ADVERTISEMENT

Senator Marco Rubio Intentionally Insults FSU Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

More Kirk Less Spock

Seminole Insider
Sep 9, 2007
"“Look, I don’t have anything against Florida State,” said Rubio, setting himself up to drive home the dagger. “I think there has to be a school where people that can’t get into Florida can go to college. And that’s why we have Florida State.”

https://soundcloud.com/marcorubio-2/marco-rubio-on-knxo-1460-am-the-sports-fanatics

This is the link to the gentleman's website.

http://www.rubio.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/mobile/contact

Feel free to contact him and express your displeasure as he denigrates a state university. Feel free to post what you wrote in a reply to this thread. As for me, I let him know that as my daughter prepares to be a third generation FSU student, we send her there proudly despite the negative perception he is trying to promote.

I'm offended. Can we call this racist, homophobic or bigoted? All the above?... just want to find something to be offended about.

Reactions: NolaNole9
I'm offended. Can we call this racist, homophobic or bigoted? All the above?... just want to find something to be offended about.

It is none of the above. It is simply a statement intentionally insulting the educational value of the institution where where many of us earned our degrees. A number of us here actually graduated from FSU and are vested in more than the perception/performance of our football team.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReliableOstrich
"“Look, I don’t have anything against Florida State,” said Rubio, setting himself up to drive home the dagger. “I think there has to be a school where people that can’t get into Florida can go to college. And that’s why we have Florida State.”

https://soundcloud.com/marcorubio-2/marco-rubio-on-knxo-1460-am-the-sports-fanatics

Feel free to contact him and express your displeasure as he denigrates a state university. Feel free to post what you wrote in a reply to this thread. As for me, I let him know that as my daughter prepares to be a third generation FSU student, we send her there proudly despite the negative perception he is trying to promote.
Marco's opinions are about as good as his chances to be elected President. Didn't he go to a JC first? Maybe HE couldn't get into FSU?

Thrasher response

“He’s a nice kid,” said FSU President John Thrasher, who served with Rubio in Florida legislature. “I’m sure he’s frustrated by his low standing in the polls, which I believe could be a reflection of where he got his education.”

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...dealt-florida-state-incredible-burn/72298830/

/ sorry to have 2 threads going, but always feel the need to do something when attacked. Never really been the turn the other cheek type. Still encourage people to email Rubio and discourage him from casting aspersions upon our university.

Time for me to look up that video of him standing behind the podium grabbing at thirty cups of water as he's sweating buckets just giving a canned, prewritten speech.

Here ya go.

Such an unprepared goober to put on after the President (and btw until the last election cycle I was a Republican on paper before switching to independent so it's not like I'm a huge Dem).

"I have donated money to your campaign in the past and was very disturbed to read your disparaging remark about FSU. I was a high school honor grad and won an academic scholarship through a competitive exam. I'm very proud of my degrees from FSU."

I posted this in the TC, they'll have a field day with it.

I'm sure it might have already been posted there, and it will more than likely be dumped here or permanently removed. But nonetheless, it's there for the masses.

Last edited:
Rubio's a grifter who's never earned a paycheck that wasn't either from his political position or that directly stemmed from political connections; he was such a brilliant high school student that he had to go to Santa Fe Community College. Then he somehow managed that it was horrible that Crist was a career politician, even though the only difference was that he hadn't been sucking on the public teat as long only because he hadn't been alive as long.

If he makes that comment while sitting around watching football with a couple of close friends, it's no big deal. For a sitting Senator to make such a comment, on radio for all to hear, is unacceptable. I hope his collapsing presidential campaign holds on long enough to keep him from abandoning it in time to run for the Senate again.

Rubio's a grifter who's never earned a paycheck that wasn't either from his political position or that directly stemmed from political connections; he was such a brilliant high school student that he had to go to Santa Fe Community College. Then he somehow managed that it was horrible that Crist was a career politician, even though the only difference was that he hadn't been sucking on the public teat as long only because he hadn't been alive as long.

If he makes that comment while sitting around watching football with a couple of close friends, it's no big deal. For a sitting Senator to make such a comment, on radio for all to hear, is unacceptable. I hope his collapsing presidential campaign holds on long enough to keep him from abandoning it in time to run for the Senate again.

He has stated he will not run for senate regardless.

His twitter comments saying "Relax FSU fans its only college football" show him to be either genuinely unable to comprehend what his words meant or completely disingenuous. I believe he knew exactly what he was saying. His intent to was nothing less than to further harm the reputation of FSU and elevate UF by comparison. I do believe he did this as a true gator fan rather than as a politician. They spend an inordinate amount of time trying to build themselves up by dragging FSU down. His political motivations were probably the idea that any press at this point would be good press. He was wrong. He has a duty as our state's senator to advocate and promote our state's interests. His interests as a gator supporter clearly come first.

Reactions: YogiNole
Big deal. He was joking. I have no opinion on the guy as a politician but I'm not getting worked up over an ongoing joke between two rivals.

Of course he said he won't. He sure as hell isn't going to launch a bid for the Presidency with the tagline "I want you to support me for President, but if I know I'm gonna lose I'll jump ship & go back to the safety of the Senate seat." There's a reason why no name candidates have jumped into the race yet, and it sure as hell isn't because nobody thinks it would be great to be a Senator.

Reactions: pauldNole

His twitter comments saying "Relax FSU fans its only college football" show him to be either genuinely unable to comprehend what his words meant or completely disingenuous. I believe he knew exactly what he was saying. His intent to was nothing less than to further harm the reputation of FSU and elevate UF by comparison. I do believe he did this as a true gator fan rather than as a politician. They spend an inordinate amount of time trying to build themselves up by dragging FSU down. His political motivations were probably the idea that any press at this point would be good press. He was wrong. He has a duty as our state's senator to advocate and promote our state's interests. His interests as a gator supporter clearly come first.

This is yet another reason why FSU fans and supporters need to make sure our politicians know that the State and Federal government needs to fully fund FSU so that it can serve Florida citizens as an elite academic and research institution.

FSU has NEVER been adequately funded by the State of Florida.

FSU has gained 12 places in quality since 2008. In contrast, over the same time period, the university has dropped 5 places to #212 in financial resources. In fact, since 1999, Florida State has steadily dropped in financial resources in comparison with its peers, dropping 46 places, while at the same time achieving its highest quality rating for the same period. Its high quality rank, despite having the lowest level of financial resources of all tier one universities, is the basis for US News and World Reports listing of Florida State at the top of its efficiency ranking. Florida State University knows how to invest a dollar in quality. FSU is committed to accessible excellence. A strategic investment, focused on its mission, can now take FSU to the level of a top 25 public university efficiently and effectively, maintaining our noteworthy record of accessibility. A focus on STEM, combined with a focus on career readiness, will both move Florida State University higher in the rankings and serve the critical needs of the citizens of Florida.

Lotsa butthurt in this thread...

Lotsa people who take pride in their affiliation with FSU and don't take kindly to our state's senator going out of his way to disparage the university. He's not just another gator douchebag thumping his chest. He's a United State's Senator who is supposed to represent our state. As another posted said, he didn't say, your punter is a shankopotomus. He attacked the academics of a state University. You are free to turn the other cheek if it pleases you (to continue your butt metaphor). As for me, I'm glad FSU alums are responding with more than a shrug.

Being serious for one second. Even though it was an incredibly dumb thing to say, I do get it was in jest and that he more than likely might not 100% feel that way...maybe.

But regardless, when I'm in the booth and having to make a decision. (senator or republican nominee) and I see his name on the ballot, I'm telling you right now, I won't vote for him because of this comment. It just won't happen. I'll see the name and associate blue and orange with him, and then will think of his arrogant douche bag comment, and I'll vote for the next guy instead.

Just the way it is.

He is dead to me.

Last edited:

I saw people talking about this on twitter yesterday I think and I posted on his FB page that many people like my daughter were actually accepted by both and chose to go to FSU. I then got in a little dig that she didn't have to go through Santa Fe first like he did.

It is annoying, though, that he would undermine the reputation of a school from his state, when he should be working to make them all better, not playing favorites. He lost all support any support I would have given him. Not expecting him to get the GOP nom anyway.

Being series for one second. Even though it was an incredibly dumb thing to say, I do get it was in jest and that he more than likely might not 100% feel that way...maybe.

But regardless, when I'm in the booth and having to make a decision. (senator or republican nominee) and I see his name on the ballot, I'm telling you right now, I won't vote for him because of this comment. It just won't happen. I see the name and associate blue and orange with it and I'll vote for the next guy instead.

Just the way it is.

I know this is probably sacrilegious but I don't have a problem voting for a Gate/Cane/*rival name* grad especially if they've shown that they can make rise above their university affiliation. Rubio clearly is incapable of rising above this pettiness

Marco's ranking in the presidential polls is similar to the football rankings of uf & um.

I think he probably realizes by now that he is unlikely to get the nomination. His hope would have to be that someone other than Jeb gets the nod and he gets tapped as VP to help them carry Florida. Great strategy insulting, I don't know what the number is (FSU alumni and fans)...500,000 people? Smart.

maxresdefault.jpg

First FL has to deal with hanging chads and now it has Marco Rubio. FL is doomed!

Surprisingly, Small Slimebaum on the SEC network just called Rubio a "Dope" for his FSU comments. When Slimebaum doesn't have your back for dissing FSU then you KNOW you've screwed up big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT