ADVERTISEMENT

WARCHANT Bourbon Thread

Tri cities nole, did you get my DM?

I just got back to ya Ben, work's been hectic the last couple days. I would like to try more Yellowstone, I bought a bottle last week for my trip to the Cabin in the Mountains, but wasn't impressed with it for the price. It wasn't terrible, has a great flavor on the front, but very little finish. At $106 it didn't stand up to the EH Taylor Single Barrel or the Larceny Barrel Proof C920, which cost less than half of what the Yellowstone did.
When you get back to town, go have a meal at Southern Craft or Label, both have a great selection at good prices, and awesome food as well 😉, also the bar at the Carnegie Hotel gets some gems as well.

I will let you know when I get time to ride up to BB for a visit, but it may be a few weeks.

Bill

For what it is worth, I went to a liquor store I frequent and they recommended a Koval store pick straight rye whiskey. Koval is a distiller out of Chicago and let some of their customers sample barrels and buy selected barrels. This is a pretty good liquor store and the proprietor allowed me to taste the whiskey prior to purchase. These were 55% ABV. Cost was around 50 bucks and it was one of the best whiskeys I have ever had. I bought 2 bottles and went back today for more but he was sold out. If you run into this and like rye whiskey I would buy what you can. Remember it is the "store pick" that you are looking for.

For what it is worth, I went to a liquor store I frequent and they recommended a Koval store pick straight rye whiskey. Koval is a distiller out of Chicago and let some of their customers sample barrels and buy selected barrels. This is a pretty good liquor store and the proprietor allowed me to taste the whiskey prior to purchase. These were 55% ABV. Cost was around 50 bucks and it was one of the best whiskeys I have ever had. I bought 2 bottles and went back today for more but he was sold out. If you run into this and like rye whiskey I would buy what you can. Remember it is the "store pick" that you are looking for.

You’re lucky you can do that & I don’t disagree. Anywhere that you can try before you buy is awesome. But...some states you cannot. The great thing about store picks is that you can find a great barrel that’s completely different than what a standard profile of that brand is because they’re not batching them. (I know that you know this.)
Rye’s can be worlds different. I’ve been in some ricks & had barrels that are spicy powerhouses, then move to another barrel & it be floral & an incredibly easy drinker at barrel strength. I’ve also bought store picks I’d wished I hadn’t from brands that I usually love. 😄

Reactions: chumleynole
You’re lucky you can do that & I don’t disagree. Anywhere that you can try before you buy is awesome. But...some states you cannot. The great thing about store picks is that you can find a great barrel that’s completely different than what a standard profile of that brand is because they’re not batching them. (I know that you know this.)
Rye’s can be worlds different. I’ve been in some ricks & had barrels that are spicy powerhouses, then move to another barrel & it be floral & an incredibly easy drinker at barrel strength. I’ve also bought store picks I’d wished I hadn’t from brands that I usually love. 😄
Got in line this morning for the bourbon drop of eagle rare and Blantons in Birmingham. 2nd in line and couldn’t buy due to the fact I don’t have an Alabama ID. First time they’ve asked for it to be bama only

• Sad
Reactions: -OB1-
Got in line this morning for the bourbon drop of eagle rare and Blantons in Birmingham. 2nd in line and couldn’t buy due to the fact I don’t have an Alabama ID. First time they’ve asked for it to be bama only

Yeah they started that this year. Lol that sucks. Hopefully you didn’t drive too far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT