ADVERTISEMENT

WARCHANT Bourbon Thread

Looks like i've been missing out. Just picked up an Elijah Craig 18. Nothing else too exciting here in VA, missed out on a weller full proof.

Reactions: -OB1-
Probably went a little crazy this week. Oh well...tis’ the season.

Hadn’t seen a Sazerac Rye pick. At $19.99 I said screw it & bought a case. 😉

Probably went a little crazy this week. Oh well...tis’ the season.

Hadn’t seen a Sazerac Rye pick. At $19.99 I said screw it & bought a case. 😉

last week I’ve picked up
Blantons
Eagle Rare
Weller Special Reserve
Buffalo Trace

I found a goldmine today, but it was so over priced.
Elmer t lee - $359.99
Stag. $450 & Stag Jr. 399
Old Fitzgerald - $169.99
Col Taylor - $129.99
WL Weller: $199
Weller COYPD - $599.99

last week I’ve picked up
Blantons
Eagle Rare
Weller Special Reserve
Buffalo Trace

Elmer t lee - $359.99
Old Fitzgerald - $169.99
Col Taylor - $129.99
Weller COYPD - $599.99
Those are prices I've seen and it was everywhere I went. Threw in the towel and went home empty handed.

last week I’ve picked up
Blantons
Eagle Rare
Weller Special Reserve
Buffalo Trace

Elmer t lee - $359.99
Old Fitzgerald - $169.99
Col Taylor - $129.99
Weller COYPD - $599.99

William Larue Weller was $199? I'd pay that in a second.

Anybody try Basil Hayden? Just heard I was getting a bottle for Christmas. Never tried it before.

Another week of buying too much. 😆

Can’t pass up FR barrel strength picks anymore when you find them. 2 bottle limit on each recipe, so of course I had to take advantage. 😉

That Old Elk is a wheated bourbon just under 6 years. Cracked it last night & really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Another week of buying too much. 😆

Can’t pass up FR barrel strength picks anymore when you find them. 2 bottle limit on each recipe, so of course I had to take advantage. 😉

That Old Elk is a wheated bourbon just under 6 years. Cracked it last night & really enjoyed it.
I bought my first bottle of FR small batch this week and really enjoyed it. How does it compare to the single barrel that you have there?

I bought my first bottle of FR small batch this week and really enjoyed it. How does it compare to the single barrel that you have there?

The difference is that Small Batch is a blend of their recipes & set at a specific standard 90 proof.
Single barrel store picks are from a single recipe & barrel. (1 of 10 recipes possible) They vary on proof as well since they’re barrel strength, which is going to be much higher than small batch. This all depends on how old they are & where they were placed in the Rickhouse, etc.

You can however find single barrels at 100 proof as well. Just depends on what the store selected.

I know it’s complicated... To answer the first part as to the comparisons...they really don’t compare. 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: chumleynole
The difference is that Small Batch is a blend of their recipes & set at a specific standard 90 proof.
Single barrel store picks are from a single recipe & barrel. (1 of 10 recipes possible) They vary on proof as well since they’re barrel strength, which is going to be much higher than small batch. This all depends on how old they are & where they were placed in the Rickhouse, etc.

You can however find single barrels at 100 proof as well. Just depends on what the store selected.

I know it’s complicated... To answer the first part as to the comparisons...they really don’t compare. 😆
Got it and thanks. I think they may have had a bottle on the shelf when I picked the small batch.

SIAP... but if you smell both Angels Envy Rye and Plantation 5 Gran Reserve Rum out of the top of their bottles... the smell exactly the same. Angels uses the rum barrels to age.

Just curious if you ever drink Scotch Whiskey. I drink mostly bourbon myself but there are some Scotch's I really like. Tonight I am drinking Bowmore 15. It is one of my favorites.

I dabble in some Speyside’s & Highlands. Mostly cask strength stuff. I also enjoy some cask strength Rums as well. I don’t drink them near as much as their corn cousin, but I get an itch for them here & there.

What's your take on Uncle Nearest?

Very cool story, but they’re sourcing & currently contract distilling their whiskey from Dickel from what we suspect. It just depends on if you enjoy that sugar maple charcoal filtered Lincoln County style profile you get from Dickel & Jack Daniels. Personally I think it’s priced a little high for what you get, but it’s not bad juice if you enjoy those two I mentioned.

Very cool story, but they’re sourcing & currently contract distilling their whiskey from Dickel from what we suspect. It just depends on if you enjoy that sugar maple charcoal filtered Lincoln County style profile you get from Dickel & Jack Daniels. Personally I think it’s priced a little high for what you get, but it’s not bad juice if you enjoy those two I mentioned.
Thanks. I thought the story was interesting also I’ll give it a shot one day

Have you tried Buffalo Trace wheat recipe ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT