ADVERTISEMENT

The French Laundry: Pictures added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obligatory post to remind everyone that BBQ, any BBQ, almost w/out exception, is never better than "meh."

We need to get you some smoked prime rib from Kreuz Market, sliced mutton from Moonlite Bar-B-Cue Inn, dry rub lamb ribs from Charlie Vergos Rendezvous, a pulled pork Sammie with red slaw and a bottled Cheerwine on the side from Bridges Barbecue Lodge, a smoked ribeye from the Far Western Tavern, some pulled whole hog from Sweatman's BBQ and some chicken with white sauce from Big Bob Gibson IMMEDIATELY. After you have literally any of those, you'll never be able to eat the thieving Gator place Sonny's again.

Reactions: goldmom
The food I can live with or without. But add me to the jealous list with the driving school. I would love to do the school and get on the test track. What kind of speed can you get the Audi R8 up to on that track? I would probably kill myself.

Cannot agree with this enough. I just don't get that excited about food. There is definitely crap food and good food but the price jump to go to "great, we like to smell our own farts elitist food", no thanks. I'd rather take that $1000+ and do a pair of track days. This thread did make me wonder how much (of my money) I've spent on a single meal , not sure but pretty sure its not over $500.

Someone else gonna pay it for me? Sure, but I wouldn't pay that much.

Obligatory post to remind everyone that BBQ, any BBQ, almost w/out exception, is never better than "meh."
BoXUpyeCQAA2WhY.jpg

Getting full isn't the point of these places. It's about experimentation, new ways to prepare and present foods. There was a scene in the movie Burnt that made a lot of sense to me as to what the point of this is.

"People eat because they are hungry; I want to make food that makes people stop eating."

This makes no sense. It's like making a TV you don't want to watch. Or making a golf club you don't want to hit. These places are nothing but shams. Here, let's make a plate with nothing on it and sell it for $100. Pure profit. Lmao...

This makes no sense. It's like making a TV you don't want to watch. Or making a golf club you don't want to hit. These places are nothing but shams. Here, let's make a plate with nothing on it and sell it for $100. Pure profit. Lmao...

You're missing the analogy.

You can a cheap cut of beef for $3 that you can eat and will fill you up. Does the job, and based on the cost of the meat, it you might feel it tasted "good". The goal was to fill you up, not knock your socks off.

You can also get a dry aged steak for $100 that absolutely blows you away and makes everything else you've ever eaten seem like shoe leather. Some people can afford to eat like that all the time. For the rest of us, it's a rare occurrence.

Going to a place like this is no different.

A better comparison might be paying a ton of money to go to a particular sporting event, concert, show, etc. Why should you spend the money to watch it live when you can watch it at home on TV for free? Sometimes it's about the experience.

Some people will never get over cost. Why spend $500 to play Pebble Beach? Why do anything that costs any money at all?

Some people value the experience over the cost.

You can a cheap cut of beef for $3 that you can eat and will fill you up. Does the job, and based on the cost of the meat, it you might feel it tasted "good". The goal was to fill you up, not knock your socks off.

You can also get a dry aged steak for $100 that absolutely blows you away and makes everything else you've ever eaten seem like shoe leather. Some people can afford to eat like that all the time. For the rest of us, it's a rare occurrence.

A better comparison might be paying a ton of money to go to a particular sporting event, concert, show, etc. Why should you spend the money to watch it live when you can watch it at home on TV for free? Sometimes it's about the experience.

Some people will never get over cost. Why spend $500 to play Pebble Beach? Why do anything that costs any money at all?

Tap the breaks man, sounding WAY too much like Tribe. o_O

No, I get it. I'll pay good money for a good meal, and even over pay if it's really good. But no way am I going to pay big bucks for three or four ounces of food just for the experience...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I tend to value experiences over tangible items more as I get older, but I'm still not at a point where I can drop $500 on dinner or concert tickets.

I tend to value experiences over tangible items more as I get older, but I'm still not at a point where I can drop $500 on dinner or concert tickets.
Experiences ARE where it's at.

Unfortunately for me, my experiences are more at the $100/person range than the $500 variety.

In due time though...

I've been kicking the idea of this around in my head a bit since I've watched a couple of these shows on Netflix about these type places. Something in me wants to try one of these places, just to see if I "get it". The price is obviously absurd for food, but for entertainment? I don't know...when you hear about people blowing a few hundred bucks at the blackjack table turn anyone's head? Somebody is buying those lower level playoff tickets. So I can get over the price I guess even though I'm generally a cheapskate.

And the portions I could get over too, even though I'm a guy that likes to eat a lot, and likes to be full at the end of a meal. If I'm spending $500, I can afford to stop by Waffle House on the way home.

But I'm just tempted to do it because I can't wrap my head around it. I want to think that one visit and my eyes would be open and I'd say "Oh, I get it now. This is the best meal ever." But I suspect that my palate or my taste just isn't sophisticated to appreciate it, which would be a waste.

I just don't know how someone could give me squid ink frog eggs on a twist of rutabaga or something, and I'd say "yes, I'd much rather be eating this than a grilled pork chop with some Sweet Baby Rays squirted on it." I don't know if that's a palate thing, or just a way of thinking about food that will never align with these places. But until I try it, who knows.

Reactions: fsUTampa
I've been kicking the idea of this around in my head a bit since I've watched a couple of these shows on Netflix about these type places. Something in me wants to try one of these places, just to see if I "get it". The price is obviously absurd for food, but for entertainment? I don't know...when you hear about people blowing a few hundred bucks at the blackjack table turn anyone's head? Somebody is buying those lower level playoff tickets. So I can get over the price I guess even though I'm generally a cheapskate.

And the portions I could get over too, even though I'm a guy that likes to eat a lot, and likes to be full at the end of a meal. If I'm spending $500, I can afford to stop by Waffle House on the way home.

But I'm just tempted to do it because I can't wrap my head around it. I want to think that one visit and my eyes would be open and I'd say "Oh, I get it now. This is the best meal ever." But I suspect that my palate or my taste just isn't sophisticated to appreciate it, which would be a waste.

I just don't know how someone could give me squid ink frog eggs on a twist of rutabaga or something, and I'd say "yes, I'd much rather be eating this than a grilled pork chop with some Sweet Baby Rays squirted on it." I don't know if that's a palate thing, or just a way of thinking about food that will never align with these places. But until I try it, who knows.

If you are ever in NYC, try our Le Bernardin. It's a seafood restaurant and has had 3 Michelin stars for a long time. They used to, in the summer, have a reduced cost three course menu. It's a good introduction restaurant.

Reactions: canoli

I was full when I left. Hell we ate at Robuchon in Vegas and barely were able to finish the meal. I can agree with the thought that you might want something else like fried chicken, but the experience is amazing and you will love the food. It really is amazing what somebody can do with a piece of chicken.

I think it just depends how interested in food you are. If you're a true "foodie", then I can understand the attraction. I like to eat quality food, using good ingredients and prepared well, but I have relatively simple tastes. Therefore, I have zero interest in The French Laundry or fine dining in general.

Reactions: F4Gary
experience is what its about. You either love it or think its stupid and wont ever dig it.

The bottom line is this. What most people would consider the top 10 tasting menu joints are not rolling in the black on their food. Most of the best hope to break even, if that.

They do it cause they like for you to eat it; experience it . They do make money on wine and alcohol and they hope to god u buy it.

They do make money off cookbooks and appearances and usually that puts them in the black.

I run a tasting menu every Saturday night in Panama City during the summer based off local foods. Its not deigned to make money. Its actually stupid cheap for what it is and I always sell out. Its designed for you to sit for 2 hours, enjoy yourself over good food, broaden you horizon on some local producers and lead you to spend money on something else and that would be alcohol.

experience is what its about. You either love it or think its stupid and wont ever dig it.

The bottom line is this. What most people would consider the top 10 tasting menu joints are not rolling in the black on their food. Most of the best hope to break even, if that.

They do it cause they like for you to eat it; experience it . They do make money on wine and alcohol and they hope to god u buy it.

They do make money off cookbooks and appearances and usually that puts them in the black.

I run a tasting menu every Saturday night in Panama City during the summer based off local foods. Its not deigned to make money. Its actually stupid cheap for what it is and I always sell out. Its designed for you to sit for 2 hours, enjoy yourself over good food, broaden you horizon on some local producers and lead you to spend money on something else and that would be alcohol.
Sounds intriguing....maybe next time we are down that way. How do we find you?

I ate a $120 steak at Rathbuns one night, not sure what sides, appetizers and all those flights and drinks cost. That was probably the most expensive meal I have ever eaten. I don't care for the real fancy places, they look at you funny after 10 drinks or so.

Reactions: baldfsufan

Would you email me jamnolfin@hotmail.com I probably know you and if I dont lets talk.

If you are ever in NYC, try our Le Bernardin. It's a seafood restaurant and has had 3 Michelin stars for a long time. They used to, in the summer, have a reduced cost three course menu. It's a good introduction restaurant.
It's phenomenal. If Le B doesn't make you say, "Oh, now I get it. I need to do this more often," then extravagant dining is not for you.

One of my company's best customers invited me and my wife to join him and his husband next month at The French Laundry for dinner.

Any of you guys ever been? I've always wanted to go, but never took the time to get reservations months in advance, plan travel etc, etc. The invite pushed me over the edge. We will Get to SF Saturday and have dinner in the city with my buddy, then head up to Napa to booze it up on a wine tour on Sunday, then Monday during the day we are hitting the Audi test track / raceway for a driving course, then dinner at the French Laundry on Monday night, back to the east coast Tuesday morning.

I'm pretty excited, as a foodie kind of guy, I think it will be rad. I hope it hasn't been too hyped up.

Points for the flight, points for the hotel, homeboy is covering our dinner, so other than the driving course, and a few other odd meals I won't be out of pocket much for the trip, I'm a low roller.

Lessons from TFL

Things to know before dining at TFL

I figure it's a once in a lifetime experience. If you've been let me know what you think?
My good friend knows the GM there. Pretty much a rez whenever I want it.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
I have not been to The French Laundry, though I have had The French Laundry menu at Next in Chicago, which was re-created from Grant Aschatz' first night working there. Was very good. Enjoy!

Oh yeah, I was going to ask you if you had any interest or knew someone who would be interested in doing 50-55 meals one day a week to be catered into my upcoming Panama City facility. We're not planning on doing any food ourselves beyond green smoothies and fruit for lunch, the rest will be catered in. I'm just planning on having sandwiches and salads for lunches but dinners we wanted to have healthy, higher end food catered in 6 days a week (and one cheat meal of pizza, wings, and other assorted junk food). We'll probably be opening in about two to three months.

Oh yeah, I was going to ask you if you had any interest or knew someone who would be interested in doing 50-55 meals one day a week to be catered into my upcoming Panama City facility. We're not planning on doing any food ourselves beyond green smoothies and fruit for lunch, the rest will be catered in. I'm just planning on having sandwiches and salads for lunches but dinners we wanted to have healthy, higher end food catered in 6 days a week (and one cheat meal of pizza, wings, and other assorted junk food). We'll probably be opening in about two to three months.

I will take a look at it for sure. Shoot me a message and ill get u my contact info.

The overall experience was pretty awesome. They have a large 3 acre garden on site where a lot of their produce comes from. I'd say the food was as near to perfect as you could imagine, from a technical perspective. The kitchen was immaculate and amazing, and run with military precision.

I think the wine was over priced and I was a little underwhelmed with the lack of attention to the parings. Considering where the restaurant is, I had much better wine across the board in tastings in the days before.

Costs, each fixed menu was $310 per person, and the suggested wine paring was $310. You could have them arrange a more modest paring, or order by the bottle or buy the glass, but I was hoping to get a very well though out paring. My wife got 2 glasses, as $50 per glass.

The doctor and his husband who took us don't drink, but they made them an assortment of mocktails with various juices and herbs, they were really well done. The whole bill with 4 tastings, one wine paring, 2 glasses of wine and the mocktail set up was $2000.

I'd say my only disappointment was the service. It seemed like most of the servers were somewhat new, and the seemed nervous. It didn't make you feel welcome or comfortable. It was strange, it wasn't a single event or action, but a general feeling.

They do bring you a glass of champagne if your table isn't ready precisely at your reservation time, and I think everyone gets a tour of the kitchen. Finally they send you home with a folder that has a copy of your menu and a few other little details about the restaurant and chefs.

Here are some pics:

The kitchen from the courtyard.
19113533_10156195190575410_3503661305638479448_n.jpg

19059115_10156195190680410_6393863094436564766_n.jpg

19030253_10156195190690410_895376227863537070_n.jpg

"Oysters and Pearls" Sabayon of pearl tapioca with island creek oysters and white sturgeon caviar.
19149080_10156195190765410_1975608104727864895_n.jpg

Hawaiian hearts of peach palm, with apricots, hazelnuts, sorrel and yogurt
19113526_10156195190785410_6735900130833297291_n.jpg

Monk Fish with morells and carrots
19105947_10156195190780410_7229950850550047987_n.jpg

Langostine "boudin" This little lobster cake was cooked to perfection.
19113852_10156195190790410_8523041580154087004_n.jpg

"Bread and butter" bacon and onion brioche (insane good)
19059894_10156195190845410_8034663476946042009_n.jpg

White Quail stuffed with cracked barley, chanterelle mushrooms and blueberrys with black muscat jus.
19059060_10156195190850410_26365025904082876_n.jpg

Lamb with pole beans, broccoli and eggplant with bechamel and sauce pimenton
19145857_10156195190855410_4620915461771920472_n.jpg
19059669_10156195190860410_7810935695271184574_n.jpg
19059087_10156195190945410_3285374024812429303_n.jpg
19059397_10156195190965410_2336376255803561561_n.jpg
19113600_10156195190960410_3286670365250710865_n.jpg
19149378_10156195191065410_6001382555651371601_n.jpg
19146156_10156195191070410_612173535274975233_n.jpg
19149463_10156195191165410_8260442388276079277_n.jpg
19148976_10156195191170410_5105190667459900592_n.jpg
19030695_10156195190955410_255999219580259981_n.jpg

It looks really, really good. Not sure it's worth 5 bills per person (admittedly I've never gone past $250/person, so I don't know), but it looks like it was some great food.

$310 plus a $310 bottle of wine for food that appears at best would hold me over for a couple of hours? Man, I hope they provide a little extra service under the table.

That looks like a blast. Just reading the descriptions sounded tasty. Did you steal any napkins or steak knives?

It sounds a lot like the Catbird Seat, but you actually sit around the kitchen and the chefs are fun and engaging - they explain each course as they're making. Also, from what I'm told, the wine pairing is on point (which they also explain).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT