ADVERTISEMENT

Spoilers don't click here the Hate flows through me

Phinhead

Seminole Insider
Dec 1, 2005
"My Baby Girl" - Luke Skywalker

Vids of Han's execution can be found tonight, or you can listen to the audio of the Wookie howl. Patricide

I cried with the audio alone.

dotdv4.jpg

Wow, that was really good.

The only bad part to me was how everyone applauded each time a familiar character was seen for the first time.

Boy, Leia has aged much more than Han.

The distorted sound effects on Ren were well done; dude sounded uber creepy and evil, just his voice.

As soon as Han stepped out on that catwalk, it just seemed too much like Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon and you just knew. :(

Sssssssooooo, does Luke take the lightsabre or does he give it back to Rey?

Finn was a very atypical Star Wars character. Part hero, part comic relief. I liked him.

Reactions: goldmom and fsubey2
The thing has always bugged me about this franchise that they keep repeating certain plot elements.

Why did there have to be another death star? Okay this it was more powerful and was entire planet. But really the same concept.
Another evil character in a black mask? Really? Another emperor -like figure, another evil peer to the evil mask guy who will eventually be destroyed.
Is there no other way to defeat the "empire" other than to fly a spaceship inside a large structure?
Fight going on with light sabres at the same time as a dogfight/bombing run. Check.
Person of humble background on dessert planet who has the force but does not know it, also of unknown parentage...

Reactions: NoleGreg10
Overall, I did enjoy the movie. but another base that is a circle that can destroy planets and has weak spot that will blow it up inside out has been three times now. C'mon. I Didn't like how Rey went from not even knowing about the force or anything, to being an adept user to overwill guards and overpower Ren for a lightsaber. Hmm...

Reactions: DixieNoles
Sooo the question I know everyone wants answered. What happened to C3PO's arm?
It doesn't sound like there's going to be much of a story behind it:

"But what about those hints, mysteries and hanging questions. Like, say C3PO’s new red arm?

“Moments like Threepio’s arm came from the desire to, well, mark time. It’s almost like...”

Unknown events have transpired?

“Exactly. You know the moment when you reconnect with someone after years apart? You see the lines on their face, you think, oh, they’ve lived 10 years!”"

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...c-3pos-red-arm-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens

You mean like Carrie fisher's face almost looked cgi. Just to look the normal amount of old?

Overall, I did enjoy the movie. but another base that is a circle that can destroy planets and has weak spot that will blow it up inside out has been three times now. C'mon. I Didn't like how Rey went from not even knowing about the force or anything, to being an adept user to overwill guards and overpower Ren for a lightsaber. Hmm...

I assumed that since she wasn't familiar or aware of the force... that she couldn't tap into her powers. Much like Luke in IV, as soon as she became aware and believed, it flowed.

I absolutely loved the film.

A couple theories I have now after seeing it and from what I picked up on during the film:

A) anyone else think the new Supreme Leader is actually Palpatine? Different actor in Andy Serkis doing the voice but the damaged face and appearance to him makes me think Palp survived.

B) is everyone assuming Rey is Luke's offspring now? Seems that way with all of the clues they're leaving us.

My guess is Rey is Han and Leia's daughter.

Did Han shout out Ben when he called out to Kylo Ren?

Who was the old man with the map? Was he there to guard Rey like Obi-Wan with Luke?

Reactions: Bartdog
[ok somehow one of my work goals got pasted in here. no idea how it actually got posteld... stupid chrome]

Last edited:
I liked it. It borrows A LOT from A New Hope.

I now see why they removed the extended universe. In the EU, Luke has a son named Ben. Which makes more sense Luke would name a son Ben than Han and Leia.

Mental note for all aspiring empires...don't build planet destroying machines as long as X-Wings are still in existence.

Who was the old man with the map? Was he there to guard Rey like Obi-Wan with Luke?

Yes, he shouted "Ben". I highly doubt she is Han's daughter... they've left too much of a trail to Luke with the flashbacks and the sensory to Anakin/Luke's light saber.

The old man was Lor San Tekka... all I know is he was a follower of the Force (from Wookiepedia). I think it's plausible Luke placed him there as a watcher over her. I'm guessing Luke may have left her there as a young child when he exiled himself. Just a guess.

You mean like Carrie fisher's face almost looked cgi. Just to look the normal amount of old?

There was also a scene when Han and Rey looked back at Finn and Chewy where Rey's face didn't look like her own. It was a split second.

Yeah. My guess is Rey is definitely in the Skywalker bloodline. I originally thought Luke's daughter but then remembered Jedi's are not supposed to have girlfriends or romance. So now thinking she is Kylo Ren's twin similar to the way Luke and Leia were twins.

Ren did seem to be the weakest villain of all of them. His mask even was not as cool as Vader's. Vader and Darth Maul were badasses. This guy was weak getting beat by someone who had 0 training. She either has to be the most powerful user of the force even stronger than Anakin or Luke or Ren is terribly weak having been trained by both the good and dark sides.

Well Snoke revealed Ren hadn't completed his training...I'm not convinced Snoke is even Sith, he relied on Ren to tell him how powerful Rey is.

The Emperor as a true Sith, not only would have sensed it first, he would have forseen it.

Reactions: BelemNole
I understand he hadn't completed his training but he at least had some. She had absolutely none and thought it was an urban legend until Han told her it was real. Pretty weak villain in this one. Don't get me wrong I still liked the movie.

Reactions: Garnet Hammer
Yeah. My guess is Rey is definitely in the Skywalker bloodline. I originally thought Luke's daughter but then remembered Jedi's are not supposed to have girlfriends or romance. So now thinking she is Kylo Ren's twin similar to the way Luke and Leia were twins.

Well, it runs in his bloodline as his dad broke that rule to have him and Leia.

The more I think about it, the more I think Snoke is either Palpatine or Darth Plageuis - both were so fascinated with stopping death or coming back from dead.

We shall see.

Saw it last night, and the whole family enjoyed it. Seems the only real picky thing people are asking about in the things I read is how Rey seemed to pick up the lightsaber skills so easily. Pretty minor thing and certainly did not affect my overall opinion of the movie. My bet is she is Luke's daughter, and he left her on Jakuu to protect her. I can't imagine she is a Solo, as Han and Leia would have obviously known they had another child.

While I know Disney tossed out all the extended universe stuff, within that universe, Luke did make changes to the Jedi Order so that they could marry and have children. It's not far fetched that he did the something similar in the new canon. In the EU, Han and Leia had twins (boy and girl). The boy (Jason) started out with good intentions, but ultimately turned to the dark side, killed Luke's wife along the way, and was eventually killed by his sister.

The thing has always bugged me about this franchise that they keep repeating certain plot elements.

Why did there have to be another death star? Okay this it was more powerful and was entire planet. But really the same concept.
Another evil character in a black mask? Really? Another emperor -like figure, another evil peer to the evil mask guy who will eventually be destroyed.
Is there no other way to defeat the "empire" other than to fly a spaceship inside a large structure?
Fight going on with light sabres at the same time as a dogfight/bombing run. Check.
Person of humble background on dessert planet who has the force but does not know it, also of unknown parentage...

They actually made a joke in film about this death star being bigger, an obvious joke and nostalgic moment. But it does make sense considering all the other ships were the same. While time had passed technology had not altered all that much, except bigger lol. Yes, Kylo Ren wants to be Vader and thus the dark mask with the voice modifier. It appears in this universe kids with exceptional gifts with the force end up getting seduced by the dark side. That must be the inspiration to keep some in the family line hidden out of reach of Snoke or Palpatine.

Ren had no intention of killing Rey. He intended to capture her. He was injured by chewie. Emotionally off balance, having just killed his father and trying not to kill someone who his master wished to remain alive.

Ren had no intention of killing Rey. He intended to capture her. He was injured by chewie. Emotionally off balance, having just killed his father and trying not to kill someone who his master wished to remain alive.

Good points

JJ Abrams said Kylo Ren is not a sith. Yes, he has some powers of the force, but if the force is strong in Ren it's conceivable she could counter his powers even while not having Jedi training. He still had some powers over her, but not as many as a being without the force.

Last edited:
I read some theory that she might have been one of Luke's other students that was training while young and either does not remember or has suppressed things. After all, Ben Solo cannot be the only new Jedi that was being trained. There have to be others out there Luke was training before going into exile. It might explain why she is able to use the force so well.

Btw. While I think it is an incredibly harsh turn events that Han and leia's child kills him. Han went out heroically in my opinion. He knew what he was walking into, how unlikely it was that he would succeed. And yet, he saw his son. He loved his son. He tried to save him. And even after he was was dealt a mortal wound, he still showed that. That his death will further ren's decent into the dark side is a cruel twist of the knife.

Chewie did not intervene because he knew what was at stake. How cool was the move to action afterwards? Chewbacca definitely had a nice role in the movie.

Enjoyed seeing Han, Leia, chewie and Luke. Don't like that happily ever after didn't happen. Seems like they earned it.

Even though the plot was a rehash, it is sort of was explained. Ren trying to finish what Vader started...makes sense that there would be a repeat in tactics.

Overall, I thought this movie captured the visual style of the original trilogy. It felt like a dirty, grimy universe.

The prequel trilogy had its moments, high points being the lightsaber battles. Obi wan, qui gon and mal battle was great, Obi wan versus anakin was great, anakin's disposition/turn w padme leading in to the "I hate you" was all great. The prequel, however, never captured the humor of the originals, messed up in plotting and logic severely, and didn't create an adequately menacing transition to darth Vader (killing children is his most successful act? Along with taking windy by surprise?). The new film did best, in my opinion, of capturing the appropriate tone to Star Wars in no small way aided by Harrison ford. Rey was well acted. The droids weren't overly anthropamorphized as they were in the prequels.

I don't think Lucas could have made this movie. If he had done this instead of the prequels, I don't believe it would have been well received because of the rehashed plot.

Ben solo seems more evil than anakin. Though I guess we don't know what hardship he endured. Anakin's motives were to control things to prevent the death of his wife. Solo's seem to be much more for the sake of power at this point. Also it seems solo should have grown up in privilege w his mother, father and uncle being pretty much the most revered people in his universe. Anakin grew up a slave, his mother inexplicably left in slavery by Jedi to die at the hands of primitives, thrown into war as a teenager, manipulated as a child all the way thru adulthood by a malevant and cunningly evil sith master, watching his wife die due to his actions to save her....

I really enjoyed the movie

It is a shame we couldn't see Timothy zahn's trilogy. That was great. A really rich and deep villain. A nice continuation of the characters without emotionally scarring them. No Death Star or planet killing weapons.

Yes. I am aware I am a nerd.

Last edited:
Two thoughts:

1. A major factor in Kylo Ren's path to the darkside was probably due to Han being a lousy father. The man is a scoundrel afterall. Which leads to:

2. Han damn well knew that Ren's redemption wouldn't be possible unless he was dead. That's why he held the saber for his boy to do the deed, to remove that hatred from his heart. Solo is the master at survival, we all knew his death would come under his own terms.

Just saw it. Hard for me to LOVE it when Han dies, since he's one of my favorite movie characters ever.

I did enjoy the movie quite a bit and was satisfied. Look forward to seeing it again.

Reactions: NatureNole

That was my thoughts as well, he was clearly not focused. He kept punching his wound trying to tap into adrenaline to defeat his foes, not the force.

On another note, I posted the following on FB on a dare from my boss who has no interest in Star Wars (and hadn't seen any spoilers).

"I can't believe they killed Han & Chewie. So ticket right now!"

People were ready to lynch mob me. I can't believe I was actually half right. Despite completely making it up, I felt kinda bad. Le Sigh.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT