ADVERTISEMENT

The best 5 Restaurants in Florida

I.AM.A.SEMINOLE

Freshman
Oct 19, 2007
This is basically a IMHO guess work. The Berns thread really got me thinking about all the great places I've eaten around Florida and how I would truly rate the experiences. I thought about it and a top 5 is really tough. Almost impossible to judge when you think about all the food across the state. Heres my most enjoyable

1. The Ravenous Pig, Winter Park
2. Victoria and Albert's, Orlando
3. Pub Belly, Miami
4. Buccan, Palm Beach
5. El Siboney, Key West

This is my top 5 favorites.

If you're traveling around in-state, Florida Trends is a pretty good source for info; they do an annual review of the State's restaurants & award the top places the "Golden Spoon" award. They also have a "Hall of Fame" category that a restaurant qualifies for after receiving a given # of annual awards.

Their website has a listing of them by city.

Nice idea for a post...my top 5 are:

1. Valentino's, Fort Lauderdale
2. Prime 112, South Beach
3. Matthew's, Jacksonville/San Marco
4. Victoria & Alberts, WDW
5. Yard Bird, South Beach

5. Sonny's Tallahassee
4. Taco Bell Ybor City
3. Captain D's Apalachicola
2. Subway Miami
1. Arby's Orlando

Hate to put two BBQ joints on my list but they are that good...

This post was edited on 2/20 12:29 PM by cmanole

I am by no means a Florida restaurant connoisseur. I travel every week for work and really enjoy eating at home in Orlando. However, here are my restaurant recommendations from the spots I have eaten at and enjoyed:

Tampa
* Berns Steakhouse

Orlando
* Scratch
* Prato (Winterpark)
* Ravenous Pig
* Cask and Larder
* Bull & Bear (Waldorf Astoria near Disney)

Miami
* Joe's Stone Crab (my favorite restaurant in the state)

Originally posted by FSU_Chris:
I am by no means a Florida restaurant connoisseur. I travel every week for work and really enjoy eating at home in Orlando.

Orlando
* Scratch
* Prato (Winterpark)
* Ravenous Pig
* Cask and Larder
Those are great pics for Orlando. Prato has become my go-to place for taking people when they're in from out of town to showcase the food (and atmosphere due to its location) of Orlando. For as much as I eat out in Orlando, however, I had somehow never heard of Scratch? I will have to check it out, thanks.

Originally posted by cmanole:
5. Sonny's Tallahassee
4. Taco Bell Ybor City
2. Pollo Tropicale Miami
1. Arby's Orlando

This is crap. Long John Silver's blows the doors off Captain D's.

Originally posted by Semiologist:

Originally posted by cmanole:
5. Sonny's Tallahassee
4. Taco Bell Ybor City
2. Pollo Tropicale Miami
1. Arby's Orlando

This is crap. Long John Silver's blows the doors off Captain D's.
Indeed. And if you're in Miami, you gotta eat at Miami Subs.

Ristorante Claretta in Palm City is one of my favorites. If you're ever in the Treasure Coast you've got to try it. Lots of celebs eat there, including Obama last year.

Which is the restaurant that invented the Cuban sandwich?

3401898489.gif

Prime 112 South Beach

Smith & Wollensky South Beach

Joe's Stone Crab

Jack's Hamburgers Pompano Beach or Ft Lauderdale

The hamburgers there are so good, its like Jesus is working in the kitchen.

Correct sir. Except for school down in Palm Beach from 06-08.

I also love Bull and Bear I've had a couple friends work there. Edwards in Rosemary Beach. Iron in Pensacola. Type by Blake Rushing in Pensacola. Some of the best Sushi I've had anywhere was at Zuma in Miami.

Another good one would be who serves up the best cocktails in Florida.

I really love Mandarin Hide in St Pete. Old Hickory and 5 1/2 both in Pensacola. Stache in Ft. Lauderdale. Dos Gatos in Jax. Ice House in St. Augustine, Bleau Bar and The Dutch in Miami.

I tend to like authentic Italian restaurants, so these skew in that direction.

Fazoli's
Olive Garden
Buca de Faggoncini
Sbarro
and for a non-Italian choice, I'm going Mexican, with Chili's

Just to keep the conversation going, I'm going to go in a different route. It's tough to say what the "best" restaurant in Florida or anywhere is because they're usually all over the top foodie places where there's 35 ingredients and 12 prep steps per dish and if you go on a day where the principal chef is not in the kitchen cooking your meal it can be disastrous or at least underwhelming. That could be why I didn't like highly rated places like Kai in Arizona. And when I travel, I've learned to skip the highly rated foodie places (which just like fashion usually all follow the same trends) unless there's something unique about it and instead go with local food items or cuisines. For example I was much happier with the Johns Roast Pork Sammy and cheesesteak I got in Philly than the two highly rated restaurants we went to and I much preferred Chap's pit beef and the G&M crab cakes in Baltimore to the foodie places we went to in DC.

Instead I'll put forward my ten favorite Florida meals (which are easily repeatable). I'm numbering them to keep track and separate but these are in no particular order.

1) The grand tour and steak experience at Bern's Steak House in Tampa. Enjoy the full tour plus the dessert room and then sit down for an amazing steak. This is covered well by the thread about it elsewhere in the LR just for it so I'll move on.

2) Sitting along the Apalachicola River on the deck at Boss Oyster eating while you watch the working oyster and shrimp boats cruise by or even pull up to your dock to drop off seafood. Sipping on an American swill beer (Bud or Coors of course) while starting with a dozen raw oysters that are usually the best in the country if not the world (a little weak this year due to chicanery by Georgians controlling the waterflow). Then advance to a dozen of the oysters Japonnaise (raw with heaping spoonfuls of flying fish roe, some wasabi and ponzu sauce), a mixed dozen of three different styles of cooked oysters (they have over 20 preps more than any other oyster bar I've been to) and maybe a pound of fresh steamed gulf shrimp to split with your loved one. Finish off with an adequate piece of key lime pie and you're in "Real Florida" heaven.

3) Another classic restaurant experience I would put in the top 10 is grabbing overpriced stone crabs in Miami Beach at Joe's Stone Crab. It's not exactly a "tourist trap" but it's basically the city of Miami wrapped up into one experience. You see plenty of over the top Italian sports cars and richie rich's mingling with the blue hairs and the tourons all while enjoying really good seafood at four times the price you would pay in Cedar Key or Apalachicola. Definitely stick with the "Joe's Classic" and get everything you would want including the stone crab claws, the quite good hash browns, the delicious creamed spinach and the adequate key lime pie. It basically summarizes Miami on a plate (unless there's a place that serves a second plate with a jerk chicken wing stabbing into a plate of arroz con pollo).

4) The best Amish food I've ever had was not in Pennsylvania or Ohio, but in Sarasota at Yoder's Restaurant. It's tough to pass up many of the Amish classics, but one of the best meals you will ever have is to start with a slice of Amish bread and spread on some of Yoder's homemade applebutter. Then for your main course stick with the best fried chicken in Florida, Yoder's "broasted" aka pressure-fried chicken. It's the only chicken in Florida that has consistently juicy white meat breasts thanks to the quick high pressure cooking treatment. For sides you should go with the potato cakes topped with sour cream or more of the amazing homemade applebutter and then also order a side of dumplings cooked in chicken stock. But the real star (other than the applebutter which will make ANYTHING taste amazing) is the pies. It's a real conundrum as far as what to get but to eat here without ordering pie should be a first degree felony. If you have a real sweet tooth then the traditional Amish shoofly pie with a side of homemade ice cream to tone down the sugar would be my suggestion OR the absolutely stunning butterscotch cream pie. If you want it so tart your teeth hurt, then their rhubarb pie is for you. Want something in between, then their rightfully famous peanut butter pie (which is not ridiculously rich like most peanut butter pies, its actually a homemade vanilla mousse for the most part topped with a mix of peanut butter and powdered sugar that has been blended into little PB fudge balls) is for you. Really, you CANNOT go wrong with any pie you order, the only thing you will regret is passing on the other 30 pies available.

5) Speaking of Cedar Key, one of if not THE best dish in all of Florida if not the US can be found in this quaint little fishing village. Stroll the little boardwalk on the water and then head back for the best clam chowder and arguably the best soup you will find anywhere. Tony's is a three time (in a row) world champion at the Clam Chowder World Championships held every year throughout New England but with competitors from all over the US. Not only did Tony's win three straight years, but they put in a special rule just for the restaurant where they "retired" his recipe as Grand Champion and would not allow him to compete using the same style of recipe anymore as they were tired of giving the prize to a tiny 54 seat restaurant in bumble*&^% Florida. So OBVIOUSLY, you know what to order. Get a cup (or even a bowl) of the clam chowder and then you'll be surprised to find out the rest of his menu of fried and broiled Florida seafood is actually pretty good as well. They're not the stars though, just good solid A+ seafood shack food and the world's best clam chowder.

6) Any list that left out Florida's best restaurant for the price would be worthless. And that best restaurant for the price is McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola. Tacky decor and world-famous incorrect restroom signage aside, this is simply a great, fun restaurant to visit and it will not break your bank. Slam home an Irish Wake to get the buzz going and then start with some reuben egg rolls for the table (a dish that shouldn't work but absolutely does) and maybe a craftbrewed onsite Irish Red Ale to wash them down. Then grab one of the best steaks in Florida (certainly for the price) or maybe one of their fantastic burgers if your wallet is feeling light and then enjoy a nice Irish Porter with it. McGuire's is not a romantic candlelit affair, it is a place for fun! Either with your significant other or a group. Don't worry about dessert, you will not have room.

7) Back to Tampa (and we will be back, I just realized I will need to expand this list to 20 to bring in more South Florida and Orlando places otherwise, it would be a very Tampa-centric list) for Mr. Dunderbak's and the best beer list in Florida (yes even over Redlight Redlight in Otown). Don't believe me? Then click here http://www.whatsontap.buildabeer.org/WhatsOnTapAt.php?BarID=USAFL00014 and realize that's just the tap list and a small percentage of the beers on bottle doesn't count the literally hundreds of other varieties they have in the bottle (they used to have a complete list and then gave up trying to keep it updated, it is ENORMOUS). But this isn't best bar, this is best dining experience. While you listen to a live oompah music in the center, grab your first beer and some authentic German currywurst with your choice of sausage (I'd go with the weisswurst or smoked bauernwurst). For seconds and thirds it's more beer and either the best fried Zigeuner Schnitzel or Jagerschnitzle around with some of the best warm German potato salad and red cabbage outside of German (and yes, much better than anything in Hellen Georgia). For dessert get one more beer and some of the bayrischer apfelstrudel.

8) The Sunday Brunch at Blue Heaven in Key West is definitely in my top ten of dining experiences for the state of Florida. See if your loved one or friends will let you split the shrimp and grits AND the famous eggs benedict with lime hollandaise sauce. Grab an actually quite good key lime pie for dessert. The free-roaming roosters, sixtoed cats and *&^&*y white reggae or Jimmy Buffetesque "island music" played on the live stage means that this is a quintessential Key West experience.

9) Returning to Tampa yet again for a visit to the oldest restaurant in Florida, the original Columbia in Ybor. Go for the Spanish/Cuban dishes that have been ripped off by lesser restaurants for over one hundred years but stay for the live flamenco dancers. Order some of the white sangria/sangria de cava made from Spanish sparkling wine and Spanish brandy plus fresh fruit made tableside and get some of the 1905 Salad that USA Today labeled one of the top 10 salads in the US. For your main course, the made entirely to order from scratch paella (I prefer the seafood variety) is a must even if it takes several extra minutes over the other courses, but that's what the Flamenco show is for and you should use the extra time to order more white sangria or upgrade to some tableside mojitos. For dessert, the crema catalana or the flan cannot be beaten.

10) The Yearling in Hawthorne is redneck Florida food at its best with live blues and occassionally bluegrass music played on stage. Ordering the venison, gator or frog legs with some American swill beer (only Bud or other adjunct "lagers" match with the cracker food).

Now that I've done 10, I've noticed I really need another 10 to cover Miami and Orlando as I wouldn't have any of those topping these 10 and Hellas in Tarpon Springs and Mai-Kai in Ft Lauderdale would definitely be in my top 20 dining experiences as well. So I'll come back and add 10 more when I come back.

This post was edited on 2/21 11:24 AM by FSUTribe76

Good list Tribe. While I love Blue Heaven, the best brunch in the state is the Sundy House in Delray. Best burger is either Le Tub or Charm City. Boss Oysters in the panhandle are great. Have not done Victoria and Albert's, but will soon. Joe's, Bern's all live up to the hype. With Miami and Disney, we really have a great food scene in this state.

Upon Mr. Tribe's recommendation, I'll try Mr. Dunderbak's.

I'll give my quick list -

1) Skyway Jack's in St. Pete for Breakfast. Used to go there the day after - place was originally down at Oneil's marina and the portions were fit for hungry shrimpers returning after a night's work.

2) Don Pan's cuban sandwiches - So good for the money. The place right next to it at Kennedy and Dale Mabry is very good too.

3) For More upscale, hard to say, but I really like Jackson's just for the combination of food and view. Not terribly upscale, but nice anyway.

4) Used to love Jim and Milts breakfasts in Tally. Had 2 paper routes my last year or so of school and it was a great stop after doing the papers and before class....not so much anymore.

5) Monk's burgers in Tally for burgers...that I guess is no longer there...over near high road and Tharpe.

As for Blue Heaven, love that place, but the wait is so long......

Originally posted by skramer100:
Good list Tribe. While I love Blue Heaven, the best brunch in the state is the Sundy House in Delray. Best burger is either Le Tub or Charm City. Boss Oysters in the panhandle are great. Have not done Victoria and Albert's, but will soon. Joe's, Bern's all live up to the hype. With Miami and Disney, we really have a great food scene in this state.

Totally agree on the Sundy House.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by NoleGrad83:

All lists are bogus without OSteens from St. Augustine.
+1

I went to Dunderbak's in Tampa once. From the story I was told, it has evolved more into a restaurant over the years from the original deli concept it started out as. The food was very good.

In the JAX area, we have a small chain, European Street Café, that used to be Dunderbak's franchisees back in the day. They broke off and became E-Street but kept the core idea of the original Dunderbak's. Their beer selection and food are fantastic.

Has anybody been to Beach Bistro on Anna Maria Island? Sounds like they get good reviews from Zagat, who says they are their #1 restaurant in the Tampa/Sarasota area. Looks like a pretty decent tasting menu for $100.

Originally posted by I.AM.A.SEMINOLE:
Not a bad list tribe.

I hope one day I can cook for you when you venture back over to PC.
Absolutely, what sucks for me is that I was just over there (to go to Grayton) last week and couldn't remember which place you said you worked at so we just ended up at Dusty's as Hunt's was ridiculously overfilled. And then this past weekend, we drove through it again as we wanted oysters on the way to Pensacola and tried to get into Hunts again but at 2 pm on a Sat the wait was still well over an hour so I've completely sworn off Hunts for all time not because it's bad but because it's quite good but not worth a 1.5 to 2 hour wait for simple oysters).

We should be back the last weekend in April or first weekend in May. What's the name of your place again and I'll put it on my calendar.

This post was edited on 2/23 11:43 AM by FSUTribe76

Next time go to genes its in Millville. To me it's up there with Boss and Indian Pass. I do enjoy Dustys also.

My place is g.foleys. By that time I should have some really good in season stuff on the menu for a decent little tasting. Just let me know when your coming. I'll make it worth while.

Originally posted by KelloggNole:

Has anybody been to Beach Bistro on Anna Maria Island? Sounds like they get good reviews from Zagat, who says they are their #1 restaurant in the Tampa/Sarasota area. Looks like a pretty decent tasting menu for $100.
I have and don't see how they would rate it anywhere near that. Salt inside the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island is top shelf, Berns is as well.

Next time go to genes its in Millville. To me it's up there with Boss and Indian Pass. I do enjoy Dustys also.

My place is g.foleys. By that time I should have some really good in season stuff on the menu for a decent little tasting. Just let me know when your coming. I'll make it worth while.
Thanks for the invite, I added your restaurant to my iPhone calendar to Pop up the Tuesday of the last week of April so I can be sure to check in with you before heading over that weekend or the next. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll definitely check out Genes next time. I've always preferred Hunts to Dusty's, Shuckems and the other oyster bars I've tried right in the area but that's because the Shuckers were fast and usually "accidentally" miscounted the oysters for a bigger tip and the product ie the oysters themselves were really top quality. But to wait two hours plus for raw oysters is ridiculous so I'm not even going to try going back to Hunts again. Two weekends ago we accidentally tried to go during Mardi Gras but we came back this past weekend "on our way" (ie a big wasteful side trip) to Pensacola but I thought surely a Sat at 2:30 pm would be quiet enough we could get in...but nope it was as crazy as dinner time and we had over 20 parties ahead of us. So never again to Hunts. Meanwhile later that night at Peg Leg Petes in Pensacola we just literally walked right in at about 7. So Genes it is.

Sweet, sounds good.

Genes has been a locals place for years. Sweet Magnolias down the road is good as well. Genes is very small, smaller than hunts but usually only locals eat there. If the oysters ain't good, Gene will close his doors until they are good, so call ahead just to make sure he's open. He's usually sitting on a rocking chair out front. If you get a chance have a chat with him. He's a all cash deal type of guy. It's cash only as well.

Oh, and not to mention it is the highest rated restaurant on Trip Advisor, Google, and Urban Spoon in PC.

Funny story...my wife loves oysters, we spent 10 days in NYC last year and went to the Grand Central Oyster Bar. Which was excellent, in the middle of our meal I said to her "this place is really fantastic" she replys yeah... "but it ain't Genes." In honesty the place really is just that good.

Sweet, sounds good.

Genes has been a locals place for years. Sweet Magnolias down the road is good as well. Genes is very small, smaller than hunts but usually only locals eat there. If the oysters ain't good, Gene will close his doors until they are good, so call ahead just to make sure he's open. He's usually sitting on a rocking chair out front. If you get a chance have a chat with him. He's a all cash deal type of guy. It's cash only as well.

Oh, and not to mention it is the highest rated restaurant on Trip Advisor, Google, and Urban Spoon in PC.

Funny story...my wife loves oysters, we spent 10 days in NYC last year and went to the Grand Central Oyster Bar. Which was excellent, in the middle of our meal I said to her "this place is really fantastic" she replys yeah... "but it ain't Genes." In honesty the place really is just that good.
So far I've yet to find an oyster better than those Virginica's from Apalachicola (usually, like I said this year the crop was tiny and not really that good) when I allegedly had them. So it's not surprising your wife likes the local oyster bars, you've got amazing product at your disposal.

GCOB is equally great because it lets you try a lot of different species and subspecies from completely different waters. It's also the only place I was able to try the real famous Belon oysters from France (I have had either Canadian or US grown flat oysters elsewhere at the Asheville "Oyster House". Even when I was in Paris and Normandy I couldn't find the real Belon's. Plus their Manhattan style clam chowder was well worth the wait.

Side note on McGuires...the establishment has OVER one million $1 bills stapled to the ceiling and walls throughout the building...and their St. Patrick's Day celebration is off the chain!!

Originally posted by FSU_Chris:
I am by no means a Florida restaurant connoisseur. I travel every week for work and really enjoy eating at home in Orlando. However, here are my restaurant recommendations from the spots I have eaten at and enjoyed:

Orlando
* Scratch
* Prato (Winterpark)
* Ravenous Pig
* Cask and Larder
I have no idea if you'll read this, but I just wanted to send a quick thanks for mentioning Scratch in this post. Had never heard of it until your message and I went there this weekend with my partner. Was great, thanks for the info.

Originally posted by FSUTribe76:
Just to keep the conversation going, I'm going to go in a different route. It's tough to say what the "best" restaurant in Florida or anywhere is because they're usually all over the top foodie places where there's 35 ingredients and 12 prep steps per dish and if you go on a day where the principal chef is not in the kitchen cooking your meal it can be disastrous or at least underwhelming. That could be why I didn't like highly rated places like Kai in Arizona. And when I travel, I've learned to skip the highly rated foodie places (which just like fashion usually all follow the same trends) unless there's something unique about it and instead go with local food items or cuisines. For example I was much happier with the Johns Roast Pork Sammy and cheesesteak I got in Philly than the two highly rated restaurants we went to and I much preferred Chap's pit beef and the G&M crab cakes in Baltimore to the foodie places we went to in DC.

Instead I'll put forward my ten favorite Florida meals (which are easily repeatable). I'm numbering them to keep track and separate but these are in no particular order.

1) The grand tour and steak experience at Bern's Steak House in Tampa. Enjoy the full tour plus the dessert room and then sit down for an amazing steak. This is covered well by the thread about it elsewhere in the LR just for it so I'll move on.

2) Sitting along the Apalachicola River on the deck at Boss Oyster eating while you watch the working oyster and shrimp boats cruise by or even pull up to your dock to drop off seafood. Sipping on an American swill beer (Bud or Coors of course) while starting with a dozen raw oysters that are usually the best in the country if not the world (a little weak this year due to chicanery by Georgians controlling the waterflow). Then advance to a dozen of the oysters Japonnaise (raw with heaping spoonfuls of flying fish roe, some wasabi and ponzu sauce), a mixed dozen of three different styles of cooked oysters (they have over 20 preps more than any other oyster bar I've been to) and maybe a pound of fresh steamed gulf shrimp to split with your loved one. Finish off with an adequate piece of key lime pie and you're in "Real Florida" heaven.

3) Another classic restaurant experience I would put in the top 10 is grabbing overpriced stone crabs in Miami Beach at Joe's Stone Crab. It's not exactly a "tourist trap" but it's basically the city of Miami wrapped up into one experience. You see plenty of over the top Italian sports cars and richie rich's mingling with the blue hairs and the tourons all while enjoying really good seafood at four times the price you would pay in Cedar Key or Apalachicola. Definitely stick with the "Joe's Classic" and get everything you would want including the stone crab claws, the quite good hash browns, the delicious creamed spinach and the adequate key lime pie. It basically summarizes Miami on a plate (unless there's a place that serves a second plate with a jerk chicken wing stabbing into a plate of arroz con pollo).

4) The best Amish food I've ever had was not in Pennsylvania or Ohio, but in Sarasota at Yoder's Restaurant. It's tough to pass up many of the Amish classics, but one of the best meals you will ever have is to start with a slice of Amish bread and spread on some of Yoder's homemade applebutter. Then for your main course stick with the best fried chicken in Florida, Yoder's "broasted" aka pressure-fried chicken. It's the only chicken in Florida that has consistently juicy white meat breasts thanks to the quick high pressure cooking treatment. For sides you should go with the potato cakes topped with sour cream or more of the amazing homemade applebutter and then also order a side of dumplings cooked in chicken stock. But the real star (other than the applebutter which will make ANYTHING taste amazing) is the pies. It's a real conundrum as far as what to get but to eat here without ordering pie should be a first degree felony. If you have a real sweet tooth then the traditional Amish shoofly pie with a side of homemade ice cream to tone down the sugar would be my suggestion OR the absolutely stunning butterscotch cream pie. If you want it so tart your teeth hurt, then their rhubarb pie is for you. Want something in between, then their rightfully famous peanut butter pie (which is not ridiculously rich like most peanut butter pies, its actually a homemade vanilla mousse for the most part topped with a mix of peanut butter and powdered sugar that has been blended into little PB fudge balls) is for you. Really, you CANNOT go wrong with any pie you order, the only thing you will regret is passing on the other 30 pies available.

5) Speaking of Cedar Key, one of if not THE best dish in all of Florida if not the US can be found in this quaint little fishing village. Stroll the little boardwalk on the water and then head back for the best clam chowder and arguably the best soup you will find anywhere. Tony's is a three time (in a row) world champion at the Clam Chowder World Championships held every year throughout New England but with competitors from all over the US. Not only did Tony's win three straight years, but they put in a special rule just for the restaurant where they "retired" his recipe as Grand Champion and would not allow him to compete using the same style of recipe anymore as they were tired of giving the prize to a tiny 54 seat restaurant in bumble*&^% Florida. So OBVIOUSLY, you know what to order. Get a cup (or even a bowl) of the clam chowder and then you'll be surprised to find out the rest of his menu of fried and broiled Florida seafood is actually pretty good as well. They're not the stars though, just good solid A+ seafood shack food and the world's best clam chowder.

6) Any list that left out Florida's best restaurant for the price would be worthless. And that best restaurant for the price is McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola. Tacky decor and world-famous incorrect restroom signage aside, this is simply a great, fun restaurant to visit and it will not break your bank. Slam home an Irish Wake to get the buzz going and then start with some reuben egg rolls for the table (a dish that shouldn't work but absolutely does) and maybe a craftbrewed onsite Irish Red Ale to wash them down. Then grab one of the best steaks in Florida (certainly for the price) or maybe one of their fantastic burgers if your wallet is feeling light and then enjoy a nice Irish Porter with it. McGuire's is not a romantic candlelit affair, it is a place for fun! Either with your significant other or a group. Don't worry about dessert, you will not have room.

7) Back to Tampa (and we will be back, I just realized I will need to expand this list to 20 to bring in more South Florida and Orlando places otherwise, it would be a very Tampa-centric list) for Mr. Dunderbak's and the best beer list in Florida (yes even over Redlight Redlight in Otown). Don't believe me? Then click here http://www.whatsontap.buildabeer.org/WhatsOnTapAt.php?BarID=USAFL00014 and realize that's just the tap list and a small percentage of the beers on bottle doesn't count the literally hundreds of other varieties they have in the bottle (they used to have a complete list and then gave up trying to keep it updated, it is ENORMOUS). But this isn't best bar, this is best dining experience. While you listen to a live oompah music in the center, grab your first beer and some authentic German currywurst with your choice of sausage (I'd go with the weisswurst or smoked bauernwurst). For seconds and thirds it's more beer and either the best fried Zigeuner Schnitzel or Jagerschnitzle around with some of the best warm German potato salad and red cabbage outside of German (and yes, much better than anything in Hellen Georgia). For dessert get one more beer and some of the bayrischer apfelstrudel.

8) The Sunday Brunch at Blue Heaven in Key West is definitely in my top ten of dining experiences for the state of Florida. See if your loved one or friends will let you split the shrimp and grits AND the famous eggs benedict with lime hollandaise sauce. Grab an actually quite good key lime pie for dessert. The free-roaming roosters, sixtoed cats and *&^&*y white reggae or Jimmy Buffetesque "island music" played on the live stage means that this is a quintessential Key West experience.

9) Returning to Tampa yet again for a visit to the oldest restaurant in Florida, the original Columbia in Ybor. Go for the Spanish/Cuban dishes that have been ripped off by lesser restaurants for over one hundred years but stay for the live flamenco dancers. Order some of the white sangria/sangria de cava made from Spanish sparkling wine and Spanish brandy plus fresh fruit made tableside and get some of the 1905 Salad that USA Today labeled one of the top 10 salads in the US. For your main course, the made entirely to order from scratch paella (I prefer the seafood variety) is a must even if it takes several extra minutes over the other courses, but that's what the Flamenco show is for and you should use the extra time to order more white sangria or upgrade to some tableside mojitos. For dessert, the crema catalana or the flan cannot be beaten.

10) The Yearling in Hawthorne is redneck Florida food at its best with live blues and occassionally bluegrass music played on stage. Ordering the venison, gator or frog legs with some American swill beer (only Bud or other adjunct "lagers" match with the cracker food).

Now that I've done 10, I've noticed I really need another 10 to cover Miami and Orlando as I wouldn't have any of those topping these 10 and Hellas in Tarpon Springs and Mai-Kai in Ft Lauderdale would definitely be in my top 20 dining experiences as well. So I'll come back and add 10 more when I come back.

This post was edited on 2/21 11:24 AM by FSUTribe76
Bravo!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT