ADVERTISEMENT

Which goal is more impressive?

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
Ronaldo's bicycle kick:

Or Zlatan's long goal which almost never happens from this far:

Zlatan for me.
Ronaldo’s is impressive, but the curve and dip on Zlatan’s strike (on the bounce from a long pass) is more impressive to me. The view from the stands behind the goal is where you can see how that ball moves.
I guess I’m with Wilbon on the bicycle kick...

Ronaldo for three reasons.... 1) long goal is just a drop it behind the keeper who has to come out. Sure it might not happen but its not a spectacular threading the needle kind of feat 2) Bicycle kick has so much more going on 3) Zlatan is a DB dirty player.

Ronaldo - timing is everything!

Zlatan's goal was the most impressive IMO. Galaxy is playing the Dynamo on Cinco de Mayo. Should be a great atmosphere.

I think Zlatan's by a hair. This was just an incredible week of soccer all around. Orlando finally came out of their slump now that many of their missing pieces are back, that LA game was insane, and some of these Champions league matches (Including that goal) have been fantastic.

Reactions: fsUTampa
Zlatan for me.
Ronaldo’s is impressive, but the curve and dip on Zlatan’s strike (on the bounce from a long pass) is more impressive to me. The view from the stands behind the goal is where you can see how that ball moves.
I guess I’m with Wilbon on the bicycle kick...

Your point about the long strike is what made me consider that there is at least a small debate. We try the long kicks in youth soccer if someone can strike the ball from afar and it goes over the keepers head, "luckly" placed into the net. You rarely see this in pro soccer (at least I don't) because of how good the keeper and defense is.

If soccer ever bans the header the bicycle kick will become ever so popular ;):)

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu1jreed
I think Zlatan's by a hair. This was just an incredible week of soccer all around. Orlando finally came out of their slump now that many of their missing pieces are back, that LA game was insane, and some of these Champions league matches (Including that goal) have been fantastic.

The LA game was nuts.
I had almost written off Orlando - but was very glad to see them beat NYRB.

The LA game was nuts.
I had almost written off Orlando - but was very glad to see them beat NYRB.

It's way too early to write them off yet. We played the first 3 games missing almost 5 of our best players. Now that suspensions are lifted and all of the players (Aside from Pinho who's out for the year) are back and should be in shape by the next game, it's these next three games where we can judge just what Orlando is. There is too much talent on that team to be bad, but with all but one of the top players out to suspension or injury to start the year, it's difficult.

Reactions: fsUTampa
Ronaldo, 100%.

What is that keeper doing at the spot? LAG had possession, albeit freshly acquired, within 40 yards. Keeper should be on alert and having his back pedal ready to go. Honestly, that goal looks like something you'd see from MLS in 1998, shouldn't be happening due to quality increase in 2018.

Not a Ronaldo fan at all, but his is definitely more impressive than the long range goal of Zlatan. The keeper should have had an easy save on the long goal, but due to his poor positioning he had no shot. As for Ronaldo, he left Buffon (still arguably one of the best in the world) flat footed.

Reactions: Manch. and nynole1
Not sure why the keepers position has anything to do with his goal. He tracked a ball coming over his head, hit it perfect, in stride and would have sunk it regardless of keepers position.

Not sure why the keepers position has anything to do with his goal. He tracked a ball coming over his head, hit it perfect, in stride and would have sunk it regardless of keepers position.

It's a matter of being able to read the spin and distance from 35 yards. As soon as you see Z release the ball, you start your back pedal. Once the ball enters the box, you decide "I can catch/punch/deflect from the 6 or I need another step back due to top spin." Under no circumstances should that have gone in. The fact that he put it on frame from so far out with the trajectory is skillful, yes, but the fact that the keeper is closer to the spot than the end line is telling of poor quality.

It's a matter of being able to read the spin and distance from 35 yards. As soon as you see Z release the ball, you start your back pedal. Once the ball enters the box, you decide "I can catch/punch/deflect from the 6 or I need another step back due to top spin." Under no circumstances should that have gone in. The fact that he put it on frame from so far out with the trajectory is skillful, yes, but the fact that the keeper is closer to the spot than the end line is telling of poor quality.

Keeper was out of position because he'd taken the free kick from above, and outside, the box. To get back, he'd have pretty much needed to turn & run back to the net immediately after striking the free kick. It was a flukish combination of a strong header by the midfielder, followed by a misplay by a defender, followed by a great one-timer from Z. It was most certainly a great shot.

That said, Ronaldo's was better.

Reactions: Manch.
Ronaldo, 100%.

What is that keeper doing at the spot? LAG had possession, albeit freshly acquired, within 40 yards. Keeper should be on alert and having his back pedal ready to go. Honestly, that goal looks like something you'd see from MLS in 1998, shouldn't be happening due to quality increase in 2018.
MLS gonna MLS.

Reactions: GoNolesTX
poor quality of what?

Poor quality of form. The entire sequence did not happen in a flash. Re-watching, the GK is about 7 yards from his defenders, which means he sprinted upfield after clearing the free kick. Nothing good comes from that, from experience. The #1 reason to not play that close to your defenders is precisely what happened.

Reactions: nynole1
The Ronaldo version just had more power and the ball was a cross, moving fast...no way it should have happened. Which is why everyone was in shock. The crownd, the players on both sides...it was like "what?!?!?"

Zlatan's was awesome too, and clever as heck...but he had a bit more time to set and time that kick.

Poor quality of form. The entire sequence did not happen in a flash. Re-watching, the GK is about 7 yards from his defenders, which means he sprinted upfield after clearing the free kick. Nothing good comes from that, from experience. The #1 reason to not play that close to your defenders is precisely what happened.
Again, not sure how the keepers position takes away anything from the goal.

I just watched the replay, and saw a view from behind the goal.

- Yes, the GK took the free kick, but he sure didn't make it a priority to get back into position.
- When the ball bounced, just before Zlatan took the half-volley for his shot, the GK was just inside his 18-yard box, which was too far out.
- As the shot is heading back towards the net, the GK never makes it back as far as his 6-yard box, which is where he should have been.
- The ball entered the net in the middle and about chest height...it landed at the base of the net. If the GK was in his 6-yard box, it is a simple save as it would not have been at a height he couldn't reach.

Such a hot take. This happens every now-and-then at every level in every league at some point within a given season. Hell, anyone watch the Champions League quarters this week? Some stupid-bad goals in those matches, too.
If it were just this instance, maybe you'd have a point.

Ronaldo beat a world class keeper, who's reaction was as if he just buckled on a 12 to 6 curveball. Ibra beat a keeper who acted as if he were playing in an 8 year old bunch ball game. Take nothing away from Ibra's strike, it was awesome and awe inspiring, but the beaten keepers tell me that CR7's goal was 100% better. Better than Rooney's bicycle kick against City? Better than Ibra's long volley against England? Maybe, but to the question here, CR7's was better IMO.

Last edited:
Easily CR7 for an all time goal.
This also happened to be a Champions League quarterfinal at the ultra defensive Italian Champs. Infinitely more pressure on a huge stage.

Ibra has some great goals, often in meaningless games.

I’d expect in 10 years we’ll still be seeing the CR goal, like that old Zidane volley. I don’t think the Ibra goal will last as long

Last edited:
I’d expect in 10 years we’ll still be seeing the CR goal, like that old Zidane volley. I don’t think the Ibra goal will last as long

Ibra's goal will be the face of the MLS. Ronnie's goal will be the face of soccer and we will see it 1,000 times during the World Cup and 1,000 rimes during the rest of the CL.

Ramsey goal looks cool but it was an accidental goal, keeper gaffe on positioning. If keeper stays its an embarrassing miss, bizarre goal imho

Ramsey goal looks cool but it was an accidental goal, keeper gaffe on positioning. If keeper stays its an embarrassing miss, bizarre goal imho

Scratching head at that. I disagree with everything you say.

First, CR’s goal was “better” because of the wow factor and because of the stage. However, there was a fair amount of luck in his goal. There was much higher quality and skill in the Ramsey goal: the ball played in by Ozil was perfect - he saw the space and Ramsey moved into the space, the weight and placement could not have been better. It was a hell of an assist. Then Ramsey’s awareness of the bending pass, location on the field, and position of the keeper, combined with that touch on the outside of his foot made for a more unique goal than you saw from CR. And he played the keeper perfectly because the keeper did the very best he could; he held line (correct position) until all the defenders were beat and the ball was coming to the attacking player. He had to close Ramsey down to minimize the angle. Nothing more he could have done. It was a fantastic goal.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video/1203562051888

FSU's Deyna Castellanos

Sure the Keeper should never let this happen but I the guts it takes to try something like this is way over the top.

Scratching head at that. I disagree with everything you say.

First, CR’s goal was “better” because of the wow factor and because of the stage. However, there was a fair amount of luck in his goal. There was much higher quality and skill in the Ramsey goal: the ball played in by Ozil was perfect - he saw the space and Ramsey moved into the space, the weight and placement could not have been better. It was a hell of an assist. Then Ramsey’s awareness of the bending pass, location on the field, and position of the keeper, combined with that touch on the outside of his foot made for a more unique goal than you saw from CR. And he played the keeper perfectly because the keeper did the very best he could; he held line (correct position) until all the defenders were beat and the ball was coming to the attacking player. He had to close Ramsey down to minimize the angle. Nothing more he could have done. It was a fantastic goal.

https://www.foxsports.com/soccer/video/1203562051888

Fair enough, but Ramsey never turned his head to see a rushing goalie, which is how i know it was a lucky culmination of events. Great pass, bizarre flick on, strange choice by keeper to come out on a cross that far out, and suddenly its in the net. The only planned part was the great Ozil cross imho.

Speaking of great goals, I’ve actually seen a better goal than any of these that is hard to find on video.
Rafael van der vaart was younger, he went for a diving header on a cross and last second while in the air it was slightly deflected. He scorpion heeled the ball in. Remarkable instincts and no luck involved. Cheers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT