waited 30 minutes for that bowl of jambalaya. I blame the younger generations for not being as competent.

Ha you worked downtown?

I ate there for the FSU/Miami game last year. The food was solid but I was shocked it was empty on a Thursday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT