ADVERTISEMENT

The song Dixie in the South

billyfsu76

Contributor
Jan 2, 2004
Orlando, FL
I went to a local music festival this weekend of bluegrass music in Apopka, FL. One of the bands played "Dixie" and, as the song started, some people stood up. Despite growing up in FL, I had never seen that before but assume it's common in other parts of the south. Some men even placed their hats over their hearts as one would for the national anthem. These were all elderly people which makes me wonder if the effect the song has on people is dying out with this last group of WW2 era folks. Does anyone know people who would stand while Dixie is played ? Am I just out of the loop with how common this still is in parts of the South ?​

Reactions: captree
I'm not really qualified to answer this, but I think the song means different things to different people (wow bartdog that was SOO profound...)

Yeah, whatever. There are some who are nostalgic because you really don't hear it that often. I think the chiefs used to play it but stopped because it is sometimes deemed racist to do so? It's tied to an era where the South's economic engine was fueled by slave labor. Obvi, no one alive now remembers THAT but they do remember a simpler time when it was OK to play the song and be proud of being from the South.

There are some who are in varying degrees of remembering the confederacy. This is a very broad sliding scale or spectrum, and I wouldn't want to over-generalize. Ranges from enjoying studying the history to being truly bitter about the outcome of the war between the states.

Someone else please opine.

Does Ole Miss still play it at their games?

Wow, I haven't heard that played in public in YEARS. I wouldn't stand up. I heard it often as a child and thought nothing of it.

Not sure if Ole Miss still plays it or not, but if they don't they just stopped very recently. uf used to play it all the time and I assume they stopped.

I grew up on dirt roads, dogs under the porch, lived in a trailer at times, and when my mother was young, she traveled on a horse and buggy. My family doesn't give a damn about Dixie, and it was never mentioned in my home.

I would remind you that the very old and almost gone generation of white southerners that would pay homage to that, are all devout Democrats. They are the real southern and historic Democrats who would NEVER vote for a Republican.

Reactions: goldmom
Wow, I haven't heard that played in public in YEARS. I wouldn't stand up. I heard it often as a child and thought nothing of it.

I would hear it every morning when I got up to go to Middle school in the mid-1970s. The small central florida town where I grew up had one main radio station. When they came on the air at 6:00 AM, it would always start with a stirring rendition of Dixie.

Which was just stupid. There is no valid reason for the change.

Maybe not valid to you.

The Ole Miss paper did an interview of an elderly (black) great grandmother (or grandmother) of a recruit who was attending the spring game (or regular season game) that was weeping when the song was being played. I'm sure there was a ton of journalistic embellishment but this encounter and story spread throughout the campus and was a big driving force behind removing the revel flag and the mascot.

I'm going to assume you're familiar w/ the history of Ole Miss campus and there's plenty of valid and historical reasons why the town and campus would stop.

On top of potentially losing dollars from recruits not wanting to come to a university that had a plantation owner and played Dixie at the school (reason why OU jumped all over the SAE fraternity).

Maybe not valid to you.

The Ole Miss paper did an interview of an elderly (black) great grandmother (or grandmother) of a recruit who was attending the spring game (or regular season game) that was weeping when the song was being played. I'm sure there was a ton of journalistic embellishment but this encounter and story spread throughout the campus and was a big driving force behind removing the revel flag and the mascot.

I'm going to assume you're familiar w/ the history of Ole Miss campus and there's plenty of valid and historical reasons why the town and campus would stop.

On top of potentially losing dollars from recruits not wanting to come to a university that had a plantation owner and played Dixie at the school (reason why OU jumped all over the SAE fraternity).
The 30 for 30, Ghosts of Ole Miss, is an excellent piece on that history.

Maybe not valid to you.

There are many that find our logo and traditions offensive. I hope you aren't in favor of FSU changing to a different mascot due to the ignorant rants of close minded people.

Anywho, this obviously could get political in nature and that's against the rules, so I will leave it with this post.

There are many that find our logo and traditions offensive. I hope you aren't in favor of FSU changing to a different mascot due to the ignorant rants of close minded people.

Anywho, this obviously could get political in nature and that's against the rules, so I will leave it with this post.

Is this for real?

Our university has the backing and support of the Seminole Indian tribe. Is Dixie, the rebel flag and a plantation owner mascot have the backing and support of the black population in Oxford? Was there a huge grass roots movement by our student population to remove all of the "traditions"?

I fail to see what is offensive about it. Doesn't mention slaves once.

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten.
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land!
In Dixie's Land, where I was born in,
early on one frosty mornin'.
I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie's Land I'll take my stand,
to live and die in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie!
There's buckwheat cakes and Injun batter,
Makes you fat or a little fatter.
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land
Then hoe it down and scratch your gravel,
To Dixie's Land I'm bound to travel.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie![15]

Only in America is the anthem of a rebellion still honored and celebrated instead of being crushed out of existence. God bless our freedoms.

Reactions: Democratic Nole

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten.
In Dixie's Land, where I was born in,
early on one frosty mornin'.
There's buckwheat cakes and Injun batter,
Makes you fat or a little fatter.
Then hoe it down and scratch your gravel,
To Dixie's Land I'm bound to travel.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie![15]
I thought it was an ex-slave singing the song, wishing he was back in Dixie

I thought it was an ex-slave singing the song, wishing he was back in Dixie

The song was undoubtedly big at minstrel shows, and sung by performers in blackface. But it'd be offensive to many even without that. Just like there's nothing innately offensive about the design of the confederate flag, but many find it offensive due to what it's associated with. Similarly Dixie would be associated with a love and nostalgia for the antebellum South, even without the blackface era stuff. So still an implication for some that the southern slave economy was good times.

http://www.balladofamerica.com/music/indexes/songs/dixiesland/index.htm

This link has an embed version performed closer to the slower 19th century tempo. Seems to have a verses that diverge from yours, but they're uplifting, not offensive

Dixie's Land

chorus:

Oh, I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie land I'll take my stand
To live and die in Dixie
Away, away, away down south in Dixie
Away, away, away down south in Dixie

verses:

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton
Old times there are not forgotten
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land

In Dixie land where I was born in
Early on one frosty mornin'
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land

(chorus)

Old Missus marry Will, the weaver
William was a gay deceiver
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land

But when he put his arm around her
He smiled as fierce as a forty pounder
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land

(chorus)

His face was sharp as a butcher's cleaver
But that did not seem to grieve her
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land

Old Missus acted the foolish part
And died for a man that broke her heart
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land

(chorus)

Now here's a health to the next old Missus
And all the gals that want to kiss us
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land

But if you want to drive away sorrow
Come and hear this song tomorrow
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land

It is heritage not hate.it is a shame that groups like the klan will cause history to be distorted.
The civil war was about states rights and trade embargoes not slavery ,
Oh that's right I went to a private school and was not indoctrinated by the liberal leftists.

Since the political thread gag order has been lifted.. Thoughts:

1. Cops that intentionally hurt or mistreat people should be treated as they did that person.

2. People who use real issues to steal and loot should have A10s called in on the crowd in live TV.

3. "Professional protesters" should be caned on live TV.

4. Politicians who sell political favors to foreign powers should be tried for treason and executed on live TV.

5. The inverse relationship between party lines and intelligence should be taught in school, and you should not be allowed to vote until you read Washington'Farewell Address.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Even though I grew up in Florida, my family members were all transplants from New York, and the song never meant much to me growing up. With the exception of a few hardcore pockets, it seems as though the importance for that song (and that era) might be fading out based on what people are replying.

Sure..............I stand for it every time I hear it.

clayton-bigsby-chappelle.jpg

It is heritage not hate.it is a shame that groups like the klan will cause history to be distorted.
The civil war was about states rights and trade embargoes not slavery ,
Oh that's right I went to a private school and was not indoctrinated by the liberal leftists.

So you're blaming this one on the Klan?

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before on here and maybe it was @seminole72 or @goldmom who provided these tidbits, but:

• Dixie was regularly played at college football games in the South, including FSU
  • The confederate flag often lead CFB teams out onto the field, including FSU
  • TV stations in the South used to sign off with Dixie when TV stations stopped broadcasting at night
For all practical purposes, Dixie remained the de facto national anthem for former Confederate states. My own personal speculation is that after the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1965, the Great Migration of blacks to the north stopped and Southern society became more integrated. Given the offensive nature of what Dixie stood for, I suspect many institutions let it go by the wayside.

Interesting info, Democratic Nole. As I alluded to above, for a while my local southern radio station used to play a very fast-paced and catchy version of it when they came on the air in the mornings in the 1970s.

It was a nice tune when performed well. According to Wiki, Lincoln loved it and had it played at several of his events.

I went to a local music festival this weekend of bluegrass music in Apopka, FL. One of the bands played "Dixie" and, as the song started, some people stood up. Despite growing up in FL, I had never seen that before but assume it's common in other parts of the south. Some men even placed their hats over their hearts as one would for the national anthem. These were all elderly people which makes me wonder if the effect the song has on people is dying out with this last group of WW2 era folks. Does anyone know people who would stand while Dixie is played ? Am I just out of the loop with how common this still is in parts of the South ?

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before on here and maybe it was @seminole72 or @goldmom who provided these tidbits, but:

• Dixie was regularly played at college football games in the South, including FSU
  • The confederate flag often lead CFB teams out onto the field, including FSU
  • TV stations in the South used to sign off with Dixie when TV stations stopped broadcasting at night
For all practical purposes, Dixie remained the de facto national anthem for former Confederate states. My own personal speculation is that after the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1965, the Great Migration of blacks to the north stopped and Southern society became more integrated. Given the offensive nature of what Dixie stood for, I suspect many institutions let it go by the wayside.

I was there, and I'm pretty sure Goldie was too when Dixie was played for the last time in Doak. 1970, I believe.

You are right, Demo, it was the anthem in the South. TV and radio stations in Jax signed on in the morning (there was no 24 hour broadcasting then) to the Star Spangled Banner and signed off at night to Dixie. My first FSU game was in lizardville in '61. We forced them into a tie (3-3). FSU folks decided to take down the goal posts as it was the first time we had not been beaten by the reptiles. Lizard boys recognized what was happening after one side went down. Brawl broke out. To stop it, The Marching Chiefs played Dixie because everyone came to attention when Dixie was played in 1961. (As it turned out, it didn't work. Lizard's never have had a sense of decorum ;). Security turned on the sprinklers to settle everyone down.)

In 1970, most everyone felt it was inappropriate for the Marching Chief's to play it. But it was still a staple for many schools and I believe Ole Miss still plays it today.

IThe Marching Chiefs played Dixie because everyone came to attention when Dixie was played in 1961. (As it turned out, it didn't work. Lizard's never have had a sense of decorum ;). Security turned on the sprinklers to settle everyone down.)

Funny.

As far as the national anthem in AM, then Dixie at night, I guess my little town decided that the opposite was more appropriate. Very spirited rendition of Dixie to wake you up. But then when TV signed off in the wee hours, a slower majestic version of the anthem, that ended by tacking on a very slow, haunting extra 2 lines (to the tune of "From the Halls of Montezuma......" while they showed film of our WWII soldiers raising the flag at Iwo Jima.

Is this for real?

Our university has the backing and support of the Seminole Indian tribe. Is Dixie, the rebel flag and a plantation owner mascot have the backing and support of the black population in Oxford? Was there a huge grass roots movement by our student population to remove all of the "traditions"?

The question would be "did Ole Miss have the support of CSA descendants?" If the question were, as you put it, directed towards "the black population," the question you'd ask regarding our mascot would be: "do we have the support of whites in south Georgia?"

I think it's offensive to erase history... mascots that tend to bring awareness to that region's history are beneficial to awareness. Most southern schools have mascots tied to the war for southern independence.

On to the Dixie conversation--I know someone well respected in his Florida community who sings it at every wedding he attends. It's a song of reverence, not of hate.

Reactions: Bartdog
Nope, we won the war. I do enjoy Floridians trying so hard to be Soutjern, though. I find it quite cute.
We have more than our share of Yanks here but Florida is Southern once you leave the tourist areas. Considering that I came from what's known as the Redneck Riveria or Lower Alabama, and I'm 100% Cajun, I'm pretty sure I qualify as Southern.

We have more than our share of Yanks here but Florida is Southern once you leave the tourist areas. Considering that I came from what's known as the Redneck Riveria or Lower Alabama, and I'm 100% Cajun, I'm pretty sure I qualify as Southern.
I'd agree with this. Most places north of Orlando is rather Southern. I grew up in Panama City and it far from a bunch of implants. Yes, they are there, but nothing like central and south Florida.

Florida's the one place where the norther you go, the souther you get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT