ADVERTISEMENT

Titanic tourist submersible is missing.

A submersible that takes rich folks down to see the Titanic in person is missing. $250,000 per person. Whoops.
Shit. You would think they had a solid safety protocol.
Maybe they surface soon.
Whoopsie daisy.

I read an article about this a year or so ago. I can’t remember where it was but it’s pretty fascinating. It’s not $250k per person I’m almost sure. But it was a lot of money and no guarantee at all you’ll see it. They’d go out on a boat and then basically wait for all the conditions to be perfect before they’d even try to go down. Even then there wasn’t a guarantee they’d see it as it’s not easy to find with how dark it is and how much of it has already decomposed. So people would spend this exorbitant amount of money and still plenty of times wouldn’t even get to see it. I highly doubt they’ll ever find this thing, would be a needle in a haystack and I’m sure there’s no way they haven’t run out of air. Sad stuff.

Edit I do see now that it’s being reported $250k. For some reason the article I read I thought it was more like $50k.

Last edited:
I read where they said 96 hours of o2

With panic breathing it would most likely lower that length of time

No back up sub?
No beacons?

Hell I saw the movie why would I need to personally get into a diving casket to get a closeup?

So a couple rich folks pay 250k each to get in a casket (sub) to go 13,000 feet under water at a pressure of around 5700 lb per sq inch. Just for comparison the pressure at sea level is 14.6. That's just one of a number of issues at that depth. This sub gets lost and multiple countries navies and coast guards are spending millions and risking lives to find them. Isn't there a inherent risk in this behavior and shouldn't the company that does this be held financially responsible for the bill? Just like a rescue swimmer that dies while saving an idiot that swims in a double red. The person they saved should be sued for negligence at best.

Compare that reaction to a boatful of migrants sinking and it makes no sense.

So a couple rich folks pay 250k each to get in a casket (sub) to go 13,000 feet under water at a pressure of around 5700 lb per sq inch. Just for comparison the pressure at sea level is 14.6. That's just one of a number of issues at that depth. This sub gets lost and multiple countries navies and coast guards are spending millions and risking lives to find them. Isn't there a inherent risk in this behavior and shouldn't the company that does this be held financially responsible for the bill? Just like a rescue swimmer that dies while saving an idiot that swims in a double red. The person they saved should be sued for negligence at best.

Compare that reaction to a boatful of migrants sinking and it makes no sense.

My thoughts exactly!

Like climbing my Everest! It’s a risk but it’s their risk!

When you knowingly put yourself in a high risk situation for personal gain, it’s on you

Do not expect the Calvary to rescue you!

Reactions: BrianNole777
They lost comms 1hr45min into descent. Isn't that only about halfway down? I don't know if all subs descend at the same speed, but it's a very slow descent.

Shit. You would think they had a solid safety protocol.
Maybe they surface soon.
Whoopsie daisy.
From memory they've done '90s successful trips already. There's risk in everything.

Rich tourists can also go into space and there's a high risk in that I bet.

As far as liability I'm sure there's tons of legal proof waivers of liability. Common Sense would tell you the risk is huge.

From memory they've done '90s successful trips already. There's risk in everything.

As far as liability I'm sure there's tons of legal proof waivers of liability. Common Sense would tell you the risk is huge.
Common sense is not common.

So lets say the sub gets turned into a smashed can and they dont recover them. The governments of two countries have spent millions of dollars on search and recovery efforts. Someone should be on the hook for that.

I read that it was only the 3rd trip for this particular vessel.

I'm reading some sketchy stuff about this sub. Carbon fiber hull because it was cheaper than titanium. They are bolted in, only way out is for someone on the outside to unbolt the hatch.
Was not originally certified to 12,500 but was later lowered to 13,000...by the owner/CEO.
Doesn't sound promising right now.

I'm reading some sketchy stuff about this sub. Carbon fiber hull because it was cheaper than titanium. They are bolted in, only way out is for someone on the outside to unbolt the hatch.
Was not originally certified to 12,500 but was later lowered to 13,000...by the owner/CEO.
Doesn't sound promising right now.
I wonder what credentials he has to certify hull crush depth on submarines? I mean its only 220 lb per sq inch difference so what could go wrong? Cheaper hull, sketchy depth certs sounds like a story out of Russia.

I'm reading some sketchy stuff about this sub. Carbon fiber hull because it was cheaper than titanium.

Yes a carbon fiber hull. Whistleblower was fired.

But then again maybe not carbon fiber after further reading.

"Spencer Composites says that the Titan was not using its carbon fiber hull on Sunday’s dive."

Yes a carbon fiber hull. Whistleblower was fired.

But then again maybe not carbon fiber after further reading.

"Spencer Composites says that the Titan was not using its carbon fiber hull on Sunday’s dive."

This will be an interesting investigation to say the least. Safe to say this company probably wont be taking folks underwater anymore. Why wouldn't you have someone like the American Bureau of Shipping certify the hull and why isn't it a requirement? This statement is a good one too. "The vast majority of marine (and aviation) accidents are a result of operator error, not mechanical failure,” it reads. “As a result, simply focusing on classing the vessel does not address the operational risks. Maintaining high-level operational safety requires constant, committed effort and a focused corporate culture – two things that OceanGate takes very seriously and that are not assessed during classification.” Wow.

Unless it compressed rapidly it would be a slow painful death

Imagine the thoughts going through your head for hours of the loved ones you can’t say goodbye too, the regrets you can’t make right, things you could have said and done but now you can’t

I guess the only good thing would be it gives time to get right with God!

A horrible way to go!

I didn't know the Titanic less than 4 hours from shore when it sunk. If they could have only hung on for 4 hours they could have grounded it and saved a lot of lives.

4 hours to launch the sub from departure. And it took time to prep the sub for the dive. So maybe two or three hours from shore.

TIMELINE OF MISSING SUBMERSIBLE
SUNDAY

4AM: Departure from Newfoundland on expedition ship the Polar Prince

8AM: The Titan, a five-person, 22ft submersible, submerges

9.45AM: Titan loses comms with the expedition ship

5.40PM: US Coast Guard alerted

9.13PM: Coast Guard station in Nova Scotia alerted

MONDAY

Missing sub is first reported by media

THURSDAY 8AM: 96 hours since submersion

I didn't know the Titanic less than 4 hours from shore when it sunk. If they could have only hung on for 4 hours they could have grounded it and saved a lot of lives.

4 hours to launch the sub from departure. And it took time to prep the sub for the dive. So maybe two or three hours from shore.

TIMELINE OF MISSING SUBMERSIBLE
SUNDAY

4AM: Departure from Newfoundland on expedition ship the Polar Prince

8AM: The Titan, a five-person, 22ft submersible, submerges

9.45AM: Titan loses comms with the expedition ship

5.40PM: US Coast Guard alerted

9.13PM: Coast Guard station in Nova Scotia alerted

MONDAY

Missing sub is first reported by media

THURSDAY 8AM: 96 hours since submersion

The Titanic is around 350 miles off shore. At 24 knots or around 27mph that would take around 12 hours. So that expedition ship the Polar Prince can go 87 mph in the water?

The Titanic is around 350 miles off shore. At 24 knots or around 27mph that would take around 12 hours. So that expedition ship the Polar Prince can go 87 mph in the water?

Before boarding the sub, Pogue was given a tour of the vessel, during which he commented on its “improvised design.” This included lighting from Camping World and an unofficial Playstation controller used to drive the submarine.

Before boarding the sub, Pogue was given a tour of the vessel, during which he commented on its “improvised design.” This included lighting from Camping World and an unofficial Playstation controller used to drive the submarine.

What a shit show this is turning into. You have to feel bad for the folks on the sub and their families but what an example of a completely avoidable event.

No power. Imagine sitting in a minivan with 4 buddies, no seats, in the pitch black where you can’t see each other and it’s 39 degrees outside.

• Sad
I don't think it has a heat source either. They could die of exposure. The water is close to freezing down there.
I read a few articles that stated the same thing and they are unlikely to last until the 96 hours of air runs out.

Reactions: CC0492
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT