ADVERTISEMENT

Titanic tourist submersible is missing.

Yeah I wonder if they already succumbed to the rising CO2 level inside.

I was wondering silently why there wasn’t a way to use some o2 early on to rise to the surface?
Then I just watched a report that asked the same thing

I know armchair QB crap

Hopefully they just fell asleep and passed on peacefully

Reactions: CC0492
I was wondering silently why there wasn’t a way to use some o2 early on to rise to the surface?
Then I just watched a report that asked the same thing

I know armchair QB crap

Hopefully they just fell asleep and passed on peacefully
That's what would happen unless they had a mechanical or hull issue that caused a breach. If its the latter it wouldn't be so pretty.

So how long do they try to recover the craft until they decide to leave it down there as part of the historic memorial site?

Until the money runs out. Me thinks the billionaire's family will continue the search for a while.
I doubt the billionaires family will be reimbursing the governments and companies involved for a penny of this. They should be on the hook for it but I doubt it. Plus, they need to save money for the lawsuits that are forthcoming.

Reactions: goldmom
3 pm press conference in Boston according to the Coast Guard. Debris field found by an ROV this morning. Doesn't look like good news.

They lost comms 1hr45min into descent. Isn't that only about halfway down? I don't know if all subs descend at the same speed, but it's a very slow descent.
I think they freefall to the bottom to save battery power.

The only one for whom I lack some sympathy is the owner of ocean gate. He designed the sub built the sub and knew the risk. The actual risk.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Some of the details...

"During a Thursday press conference, officials stated that a remotely operated underwater vehicle (ROV) from the vessel Horizon Artic discovered the tail cone of the submersible at the tail bow of the Titanic.

The Coast Guard stated that there is indication that the submersible imploded 1,600 feet from the Titanic’s bow. They also stated that the debris found on the ocean floor was consistent with a “catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber.”

Five major pieces of debris of what remains of the Titan were found. The nosecone was the largest piece discovered. One of the two debris fields that were discovered contained the front-end bell of the pressure hole. This indicated to officials that a catastrophic event had occurred. The second smaller debris field that was found contained the aft end bell."

https://www.oann.com/newsroom/u-s-c...ub-crew-vessel-parts-discovered-near-titanic/

• Sad
What's an "implosion?"

The submarine exploded or just crumbled and the occupants drowned?
Is this a serious question?

LCarS9t.gif

I get the implosion part, but was debris field created upon impact with the bottom?

Or did implosion also cause an explosion of the O2 onboard, and thus blowing the sub into pieces?

I get the implosion part, but was debris field created upon impact with the bottom?

Or did implosion also cause an explosion of the O2 onboard, and thus blowing the sub into pieces?
At those depths if there is a small , tiny, miniscule opening, the pressure outside would cause all the air inside to get sucked out. As that happens, the metal would implode as the air gets sucked out. The pressure on the outside of the sub is getting crushed by something in the neighborhood of 8 tons of pressure per square inch. The outside pressure is greater than the inside pressure, thus an implosion. The metal was getting crushed. As that was happening, the occupants ear drums first ruptured, causing them to pass out, then all the air was sucked out of their lungs and bloodstream. That caused their bodies to basically get sucked in as well and the pressure would crush their bones.

All this happens in a few milliseconds. Nobody felt anything or even knew what was going on. They didn't suffer and had no time to be scared. They were just here one second and gone the next.

It happened during the descent, so the debris would scatter as it was sinking to the ocean floor. Currents would scatter it as it was falling, depending on the weight of each piece. Apparently they were 1600 feet above the seabed when it happened.

The Titanic didn't implode because as it was sinking, the air was able to escape through the doors, windows and the hull where it broke in half. There was no air left when it reached deeper depths.

Last edited:
At those depths if there is a small , tiny, miniscule opening, the pressure would cause all the air would get sucked out. As that happens, the metal would implode as it is getting crushed by something in the neighborhood of 8 tons of pressure per square inch. As that was happening, the occupants ear drums first ruptured, causing them to pass out, then all the air was sucked out of their lungs and bloodstream. That caused their bodies to basically get sucked in as well and the pressure would crush their bones.

It happened during the descent, so the debris would scatter as it was sinking to the ocean floor. Currents would scatter it as it was falling, depending on the weight of each piece. Apparently they were 1600 feet above the seabed when it happened.

All this happens in a few milliseconds. Nobody felt anything or even knew what was going on. They didn't suffer and had no time to be scared. They were just here one second and gone the next.

The Titanic didn't implode because as it was sinking, the air was able to escape through the doors, windows and the hull where it broke in half. There was no air left when it reached deeper depths.
Thanks for this explanation.

So now I read that the US Navy heard the implosion and reported it to the Coast Guard on Monday.
Yeah. Sounds like this thing was gone almost immediately after they lost contact with it. Makes the most sense. The sub had a bunch of features built in that would have automatically surfaced it even if the entire crew was dead or unconscious. So never made sense it was just floating around down there for days.

At those depths if there is a small , tiny, miniscule opening, the pressure outside would cause all the air inside to get sucked out. As that happens, the metal would implode as the air gets sucked out. The pressure on the outside of the sub is getting crushed by something in the neighborhood of 8 tons of pressure per square inch. The outside pressure is greater than the inside pressure, thus an implosion. The metal was getting crushed. As that was happening, the occupants ear drums first ruptured, causing them to pass out, then all the air was sucked out of their lungs and bloodstream. That caused their bodies to basically get sucked in as well and the pressure would crush their bones.

Actually the stern section of the Titanic did implode on the way down as it had air trapped inside. The bow section filled but the stern didn't. Sorta like putting a cup in the water open end first, air gets trapped.

Survivors of the sinking reported they heard the implosion of the stern.

• Wow
At those depths if there is a small , tiny, miniscule opening, the pressure outside would cause all the air inside to get sucked out. As that happens, the metal would implode as the air gets sucked out.

I don't understand this. If the pressure outside the sub was greater than the pressure inside the air in the sub would not get sucked out. In space where the pressure is lower the air would get sucked out.

On another note

I don't understand this. If the pressure outside the sub was greater than the pressure inside the air in the sub would not get sucked out. In space where the pressure is lower the air would get sucked out.

On another note

The pressure in space is zero because the air that surrounds you weighs next to nothing. The deeper you go the pressure increases because you have the weight of the water above you pressing on you. Water weighs more than air.

Would it be better to say this: The pressure outside the sub crushed it once there was a breech. Air was able to escape and then the submarine crushed due to the immense pressure at that depth. If a balloon has a pin hole in it, the air would escape the more pressure you apply. Without that pin hole, the air remains inside. Unless there is so much outside pressure then it explodes. The submarines are supposed to made of materials that are able to withstand 8 tons of pressure per square inch, unlike a balloon.

Last edited:
The pressure in space is zero because the air that surrounds you weighs next to nothing. The deeper you go the pressure increases because you have the weight of the water above you pressing on you. Water weighs more than air.

Would it be better to say this: The pressure outside the sub crushed it once there was a breech. Air was able to escape and then the submarine crushed due to the immense pressure at that depth. If a balloon has a pin hole in it, the air would escape the more pressure you apply. Without that pin hole, the air remains inside. Unless there is so much outside pressure then it explodes. The submarines are supposed to made of materials that are able to withstand 8 tons of pressure per square inch, unlike a balloon.

Yes that is more accurate to say. When scuba diving get double the atmosphere at 33 ft. Going from memory it's triple the atmosphere at 66 ft or maybe quadruple. For this reason you can stay down less and less time as you go deeper.

Side note here's a legal cover your ass

Yes that is more accurate to say. When scuba diving get double the atmosphere at 33 ft. Going from memory it's triple the atmosphere at 66 ft or maybe quadruple. For this reason you can stay down less and less time as you go deeper.

Side note here's a legal cover your ass

The pressure at that depth would be around 5500 lb per sq inch if the math is right. 14.6 lbs at sea level and it increases 1 atmosphere (14.6lbs per inch) every 33ft so 5530.

Air was able to escape and then the submarine crushed due to the immense pressure at that depth.
The air doesn't actually "escape", it is crushed to 5500 psi just like everything else.
A tiny pinhole in the hull would not let the air inside escape. Water would come in through the tiny hole as a 5500 psi water jet destroying anything in it's path.

The air doesn't actually "escape", it is crushed to 5500 psi just like everything else.
A tiny pinhole in the hull would not let the air inside escape. Water would come in through the tiny hole as a 5500 psi water jet destroying anything in it's path.
Plus the air inside is compressing at a high rate of speed, this along with the water entering under extreme pressure would also cause extreme heat. So in essence they were drown, crushed and burned before they ever knew what hit them. Oh and likely cut to shreds by a super high pressure jet of water.

Reactions: F4Gary
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT