ADVERTISEMENT

Racing Greyhounds, The Big Puppy and Sam

samnnoles

Contributor
Nov 11, 2002
It's been awhile since I've been in the LR. I thought I'd see what you guys thought about this. We recently had to put our Rhodesian Ridgeback to sleep due to extreme pain from a back injury, arthritis, cancer and being 11+ years old. Very hard thing to do. Some of you may remember a very old thread on the "Big Puppy". Well, that "puppy" is now a 9 year old Bull Mastiff/ Boxer mix that had lived with the Ridgeback since he was 9 weeks old. He is a bit bewildered and really misses his friend. We had recently, before the Ridgeback got injured and was still doing pretty well, considered adopting a Greyhound since the amendment banning racing passed in November. There isn't a flood of greyhounds yet but when the tracks start closing there probably will be.
We are working with a group out of, of all places, Gainesville to get a cat safe dog. They have been great and we'll probably get one soon. My question is has anyone in the LR adopted one or had greyhound(s)? What are your experiences with them, especially with regard to cats and other small dogs? Mickey, The Big Puppy, went to meet and greet yesterday with 5 or 6 greyhounds and loved being with other dogs. They seemed to get along great with him. Just concerned since we have 3 cats.
Our son Sam, who many of you shared thoughts, prayers and gave support to when he was going through cancer treatment back in 2007/8 is now 22 and graduated from FSU in December with a B.S in Political Science. May 5th he'll be 11 years cancer free.

Coincidentally on Thursday night the Leon County Humane Society received 76 beautiful little dogs from a south Georgia puppy mill.

https://www.leoncountyhumane.org/help-our-biggest-little-dog-rescue/#jp-carousel-6420

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...scued-puppy-mill-safe-leon-county/3041666002/
We will not be getting a puppy. We are going to adopt an adult dog. We started the process because of the Amendment passing but have since come to love these dogs. They don't have much of a life at the track and the ones we've met that have been adopted are sweet, fun dogs. We know there are other dogs available and we could go to any number of rescue organizations or animal shelters and get a wonderful dog immediately and for a smaller adoption fee. That does bother me a bit. We have always had rescues, strays or shelter dogs and cats. We've never bought a dog or had a purebred since someone gave me an Afghan Hound when I was 18. This is a rescue organization. The dog will be vetted for cat safeness, spayed or neutered, have teeth cleaned and a full checkup w/ shots updated and 6 mo. of flea and heartworm protection. I'd take all of them if I could. Right now, we will be adopting one. In a few years, when the Big Puppy is gone, we'll have room for another.

Coincidentally on Thursday night the Leon County Humane Society received 76 beautiful little dogs from a south Georgia puppy mill.

https://www.leoncountyhumane.org/help-our-biggest-little-dog-rescue/#jp-carousel-6420

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...scued-puppy-mill-safe-leon-county/3041666002/
I'm thinking that's the same case we're seeing on the news here in Jax-a horrible breeder who needs to spend some time in a cage themselves. Many of the rescued animals were matted with feces, blind in one eye, claws so long they couldn't walk, etc. lots of interested folks have offered to give forever homes already.

I'm thinking that's the same case we're seeing on the news here in Jax-a horrible breeder who needs to spend some time in a cage themselves. Many of the rescued animals were matted with feces, blind in one eye, claws so long they couldn't walk, etc. lots of interested folks have offered to give forever homes already.
Being in a cage too long could effect any breed. Especially if they are in heat.

Reactions: goldmom
I'm seeing some posts about these dogs. Sounds like horrible conditions. The owner agreed to give them up. They're getting cleaned up, checked out and readied for adoption. Not too many larger dogs. We may be looking at a third dog now. We could still wait for the cat safe retired racer and still get an adult dog from a local rescue. We'll see.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT