ADVERTISEMENT

thank god the world cup is over!!!

dr.rob

Star Player
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2003
now it makes perfect sense why the world is in turmoil. the whole world thinks soccer is the only sport on earth. all those people watch a game for over 90 minutes that has about 4 second of real excitement. then the fans leave with all kinds of penned up emotions. they leave and beat each other up. if they only would all become Seminole football fans, the world would be a much better and safer place.

Originally posted by dr.rob:
now it makes perfect sense why the world is in turmoil. the whole world thinks soccer is the only sport on earth. all those people watch a game for over 90 minutes that has about 4 second of real excitement. then the fans leave with all kinds of penned up emotions. they leave and beat each other up. if they only would all become Seminole football fans, the world would be a much better and safer place.
The Truth!

I loved watching the world cup but now that it is over I am looking forward to college football season.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Whats the point of this post..? Its a month of players competing for their entire country, shame you couldn't enjoy it...

Originally posted by kowtownnole:

I would rate the World cup above NFL, MLBB and NBA but well below College Football
Agreed. World cup is second only to FSU football.

For all the soccer mom's & dads that have spent months of their lives watching this sport every weekend, God Love You!

I'm sure your children loved playing and are better for it but the sport sucks when it comes to entertainment value on TV.

I was hoping for penalty kicks just so I could have some excitement.

and the announcers - such deep commentary - "if they cant score a goal they cant win"! with an emphasis on "a".

grin.r191677.gif

For your viewing pleasure...

It is like the Olympics but focused on a single sport. Pretty epic watching these players, some of whom are very wealthy, leave it all on the field playing for their country. A lot of close games and drama. But it is still a sport and that final game could have gone either way. I can see fans being bummed to lose but to see some of these folks boohoo is pretty amazing............

Personally, I'm fascinated by soccer and the World Cup! Not by the action on the field but rather by trying to understand how so many people can watch the sport! I mean - nothing happens! Nothing! Ever! As Jay Pritchett said on Modern Family, " I prefer a sport where something actually happens"!!!

Originally posted by westpalmnole:
Personally, I'm fascinated by soccer and the World Cup! Not by the action on the field but rather by trying to understand how so many people can watch the sport! I mean - nothing happens! Nothing! Ever! As Jay Pritchett said on Modern Family, " I prefer a sport where something actually happens"!!!
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
It was hard to watch ... So many anguished faces of players who were nearly crippled for life but some how, miraculously!, they were able to continue playing out of sheer heart, determination and love of country. I had no idea soccer was such a violent sport.

Re: thank god the world cup is over!!![/URL]kowtownnole posted on 7/14/2014...

I would rate the World cup above NFL, MLBB and NBA but well below College Football

I would rate the World Cup and soccer in general below college football, the NFL, MLB, college BB, college basketball, NBA, hockey, tennis, track and field, volleyball, lacrosse, and watching paint dry.

I was watching Bryant Gumbel Real Sports on HBO and he had a piece on game fixing. I cant recall the exact stat but it was something like 35% of the European matches in all leagues were fixed by paying off players or refs.

The amount of money wagered on soccer world wide is absurd - bigger than big business.

I'm with Jam and elon on this. Not a soccer guy but watched more matches than not. Wasn't necessarily pinned to the set but kept up with the matches. Some pretty amazing athletic feats by the players and just an amazing spectacle overall. Imagine being on Copacabana Beach with those crowds!

Yes, thank God it's over. Now, I won't have to hear folks who hate soccer cry and moan about an event and sport they don't understand.

Big soccer fan here.... I love many sports and the beautiful game is one of them. Yeah it doesn't have the mind numbing violence that football has. Nor does it have lawsuits from people who used to play because the hits they took during the game is turning them into a vegetable.

I would probably not watch much if in the US, but have been in St. Maarten/St. Martin for the past three weeks. It is half French and half Dutch. These people go nuts over futeball and it has been fun watching the games at the various bars/restaurants. It's a tough life but someone has to do it (at least that is what I told my wife).

I didn't watch 1 second of WC. To me, it's like watching paint dry. But I do think those guys are tremendous athletes to be able to run for 90 minutes.

Bellynole, Not crying or moaning but just scratching my head over the interest in this sport! (Not flee related either) But hey, I don't judge!! Watch whatever you want!

Originally posted by Semokin:

I didn't watch 1 second of WC. To me, it's like watching paint dry. But I do think those guys are tremendous athletes to be able to run for 90 minutes.
agree on great athletes but rather watch bowling

Originally posted by Lhm nole:
Originally posted by Semokin:

agree on great athletes but rather watch bowling

Posted from wireless.rivals.com
It depends who is playing on the excitement. The NEtherlands vs. Argentina game was boring, as they both were content just hanging back and passing the ball in the back with no pressure. The finals was a little better as Germany pressed the action to not allow them to just pass the ball around in the back.

I like playing soccer, but I agree for the most part at the pro level it can be boring to watch especially a full game. I liken it to baseball. Both boring to watch but fun to play.

Originally posted by jamnolfin:
Its weird, I loved the World Cup and dont like soccer. I could never watch less meaningful games but the WC is a great event
Agreed. Although I still can't sit down and watch an entire game (maybe 2nd half of US game), you have to appreciate the magnitude of the event. I was interested to see the results and highlights. The fake injuries are pathetic but it's still a very cool sporting event IMHO.

extremely American thing to say OP lol. While soccer is the largest sport in the world our American brothers and sisters continue to think its not worth watching. I guess the roughly 7 billion + people who find it great are not watching the same sporting event. Some context- the younger generation or as the are coined "millennials" love soccer and its popularity is growing every year. What the World Cup does for our country as far as soccer exposure goes is spectacular.

On another note can you actually say you would rather watch a 4 hr baseball game on TV than a 105 min (total with halftime) soccer match??? ...If so I would be very surprised. As a Millennial myself I would say that baseball used to be a great sport to watch, but with what they have done to the pitching as far as using 5-7 pitchers a game is just nonsense and pretty hard to watch.

The World Cup is comprised of most of the best athletes in the world playing on the same field and that is quite awesome if you are a sports fan. We have our NFL and College Football, but do you know any other country that cares about those two sports? The fact that soccer commands the audience that it does is just down right impressive. I have studied Mega Events and I can assure you the NFL or college football would never compare. The fact that Soccer has a Mega Event says all you need to know.

Sorry for the rant....just my opinion

Originally posted by Swain102:

extremely American thing to say OP lol. While soccer is the largest sport in the world our American brothers and sisters continue to think its not worth watching. I guess the roughly 7 billion + people who find it great are not watching the same sporting event. Some context- the younger generation or as the are coined "millennials" love soccer and its popularity is growing every year. What the World Cup does for our country as far as soccer exposure goes is spectacular.

On another note can you actually say you would rather watch a 4 hr baseball game on TV than a 105 min (total with halftime) soccer match??? ...If so I would be very surprised. As a Millennial myself I would say that baseball used to be a great sport to watch, but with what they have done to the pitching as far as using 5-7 pitchers a game is just nonsense and pretty hard to watch.

The World Cup is comprised of most of the best athletes in the world playing on the same field and that is quite awesome if you are a sports fan. We have our NFL and College Football, but do you know any other country that cares about those two sports? The fact that soccer commands the audience that it does is just down right impressive. I have studied Mega Events and I can assure you the NFL or college football would never compare. The fact that Soccer has a Mega Event says all you need to know.

Sorry for the rant....just my opinion
Yea, but you forgot we got NASCAR too!

I tried to watch some of the WC but I can't make heads or tails out of that game. I know every other country in the world loves it , but they also like the mm system instead of feet and inches. I put soccer in with golf , swimming, and bowling as sports that I just can't sit and watch.
just need for football, the real football, season to hurry and get here--along with fall weather.

Originally posted by guynole:
Whats the point of this post..? Its a month of players competing for their entire country, shame you couldn't enjoy it...
Agree with this post. I'd say FSU football comes first, but my love for soccer and the World Cup is a very close second. Ridiculous we have to bash on countries for following their national teams play in a tournament that only comes around once every 4 years. Jeez.

What really gets me more than the quad-annual media types saying how soccer has finally turned a corner in this country are those who act as though the sport is over the head of those who criticize it. It can be played by anybody with a foot and a ball and you don't need a third grade education to watch or understand it, so please enough of trying to make it out to be a sport of the enlightened.

Beano Cook once said, "soccer is the reason Europe has had so many wars". Of course he also said, after the hostages were released in Iran in 1981 and granted lifetime passes to major league baseball games by the commissioner, "haven't they suffered enough".

Maybe if the US won it occasionally folks here would be more interested (talking men's team, not women's). I do agree that the acting like I'm dead over every minor injury is a bit much. They are hauled off the field on a stretcher and then run in on the next stoppage.

I'm glad the World Cup is over as well and in three weeks we will watch the football that really matters.

Man some of you soccer haters are getting really annoying. How would you feel if threads belittling NASCAR, MLB, or the NBA were made? We get it, some of you dislike soccer, but stop saying "oh now we can stop pretending to care" because a lot more Americans like soccer than you think.

I am not buying into "American's aren't interested" anymore. Last night, I watched an MLS regular season game here in Seattle with 65,000 other "interested" fans at CenturyLink Field.

Originally posted by Swain102:

The fact that soccer commands the audience that it does is just down right impressive. I have studied Mega Events and I can assure you the NFL or college football would never compare. The fact that Soccer has a Mega Event says all you need to know.
See this is the fallacy. Soccer "commands" it because it's part of the culture. It doesn't change the value of the sport because more people like it.

Does Beyonce possess more musical artistry because the culture gravitates that way? No, absolutely not. Justin Bieber? The Transformers movies? Come on.

Assessing a sport by its popularity is silly. The OP is equally silly - I'm a live and let live kind of guy. People who pine for soccer interest this or that or American football interest this or that is mostly just jealousy.

I'm not a soccer fan and watched little of the matches but would never hate on someone for being passionate about their sport...fan is short for fanatic and trying to logically justify this stuff is very sad.

Originally posted by HardiNole:
I am not buying into "American's aren't interested" anymore. Last night, I watched an MLS regular season game here in Seattle with 65,000 other "interested" fans at CenturyLink Field.
Can't wait until Atlanta's team joins. Also looking forward to Orlando entering the MLS next year....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT