ADVERTISEMENT

The French Laundry: Pictures added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeFlyNole

Seminole Insider
Jan 2, 2008
One of my company's best customers invited me and my wife to join him and his husband next month at The French Laundry for dinner.

Any of you guys ever been? I've always wanted to go, but never took the time to get reservations months in advance, plan travel etc, etc. The invite pushed me over the edge. We will Get to SF Saturday and have dinner in the city with my buddy, then head up to Napa to booze it up on a wine tour on Sunday, then Monday during the day we are hitting the Audi test track / raceway for a driving course, then dinner at the French Laundry on Monday night, back to the east coast Tuesday morning.

I'm pretty excited, as a foodie kind of guy, I think it will be rad. I hope it hasn't been too hyped up.

Points for the flight, points for the hotel, homeboy is covering our dinner, so other than the driving course, and a few other odd meals I won't be out of pocket much for the trip, I'm a low roller.

Lessons from TFL

Things to know before dining at TFL

I figure it's a once in a lifetime experience. If you've been let me know what you think?

My partner went before he remodeled. He did the full tasting menu with wine pairing. He thoroughly enjoyed it but was overwhelmed. With Almagest amuse bouche and special dishes the kitchen sends out in between your meal, it was like a 3 hour meal

My partner went before he remodeled. He did the full tasting menu with wine pairing. He thoroughly enjoyed it but was overwhelmed. With Almagest amuse bouche and special dishes the kitchen sends out in between your meal, it was like a 3 hour meal
100% do it, it is amazing. The entire area nearby is pretty incredible too, and I am not normally a "foodie". In fact, I am usually a skeptic when it comes to the reputation restaurants, but this one exceeded. Fantastic.

I'm in no way a foodie, but genuinely interested in understanding the attraction of these top restaurants. Is it the quality of the food? The atmosphere/experience? The fact that you're achieving a bucket list type thing?

I would probably never enjoy such a place as to me food is just not that special and I'd just ruin it thinking of how much the meal was costing me.

I may not have had much interest in eating at a Michelin 3 star restaurant until I saw the movie Burnt. Interesting world, that of the extremely exclusive culinary world.

Given the opportunity to go with friends, I certainly would jump at the opportunity for the experience. I'm not sure my palette would really be able to appreciate the offerings, but certainly seems interesting.

http://www.getcreativejuice.com/2015/01/the-french-laundry-dream-restaurant.html

The-French-Laundry-Restaurant-.jpg

I'm in no way a foodie, but genuinely interested in understanding the attraction of these top restaurants. Is it the quality of the food? The atmosphere/experience? The fact that you're achieving a bucket list type thing?

I would probably never enjoy such a place as to me food is just not that special and I'd just ruin it thinking of how much the meal was costing me.

I would imagine it really varies by individual. Honestly, I have less of a problem understanding being willing to drop a grand for two people to eat dinner than I do waiting four hours in line for food like the imbeciles in Austin. With no exaggeration the wait at Austin's allegedly finest BBQ place (Franklins) was over 4 hours when I was there not two weekends ago. And the wait for La BBQ arguably the second best was over 3 hours. And it makes no %*%*ing sense. Literally 30-40 minutes or so you can drive to Lockhart or Driftwood and go to a Texas BBQ just as good (and frankly better imo) where you either walk in or wait normal 30 minutes or so. So you can literally drive to Lockhart, eat at Kreuz Market and drive back and save 2 hours. Yet there is Austinites waiting 4 hours to get get some a basically unseasoned (other than salt & pepper). It boggles my mind. I doubt I would wait too much over an hour for ANY restaurant.

I may not have had much interest in eating at a Michelin 3 star restaurant until I saw the movie Burnt. Interesting world, that of the extremely exclusive culinary world.

Given the opportunity to go with friends, I certainly would jump at the opportunity for the experience. I'm not sure my palette would really be able to appreciate the offerings, but certainly seems interesting.

http://www.getcreativejuice.com/2015/01/the-french-laundry-dream-restaurant.html

The-French-Laundry-Restaurant-.jpg

That's not really food...

Reactions: Psalm51 and gwgwi

I agree with you. Unfortunately, my wife does not. Last year I took her to The Catbird Seat for our anniversary, which is one of those immersive chef experiences that makes a lot of top 10 lists. It was an awesome experience, but I'd rather have $400.

Went about 6 years ago while in Napa. Had an amazing meal. Did not do the wine pairing, but ordered 3 bottles along with the complimentary cocktail. Did not do a lot of tastings that day, only 2. Top 2 places I have ever eaten. Bill came out to about 1100 per couple. Kitchen tour was really cool too. Kitchen was immaculate. Walk the gardens as well.
Had a funny experience with the table next to us. Couple was hammered and she was talking about how he banged her the night before and what she liked. We were dying.

That's not really food...

Getting full isn't the point of these places. It's about experimentation, new ways to prepare and present foods. There was a scene in the movie Burnt that made a lot of sense to me as to what the point of this is.

"People eat because they are hungry; I want to make food that makes people stop eating."

I love BBQ but IMO it's just not a food you should ever wait in line for.

And to me brisket is the most overrated BBQ dish around. But they sure do love it in Texas.

I generally feel the same way about ribs because I didn't grow up with them. People shell out tons of money for ribs at BBQ places, never understood the fascination with the sticky BBQ sauce covered messiness.

Reactions: TexSkills
Getting full isn't the point of these places. It's about experimentation, new ways to prepare and present foods. There was a scene in the movie Burnt that made a lot of sense to me as to what the point of this is.

"People eat because they are hungry; I want to make food that makes people stop eating."
Shoot, my wife is great at that.

I would imagine it really varies by individual. Honestly, I have less of a problem understanding being willing to drop a grand for two people to eat dinner than I do waiting four hours in line for food like the imbeciles in Austin. With no exaggeration the wait at Austin's allegedly finest BBQ place (Franklins) was over 4 hours when I was there not two weekends ago. And the wait for La BBQ arguably the second best was over 3 hours. And it makes no %*%*ing sense. Literally 30-40 minutes or so you can drive to Lockhart or Driftwood and go to a Texas BBQ just as good (and frankly better imo) where you either walk in or wait normal 30 minutes or so. So you can literally drive to Lockhart, eat at Kreuz Market and drive back and save 2 hours. Yet there is Austinites waiting 4 hours to get get some a basically unseasoned (other than salt & pepper). It boggles my mind. I doubt I would wait too much over an hour for ANY restaurant.

People wait for lots of things. People all over will wait over an hour for chain restaurants like Chili's and Olive Garden on a Friday or Saturday night. Pretty regular thing, which boggles the mind.

Not much that I hate more than long waits for restaurants. And sure as heck am not waiting for a chain restaurant.

The reason people wait a long time at these acclaimed BBQ spots is just to be able to say they went. The price isn't high, so the investment is their time. And for most of the people that are waiting are out-of-towners.

Last edited:
I have never been but had relatives who were able to get a reservation. They said it was one of the best eating experiences they'd had and they have traveled quite a bit.

I remember Martin Short was on a talk show a few years back and did a bit about eating there with his late wife. He said they actually started to argue and (if I recall correctly) the whole experience started to devolve into one of those bad evenings with your spouse until they pulled back a bit and realized how much they were paying for the meal. They had to agree to try to have a good time considering that they would never eat there again.

It's certainly exciting that you have the opportunity to go. Enjoy and report back to us on how it went.

One of my company's best customers invited me and my wife to join him and his husband next month at The French Laundry for dinner.

Any of you guys ever been? I've always wanted to go, but never took the time to get reservations months in advance, plan travel etc, etc. The invite pushed me over the edge. We will Get to SF Saturday and have dinner in the city with my buddy, then head up to Napa to booze it up on a wine tour on Sunday, then Monday during the day we are hitting the Audi test track / raceway for a driving course, then dinner at the French Laundry on Monday night, back to the east coast Tuesday morning.

I'm pretty excited, as a foodie kind of guy, I think it will be rad. I hope it hasn't been too hyped up.

Points for the flight, points for the hotel, homeboy is covering our dinner, so other than the driving course, and a few other odd meals I won't be out of pocket much for the trip, I'm a low roller.

Lessons from TFL

Things to know before dining at TFL

I figure it's a once in a lifetime experience. If you've been let me know what you think?

If you have time, pick up one of Keller's picnic box lunches from Addendum (attached to Ad Hoc in Yountsville), and have lunch at one of the wineries. We love his fried chicken. Fried chicken and a bottle of really good sparkling wine....it was one of the best meals we had.

I generally feel the same way about ribs because I didn't grow up with them. People shell out tons of money for ribs at BBQ places, never understood the fascination with the sticky BBQ sauce covered messiness.
I love ribs and not all of them are slathered with BBQ sauce. A good dry rub and you don't even need a sauce.

I have only eaten at Thomas Keller's less expensive establishments. I opted out of going to the French Laundry but other partners in my firm have been with clients - it's a mecca for expense accounts. I have looked inside and spoke to those who work there - some Top Chef known names like Richard Blase worked there. Chef Thomas Keller has other restaurants to eat at - Bouchon in Vegas at the Venetian has a great bar and the roast chicken is flawless. There is a Bouchon in Yountville now too. Even the small place he has on the third floor of the Time Warner Center has perfect soup and sandwiches. From my experiences at these "lesser" venues, I can guess that the food at the Laundry lives up to the hype - but the hype of the experience - and telling people that you went - seemed overwhelming to me.

Went about 6 years ago while in Napa. Had an amazing meal. Did not do the wine pairing, but ordered 3 bottles along with the complimentary cocktail. Did not do a lot of tastings that day, only 2. Top 2 places I have ever eaten. Bill came out to about 1100 per couple. Kitchen tour was really cool too. Kitchen was immaculate. Walk the gardens as well.
Had a funny experience with the table next to us. Couple was hammered and she was talking about how he banged her the night before and what she liked. We were dying.
I've been to FL twice for very special occasions and I think it's great, but it is the most expensive joint I've been to, ever. I enjoy Bouchon damn near as much, despite the unwashed masses all around. I also agree with everything skamer said. And I apologize to him about my wife's inability to keep her voice down that night.

I don't often agree with Tribe but, when I do, it's about how great the BBQ is in Lockhart (and Luling). I'd actually rather go down there than Franklin, regardless if there's a short wait at the latter. But next week I'm going to Franklin for an invite-only dinner (advertised as "two hitches, no waiting" or something like that). And I won't mind that a bit. I'd say everybody should try Franklin once, and my wife's preferred method is to take a friend plus camp chairs, a cooler of cerveza, and snacks and make a tailgate/morning of it. Once you make friends with your neighbors in line, the hilarity ensues and the time flies. Or so she says; I just show up at noon for the eating.

I've been to FL twice for very special occasions and I think it's great, but it is the most expensive joint I've been to, ever. I enjoy Bouchon damn near as much, despite the unwashed masses all around. I also agree with everything skamer said. And I apologize to him about my wife's inability to keep her voice down that night.

I don't often agree with Tribe but, when I do, it's about how great the BBQ is in Lockhart (and Luling). I'd actually rather go down there than Franklin, regardless if there's a short wait at the latter. But next week I'm going to Franklin for an invite-only dinner (advertised as "two hitches, no waiting" or something like that). And I won't mind that a bit. I'd say everybody should try Franklin once, and my wife's preferred method is to take a friend plus camp chairs, a cooler of cerveza, and snacks and make a tailgate/morning of it. Once you make friends with your neighbors in line, the hilarity ensues and the time flies. Or so she says; I just show up at noon for the eating.

I have been to Bouchon many times (Vegas) and I resent being called one of the "unwashed masses" I am the well dressed guy at the stainless steel bar drinking a martini. hahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: canoli
I love ribs and not all of them are slathered with BBQ sauce. A good dry rub and you don't even need a sauce.

Yeah, I love the ribs at Rendezvous (the lamb ribs slightly more than the pork) and they're nothing but a dry rub on direct heat. No sauce although they have some on the table for those who don't get that you don't need a sauce if the seasoning is done right.

I have been to Bouchon many times (Vegas) and I resent being called one of the "unwashed masses" I am the well dressed guy at the stainless steel bar drinking a martini. hahaha
Touche, brother. But you have to agree they'll let anybody in there!

I love BBQ but IMO it's just not a food you should ever wait in line for.

And to me brisket is the most overrated BBQ dish around. But they sure do love it in Texas.

Done poorly like Sonny's does (and most places in Florida) it's usually pretty terrible. But the famous places in Texas usually "do it up" pretty well, especially the fatty end. I will say that I like the California TriTip at the Far Western Tavern (my favorite Cali "BBQ" place) better than the fatty end brisket at Kreuz Market (my favorite Texas BBQ). BUT...on this last trip I tried something new (to me) at Kreuz. I ordered the bbqed prime rib and discovered Texas Prime Rib (at least at Kreuz) > Santa Maria Tritip > Texas Brisket.

And as far as Franklins, I have been although it's been a long time now and was before it reached massive notoriety and I still like Kreuz better. And the best part of Kreuz is that I've had zero wait each and every time I've been.

I haven't been everywhere in the US so there may be better places I haven't uncovered yet. But for my "BBQed"/smoked meats/briskets I would go....

1) Kreuz Market prime rib (Lockhart Texas)
2) Far Western Tavern ribeye (Orcutt California)
3) Far Western Tavern tritip (Orcutt California)
4) Kreuz Market fatty end brisket (Lockhart Texas)
5) Langer's pastrami (LA California)
6) Lester's Deli "Montreal smoked meat" (Montreal)
7) Franklin's Barbecue brisket (Austin Texas)
8) Chap's Pit Beef round (Baltimore Maryland)
9) Katz Deli patrami (NYC New York)
10) Salt Lick BBQ fatty end brisket (Driftwood Texas)

For me, my top 9 is set in stone. The tenth spot...there's a lot of places and types I considered. I mentioned the brisket and prime rib at Kreuz Market...but their beef rib is just a shade behind in my opinion. The tritip at the Hitching Post 2 in Buellton is awesome...unless you've had the ribeye or tritip at the Far Western Tavern. The brisket at Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City is maybe the best BBQ brisket outside of Texas. And finally there's McClards BBQ in Hot Springs Arkansas which has this wonderful combo of chopped beef brisket in a vinegary sauce, pinto beans, heaps of dayglo yellow cheese, and fritos is super trashy...and super good (Bill Clinton swears by it as the best "BBQ" so that's all any voter of any party needs to know about it...so great but trashy), but I discounted it as it's too much of a "dish" than simple BBQ beef. But some people would let it in.

What the trashy BBQ beef "tamale spread" looks like at McClards.

s4HboFB_d.jpg

I've never been to TFL. I have been to Per se. Which is basically the east coast version in NYC. You should no doubt go. Keller just finished the makeover and it looks incredible. The food will be fantastic. The service will be outstanding. You will have some of the best vegetables in their prime. If you can you should spulrge even more and get every supplement available.

It's a shame he's fallen on some of the bigger lists for "top" restaurants at both TFL and Per se. My best guess is that it's a lack of experimentation in the food. But that's BS since it's his consistency which makes his places so very special. Not to mention that kitchen has produced a good handful of the worlds current top culinary minds. It's becoming a piece of history If it already hasn't cemented its self as such.

If you stumble upon any more time while there and you dig that type of experience. You might want to check out the restauraunt at meadowood. It's on the same level.

I've never been to TFL. I have been to Per se. The food will be fantastic. The service will be outstanding.

It's a shame he's fallen on some of the bigger lists for "top" restaurants at both TFL and Per se. My best guess is that it's a lack of experimentation in the food.

If I recall, the general attitude of malaise both from the staff and the kitchen led to Wells's review in NYT. Some dishes foundered but just as crucial to his critique seemed to be the indifference and coarseness of the servers and other staff.

To his credit, Keller did not lash out at Wells as some chefs are known to do. In a few different interviews after the review was published, Keller went public with the admission that perhaps they had become too complacent and vowed to improve.

I had a private dinner with Thomas Keller at Per Se in NYC. It is not the Laundry, but it basically is. Having been to almost all of the Pelligrino top 50 spots in the US, I can say this one was my least favorite. Getting to sit with Keller for a couple of hours was amazing. I am a total fan boy, and he lived up to the hype. With that said, I would 100% hit the Laundry.

As for the allure of "high end" restaurants; for us it is the experience. My first meal at Alinea changed the way I look at food. To experience (see/taste/feel) the art, and yes I mean art, of someone who can see the world in a way that is wildly unique is worth it. The food is always amazing at these places, but it is the total experience.

As for BBQ, I would likely not wait in line for Franklin's brisket, but I would pay a college kid to do it for me. As I have said before, I have a competition BBQ team and have won a few events. We are ranked nationally in the KCBS. I have heard from many people who I respect in the BBQ world that Franklin's is on a whole other level.

Reactions: DFSNOLE and dmm5157
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT