ADVERTISEMENT

Principal Shames Dad Over Kids' 'Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience'

alaskanseminole

Seminole Insider
Oct 20, 2002
Is it possible that both the principal/school district and the father are right? You can't allow a precedent to be set where "family vacations" become excused absences; however, the father makes good points about the significance of the trip (albeit a bit exagerative in that the trip wasn't likely equivalent to a year in school). In cases like this, I say coordinate with the teachers, make up the work, and endure the consequences, which in this case were a series of unexcused absences.

I've pulled my kids out before for similar reasons...they were able to keep up with their school work and/or make it up, but took the hit for the absence being unexcused.

UPDATE: After reading further comments from the dad, it's clear...dad = entitled douche canoe.

LINK: Principal Shames Dad Over Kids' 'Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience'

Last edited:
I read about that yesterday, on a site that slanted the story far more in favor of the father - basically worshiping him & his response as if he'd done something truly heroic. I didn't much agree with that reaction. While I certainly might have done the same with my kids - and not felt bad about it - I wouldn't have responded to a canned letter about unexcused absence. I think the guy was looking for attention more than anything, and I sure as hell don't think he did anything fantastic with his snarky response to the principal. He drummed things up as if the trip was all about education, perseverance & great life experience. No, it was about him running the Marathon & wanting to have his kids there to applaud him at the finish line.

More disturbing is that there is an entire section of Yahoo dedicated to Parenting, or that Yahoo is still around....

Bah, the states and school systems are way too focused on attendance days. It's not that they care about the education; it's about funding issues.

The simple fact is while this may not be a "once in a lifetime" experience, there are many events like this that provide a kid a lot more than a day in school does. A trip to Boston offers historic lessons as well as current event experience. A trip overseas teaches a ton. An opportunity to spend a few days building a habitat house teaches perspective and character. A couple of days not stuck in a classroom is not a large price to pay.

I don't think parents should just willy nilly be able to take kids out, but there needs to be discretion. The rule I always use with my kids is that if they are doing very well in school and are doing homework and assignments timely, and are not having attendance issues, they can take time off school for things like this. It's also conditioned on them making up ALL work they miss, even doing it ahead of time when they can.

It's worked very well. A few of my kids have met those goals and missed school for these kinds of trips. One of them went on one trip and did not timely make up work and has other grade issues, so that child will not take such trips.

If the school and parents are working together to determine what is best for the particular child, this is not hard. When either side thinks bright lines work, it does not.

Bah, the states and school systems are way too focused on attendance days. It's not that they care about the education; it's about funding issues.

The simple fact is while this may not be a "once in a lifetime" experience, there are many events like this that provide a kid a lot more than a day in school does. A trip to Boston offers historic lessons as well as current event experience. A trip overseas teaches a ton. An opportunity to spend a few days building a habitat house teaches perspective and character. A couple of days not stuck in a classroom is not a large price to pay.

I don't think parents should just willy nilly be able to take kids out, but there needs to be discretion. The rule I always use with my kids is that if they are doing very well in school and are doing homework and assignments timely, and are not having attendance issues, they can take time off school for things like this. It's also conditioned on them making up ALL work they miss, even doing it ahead of time when they can.

It's worked very well. A few of my kids have met those goals and missed school for these kinds of trips. One of them went on one trip and did not timely make up work and has other grade issues, so that child will not take such trips.

If the school and parents are working together to determine what is best for the particular child, this is not hard. When either side thinks bright lines work, it does not.

Spot on, AllNoles. I treat my kids the same...pulled them out for various reasons over the years. My oldest will be a senior next year and is in the top 5% of her class at the 96th most challenging HS in the nation [LINK]. My soon-to-be freshman is also a straight A student and I have no issue pulling either of them out for events like in the OP...I just don't sweat the absence issue (and neither to their teachers). ...heck, sometimes they don't even mark it as unexcused (when is should be) because they are such great students.

Since the dad pre-coordinated this event, he should have just let it go (IMO). His kids wouldn't have be affected by the status of the absense either way (provided they've had a good school record)

But the school might lose a day of student-funding. That's the real issue. And it should not be.

This father seems to love him some him. First, the principal isn't wrong for sending him a private letter, and certainly isn't shaming him either. It also seems like the letter is in response to an initial inquiry/comment by the father, as in, 'hey, why are these absences unexcused?' It doesn't seem like the principal just sent him some letter out of the blue, unprovoked; how else would the principal know where they went? Seems like he is just parroting back school policy in a somewhat canned response, with some additional context about the trip.

Second, I don't see how going to watch your dad run a marathon is a once in a lifetime experience, again, very narcissistic of the father IMO. The fact the father posted a picture of the letter to facebook looking for attention or sympathy, just goes to show what the true motivations behind this trip probably were.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I understand that the school operates with the authority of The State, and all the bureaucracy and compulsion and threat of fine and imprisonment that goes with it. But as a matter of common sense, there are no two sides to this issue at all: PARENT ALWAYS TRUMPS SCHOOL. Always.

I've lived through this when I was in high school: some friends and I decided to go to the beach one day in May in high school. My parents approved of the plan, and wrote a note to the principal letting him know that I would be missing school to go to the beach. I presented it to the principal a few days before, and he said that he would need a better justification or else he would have to penalize me with an "unexcused absence". That was the only time I ever laughed in the principal's face, and told him directly "Good luck with that-- you know that my parents' authority trumps yours". His response was pragmatic and man-to-man: "I know", he said, "but you have to appreciate that if this sets a precedent then I'll have everybody in this place bringing me notes to just skip school all the time". I laughed at him again. He knew that wouldn't happen, but still was worried about saving face as the presumptive authority of the school. I said "sorry", left him holding the note, went to the beach, returned to school the day after, and never heard anything about it.

This is a perfect example of the misdirected and foolish emphasis on following bureaucratic precedents as power trips at the expense of common sense, and of how the machinery of bureaucracies is unable to adapt to the modern world. Like the 9-month school year, originally created for an agrarian society but which has become simply a part of the culture, the notion of "excused" and "unexcused" absences is grounded in the outdated idea that just being there is worth something. Like factory workers punching a clock to get paid according to the time spent at the factory rather than what they produced. I don't punch a clock; I work mostly from home, and at whatever hours I want, because the boss doesn't care when or where I work as long as I deliver what I'm supposed to deliver. A modern school can and should do the same: if a student can demonstrate the skills, they should be GLAD to let them go away; the remaining students (who need the attention more) will have more of the teacher's attention in the absence of the achievers.

But even more fundamental than that is this: the biggest problem most school systems, and indeed, society itself, have these days is a LACK of parental involvement. This principal should be PRAISING the dad for spending time with his kids rather than trying to assert her own bureaucratically-granted authority based on stupid attendance policies. Regardless of his justifications, a kid will ALWAYS learn more about the real world by taking a trip than sitting in school, and only the most arrogant and obtuse administrator could think otherwise.

Unless there is another side of the story that Yahoo is not reporting on (and to be fair, that's very likely), based on what I see here, this story is a clear encapsulation of everything that's wrong with the American (public) education system.

Meh..

I understand the Principal's email, and I hardly think it was scolding.

As a parent, do what you wish, do the makeup, and understand the policy. How is this news?

Agree with SeaPa and Tommy. Nothing wrong with what he did but the guy is making a mountain out of a molehill. Do what you're going to do, accept whatever consequences come your way (which appeared to be none) and move on. But of course, it's 2015, so it's a rule that all this stuff must be posted to Facebook or Twitter. Smh...

I understand that the school operates with the authority of The State, and all the bureaucracy and compulsion and threat of fine and imprisonment that goes with it. But as a matter of common sense, there are no two sides to this issue at all: PARENT ALWAYS TRUMPS SCHOOL. Always.

I've lived through this when I was in high school: some friends and I decided to go to the beach one day in May in high school. My parents approved of the plan, and wrote a note to the principal letting him know that I would be missing school to go to the beach. I presented it to the principal a few days before, and he said that he would need a better justification or else he would have to penalize me with an "unexcused absence". That was the only time I ever laughed in the principal's face, and told him directly "Good luck with that-- you know that my parents' authority trumps yours". His response was pragmatic and man-to-man: "I know", he said, "but you have to appreciate that if this sets a precedent then I'll have everybody in this place bringing me notes to just skip school all the time". I laughed at him again. He knew that wouldn't happen, but still was worried about saving face as the presumptive authority of the school. I said "sorry", left him holding the note, went to the beach, returned to school the day after, and never heard anything about it.

This is a perfect example of the misdirected and foolish emphasis on following bureaucratic precedents as power trips at the expense of common sense, and of how the machinery of bureaucracies is unable to adapt to the modern world. Like the 9-month school year, originally created for an agrarian society but which has become simply a part of the culture, the notion of "excused" and "unexcused" absences is grounded in the outdated idea that just being there is worth something. Like factory workers punching a clock to get paid according to the time spent at the factory rather than what they produced. I don't punch a clock; I work mostly from home, and at whatever hours I want, because the boss doesn't care when or where I work as long as I deliver what I'm supposed to deliver. A modern school can and should do the same: if a student can demonstrate the skills, they should be GLAD to let them go away; the remaining students (who need the attention more) will have more of the teacher's attention in the absence of the achievers.

But even more fundamental than that is this: the biggest problem most school systems, and indeed, society itself, have these days is a LACK of parental involvement. This principal should be PRAISING the dad for spending time with his kids rather than trying to assert her own bureaucratically-granted authority based on stupid attendance policies. Regardless of his justifications, a kid will ALWAYS learn more about the real world by taking a trip than sitting in school, and only the most arrogant and obtuse administrator could think otherwise.

Unless there is another side of the story that Yahoo is not reporting on (and to be fair, that's very likely), based on what I see here, this story is a clear encapsulation of everything that's wrong with the American (public) education system.
Can you explain how parental authority always trumps? If the kid has too many unexcused absences he or she could end up with an attendance failure. That mom or dad said it was ok to miss school does not control that. You hope administrators and parents would work to ensure that did not happen, but your blanket statement seems a bit off.

We agree on the silliness of the rigid rules on attendance, but that does not mean parents trump the school. Parents can't just tell their kids to go once a week. They can't tell them not to do homework. They can't tell them it's ok to skip class or not take tests. Well, they can, but that does not mean the kid will be excused from any of that.

Can you explain how parental authority always trumps? If the kid has too many unexcused absences he or she could end up with an attendance failure. That mom or dad said it was ok to miss school does not control that. You hope administrators and parents would work to ensure that did not happen, but your blanket statement seems a bit off.

We agree on the silliness of the rigid rules on attendance, but that does not mean parents trump the school. Parents can't just tell their kids to go once a week. They can't tell them not to do homework. They can't tell them it's ok to skip class or not take tests. Well, they can, but that does not mean the kid will be excused from any of that.

Parental authority always trumps school authority as a matter of basic morality and common sense. I acknowledged that this is not true as a matter of law or policy-- The State can make whatever policies it wishes and enforce them however it sees fit. I was assuming that the fact that policy exists does not make that policy either good or sensible. I was not arguing that the school's policies do not exist; I was arguing that they are at best misguided and at worst downright immoral.

As a moral principle, simply put, kids do not belong to the school (or by extension, to The State, or to "society"); they belong to their parents. The school is not responsible for my kids' health, or even their education: I am responsible for all those things. The school is an AGENT that should work for ME as their parent, not for itself or for "society". Regardless of how the school's policy defines a valid "excuse", I'm declaring that if I vouch for the student's absence, then THAT is the excuse: I have excused them as their parent, because I know better than the school what they need and what they can learn, whether at or away from school.

But more significant is the practical sense in which attendance policies are stupid. I will summarize those reasons:
1) Presence does not mean productivity. Like the example I offered of punching a clock at a factory: just being there does not mean you are producing anything, nor does it mean you are learning anything. Most kids learn almost nothing in the average school day; what they gain over the course of a year may be measurable, but most days are lost to dozing, daydreaming, misbehavior, or poor teaching.
2) Real outcomes can be measured, and attendance is the worst indicator thereof. Whether it's by testing or portfolios or whatever, there are any number of very good ways to demonstrate what a student has learned (or a worker has produced). Attendance is no indicator of such. As I have indicated, of course a school could issue an "attendance failure" according to its own policies, but that just demonstrates that the policy is absurd. If a student could demonstrate that he could master all the objectives of a curriculum in less time than it takes the school to teach them, what possible justification could the school have for keeping them locked in there just to get the "attendance" portion of the grade? ANYTHING else a student could be doing outside of school, if they were interested in doing it, is better than just sitting there and passing the time.
3) Real learning takes place outside the classroom, and much more rapidly and memorably than in the classroom. Just by making the trip, the kid saw a new city, new places, got a feel for what it's like to be there-- got a lesson that a whole semester on the history of Boston would not have given him. No parent should have to justify those things before a school administrator: an intelligent administrator (or school board, or whomever makes such an asinine policy) will realize it and encourage it.
4) Parental involvement is more important than anything a school can offer. How many parents do you know that would write a note saying "I authorize my kid to go to school only once a week"? But even if they did, so what? Most teachers I know would appreciate ANY proactive involvement with the parent that doesn't involve screaming at or threatening--or worse, ignoring-- the teachers. Even in the worst case, IF a parent is willing to write a note to excuse their kid and then lets the kid run wild, the kid is probably going to learn as much as they would in class, and if they can demonstrate it, what possible justification could a school have for saying "well even though they passed, they should still have been sitting here the whole time"? How absurd is that?

All those very compelling reasons notwithstanding, the overwhelming moral and practical reality remains: a parent knows better than a school administrator what their kid needs. All the rest is just self-justification by the run-down, outmoded educational factory, in which the "workers" (the kids) get paid to punch the clock rather than to actually produce, and the quality of the output is exactly what you would expect from such a factory.

Ok, I see. You are making a bigger picture argument. You described your run in with the principal like he acknowledged some legal issue that's hidden from the rest of us.

I get a lot of what you are saying. I don't necessarily agree that parental authority always trumps, but you are more than entitled to your beliefs.

Who cares if it's unexcused....blah blah blah

If the school decides to fail them and hold them back a year because of the three day trip...then I would roll up my sleeves and raise some H.E. Double hockey sticks.

Now, why the principle took the time to write a letter seems a bit much.

Who cares if it's unexcused....blah blah blah

If the school decides to fail them and hold them back a year because of the three day trip...then I would roll up my sleeves and raise some H.E. Double hockey sticks.

Now, why the principle took the time to write a letter seems a bit much.
Well, if you look at the letter, it says 'RE:' in the subject, which makes it seem to me as though it was in response to an initial letter or contact by the father.

I'm betting the father sent the kids to school with a letter explaining they'd be out, and expected the absences to be excused. But then posted the principal's response as though he received it unprovoked. Which definitely makes the principal look worse. But how would the principal know why the kids were absent to begin with?

Well, if you look at the letter, it says 'RE:' in the subject, which makes it seem to me as though it was in response to an initial letter or contact by the father.

I'm betting the father sent the kids to school with a letter explaining they'd be out, and expected the absences to be excused. But then posted the principal's response as though he received it unprovoked. Which definitely makes the principal look worse. But how would the principal know why the kids were absent to begin with?

Good Point....he might have been forcing the principle to respond. When in management I would have reps ask me questions that would force me to answer HR friendly...when if they didn't say anything at all (like everyone else did) I wouldn't have cared less. Those people drove me nuts.

Dad seems like a self-aggrandizing douche. I'd have tossed the letter in the garbage and moved on to the next piece of junk mail.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/04/28/boston-marathon-principal-letter/

Ok, was looking for more details to this, and this story has more quotes from the dad... yep, definitely a douche...

"I'm really active in the school," he insists. "I take them every day. I chaperone all of the class trips that I can. I go to the field day and all activities. I even make videos for the classrooms and show them at the end of the year — highlights from the year. And I go in and read a couple of times a year. These rules should be in place for parents who aren't involved and who, in some cases, don't even know their kids are absent. This is not for responsible parents trying to teach their kids the right things and teach them about the world outside the classroom."

Officer, I volunteer at soup kitchens and donate clothes to the Goodwill and participate in my company's toy drive every Christmas, why should I have to go the speed limit like everyone else?

Dude is even responding to people in the comments....

Agree with SeaPa and Tommy. Nothing wrong with what he did but the guy is making a mountain out of a molehill. Do what you're going to do, accept whatever consequences come your way (which appeared to be none) and move on. But of course, it's 2015, so it's a rule that all this stuff must be posted to Facebook or Twitter. Smh...

And it really is that simple...good parents of good kids have been doing it for eons.

Heck, my mom told me my senior year, "Son, enjoy your senior skip day...just know I'm not writing you a note." I had an unexcused absence...missed a few assignments and graduated with all the achievements I set forth that year. Big whoop.

Bottom line, dad isn't wrong in his thought process/premise...just wrong in his application. Should have read the principals note and moved on.

Is it possible that both the principal/school district and the father are right? You can't allow a precedent to be set where "family vacations" become excused absences; however, the father makes good points about the significance of the trip (albeit a bit exagerative in that the trip wasn't likely equivalent to a year in school). In cases like this, I say coordinate with the teachers, make up the work, and endure the consequences, which in this case were a series of unexcused absences.

I've pulled my kids out before for similar reasons...they were able to keep up with their school work and/or make it up, but took the hit for the absence being unexcused.

LINK: Principal Shames Dad Over Kids' 'Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience'

I work in a school, and I've been an administrator for over 10 years. Having said that, in my opinion, the principal is way out of line over this. I found her response to be insulting, and to be quite honest, rude.

Most Districts have an attendance policy in place to give families 3 or 5 days of leave for vacations per year as long as the student has good grades and has it approved ahead of time. I approve these all the time, and I rarely turn someone down. The way I see it, they are going to go anyway. Also, in the few instances where I've had concerns, I will CALL, not email, the parents and let them know my concerns. Too many administrators hide behind their keyboards when all they have to do is make a simple phone call.

This is a case of a family that is involved, that has two kids that do well. All they want to do is go see their dad in one of the biggest days of his life. What kind of out of touch person would deny them that opportunity?

I learned early on in administration to pick my battles. This isn't one of them

Ok, was looking for more details to this, and this story has more quotes from the dad... yep, definitely a douche...

"I'm really active in the school," he insists. "I take them every day. I chaperone all of the class trips that I can. I go to the field day and all activities. I even make videos for the classrooms and show them at the end of the year — highlights from the year. And I go in and read a couple of times a year. These rules should be in place for parents who aren't involved and who, in some cases, don't even know their kids are absent. This is not for responsible parents trying to teach their kids the right things and teach them about the world outside the classroom."

Officer, I volunteer at soup kitchens and donate clothes to the Goodwill and participate in my company's toy drive every Christmas, why should I have to go the speed limit like everyone else?

Good find, Tommy. Spot on.

Told my kid after her Spring Break (class) trip to Italy she could take that Monday off to "recover." It was unexcused. I didn't publish a position paper on the matter.

Dad seems like a self-aggrandizing douche. I'd have tossed the letter in the garbage and moved on to the next piece of junk mail.

So if you can simply paste a label of "douche" on somebody then you are no longer bound by reason; you can just call him names instead of addressing his point?

The speed limit analogy completely misses the dad's point, because speed limits are in force to protect other people from a driver. An attendance rule is in force to protect, apparently, the kids from their parents, which is at best arrogant and at worst preposterous.

Childish descriptions of one's character are no refutation of sound reasoning, which the dad has presented: "These rules should be in place for parents who aren't involved and who, in some cases, don't even know their kids are absent. This is not for responsible parents trying to teach their kids the right things and teach them about the world outside the classroom."

He is exactly right, and name-calling is only a diversion from that reality for those that... well, are inclined to call people names.

Reactions: ericram
Heck, my mom told me my senior year, "Son, enjoy your senior skip day...just know I'm not writing you a note." I had an unexcused absence...missed a few assignments and graduated with all the achievements I set forth that year. Big whoop.

Ha, I had my mom write me a note that said "John skipped school for senior skip day". It didn't get me out of detention.

So if you can simply paste a label of "douche" on somebody then you are no longer bound by reason; you can just call him names instead of addressing his point?

I'm calling him a douche for making a big internet stink over it. If he really felt it was an issue he could have simply called up the principal and discussed it. No need to go all social media jihad and explain how awesome a dad he is for taking his kids to Boston and involving himself in their school.

Good find, Tommy. Spot on.

Told my kid after her Spring Break (class) trip to Italy she could take that Monday off to "recover." It was unexcused. I didn't publish a position paper on the matter.
Chiles? Our kids were on the same trip (and took the same day to recover). Of course, my kid was asking me today to excuse her from her last two classes to go see a friend sign a letter of intent or something (I have no idea) and I told her if you don't have enough unexcused absences, it won't work. I don't figure much happens this late senior year (and they were externship classes), but I won't lie and say she is sick when she is not, either.

The speed limit analogy completely misses the dad's point, because speed limits are in force to protect other people from a driver. An attendance rule is in force to protect, apparently, the kids from their parents, which is at best arrogant and at worst preposterous.

Childish descriptions of one's character are no refutation of sound reasoning, which the dad has presented: "These rules should be in place for parents who aren't involved and who, in some cases, don't even know their kids are absent. This is not for responsible parents trying to teach their kids the right things and teach them about the world outside the classroom."

He is exactly right, and name-calling is only a diversion from that reality for those that... well, are inclined to call people names.

Realize, he isn't disagreeing with the rule, he's disagreeing that the rule should be applied to him. Thus, meaning he thinks something he does makes him special, and worthy of different treatment than other parents who aren't as involved as he is. He is making the assumption that parents who aren't involved in their kid's school, are bad parents, which is a douchey assumption.

I'm sorry if this strikes a nerve with you, but I thought it was fairly well documented that people who think their special and deserve to be treated differently because of that, are douches.

To me, I understand why a school district would make this policy and not go on a case by case basis, because then it allows for special treatment and/or biased judgement; if everyone is held to the same standard than how can anyone truly complain?

We have done this and gotten it excused. We took our boys on a 7 day cruise and I wrote a letter to the principal explaining we would be visiting natural zoos, snorkeling and learning about the ocean and visiting Mayan ruins and a Mayan families home to learn about Mayan history and culture. Both boys had to do a presentation upon return to school. They did learn a lot on this trip, not so sure about the Boston Marathon unless they were adding in historical sites too.

My wife took our kids home to Japan to visit her parents. We timed it around spring break so they could be gone for three weeks but just miss one week of school. I got a similar letter and called the school to make sure they weren't going to turn me in to social services or something. The lady at the school laughed and said don't worry about it. They were required by law to send out the letter after 5 consecutive absences but had no intention of following up. Definitely a mountain out of a mole hill.

Kid's learn from those trips. Missing a few days to visit a city like Boston is a worthwhile endeavor. Silly to react that way.

Take the family vacation in summer or during spring break or over winter break.

Kids need to be in school.

Notes :

Government Oversight :
Accountability measures by the government place an emphasis on attendance.(NCLB)

Teachers:
Good ones Don't adhere to attendance policies. My job is to assure mastery. I will will reteach 10 times and give the same "A" a first time student receives when mastering an objective. On the flipside, I'm not giving a student a bad grade that has mastered an objective but has poor attendance.

Bad Parents:
That dad is the worst for teachers. He is the entitled that causes you severe issues with the "non entitled". By not following policy, he makes it hard to deal with parents that need to be forced with policy. Is he more deserving because he has time than a single Mom working so much she can't be at school?

Opinion:
Go to Boston. Your kid's grade will not be affected. If you are a great parent, don't expect to be treated different and don't teach your child such expectations. And lastly, don't go off on a principal who is doing what she has to do.

Notes :

Government Oversight :
Accountability measures by the government place an emphasis on attendance.(NCLB)

Teachers:
Good ones Don't adhere to attendance policies. My job is to assure mastery. I will will reteach 10 times and give the same "A" a first time student receives when mastering an objective. On the flipside, I'm not giving a student a bad grade that has mastered an objective but has poor attendance.

Bad Parents:
That dad is the worst for teachers. He is the entitled that causes you severe issues with the "non entitled". By not following policy, he makes it hard to deal with parents that need to be forced with policy. Is he more deserving because he has time than a single Mom working so much she can't be at school?

Opinion:
Go to Boston. Your kid's grade will not be affected. If you are a great parent, don't expect to be treated different and don't teach your child such expectations. And lastly, don't go off on a principal who is doing what she has to do.
THANK YOU!

Or in other words, he's a douche.

Sorry, there's nothing educational about taking your kids to see you run in a race. He should have gotten clarification beforehand.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Sorry, there's nothing educational about taking your kids to see you run in a race. He should have gotten clarification beforehand.

He's smart enough to not need "clarification", he felt entitled.

After I returned from a one year deployment, I took each of my daughters out of school for one day each to have a "special day." I coordinated with their teachers prior on which day would have the least academic impact. I never even thought to ask if it would be considered unexcused or excused...only cared about the least amount of class disruption and make-up work. Come to think of it, I can't even remember how the attendance was recorded.

Tommy summed up the thread the best...entitled douche (I updated the OP accordingly ;)).

We did this a couple of times with our kids.

With the unexcused absent thing, the best policy for the parent is to just do it and ask for forgiveness later. We did it both ways, the first we did what we thought was the responsible thing and let the school know that our kids would not be there for a Thursday and Friday to attend a family event out of state. That went over like a fart in church. We got all the letters and demands that we could not due that, the absences would be "unexcused" etc. blah, blah. You would have thought we were the worst parents in the world, that's basically how the school treated us.

The second and last time was just for my daughter, as my son had already graduated (with honors by the way) so we didn't try to give them a heads up first, we just called both days and told them she would not be in, we didn't give an excuse, just told them that. Never heard a word about it after she went back to school.

For the record, I agree with SeaPA, the father is looking for attention.

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/04/29/boston-marathon-dad-principal-letter-coverage/

Rossi and his wife met with the school's principal, a representative of the superintendent's office and at least one school board member early on Wednesday morning to discuss the fracas.

"They stand by their policy, and I'm OK with that," says Rossi. "My biggest beef is the clarity or lack of clarity of the policy and then the way and the tone and the accusatory nastiness of the letter. How many days unexcused is it before I get a knock on the door from the police? They couldn't answer that. But as far as the letter is concerned, they said they would look into that."

According to Rossi, a school board member asked him to stop posting on Facebook and talking to the media about the situation, and the principal told the couple that she received over 100 nasty messages.

"I do feel bad for the principal," he says. "Lots of personal attacks. But I am getting them, too. People I've never met before reaching out and saying, 'You're a douchebag.' Or 'your kids are entitled.' And 'your kids are going to grow up to be brats.'"

(You are, they will, and they probably already are)
But Rossi says that he's not going to be silenced.

"My wife spoke up and said, 'This is an important issue, and we are going to keep talking about it,'" says Rossi, adding that he's expecting to do Fox and Friends and the Today show on Thursday morning.

And then, he insists, he wants this to be over.

"I hope that tomorrow is my 14th minute," he says. "Because all I really want to do is run." He'll be competing in the Broad Street Run this weekend.

The school's principal has not responded our request for comment.

This guy... is just... nearly every quote from him in this article is just sopping wet with narcissistic, entitled douchiness. "All I really want to do is run" How did anyone hearing this said live not burst out laughing?

You got your meeting with all the people you wanted to, but you're still going to go on F&F and Today? Good grief...

Reactions: DFSNOLE
http://www.phillymag.com/news/2015/04/29/boston-marathon-dad-principal-letter-coverage/

Rossi and his wife met with the school's principal, a representative of the superintendent's office and at least one school board member early on Wednesday morning to discuss the fracas.

"They stand by their policy, and I'm OK with that," says Rossi. "My biggest beef is the clarity or lack of clarity of the policy and then the way and the tone and the accusatory nastiness of the letter. How many days unexcused is it before I get a knock on the door from the police? They couldn't answer that. But as far as the letter is concerned, they said they would look into that."

According to Rossi, a school board member asked him to stop posting on Facebook and talking to the media about the situation, and the principal told the couple that she received over 100 nasty messages.

"I do feel bad for the principal," he says. "Lots of personal attacks. But I am getting them, too. People I've never met before reaching out and saying, 'You're a douchebag.' Or 'your kids are entitled.' And 'your kids are going to grow up to be brats.'"

(You are, they will, and they probably already are)
But Rossi says that he's not going to be silenced.

"My wife spoke up and said, 'This is an important issue, and we are going to keep talking about it,'" says Rossi, adding that he's expecting to do Fox and Friends and the Today show on Thursday morning.

And then, he insists, he wants this to be over.

"I hope that tomorrow is my 14th minute," he says. "Because all I really want to do is run." He'll be competing in the Broad Street Run this weekend.

The school's principal has not responded our request for comment.

This guy... is just... nearly every quote from him in this article is just sopping wet with narcissistic, entitled douchiness. "All I really want to do is run" How did anyone hearing this said live not burst out laughing?

You got your meeting with all the people you wanted to, but you're still going to go on F&F and Today? Good grief...

He's probably a bike rider, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT