ADVERTISEMENT

signed a dnr

scottcu

Starter
Sep 29, 2005
so I've signed a dnr, still not entirely sure what they will or will not do in the event of an emergency. I don't want to be brought back if my heart stops, and I do not want a breathing tube stuck in my throat, but like let's say my breathing machine falls off my face I'll die if they don't put it back, would that be included in the DNR? I don't want to suffocate it's the worst.

so I've signed a dnr, still not entirely sure what they will or will not do in the event of an emergency. I don't want to be brought back if my heart stops, and I do not want a breathing tube stuck in my throat, but like let's say my breathing machine falls off my face I'll die if they don't put it back, would that be included in the DNR? I don't want to suffocate it's the worst.

Can't fathom what you're going through.

Not a lawyer, but this DNR needs to be your document and reflect your wishes. Read it, understand it, and put in there whatever the hell you want.

Can't fathom what you're going through.

Not a lawyer, but this DNR needs to be your document and reflect your wishes. Read it, understand it, and put in there whatever the hell you want.
DNRs vary from state to state. Read up on Florida’s here. The form is important for emergency personnel to assure they know it is valid. There is a difference between a DNRO and a living will.

http://www.floridahealth.gov/about-...ghts-and-safety/do-not-resuscitate/index.html

I have to ask... is there anything in life that you want the LR to make happen that you can't do yourself right now? The LR has a pretty broad reach.

You want a paper maiche statue of Bobby Bowden to "appear" at the entrance to Ben Hill Griffin? Feel free to get weird here (in the spirit of Carl Spackler).

I have to ask... is there anything in life that you want the LR to make happen that you can't do yourself right now? The LR has a pretty broad reach.

You want a paper maiche statue of Bobby Bowden to "appear" at the entrance to Ben Hill Griffin? Feel free to get weird here (in the spirit of Carl Spackler).
cosigned.

on a more serious note, they will do whatever they can to save you, short of full on resuscitation. CPR is violent and brutal, breaks the ribs, etc. My dad had heart failure and they resuscitated him but he never really woke up again. He then went through another 24 hours of 1:1 with a hemodialysis nurse. I think he would have been better off without the cpr. The upside is we were able to come to his bedside and say goodbye.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I've had experience with my Dad and Step-Dad. It sure makes it easier on your family not having to guess what they should do. Make sure you have one, make sure it has in it what you want done, sign it, make sure the appropriate people know about it, and forget about it.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I'm not a doctor, I didnt sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I did go to Community College (just for you UCLA) and am quite an awesome health care provider. A DNR will prevent CPR and intubation. It will not stop us from treating you or putting your oxygen mask back on. But if you are found without a pulse, we will just let you be.

BTW, you can rescind it at anytime. And you should also have a living will to prevent family from over riding your decisions or in case you are found without anyone seeing the DNR order. That way, if you choose, life support can be removed if it was started.

I have a living will, but my family also knows to pull the plug if I'm ever in that "spot"...........I couldn't imagine being where you are and I must say you are handling it better than I would

If you ever want to chat you can get a hold of me a my username at gmail.com

I gave my brother the POA—figures with the amount of life insurance I have my wife and stepdaughter would pull the plug if I sprained my ankle

Reactions: osceola74
thanks for the response everyone. Let's say hypothetical that I wanted to die, there is no way I could do it alone. Would there be a serious investigation into how given how far along i am? And what would be the best way?

thanks for the response everyone. Let's say hypothetical that I wanted to die, there is no way I could do it alone. Would there be a serious investigation into how given how far along i am? And what would be the best way?
Probably not something that should be discussed on a message board if really serious.

Hanging is en vogue.

Hanging is en vogue.
too-soon-too-soo.jpg

no not seriously contemplating assisted suicide, game of thrones hasn't ended yet.
To do it right, it has to be something that is quick. Pills and alcohol take too long and unless you lock yourself in a room where nobody knows where you are, you'll likely be found and revived.

True story--one of my first patients out of school was a woman who tried to kill herself with a gun. As luck would have it, she put the muzzle in her mouth and pulled the trigger. She shot off half her nose, her jaw, cheek and lost her left eye. But she lived. That's likely how my luck would go if I ever tried.

Or move to Oregon where euthanasia is legal.

Scottcu. My BIL that died from ALS had a DNR and actually died taking a shower with another BIL and a couple of his sons right there. Paramedics arrived and asked about the DNR; well the wife said he had one but could not produce it and had the paramedics intubate and he woke up in the hospital very pissed off. My only point is if you are serious about your DNR make sure whoever is handling it knows exactly how you feel and will follow through. Don't remember how far along you are but he was on a tube for feeding and meds; taking straight morphine every few hours. I don't envy you man this disease sucks big time; as I am sure you know.

Scottcu. My BIL that died from ALS had a DNR and actually died taking a shower with another BIL and a couple of his sons right there. Paramedics arrived and asked about the DNR; well the wife said he had one but could not produce it and had the paramedics intubate and he woke up in the hospital very pissed off. My only point is if you are serious about your DNR make sure whoever is handling it knows exactly how you feel and will follow through. Don't remember how far along you are but he was on a tube for feeding and meds; taking straight morphine every few hours. I don't envy you man this disease sucks big time; as I am sure you know.
In Florida, the paramedics look for the big, bright yellow paper that is supposed to be on the refrigerator. Put one there and have another signed to keep somewhere else in the house.

In Florida, the paramedics look for the big, bright yellow paper that is supposed to be on the refrigerator. Put one there and have another signed to keep somewhere else in the house.
This was Indy and the whole thing was a mess. New wife and a bunch of money involved. Sucked because my BIL was a great guy but in the end it was like a soap opera.

Reactions: NoleFan2U
I gave my brother the POA—figures with the amount of life insurance I have my wife and stepdaughter would pull the plug if I sprained my ankle

Your brother doesn’t happen to also sell insurance, does he...?

Reactions: ericram
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT