ADVERTISEMENT

Principal Shames Dad Over Kids' 'Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience'

It's unbelievable what becomes a "thing" these days. What is the impact of three unexcused absences? Who cares? If your kid already has 5-6 unexcused absences, then that's on you and you shouldn't be taking them to Boston. Otherwise, who cares?

When we went to Italy a couple years ago, I pulled my kids out for a week. Wife and kids started hand-wringing about unexcused absences, blah, blah. I don't care, school can come at me bro. My kids are straight A students, were taking measures to make up the work, so what are they going to do? Fail my kids? I'm sure that would fly.

But at the same time, I'm not getting bent out of shape about the administrative procedures the school uses. Ok, so they're unexcused. I'm still sleeping at night.

What is the difference between excused and unexcused anyways? I thought unexcused would mean they could not make up any tests or grades for the days missed whereas excused means you can. So if you missed a quiz, homework or test and got an unexcused absence then the student receives a 0 with no chance of making up or improving the score from that assignment.

Or is it just simply a designation on when to report parents to the law for violation?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT