ADVERTISEMENT

Westworld

Just a reminder new HBO series starts tonight at 9.

Yep, it looks amazing. I can't recall being more excited about a new series other than Game of Thrones and Daredevil. Of course I'm equally excited about American Gods and can't wait for that to come out.

I was so anticipating this series. So happy HBO got to do a series instead of some movie studio fn up a remake or reboot.

That was solid. Ed Harris as the man in black was great and so was the creator Anthony Hopkins.

Very well done. The music and production value was top notch. Paint it black! Great choice at the moment.

Hopefully everyone feels the same way and we get a few seasons.

I was so anticipating this series. So happy HBO got to do a series instead of some movie studio fn up a remake or reboot.

That was solid. Ed Harris as the man in black was great and so was the creator Anthony Hopkins.

Very well done. The music and production value was top notch. Paint it black! Great choice at the moment.

Hopefully everyone feels the same way and we get a few seasons.

Yep, my wife and I were discussing that the score and soundtrack were fantastic. I really loved the Paint it Black and Black Hole Sun covers.

But I thought it was 5 stars, it definitely lived up to my hype/expectations.

Should I watch the movie first? I liked the episode but still unsure what exactly is going on.

The movie was fantastic for its time and probably still ok by today's standards. So it's worth a watch, but I'd skip the sequel Futureworld and the old tv series Beyond Futureworld as they were only mediocre at best for the time and pretty bad by today's standards.

All you really need to know is that years of mistreatment of AIs eventually lead to the beginnings of the nuBattlestar Galactica. The rest is just the details.

9NwdJfy.gif

Continue your trip:
https://www.discoverwestworld.com/#explore

androids-milk.gif

WHAT IF Westeros is just a theme park, a different version of Westworld??

GifBillNye122415MindBlown.gif

Last edited:
I have no background on the series and generally don't care about Sci-FI stuff, but I dug the first episode a lot.

Damn that was good. I love the eerie tone and dark characters.

did anyone guess the guy on a train was an AI? A minor plot twist in the first episode. I love it.

The show really delivers right out the gates.

Well done!

Reactions: HulaNole
Damn that was good. I love the eerie tone and dark characters.

did anyone guess the guy on a train was an AI? A minor plot twist in the first episode. I love it.

The show really delivers right out the gates.

Well done!

Nope I didn't guess that out of the gate.

I have no background on the series and generally don't care about Sci-FI stuff, but I dug the first episode a lot.

This is good to know...I'm normally do not care for sci-fi, but sounds like it's worth checking out. HBO normally delivers regardless as well.

Thought it was interesting that Delores was the oldest host (robot) in the Park. So her round and round with the Man in Black has been going on for 30 years.

Loved the visuals in the opening credits.

Paint it Black was fantastic.

I totally missed Black Hole Sun on the piano and will have to check it out. Also Cash's 'Ain't No Grave' was great too.

Hopkins is very eerie as Robert Ford. Interesting name choice. I think most got the Jesse James reference but had no clue about Aldous Huxley‘s listed here in the Robert Ford section in this article.

If interested: http://www.thewrap.com/westworld-episode-1-shakespeare-quotes-explained/

The maze pattern on the host's scalp and also Delores swatting the fly at the end has me ready for Ep 2. Was the maze designed by Robert Ford or Bernie? I have to guess Ford at this point.

I'll go ahead an admit I am slow so could somebody help me with the man in black? Is he just a human who just happens to be more sadistic than the average guest?

Last edited:
I'll go ahead an admit I am slow so could som body help me with the man in black? Is he just a human who just happens to be more sadistic than the average guest?
Do you really want to know already? Wouldn't that spoil the fun?

Do you really want to know already? Wouldn't that spoil the fun?
That's a good point. I'll keep watching and see how it plays out.

From the previews I figured the man in black would be the main villain from the movie but then he appeared to be human so I was thrown a curve ball.

If he's human I wonder if he will just go full blown psychopath and kill everything causing human/droid to work together, or become an anti hero(like Tony Soprano-ish).

I'll go ahead an admit I am slow so could somebody help me with the man in black? Is he just a human who just happens to be more sadistic than the average guest?

Yes, the Man in Black is a human (well at least at this point but I think it will play out that way). He said he had been visiting the park for 30 years (and visiting Delores too). When Teddy was trying to defend Delores from the Man in Black he could not shoot him but could obviously kill the other hosts. The Man in Black was searching for something. He wasn't there playing out a programmed role over and over again.

Maybe he started off as a normal vacationing visitor years ago role playing and something changed. Maybe the hosts became too real for him over the years and it triggered something. Maybe once he fell in love with Delores but realized she would always forget him after the set was reset. I don't know. Just throwing out ideas.

From the previews I figured the man in black would be the main villain from the movie but then he appeared to be human

I think that is one of the main points. Not him specifically at this point, but that humans can be the villains.

Was curious about the photo the father found and what he whispered to Dolores? Don't know if the TV sound was bad or if the production made it dliberately difficult to hear what Dolores reported her father said to her
At the end, they asked Delores what her "dad" whispered to her and she said. Maybe someone else could give the exact details. To me it showed that daddy was awaking and questioning his existence.

Was curious about the photo the father found and what he whispered to Dolores? Don't know if the TV sound was bad or if the production made it dliberately difficult to hear what Dolores reported her father said to her

On what the father said to Dolores:
"These violent delights have violent ends." Jonathan Nolan said it is that phrase that matters, and has several meanings, and not whisper.

"Nolan: No, I think it’s the phrase itself that’s important. The seemingly innocuous phrase that has layers of meaning behind it."

Reference:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/02/westworld-premiere-interview

"It’'s a line from Romeo and Juliet, spoken by Friar Lawrence just before the young couple is married, in what turns out to be a premonition of the violence to come."

Reference:
http://www.gq.com/story/westworld-season-1-episode-1-recap

On what the father said to Dolores:
"These violent delights have violent ends." Jonathan Nolan said it is that phrase that matters, and has several meanings, and not whisper.

"Nolan: No, I think it’s the phrase itself that’s important. The seemingly innocuous phrase that has layers of meaning behind it."

Reference:
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/02/westworld-premiere-interview

"It’'s a line from Romeo and Juliet, spoken by Friar Lawrence just before the young couple is married, in what turns out to be a premonition of the violence to come."

Reference:
http://www.gq.com/story/westworld-season-1-episode-1-recap

Thanks, Hula. In an openner filled with critical moments, this seemed especially important. Looking forward to episode 2!

Reactions: HulaNole
Great first episode.

The man in black is crazy. He pretty much raped Delores.

My biggest fear is that Abrams/HBO has no clue where they are going with the writing. I could see this being an entertaining 3-4 seasons and then start to fizzle out...BUT, I hope that's not the case. That almost happened to GoT but it looks at if they have pulled it back together this past season.

We shall see, but regardless I'm hooked.

Well Delores is an Android so technically she can't be raped... but I see your point.

My guess is that's it a host who managed to reprogram itself or is a long term research project into AI.
Just for full disclosure, I am a huge fan of the orginial movie so.

So why do the designers and people who run the park know about him? They are supposed to know the location of every Host.

My guess is that's it a host who managed to reprogram itself or is a long term research project into AI.

That is what I am led to believe but I thought human because he could not be shot... but if he was able to manipulate his programming I guess he could get by that.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Just for full disclosure, I am a huge fan of the orginial movie so.

So why do the designers and people who run the park know about him? They are supposed to know the location of every Host.

True but there is that large mostly abandoned warehouse we saw. Also, they already established there's at least two "factions" or separate interests with the "corporation" having a different agenda than the "government" and the scientists especially Anthony Hopkins but also the black dude seem to have their own agendas as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT