ADVERTISEMENT

This place has a lot of middle-aged white dudes, so

Who is your favorite rapper of all time?

• Tupac

Votes: 37 20.4%
  • Notorious B.I.G.

Votes: 19 10.5%
  • Dr. Dre

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • Snoop Dog

Votes: 18 9.9%
  • Jay-Z

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Eminem

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • Ice Cube

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Vanilla Ice - haha

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • Kanye West - haha x2

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • other - please list

Votes: 43 23.8%

• Total voters
Beastie-Boys-1024x7681.jpg

OP acknowledges we're mostly middle aged white guys, but fails to list the Beastie Boys.

4r9a54.gif%7Ec200

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Hmm, no Run DMC or Beastie Boys (heck I still play Newcleus) but then I saw the non-group comment. Still tough.

Rakim
Doug E. Fresh
Slick Rick
ICE-T
Bob Dylan
OP acknowledges we're mostly middle aged white guys, but fails to list the Beastie Boys.

4r9a54.gif%7Ec200

I can't stand it I know you planned it
I'm gonna set it straight, this watergate
I can't stand rocking when I'm in here
Because your crystal ball ain't so crystal clear
So while you sit back and wonder why
I got this f***ing thorn in my side
Oh my God, it's a mirage
I'm tellin' y'all it's sabotage

I can't stand it I know you planned it
I'm gonna set it straight, this watergate
I can't stand rocking when I'm in here
Because your crystal ball ain't so crystal clear
So while you sit back and wonder why
I got this f***ing thorn in my side
Oh my God, it's a mirage
I'm tellin' y'all it's sabotage

(there is a bad word or two)

The Proclaimers
Barenaked Ladies

Actually, I did think of the Barenaked Ladies. Although the majority of their stuff is great but slow rock and folk rock, they have a fair amount of light rap/rock as well. They're definitely amazing performers who know how to entertain a crowd. I've seen them twice in a 12 month period thanks to Universal and both times they were the best performers at Uni.

Actually, I did think of the Barenaked Ladies. Although the majority of their stuff is great but slow rock and folk rock, they have a fair amount of light rap/rock as well. They're definitely amazing performers who know how to entertain a crowd. I've seen them twice in a 12 month period thanks to Universal and both times they were the best performers at Uni.

Of course that post was tongue in cheek but yeah, they're good. Dirty J now though, he's legit. He can spit some rhymes...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
eric-b-rakim.jpg

A little amazed that Rakim has to be a write-in vote.

Same with Nas, Slick Rick, and Guru (Gangstarr).

Rakim is the greatest MC of all time.

who is your favorite rapper of all time? If you hate rap, choose other and put your favorite easy listening gangsta group.

Leaving out groups like ATCQ, Wu-Tang, etc. how can you leave Nas off this list?

who is your favorite rapper of all time? If you hate rap, choose other and put your favorite easy listening gangsta group.
For individuals, my favorites were/are:

Ice-T
Redman
Busta Rhymes
Ice Cube

For groups, my favorites were/are:

Public Enemy
Geto Boys
Tribe Called Quest

I really liked the first few albums that Snoop put out, but after a while, it all started to sound pretty generic/the same to me.

The same thing with the first 3 DMX albums. I really like them a lot, but after that, it was all kind of the same.

I'm 40 and I'm wearing a Tribe Called Quest t-shirt right now.

That said, as great as ATCQ are/were, they weren't the BEST mc's. They were very good, but not the best.

Guru on the other hand...

Group - The Pharcyde

That first Pharcyde album is one of the most criminally underrated hip hop albums of all time. They had elements of so many future hiphop subgenres: weed (Pack tha pipe), horrorcore (4 Better or 4 worse, backpack (most of it), etc. That album was is heavy rotation while I was at FSU.

Too bad they fell off after. 2nd album just wasn't as good, imo.

Reactions: MathisJones
I'm 40 and I'm wearing a Tribe Called Quest t-shirt right now.

That said, as great as ATCQ are/were, they weren't the BEST mc's. They were very good, but not the best.

Guru on the other hand...

Guru - RIP. Q-tip was a great MC. Phife, not so much.

I know we're delving off the topic of best ever but here's a few I used to listen to that I haven't seen mentioned, some great, some horrible- EPMD, Too Short, Fugees/Wyclef, The D.O.C, 3rd Base, Gucci Crew, MC ShyD, Tone Loc, the Fat Boys, Biz Markie, IceT, Arrested Development, De La Sol, Digable Planets, Leaders of the New School, Goodie Mob.

Andre 3000 is my favorite hip hop artist. He's part of my favorite hip hop group/duo & his guest appearances are always incredible. "International Players Anthem" by UGK ft. OutKast is one of my favorite songs ever. "Wetness all around me, true, but I'm no island..."

Kurupt at his best is severely underrated. Doggystyle was fantastic for many reasons - Snoop, Dre's (or Daz's) production - but Kurupt shined like a damn star on that album. And Dogg Food, he was great. His guest appearances are always fun.

My favorite album is Liquid Swords (GZA/Genius).

So that's South, West, & East. Other favorites include, but not limited to:

Biggie
Nas
Redman
Wu Tang (Ghost, Rae, GZA mainly)
Bun B
Talib Kweli
Murs

I missed Rakim. He was a few years ahead of my time. Recognize his greatness, but I never went back to his stuff.

FYI, Ice Cube is on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon tonight. Perhaps there should be a spin-off thread or an add on here for rappers who have done well as actors. Ice Cube would be on the list, but Will Smith would shoot up the charts.

From the Ice Cube teaser clip, I am absolutely stunned to learn that N.W.A. doesn't stand for Nickelback Was Awesome.

The Chronic, Ice Cube's album, and Doggystyle were staples of my college years. I don't have much desire to listen to that stuff now, but we partied to that stuff back in the day.

Actually, I think this may be the best rapper of all times. He's made out with every girl in the world and he's got 400 scars with 400 guitars.

Last edited:
Although this rap battle shows white guys can't rap, who gives a (*&) that he beat up everyone in jail. Eli versus Envy is the pinnacle of the genre. You should watch the whole thing, but the best is at 2:50 into the video.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT