ADVERTISEMENT

WARCHANT Bourbon Thread

As in Weller? All of them. 😄
Have you tried the Kosher Buffalo Trace, also what's your take on 1792 sweet wheat
I don't know how to post pictures but I found a Weller 12, McKenna 10, Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond, 1792 sweet wheat and sazerac rye today.

Reactions: -OB1-
Have you tried the Kosher Buffalo Trace, also what's your take on 1792 sweet wheat
I don't know how to post pictures but I found a Weller 12, McKenna 10, Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond, 1792 sweet wheat and sazerac rye today.

I haven’t had the Kosher. Sweet Wheat gets a lot of love, but it’s not my fave of their lineup. It’s good, but I’m more of a fan of their Full Proof.

Good pickups!👌

The difference is that Small Batch is a blend of their recipes & set at a specific standard 90 proof.
Single barrel store picks are from a single recipe & barrel. (1 of 10 recipes possible) They vary on proof as well since they’re barrel strength, which is going to be much higher than small batch. This all depends on how old they are & where they were placed in the Rickhouse, etc.

You can however find single barrels at 100 proof as well. Just depends on what the store selected.

I know it’s complicated... To answer the first part as to the comparisons...they really don’t compare. 😆
I did get my first bottle of FR single barrel and it is really delightful. 100 proof. Thanks.

I haven’t had the Kosher. Sweet Wheat gets a lot of love, but it’s not my fave of their lineup. It’s good, but I’m more of a fan of their Full Proof.

Good pickups!👌
Thanks for the response. I'm sure I over paid for the Weller $ 150 I couldn't walk away

For what it is worth after trying very hard to avoid it I did end up contracting Covid 19. Very mild case and I have since recovered. Did not even develop a cough. I lost my sense of smell completely and while most food still has flavor I have lost my ability to taste whiskey. I am sitting here drinking cask strength Elijah Craig and all I can discern is the alcohol burn. I hope this does not last too long.

For what it is worth after trying very hard to avoid it I did end up contracting Covid 19. Very mild case and I have since recovered. Did not even develop a cough. I lost my sense of smell completely and while most food still has flavor I have lost my ability to taste whiskey. I am sitting here drinking cask strength Elijah Craig and all I can discern is the alcohol burn. I hope this does not last too long.

I have a couple buddies go through this. Seemed like a couple weeks for one & about a month for the other before they could get their taster back.

Blanton’s is great. Anything over $65 is too much, though. Weller FP, haven’t seen any. My WSR I got for $43 for a 1.75. It’s great.

Blanton’s is great. Anything over $65 is too much, though. Weller FP, haven’t seen any. My WSR I got for $43 for a 1.75. It’s great.

I haven’t seen Blantons for less than $80 anywhere in the southeast in the last two years. Only out west can you get so cheap it seems

I haven’t seen Blantons for less than $80 anywhere in the southeast in the last two years. Only out west can you get so cheap it seems
If I get incredibly lucky, I can get it for $64.99 here in North Carolina as it’s state controlled and they have to sell at MSRP. The problem is, the guys at the distribution center tell their friends (or get paid by “bourbon flippers”) when it comes in and where it’s going. My local store manager said he knows he’s getting a good truck an hour before it arrives as there are already people lined up before the truck gets there.

Reactions: primetime13
Blantons is $59.99 here in VA.
Yeah, I have access to a pretty good source and it's around that price here in NE Tennessee as well.

I'll be honest, most batches are underwhelming to me but they had a very good batch recently that I bought.

For the money, the Larceny Barrell Select is my go to the last couple months. All 3 different batches I have had have been outstanding.

Yeah, I have access to a pretty good source and it's around that price here in NE Tennessee as well.

I'll be honest, most batches are underwhelming to me but they had a very good batch recently that I bought.

For the money, the Larceny Barrell Select is my go to the last couple months. All 3 different batches I have had have been outstanding.
Do you shop at B&B in Kingsport?

Hey brother, do you mind if I ask what it retailed for? I've only seen it on the secondary markets. If you actually open it let me know how it tastes.
It was not at retail. I paid $500 for it. But, that is a very good price for that bottle as you will usually see it for $800 and up.

The Barrel Proof? If that’s the one you’re talking about I agree.

It was not at retail. I paid $500 for it. But, that is a very good price for that bottle as you will usually see it for $800 and up.

Oof... You’re making me feel bad passing one up at $375. 😆

How about this spread?
IMG-2453.jpg

Reactions: Nole_Dynasty
Great spread for sure. I live in a controlled state so i have to play the lottery to get BTAC and Pappy and i refuse to pay crazy prices, so i'm in each of those bottles at retail.
The bottle, second from the right, is the trophy in that pic. That is the 2017 Al Young 50th Anniversary Four Roses.
Considered by some to be the best pour ever.

The bottle, second from the right, is the trophy in that pic. That is the 2017 Al Young 50th Anniversary Four Roses.
Considered by some to be the best pour ever.

Considered by me to be the best. No way I’m paying secondary for another bottle though lol.

Look... I obviously spend a lot of money on bourbon, but I have principals too. 😏

I looked all over richmond, didn’t find a thinf
Richmond is the wrong place to be looking for anything allocated. You would have to be there on delivery day and an hour before open. Thanks to the pandemic, people now have all this extra time to wait in line for Blantons, Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare lol

Reactions: primetime13
Considered by me to be the best. No way I’m paying secondary for another bottle though lol.

Look... I obviously spend a lot of money on bourbon, but I have principals too. 😏
My favorite pour might surprise you. Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project barrel 24. I have been lucky to find 2 bottles from barrel 24. Best taste ever and I have had most.

Richmond is the wrong place to be looking for anything allocated. You would have to be there on delivery day and an hour before open. Thanks to the pandemic, people now have all this extra time to wait in line for Blantons, Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare lol
I was there for work... was trying to test my luck after my Tennessee finds

My favorite pour might surprise you. Buffalo Trace Single Oak Project barrel 24. I have been lucky to find 2 bottles from barrel 24. Best taste ever and I have had most.
Last Year's Handy was amazing, I'd love to find a bottle for a fair secondary price.

I haven't had the pleasure of that Four Roses Pour, but you aren't the first person I've heard throw accollades it's way, perhaps I'll get lucky one day.

I'll restart - to we mortals without access to Pappy's ….
.. .take it

- neat or with a cube

- Blanton's or Wellers?
- Woodford or Makers?
- Old Forrester or Jefferson's?

- Ever acceptable to have a slice of lime with bourbon?

Why is bourbon better than other US whiskey? What about Yippee Ki Yay

Is Rye whiskey better than Canadian Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey?

Crown Royal or Jack Daniels?

What goes best with a cigar ….

Please … anything but more waiting on Bob ….
Old post, but great questions...

Never use ice, if you must chill it, use a whiskey stone. Cheap Bourbon doesn't matter as much, but anything over 50 bucks, and I lose respect for folks who add more than a drop or two of h20.

I have tasted Bourbons with several different accoutrements... Chocolates, Pickles, Limes, and weirdest of all Spicy Candy like red hots or Hot Tamales. Anything that broadens your pallet or gives you a very different expression of the same whiskey is enjoyable. But I don't mix Bourbons or Ryes, I sip them Neat. Canadian I always mix, I do not enjoy Canadian whiskey neat, I mean I can drink it, but I don't get the depth of flavors or the diversity with Canadian. Scotch, Bourbon, Ryes and even Irish Whiskey's are enjoyable because of the immense diversity of flavors.

Yipee Ki Yay is outstanding!

Bourbon, Rye, Scotches to me each provide a different experience. With Bourbons I love the diversity of flavors, from your super long finish of a great Stagg, to the smooth delicious notes in EH Taylor, too your glorious Wheated Bourbons like the Weller's & Pappy's, to the challenge of finding great cheap selections to drink regularly like Larceny, Willet Potstill, Baysil and even BT.
Scotch also has diversity, but more so on the spectrum of Peat and Smoke. However, I LOVE a great Highlands Scotch, like the Dalmore Cigar Malt (a great cigar pairing of course) but even it is inferior to the King Alexander or the late Mortlach 18. For me, those are the flavor profiles I enjoy most in the Scotch Line, as it gets more peaty, I don't enjoy it as much.
Ryes... Oh Lord, I hate to admit this, but Sipping a Rye with a Cigar is my favorite. From a cheap Sazerac, to a 55 dollar bottle of Willets 4 year rare release all the way up to the Thomas Handy in the BTAC, I can drink a OK Rye and still love it, Bourbons and Scotches all have some that I want nothing to do with, but Rye is my live. Now there are bad Rye's, but I've never had a decent or better Rye I didn't like, where as I encounter some Bourbon flavors that aren't appealing.

Ok...
Weller's > Blanton's (I'm not a huge Blanton's guy, they get maybe 1 great batch out of 8)
Woodford > Makers (BUT Makers is a better tasting ecperience)
Old Forester Statesman or better > Jeffersons Ocean... BUT I like Jeffersons cheapest stuff better than Old Foresters Cheapest stuff. Birthday Bourbon 2006 is my favorite Bourbon I've tasted.

Now the Cigar Answer, you can drink whatever appeals to you with your stogie. For me I enjoy a morning Coffee with a mild Sungrown or even Habano. I enjoy bolder Cigars when I pair with any whiskey though. However there are some Cigars that just don't go with Bourbons or Scotches, as they interfere with the flavor of the drink... Strong Sticks with strong earthy or sweet flavors, I prefer to drink a beer or a cheap whiskey that isn't wasted.
But, if you have never tried it, read up on how Cubans used to dip their Cigars in Rum & Molasses or Honey, and rub it in. I tried it once and it was really good.

As long as your tasting and learning Whiskey's with good friends, or smoking that Opus X that you can only get at the Holidays, the important thing is you enjoy it. Don't let others tell you what you should like or that you can't pair your stogy with a yoo-hoo if you enjoy that, it's all subjective, we all taste that same bourbon differently.

If you know B&B you must be close enough to meet up for a good drink and cigar, gonna send ya a DM with my cell, text me next time you get over and we'll go hunt for some good finds and have a drink/stick if

If you know B&B you must be close enough to meet up for a good drink and cigar, gonna send ya a DM with my cell, text me next time you get over and we'll go hunt for some good finds and have a drink/stick if your interested.
I responded to your DM. Going to take you up on that offer.

Reactions: Tri-Cities Nole
Old post, but great questions...

Never use ice, if you must chill it, use a whiskey stone. Cheap Bourbon doesn't matter as much, but anything over 50 bucks, and I lose respect for folks who add more than a drop or two of h20.

I have tasted Bourbons with several different accoutrements... Chocolates, Pickles, Limes, and weirdest of all Spicy Candy like red hots or Hot Tamales. Anything that broadens your pallet or gives you a very different expression of the same whiskey is enjoyable. But I don't mix Bourbons or Ryes, I sip them Neat. Canadian I always mix, I do not enjoy Canadian whiskey neat, I mean I can drink it, but I don't get the depth of flavors or the diversity with Canadian. Scotch, Bourbon, Ryes and even Irish Whiskey's are enjoyable because of the immense diversity of flavors.

Yipee Ki Yay is outstanding!

Bourbon, Rye, Scotches to me each provide a different experience. With Bourbons I love the diversity of flavors, from your super long finish of a great Stagg, to the smooth delicious notes in EH Taylor, too your glorious Wheated Bourbons like the Weller's & Pappy's, to the challenge of finding great cheap selections to drink regularly like Larceny, Willet Potstill, Baysil and even BT.
Scotch also has diversity, but more so on the spectrum of Peat and Smoke. However, I LOVE a great Highlands Scotch, like the Dalmore Cigar Malt (a great cigar pairing of course) but even it is inferior to the King Alexander or the late Mortlach 18. For me, those are the flavor profiles I enjoy most in the Scotch Line, as it gets more peaty, I don't enjoy it as much.
Ryes... Oh Lord, I hate to admit this, but Sipping a Rye with a Cigar is my favorite. From a cheap Sazerac, to a 55 dollar bottle of Willets 4 year rare release all the way up to the Thomas Handy in the BTAC, I can drink a OK Rye and still love it, Bourbons and Scotches all have some that I want nothing to do with, but Rye is my live. Now there are bad Rye's, but I've never had a decent or better Rye I didn't like, where as I encounter some Bourbon flavors that aren't appealing.

Ok...
Weller's > Blanton's (I'm not a huge Blanton's guy, they get maybe 1 great batch out of 8)
Woodford > Makers (BUT Makers is a better tasting ecperience)
Old Forester Statesman or better > Jeffersons Ocean... BUT I like Jeffersons cheapest stuff better than Old Foresters Cheapest stuff. Birthday Bourbon 2006 is my favorite Bourbon I've tasted.

Now the Cigar Answer, you can drink whatever appeals to you with your stogie. For me I enjoy a morning Coffee with a mild Sungrown or even Habano. I enjoy bolder Cigars when I pair with any whiskey though. However there are some Cigars that just don't go with Bourbons or Scotches, as they interfere with the flavor of the drink... Strong Sticks with strong earthy or sweet flavors, I prefer to drink a beer or a cheap whiskey that isn't wasted.
But, if you have never tried it, read up on how Cubans used to dip their Cigars in Rum & Molasses or Honey, and rub it in. I tried it once and it was really good.

As long as your tasting and learning Whiskey's with good friends, or smoking that Opus X that you can only get at the Holidays, the important thing is you enjoy it. Don't let others tell you what you should like or that you can't pair your stogy with a yoo-hoo if you enjoy that, it's all subjective, we all taste that same bourbon differently.
Nice response! Are you an Eagle Rare fan?

Reactions: Tri-Cities Nole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT