ADVERTISEMENT

Who was your favorite Tallahassee band back in the day?

They were also known as Rock City. Lucia playing rhythm guitar and singing a good bit (did some great Pretenders covers) and Jerry Thigpen playing lead guitar and also singing. I think they toured regionally for a while and opened up for some big acts, but Lucia apparently had a serious illness and had to hang it up. Jerry still plays around town - he's a big-time talent.

Reactions: wkargel
They were also known as Rock City. Lucia playing rhythm guitar and singing a good bit (did some great Pretenders covers) and Jerry Thigpen playing lead guitar and also singing. I think they toured regionally for a while and opened up for some big acts, but Lucia apparently had a serious illness and had to hang it up. Jerry still plays around town - he's a big-time talent.

I remember Hooker. Their singer was the son of Florida High's principal.

How about Four-in-Legion. I remember their guitarist, Ziggy, used to go out into the street and jam during the gigs at Bullwinkles.
Was Four in Legion the rock band who played at Bullwinkles in early 80's, The lead guitarist would put his cig on the neck of his guitar and jam?

Was Four in Legion the rock band who played at Bullwinkles in early 80's, The lead guitarist would put his cig on the neck of his guitar and jam?
That was probably them. The guitarist was quite the shredder, and the singer went by the stage name Jaguar, if I recall correctly. You can search them on You Tube and find some old clips (Party in My Pants was probably their biggest hit).

Saying the best is Creed is faint praise although the first album was pretty good and holds up well and Alter Bridge (aka Creed minus Scott Stapp) has been decent.

Their first album, My Own Prison, was released in '97 and was their best and was better than just "pretty good," imho.

Human Clay was actually their biggest selling album (20 million+) and was released in '99 and won them a Grammy in 2001. Yes, Grammy's are meaningless, but it's still somewhat indicative of popularity.

Weathered, released in 2001, wasn't spectacular, but it entered the charts at #1 and stayed there for eight consecutive weeks and sold more than 6 million copies just in the U.S.

Creed had a solid 4-5 year run where they were constantly on the radio and releasing hits. While some people might not like them, saying they were Tallahassee's best band isn't "faint praise," it's recognizing a successful band.

That was probably them. The guitarist was quite the shredder, and the singer went by the stage name Jaguar, if I recall correctly. You can search them on You Tube and find some old clips (Party in My Pants was probably their biggest hit).
That was them! I looked them up on utube. Brought back some memories. What a great rockin time in Bullwinkles.

Yes, Presence. I actually think an old roommate still has one of their cds.

My friend from high school was the bass player in Presence. He's a phenomenal musician. After Presence disbanded I heard he worked with Amy Lee from Evanesence for a while. Think he is doing something with music production now.

The Vandals before they got the record deal and became Four In Legion. Ziggy could absolutely kick azz on the guitar The guy was amazing. Loved his M-16 guitar!! Who else would go out in the middle of W tenn st at midnight playing the solo to acdc's let there be rock!? Good times!!

And another vote for both Real Men and Groove Merchants.

They were two of my favorites as well. It's funny that with members of both bands moving on/moving away, The Groove Merchants was eventually (and I think still is), made up of the lead singer and drummer from The Groove Merchants, and the bass player and guitarist from Real Men.

I think the Bitter Ind was the best rock band in the mid-60s, but Rita Coolidge had the best voice I had ever heard.
agree on both counts. scott, butch, and dave had incredible voices enabling them to do the more difficult harmony stuff as simon and Garfunkel and the byrds. agree also on rita and knew her when she was a student at fsu. her group was rita rail and raker john I believe. anyway super talents

ok another one from back when, Merrills Marauders. anyone remember them?? the marauders and dark horsemen date to the old Keg days.

My friend from high school was the bass player in Presence. He's a phenomenal musician. After Presence disbanded I heard he worked with Amy Lee from Evanesence for a while. Think he is doing something with music production now.
That was DJ Strange.

Bands not mentioned: Core, Pivitol, Cruxshadows, and Blinded by Zeus.

Hello, all. I just saw this thread and thought I probably should chime in. I lived in the Tallahassee area for many years and attended FSU in the late 80s/early 90s. I plugged myself into the music scene fairly early on...I love catching live music of all kinds (still do when I can), and play a bit myself...although not so much these days. Good Times. ;-)

Lots of great musicians and bands in Tallahassee in those days...some were all-original, some cover bands, some mixed it up. Some standout bands for me from that period were (in no particular order):

Slapstick
John Kurzweg (later produced the first three Creed albums!)
Bill Wharton
Big Bang/The Bang
The Mustard Seeds (Kenny Howes' band)
The Woodpeckers (singer John Hopkins is now in the Zac Brown Band)
The Pedestrians
The Casual T's
Hooker
Gruel
Singing Spoons
Insect Fear
Frankenfinger
Crüxshadows
Groove Merchants
Spider Monkey
Real Men
John Laenerts (in recent years has toured with Sebastian Bach, among others)
Zombie Birdhouse
Johari Window

I am probably forgetting a few at the moment, but you get the idea.

Cheers,

Bill

Good revival.

Seeing the defense of Creed makes me laugh. My wife was at South Carolina at the same time I was in Tallahassee and we often debate who had it worse — me with Creed or her with Hootie & the Blowfish — getting ubiquitous airplay.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I wasn't in to the local music scene at all in my college days, but I remember several of the names mentioned in this thread. Real Men, Woodpeckers, Zombie Birdhouse, and a couple of others must have been regulars from '90-'94. I'm sure I stumbled past them at one bar or another, but sadly never paid them any attention. I remember one kid who played drums in a local band my freshman year. He lived down the hall from my roommate and I in Gilchrist '90-'91. My roommate was (and is) an amazing artist. He drew a perfect reproduction of Baby Jin, the big fat Chinese baby that was always on the cover of supermarket tabloids back in the day on a big piece of cardboard that the drummer cut out to use for his bass drum cover. I don't remember the name of their band, but if anyone from that time saw a group whose drummer had a picture of Baby Jin on his bass drum, that would be the band. Maybe their name was Jin? By the way, that former roommate is now a quasi-celebrity cake/chocolate sculptor. He has been on Food Network and The View and some other shows. He can speed-sculpt life-size people/things with chocolate and fondit and whatever he uses. Pretty amazing. I'll cool story bro myself, thanks.

Yes! They could never quite achieve major success because their bass player was a massive douche. He was their Scott Stapp.
And he has bass face.
tumblr_n1q3dh4y9h1ttcbr8o1_400-gif.516736

I'm only 37, so not officially old yet, but I do agree that the music industry is changing very rapidly. In some ways it is very good, in others not at all. Musicians, with the help of the internet, are being able to reclaim their souls and release the music they want. So the independent groups out there are creating some very interesting music and being able to reach those hardcore music fans who truly do appreciate great music. However, the industry as a whole is not supporting the band movement right now, and are simply pushing a bunch of pop down everyone's throats, so for those who don't have the time or interest to search for music, it is worse.

I think in someways it is changing for better. You can’t find good music on the radio. Radio in many ways is dead to new rock type bands and dead overall. The kids who like indie to alternative to rock bands these days find their bands on YouTube and Spotify. Additionally, the bands can make music super cheap these days and distribut nationwide digitally without a huge label sucking all the money out. So you have a lot of good bands out there surviving and touring with small followings, that never could have made it in the original rock band model.

Yep...Loved Rock City. Jerry Thigpen is the real deal. Glad to hear he's still around. If I'm not mistaken, he and Lucia were married.

Maybe I am an old fart but music is in a bad place. Hopefully a movement will come in and bring back bands.

First of all the kids would have to look away from their phones and take the ear buds out. Maybe a band could stream the music while playing at the bar on a music app everyone could view it from while at the same bar. That way one could watch a band play live without the horror of putting the phone down.

Reactions: Nole-4-Life
Hello, all. I just saw this thread and thought I probably should chime in. I lived in the Tallahassee area for many years and attended FSU in the late 80s/early 90s. I plugged myself into the music scene fairly early on...I love catching live music of all kinds (still do when I can), and play a bit myself...although not so much these days. Good Times. ;-)

Lots of great musicians and bands in Tallahassee in those days...some were all-original, some cover bands, some mixed it up. Some standout bands for me from that period were (in no particular order):

Slapstick
John Kurzweg (later produced the first three Creed albums!)
Bill Wharton
Big Bang/The Bang
The Mustard Seeds (Kenny Howes' band)
The Woodpeckers (singer John Hopkins is now in the Zac Brown Band)
The Pedestrians
The Casual T's
Hooker
Gruel
Singing Spoons
Insect Fear
Frankenfinger
Crüxshadows
Groove Merchants
Spider Monkey
Real Men
John Laenerts (in recent years has toured with Sebastian Bach, among others)
Zombie Birdhouse
Johari Window

I am probably forgetting a few at the moment, but you get the idea.

Cheers,

Bill
How did you find this thread? Good job!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT