ADVERTISEMENT

Senator Marco Rubio Intentionally Insults FSU Education

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also read that he is contemplating a run at Governor after he fails to become President. Good luck with that after offending a huge portion of the state. We can await his insincere apology and reject it completely when he decides he needs votes from those beneath him.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
It is none of the above. It is simply a statement intentionally insulting the educational value of the institution where where many of us earned our degrees. A number of us here actually graduated from FSU and are vested in more than the perception/performance of our football team.

Hell yeah
#FSULivesMatter

Even funnier, his coments came after talking about the rivalries before the Iowa / Iowa State game and based on a small sampling of my inlaw Iowa State fans, they did not like it either. Iowa State fans/alums put up with the exact same snobbery from Iowa fans regarding school and football conference. Well done Marco.

Thrasher's come back was great!

"He's a nice kid," said FSU President John Thrasher, who served with Rubio in Florida legislature. "I'm sure he's frustrated by his low standing in the polls, which I believe could be a reflection of where he got his education."

Thrasher's come back was great!

"He's a nice kid," said FSU President John Thrasher, who served with Rubio in Florida legislature. "I'm sure he's frustrated by his low standing in the polls, which I believe could be a reflection of where he got his education."

Calling him a kid is a nice little jab too as he seeks the highest office in the land. Also, Rubio has a facebook page that I can tell he is reading. People are expressing themselves directly to him there.

If I'm sitting around watching a game & drinking beer with a buddy who's a uf guy, it's no big deal (and is to be expected). A sitting Senator should know that such a comment, on a national radio show, is a different situation.
Fish on!

I also read that he is contemplating a run at Governor after he fails to become President. Good luck with that after offending a huge portion of the state. We can await his insincere apology and reject it completely when he decides he needs votes from those beneath him.

That's the talk.

Did he watch the Gates play last weekend???

Look Marco, you'll have plenty of time this fall to watch your pathetic Gators play football since your embarrassing campaign for President fizzles like Katlyn Jenner's reality show. Let me save Trump the oxygen, "Marco, you're fired!"

images

The reason this hurts FSU (among others), by the way, is that ours is a country of soundbites. Mr. Rubio's clever quip is repeated time and again and when FSU alumni apply for jobs they are then up against would be employers who remember his statements. Should this control an application process? No, but why would a US senator want to do anything but help his constituents?

Last edited:
He majored on political science and FSU has the higher rated program and he went to scUM for law school who is also behind FSU in law school rankings.

He also attended UF via the community college mandate. It'd not as if he was some honors student out of HS.

He lost at least 2 votes from my household. I'd vote for ANYBODY over him.

Reactions: FSU_Chris
Meh, I don't really care.

Actually I kind of like it. He gets what the rivalry is about.

Meh, I don't really care.

Actually I kind of like it. He gets what the rivalry is about.

The rivalry, for most of us, is about football. We barely pay attention to basketball because we are not that good and we give the infrequent look at baseball. For some it is about a claim of academic superiority, which is expected because gators often display their silver spoon mentality, both intentionally and unintentionally.

For a sitting US Senator to demean the reputation of our university on a national stage shows a lack of judgment.

Last edited:
I don't doubt that and I always find it amusing. The B1G ain't exactly a barn burner of a conference. The conference record against the Big 12 the past 10-15 years isn't too hot either.

No doubt. Somehow though in B1G world, the Ohio State NC erases all their football failure the last 10 years.

I think he meant that the rest of the B1G clings to Ohio State's title as proof their conference isn't Charmin soft. Ohio State is head and shoulders above the rest of that conference in terms of talent and athleticism.

Michigan State did them well by beating the Ducks but other than those two that conference is garbage

The rivalry, for most of us, is about football. We barely pay attention to basketball because we are not that good and we give the infrequent look at baseball. For some it is about a claim of academic superiority, which is expected because gators often display their silver spoon mentality, both intentionally and unintentionally.

For a sitting US Senator to demean the reputation of our university on a national stage shows a lack of judgment.

Wasn't he on a Sports Talk Radio program?

..... He has a duty as our state's senator to advocate and promote our state's interests. His interests as a gator supporter clearly come first.
FSU_UCLA had this to say on the political board:

This is really depressing and stupid. It's so utterly shortsighted and irresponsible. That FSU and UF alumni allow their rivalry to spill outside of friendly sports competition is just insane. They are members of the same university system and they should be actively supporting each other to the greatest extent possible.

Diane Feinstein, who is a Stanford alumna, is one of the most strident and consistent supporters of the UC, because she knows it's in the best interest of the state. I absolutely can not imagine Jerry Brown, a Berkeley alumnus, saying anything disparaging about UCLA or any other UC campus. When a UC is struggling, we all try to help each other. I was just at an all-campus conference for mental health providers, and it was family atmosphere. You just can't have a successful state university system in which the members treat other so disrespectfully, especially when those members are elected to statewide public office.

That's the problem with UF generally. They've created a culture where many graduates place too much importance on being the best university in the state. They should be a much better university than they are. We're the third largest state. We have the talent. Many graduates are more concerned about how they compare in state than how they compare to other universities nationwide.

Last edited:
Reactions: pauldNole
This news talk show contains 2 links to mini podcasts. The speaker, who I have never heard before, points out how Rubio's comments differ from normal "college football trash talk" - the second link on the page is the better of the 2. He is mostly bemused by the political thickheadedness of the attack, but also talks about the impact disparaging state schools may have outside of Florida.

http://www.newstalkflorida.com/marco-rubio-uses-presidential-platform-to-attack-fsu

That's the problem with UF generally. They've created a culture where many graduates place too much importance on being the best university in the state. They should be a much better university than they are. We're the third largest state. We have the talent. Many graduates are more concerned about how they compare in state than how they compare to other universities nationwide.

This is right on point.

Historically, higher education in the State of Florida has followed the model of giving UF the lions share of state funding and let everyone else fight over the scraps. That model is still in place today in the form of UF getting money to operate UF like every other school but also money above and beyond the other state schools for its medical (UF-HSC) and agricultural (IFAS) programs.

For example, see pages 43 and 44 in the link below:

http://www.flbog.edu/about/budget/docs/2014-15_Combined-Final-Book.pdf

If you know Florida history, then you will know that UF supporters in the state legislature gave UF exclusive dibs one these research-intensive programs and then enacted protective laws directing the SUS to "avoid duplication and redundancy." Over the years, UF supporters have pushed and relied on the "avoid duplication and redundancy" laws to enforce its monopoly on research-intensive academic programs and to prevent the other schools, namely FSU, from obtaining them. (Of course, UF has never had a problem with creating a duplicate or redundant program whenever it wanted to add one.) Anyway, the result of this historical "policy" is that we have this huge and bloated money-sucking institution that is UF that isn't even ranked very highly by objective measures. And we have an extremely mediocre overall SUS, because the system is devoted to maintaining a UF monopoly on certain things, instead of competition.

When folks start introducing ways to pierce the UF monopoly, you start getting articles like this:

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20110722/OPINION03/110729920

Also, the funny thing is that UF's medical and agricultural programs do not benefit the average UF undergraduate in any way, shape or form. But those programs do have separate budgets and generate huge research dollars, so UF can include those monies when it submits data to the "ranking services" like the US News & World Report. Consequently, UF looks much better than FSU in the rankings and uninformed UF undergrads like Rubio get to brag about it. But the reality is that the quality of education provided to the average UF undergraduate is not any better (and in many cases, worse) than FSU.

I also find it entertaining that UF won't include its medical and agricultural program monies in its data when it cries poverty to the Florida legislature. The reality is that UF sucks nearly twice the amount of Florida taxpayer money from the State of Florida as FSU. (And FSU happens to be rated the most efficient university in the nation, so where would you spend your money?) That always gives me a chuckle anytime I hear some dimwitted UF fan refer to FSU as "Taxpayer U." Heck, UF costs the Florida taxpayers about $400 million more than FSU on AN ANNUAL BASIS. Hypocrites.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

That's an inherent inability to expand their minds.

The history of this state is very "unfortunate" in terms of the historic short shrift given to Florida State University/FSCW/Seminary West of the Suwannee. Now that we have other state universities with large enrollments to serve our population, the Legislature has refused to act to fund them on a level that puts us in league with other states.

When Rep. Buckman got his bill passed separating the men and women into two schools (misogyny) and a place for "Negroes" (FAMU), the effects have been institutionalized by the disproportionate power that the male graduates of uf held in the legislature for decades.

Since the latest reports show that Florida has the third largest population, we simply cannot afford to hold some schools back, and try to name ONE school the "flagship" institution (which only shows that uf fears that they may lose some power and favoritism) is just a terribly poor decision and injurious to the future of the state.
Facts are that uf has seen their law school decline with the presence of FSU's superior law school and they're holding on to the past. Times change, gatas. Deal.

The history of this state is very "unfortunate" in terms of the historic short shrift given to Florida State University/FSCW/Seminary West of the Suwannee. Now that we have other state universities with large enrollments to serve our population, the Legislature has refused to act to fund them on a level that puts us in league with other states.

When Rep. Buckman got his bill passed separating the men and women into two schools (misogyny) and a place for "Negroes" (FAMU), the effects have been institutionalized by the disproportionate power that the male graduates of uf held in the legislature for decades.

Since the latest reports show that Florida has the third largest population, we simply cannot afford to hold some schools back, and try to name ONE school the "flagship" institution (which only shows that uf fears that they may lose some power and favoritism) is just a terribly poor decision and injurious to the future of the state.
Facts are that uf has seen their law school decline with the presence of FSU's superior law school and they're holding on to the past. Times change, gatas. Deal.
Can be summed up as small town syndrome creating nothing but small minds in their university....the one and only thing a central FL hick town has.

Just another state school.

You think people outside of Florida think uf is the equivalent of UVA or UC-Berkley, or other legitimately great state institutions? Gimme a friggin' break.
This is very true. For the most part folks in the NE just know them as "the one with tebow" or "the one with Jameis", now we'll get to add "the one with the rejects" to that list of soundbites. Thanks marco. Jerk.

Last edited:
Reactions: YogiNole

You think people outside of Florida think uf is the equivalent of UVA or UC-Berkley, or other legitimately great state institutions? Gimme a friggin' break.

Absolutely not. I'd say more like a Penn State, at best.

Agreed.

Problem is.....unless FSU gets some ambition and FAST, it will be UF, USF, UCF then maybe fsu

Folks will shout me down, but those in the know, know I am right

Fsu is getting lapped and fsu leadership is siting on its hands

Les gets it and summed it up succinctly.

NoleOne's post above is dead on. Add to this the fact that UF has mastered the manipulation of acceptance rates in the fall (to look "selective") while being as average as every other state school in the spring and summer and being able to count "extension agents" as faculty to improve student/faculty ratios. Is it a good school? Absolutely. Is it superior to FSU? Absolutely not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT