ADVERTISEMENT

The Night Of - FINALE...The Call of the Wild (Spoilers)

And let's not forget she said, "I can't be alone tonight."

She knew someone was after her. So it shouldn't have been a random person who did it, and the only person that we know that knew her prior to the night of, was the stepdad.

Siap, has the police or anybody mentioned if somebody profits from her desth? I know her mom is deceased but don't remember about her dad. It looks like she lives alone in that Brownstone in the city which had to be extremely costly.

I truly dislike lawyer Crowe. How much is it going to cost the family to have Chandra take over the case?

When the hell is Stone going to figure out the back gate cat situation?

Crazy how the bunk mate helped him along and then turned on him when he didn't take the deal.

Siap, has the police or anybody mentioned if somebody profits from her desth? I know her mom is deceased but don't remember about her dad. It looks like she lives alone in that Brownstone in the city which had to be extremely costly.
Neither the police nor Box have really investigated her death. They have their killer.

Reactions: dmm5157
Neither the police nor Box have really investigated her death. They have their killer.

Exactly. They think the case is closed, they aren't looking any further, moving onto other business.

This was a great episode, Stone is developing as I figured, glad to see Crowe's shtick is over.

The jail aspect of of things for Nas are consuming half the screen time now, the scenes with him there are tense. He's fighting for his life at every turn now. Love his conversations with Freddy.

Can't wait for the next episode.

He should have taken the deal. Only itchy foot is still believing he's innocent and investigating. The new girl attorney seems to have compassion and believe him, but has not yet demonstrated just how much yet.

I'm routing for him, but it seems if like the show is now about an innocent man learning how to survive in prison more than anything. We have gotten no where with learning what really happened that night.

All and all this is still a very good show, but the story lines are still growing and we are halfway through season. I hope this gets wrapped up nicely with Naz being innocent. But not sure that will happen.

He should have taken the deal. Only itchy foot is still believing he's innocent and investigating. The new girl attorney seems to have compassion and believe him, but has not yet demonstrated just how much yet.

I'm routing for him, but it seems if like the show is now about an innocent man learning how to survive in prison more than anything. We have gotten no where with learning what really happened that night.

All and all this is still a very good show, but the story lines are still growing and we are halfway through season. I hope this gets wrapped up nicely with Naz being innocent. But not sure that will happen.

Next week show showed various scenes of Stone investigating and trying to figure what happened. Which is a change from the beginning of the show where he said the truth did not matter. I get the feeling this may be Stone's first innocent client. I will be glad if they spend less time with the prison it is a bit over the top imo.

Next week show showed various scenes of Stone investigating and trying to figure what happened. Which is a change from the beginning of the show where he said the truth did not matter. I get the feeling this may be Stone's first innocent client. I will be glad if they spend less time with the prison it is a bit over the top imo.

This week Stone was already gathering information and feeding it to Chandra, the young lawyer with family from India. She wants to believe he's innocent. Why else would she have paid Stone $500 for those illegally-obtained medical records of the victim?

It's also obvious that there's something up with the step-dad at the funeral. Looked money related.

So Aida Turturro made an appearance last night as working at that rehab facility. Another tie-in to past HBO Shows (She was from the Sopranos). What I didn't realize before is that she's related to John Turturro (they're cousins).

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/03/a...-up-where-james-gandolfini-left-off.html?_r=0

This week Stone was already gathering information and feeding it to Chandra, the young lawyer with family from India. She wants to believe he's innocent. Why else would she have paid Stone $500 for those illegally-obtained medical records of the victim?

It's also obvious that there's something up with the step-dad at the funeral. Looked money related.

So Aida Turturro made an appearance last night as working at that rehab facility. Another tie-in to past HBO Shows (She was from the Sopranos). What I didn't realize before is that she's related to John Turturro (they're cousins).

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/03/a...-up-where-james-gandolfini-left-off.html?_r=0
Great read. Hard to believe Robert DeNiro was going to do the role of Stone as well. Damn.

Really digging this show. With some pretty minor tweaks in screen time allotment, this could have been True Detective III (or II, LOL).

Turturro is so awesome. No disrespect to Gandolfini, but Turturro is owning this role. I'd watch 13 episodes of the guy trying to fix his damn feet. His facial expression work is magnificent.

I never loved the sad sack Gandolfini character that much, so it's hard for me to imagine him being as good as this.

Has anybody mentioned that his "friend" that burned him was probably on Freddy's team the whole time? As well as the first guy that tried to tell him to go with Freddy?

Really digging this show. With some pretty minor tweaks in screen time allotment, this could have been True Detective III (or II, LOL).

I agree. It could still be. I saw a lot of similarities to the mood, cinematography, imagery (deer head was very reminiscent). I like this much better than TD Season 2 so far.

Turturro is so awesome. No disrespect to Gandolfini, but Turturro is owning this role. I'd watch 13 episodes of the guy trying to fix his damn feet. His facial expression work is magnificent.

I never loved the sad sack Gandolfini character that much, so it's hard for me to imagine him being as good as this.

100% agree with this. I was never really much of a Gandolfini fan. Turturro is really underrated as an actor. When you hear him speak (excluding his accent work in The Big Lebowski and O Brother Where Art Thou), he exudes New York City. He IS New York City. Gandolfini makes me think New Jersey and mobster.

Has anybody mentioned that his "friend" that burned him was probably on Freddy's team the whole time? As well as the first guy that tried to tell him to go with Freddy?

That very well could be, I hadn't really thought about that. I figured first guy yes, but didn't think about 2nd guy also being the same.

I kept thinking what character was Turturro in the Big Lebowski?

LOL, I had to look this one up and was shocked at the answer.

images

Reactions: dmm5157 and ericram
Year, Turturro is a great actor.

My wife and I are really enjoying the show. The acting is terrific. As an attorney, I find it pretty interesting. Appreciate the gritty nature of the show.

I have kind of had enough with the jail aspect of the show though. Not really wanted to watch Oz the mini-series. Much more interested in the investigatory aspect of the story. Want to see what was going on with that girl. Obviously something really messed up.

Have the show on dvr so I just watched it. My biggest issue is that Naz seems to be awaiting trial in prison. Generally, one goes to prison after they're sentenced. They're held pre trial in the county lock up. Maybe it's different in New York.

Have the show on dvr so I just watched it. My biggest issue is that Naz seems to be awaiting trial in prison. Generally, one goes to prison after they're sentenced. They're held pre trial in the county lock up. Maybe it's different in New York.

I picked up on that too. It's one of those things you have to look past since it is the movies. Or, like you mentioned, maybe it is that way in NY??

Actually, Rickers Island is the jail for the city. It's not a prison. A criminal lawyer addressed that aspect on an IMDB thread I was reading a while back. As far as I can tell, the show is accurate in that regard.

It appears to me that aspect of the show is very deliberate from the director. Illuminating what could happen to "anyone" or maybe to someone's son/relative. Wrong place, wrong time. An escalation of one poor choice after another. I've learned a few things during this time, being that what I've seen on TV previously is actually quite the departure from reality.

RIKERS ISLAND, from Wikipedia:

Capture.jpg

Actually, Rickers Island is the jail for the city. It's not a prison. A criminal lawyer addressed that aspect on an IMDB thread I was reading a while back. As far as I can tell, the show is accurate in that regard.

It appears to me that aspect of the show is very deliberate from the director. Illuminating what could happen to "anyone" or maybe to someone's son/relative. Wrong place, wrong time. An escalation of one poor choice after another. I've learned a few things during this time, being that what I've seen on TV previously is actually quite the departure from reality.

Capture.jpg
It seems the inmate offering protection (sorry can't remember the character's name) has been and will be there for longer than a year.

Reactions: DanC78

Capture.jpg

Now that I think about it....the guy who threw the hot water on him, didn't he say his trial was over and he was serving his sentence?

It seems the inmate offering protection (sorry can't remember the character's name) has been and will be there for longer than a year.

I do not think they've really covered how Freddy (the character you're referring to) got where he is at Rikers. We know he's a drug kingpin of some sort, but beyond that, not sure. Also, why is he in one of the cells, rather than with the rest of the guys out in cots?

And the other guy may be transitioning, considering that he got moved there after Nas's previous bunk mate got moved after his bed was set on fire.

Now that I think about it....the guy who threw the hot water on him, didn't he say his trial was over and he was serving his sentence?

No, he said "And now I'm in here and he's out there". He only talks about his niece's murder's trial and sentencing, not his own trial and sentencing, IIRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanC78
I do not think they've really covered how Freddy (the character you're referring to) got where he is at Rikers. We know he's a drug kingpin of some sort, but beyond that, not sure. Also, why is he in one of the cells, rather than with the rest of the guys out in cots?
Not only is Freddy (thanks) in a private cell, he has a conjugal relationship with a female guard, protection of the male guards and his cell decorated with personal possessions. That seems like a long term set up.

Not only is Freddy (thanks) in a private cell, he has a conjugal relationship with a female guard, protection of the male guards and his cell decorated with personal possessions. That seems like a long term set up.

All that has more to do with his pull in the community than the longevity of his stay. could be an "in and out of court" type situation. Then again, a guy like him would be able to make bail and await trial outside prison.

Not sure they will cover that all too much, as all HBO's "The Night Of" bio has to say about Freddy Knight is that he's a Rikers Island Inmate.

http://www.hbo.com/the-night-of/cast-and-crew/freddy-knight/index.html

Reactions: DFSNOLE
So had a friend float his theory.

What if Naz has a personality disorder, and became someone else during/after the drug/sex romp?

Would be quite a twist!

Hope we get back to the who done it and actually find out who it is.

What if Naz has a personality disorder, and became someone else during/after the drug/sex romp?

Would be quite a twist!

It's certainly possible that Nas did it. The only issue I have with it is how clean he was after the murder. But the preview for next week certainly hinted that Nas has a darker side.

Would be quite a twist!

I have considered this as an option. Would be pretty lame if that's what happens imo.

I hope the show gets more Involved with who actually did it this week. I'm not caring that much about his new alliance and drama with being in jail.

I agree about the jail scenes not being as compelling, but they certainly were tense.
The who done it aspect is what I am most interested in.

Why would it be lame if Naz has a dark side that we as viewers were not aware of early on? He is the nice innocent college student right? or maybe not..

It's certainly possible that Nas did it. The only issue I have with it is how clean he was after the murder. But the preview for next week certainly hinted that Nas has a darker side.

There is plenty of CSI work that we did not see either.

I agree about the jail scenes not being as compelling, but they certainly were tense.
The who done it aspect is what I am most interested in.

Why would it be lame if Naz has a dark side that we as viewers were not aware of early on? He is the nice innocent college student right? or maybe not..

Idk...I guess the fact that my first guess was that he had a dark side and actually did do it.

drama with being in jail

Seems like this is a pretty important aspect of the series. We'll see how it plays out. It may be the most important aspect in the end. No clue though.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see more time with Detective Box and I do hope the investigation gets moving along. I tried turning up my TV all the way last week in that scene at the funeral when Jack Stone was filming the argument so that I could hear what they were saying.

One really respectful thing over all of the weeks is everyone keeping the discussion to only what has aired so far in this series on Sunday nights. I have stayed away from reading anything about this series except for the article on Turturro taking over the role. I greatly appreciate everyone discussing this show and keeping non-aired items out of the discussion.

Last edited:
I think Freddy being a professional boxer and some sort of minor drug kingpin has given him a lot of street cred as well as admiration from the police officers. There was some newspaper article on his wall with the title of 'fallen hero" of something of that sort. I think he is supposed to be a combination of Mike Tyson and Nino Brown(new jack city).

I doubt Freddy's interest in Naz is as he explains it, a tough guy wanting to extend friendship in orderr to converse with an educated person. I think he is putting Naz in place sometime down the road to be a potential fall guy

Last edited:
Reactions: HulaNole
Wow. Tonight's episode was fun. Lot of ground covered. Loved seeing both Box and Stone doing their investigation. Watching the prosecutor build her case and go through the process. I'm glad they showed Box actually put the time line and locations of the evening together. I saw doubt in his eyes when he was watching Andrea get into Nas's cab.

It's clear that Nas has a past that will paint him as questionable character but it's also become evident that Duane Reade was in fact a questionable person and not just intended to confuse the audience. Doesn't mean he's involved, but it's intriguing.

That episode moved a bit too fast in some ways. On the Nas, Trevor, Duane angle, it came too easily IMO for John Stone to get the info. He also got info out of Andrea's friend at the bar.

At first I thought the prison scenes were to portray the survival side of the process, but now I'm starting to think it's to show Nas's darker side. Up until this episode, he was shown as weak, timid, and not capable of defending himself. In this episode, he's doing push-ups, shaving his head and beating up a guy so bad he put him in ICU. Next week's previews also hinted at more in Nas's past that caused him to switch schools.

3 episodes left, lots still to cover.

Very good episode. Covered a lot of ground. When the hell is Stone going to figure out the damn cat/back door angle?

3 episodes left!

Yes, so Naz is not so much a "good boy". He does have some rage issues. The shaved head was a bad idea to help maintain the good boy look. Him using his influence over the other prisoners was interesting too.

Watching him swallow those bags and Strong knowing exactly what was going on was great.

I really enjoyed the investigation parts of the story.

Stone going in after Duane was really dumb. And they left us hanging. Damnit HBO!

Questions: no word on how Naz's parents will pay for this? Do you think his dad will eventually file grand theft charges to get the cab back?

Wow. Tonight's episode was fun. Lot of ground covered. Loved seeing both Box and Stone doing their investigation. Watching the prosecutor build her case and go through the process. I'm glad they showed Box actually put the time line and locations of the evening together. I saw doubt in his eyes when he was watching Andrea get into Nas's cab.

It's clear that Nas has a past that will paint him as questionable character but it's also become evident that Duane Reade was in fact a questionable person and not just intended to confuse the audience. Doesn't mean he's involved, but it's intriguing.

That episode moved a bit too fast in some ways. On the Nas, Trevor, Duane angle, it came too easily IMO for John Stone to get the info. He also got info out of Andrea's friend at the bar.

At first I thought the prison scenes were to portray the survival side of the process, but now I'm starting to think it's to show Nas's darker side. Up until this episode, he was shown as weak, timid, and not capable of defending himself. In this episode, he's doing push-ups, shaving his head and beating up a guy so bad he put him in ICU. Next week's previews also hinted at more in Nas's past that caused him to switch schools.

3 episodes left, lots still to cover.

I'm wondering if Freddy may have something to do with it, could be why he was so interested in Nas. I know that's way out there, but you never know.

I went back and watched episode 1 to see Duanes interaction that night. He was definitely checking out the two of them going in her apartment, gave them a long stare.

3 episodes left. Still putting my money on him being found guilty.

Reactions: SoddyNole
I'm wondering if Freddy may have something to do with it, could be why he was so interested in Nas. I know that's way out there, but you never know.

I went back and watched episode 1 to see Duanes interaction that night. He was definitely checking out the two of them going in her apartment, gave them a long stare.

3 episodes left. Still putting my money on him being found guilty.

So is he guilty, because being found guilty and being actually guilty are two different things.

So is he guilty, because being found guilty and being actually guilty are two different things.
exactly, I think he is found guilty. But we don't ever know for absolute sure if is or not. It's just a wild guess based on Serial and Adnan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT