ADVERTISEMENT

Who was your favorite Tallahassee band back in the day?

Since a few current bands have been mentioned, I’ll throw out one - The Brown Goose. They are out of Tallahassee but play all over the southeast.

That was probably them. The guitarist was quite the shredder, and the singer went by the stage name Jaguar, if I recall correctly. You can search them on You Tube and find some old clips (Party in My Pants was probably their biggest hit).

After reading through some of this thread this morning, this afternoon I saw on a buddy's facebook page that the guitarist passed away today after battling cancer. Ziggy Luis. RIP, shredder.

CREED!!

scott-stapp-broke.jpg

I remember Hooker. Their singer was the son of Florida High's principal.

How about Four-in-Legion. I remember their guitarist, Ziggy, used to go out into the street and jam during the gigs at Bullwinkles.
Good times.

They were Crosscut Saw. Used to play at Tommy's all the time. We're going way back here.
Eli was also really good. Cookie was a great frontman.

More recently I'd second the votes for Zombie Birdhouse and Real Men. They were pretty solid.
Julian started with Crosscut when he was like 15 years old. I have seen some axe men in my time and he was something.
They were pretty much the house band at Seminole Tavern.
Last I heard he was teaching at Boston University.

X-101.5 was huge for music in Tally in the mid-late 90's. That cd they had was awesome. Creed, Groove Merchants, great line up. My favorite was Noel Hartaugh. Guy was awesome. Saw in a bunch in Floyds. Funny, took my girlfriend one year to see Sister Hazel in the Civic Center, the next year went to Floyds for 5 bucks and saw Hartaugh open for Sister Hazel. Bar scene in Tally in the mid-late 90's had solid music.
I miss Floyd's. No venue like it any longer.

Reactions: NoleLizards
What? No love for Bobby Goldsboro and the Webs?
Believe they came out of Dothan. Played at our house more than once. But not many of you were even born then.

IIRC Bobby Goldsboro was actually from Marianna.

I miss Floyd's. No venue like it any longer.
I still remember the day my band finally got to play at Floyd's. There were two defining moments for local bands back in those days. If you were picked to be a headlining act at Bullwinkles or getting a chance to play at Floyd's. We opened up for O.A.R at Floyd's and it was pretty great. Playing a 4 hour set at Bullwinkles was one of the best concert moments of our time however. We were in our second set, and there were like 30 people out there listening to us in the beer garden. We decided to end that set with a Creed song and suddenly within minutes it went from 30 people to several hundred people who came pouring out, and for the rest of the show it stayed packed. 4 hours of playing is exhausting however, not something I'm in any hurry to do again now that I'm 40. Maybe if we started at 4:30 in the afternoon or something, lol.

Reactions: ericram
I still remember the day my band finally got to play at Floyd's. There were two defining moments for local bands back in those days. If you were picked to be a headlining act at Bullwinkles or getting a chance to play at Floyd's. We opened up for O.A.R at Floyd's and it was pretty great. Playing a 4 hour set at Bullwinkles was one of the best concert moments of our time however. We were in our second set, and there were like 30 people out there listening to us in the beer garden. We decided to end that set with a Creed song and suddenly within minutes it went from 30 people to several hundred people who came pouring out, and for the rest of the show it stayed packed. 4 hours of playing is exhausting however, not something I'm in any hurry to do again now that I'm 40. Maybe if we started at 4:30 in the afternoon or something, lol.
Man that is pretty awesome. I am so disappointed in the music scene as of late in Tally. For whatever reason we can't even get big name bands (other than freaking country acts) to play here. In the past I have seen, Elton John, Billy Joel, The Eagles, 311, and Tool to name a few. It's been a long while since we had those kind of acts here.

Man that is pretty awesome. I am so disappointed in the music scene as of late in Tally. For whatever reason we can't even get big name bands (other than freaking country acts) to play here. In the past I have seen, Elton John, Billy Joel, The Eagles, 311, and Tool to name a few. It's been a long while since we had those kind of acts here.
I wonder if that has anything to do with FSU taking over ownership of the Civic Center?

Floyd's and Bull's were my favorite bars during my time from '94-'98. I do rememeber the Groove Merchants playing at frat parties as well as some of the bars. A Doors cover band, The Backdoors (I think they were called), played at Floyd's a good bit and they were always a good show.

goes back a few years but the BITTER IND, the ONE EYED JACKS, and THE INTRUDERS (?). played with the bitter ind for 6 months so am prejudice as to which is the best.
I was going to say Bitter Ind

Never saw live bands at Floyd's, but had a blast drinking and dancing with friends on "Old Wave Night".

How did you find this thread? Good job!!!!

Quite by accident! It all started with me looking up something online about Tallahassee, and proceeded to go on an internet deep-dive that eventually brought me to this site and this post!

I still visit Tallahassee often, by the way. My mother actually lives there, as well as a number of old friends. Not *this* weekend, though, I try to avoid Tallahassee when there is an FSU football home game. A seething mass of humanity and the already bad traffic gets worse. I watch my Noles on the telly instead. ;-)

Cheers,

Bill

Reactions: Nole Daddy
Hello, all. I just saw this thread and thought I probably should chime in. I lived in the Tallahassee area for many years and attended FSU in the late 80s/early 90s. I plugged myself into the music scene fairly early on...I love catching live music of all kinds (still do when I can), and play a bit myself...although not so much these days. Good Times. ;-)

Lots of great musicians and bands in Tallahassee in those days...some were all-original, some cover bands, some mixed it up. Some standout bands for me from that period were (in no particular order):

Slapstick
John Kurzweg (later produced the first three Creed albums!)
Bill Wharton
Big Bang/The Bang
The Mustard Seeds (Kenny Howes' band)
The Woodpeckers (singer John Hopkins is now in the Zac Brown Band)
The Pedestrians
The Casual T's
Hooker
Gruel
Singing Spoons
Insect Fear
Frankenfinger
Crüxshadows
Groove Merchants
Spider Monkey
Real Men
John Laenerts (in recent years has toured with Sebastian Bach, among others)
Zombie Birdhouse
Johari Window

I am probably forgetting a few at the moment, but you get the idea.

Cheers,

Bill
Great list. Well done, mate.

Reactions: wkargel
Great list. Well done, mate.
The drummer from 911 was the producer on my band's recording project in 2000 or so. They changed their name after 9-11, but I don't recall what they changed it to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT